Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
not to sound like a Three Olives but that’s a case where I’d be looking to put a camera up of some sort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Dumb question… why are AA batteries measured in mAh but BEVs in kWh?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I’d say because BEV nominal voltage is not standardised like it is for AA batteries.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tayter Swift posted:

Because 0.004275kwh sounds lame as gently caress.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

DoLittle posted:

I’d say because BEV nominal voltage is not standardised like it is for AA batteries.

Yep

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

One of the guys at work was showing photos of his newly installed EVSE he'd mounted on the side of his house with the cord cut. Now he's out a few hundred bucks to repair it, plus whatever the turnaround time is with the vendor. Not worth claiming on home insurance, since the deductible is higher than the repair. He's out in the burbs. You don't hear much about copper theft in Canada but I guess it can happen anywhere. Short of building a solid metal box around the thing, I'm not sure what you can do to prevent it.
I know its basically zero effort, zero time, but there's only maybe $20 scrap value of copper in an EVSE cable. Seems like there's better things to rob to get you $20, but what do I know.

As long as the local scrap yard is willing to pay for obviously stolen parts, you are going to have random parts stolen.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Nitrox posted:

If the sticker says 20-24 mpg, the real world numbers are in the mid teens.

I've been saying it, we need an EPA Estimated Mileage value for Driving Like An rear end in a top hat

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Nitrox posted:

As long as the local scrap yard is willing to pay for obviously stolen parts, you are going to have random parts stolen.

this, but also stripped copper wire is stripped copper wire. there's not much way to differentiate between someone who scrapped their washer/dryer combo or a bundle of old extension cords and someone who cut a charger cord as long as all the insulation's gone

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

DoLittle posted:

I thought many modern BEVs use somewhere around 400V. I think I've heard that even 800V cars like Hyundai's/Kia's eGMP cars operate at 400V but configure themselves to 800V for faster DC charging. Then again, that's not common knowledge or readily advertised and there surely are outliers and A-h is a useless metric without the corresponding voltage.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

DoLittle posted:

And also mAh is a bigger number.

Watt-hour / kWh is a way better method of measuring how much work a battery can do.

The easiest way to explain it is marketing loving with perceptions.

One place advertises their battery is a whole 6 amp-hours and 50 volts which makes it better than the other place who advertises their battery is a whole 60 volts and 5 amp-hours which makes it better than the first place's battery.
The reality? Both batteries are 300 Watt-hours.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Edward IV posted:

I thought many modern BEVs use somewhere around 400V. I think I've heard that even 800V cars like Hyundai's/Kia's eGMP cars operate at 400V but configure themselves to 800V for faster DC charging. Then again, that's not common knowledge or readily advertised and there surely are outliers and A-h is a useless metric without the corresponding voltage.

Their pack voltages are not all the same even for the same vehicle between trims. According to some searching, the ev6 light has a pack voltage of 522.7 and the trims above are 697. Similarly, the ev9 light has a pack voltage of 632 and every other trim apparently is 550.

The big thing is AAs are single cells, so the voltage is dictated by chemistry while pack voltage depends on how the cells are arranged

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Power is the best way to measure battery capacity, it's just really easy to convert Ah to Wh in a 1.5 Bolt AA cell, because a 10 Ah cell is 15 Wh.

With how charge curves work, power makes it much simpler to see rate of charge, since a charger may vary voltage as the pack charges to control current, adding a variable that displaying a kWh charge rate eliminates.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

trevorreznik posted:

Anyone seen a car like this before? I think it's an EV conversion but I don't know cars very well let alone EVs

Gen 1 VW rabbit.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

trevorreznik posted:

Anyone seen a car like this before? I think it's an EV conversion but I don't know cars very well let alone EVs

VW Rabbit of some sort. I don't know enough about cars to know why but VW in the 80s and maybe other periods had the Golf/Rabbit and Jetta/Fox pairing where I think the animal named ones were lower spec or something?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

One of the guys at work was showing photos of his newly installed EVSE he'd mounted on the side of his house with the cord cut. Now he's out a few hundred bucks to repair it, plus whatever the turnaround time is with the vendor. Not worth claiming on home insurance, since the deductible is higher than the repair. He's out in the burbs. You don't hear much about copper theft in Canada but I guess it can happen anywhere. Short of building a solid metal box around the thing, I'm not sure what you can do to prevent it.
I know its basically zero effort, zero time, but there's only maybe $20 scrap value of copper in an EVSE cable. Seems like there's better things to rob to get you $20, but what do I know.

God drat that sucks, hundreds of dollars in damage for what amounts to almost no scrap value. Fuckin thieves

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That's why socketed EVSEs make more sense - cable is only exposed to theft while it's actively being used and if it does get stolen (or run over) you can simply plug a new one in.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

BMW tried with the i3. 60, 94, or 120 Ah were the three official model designations during its lifespan.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

cursedshitbox posted:

Gen 1 VW rabbit.

Thanks. I ended up googling the "ev garage" and it's in fact, not an EV conversion. Which I probably should have guessed from the gas cap and tail pipe but for some reason I thought they'd been left on since I was excited about seeing a conversion car and jumped to the wrong conclusion.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
First road trip in model 3. Have to say I am impressed at how well the advertised range holds up. Distance was 210 miles, three adults in the car, a whole lot of luggage, water, food. The Tesla navigation when I'd checked previously was saying even if starting at 100% charge we would want to do l stop at a supercharger about 3/4 through the trip in order to arrive there with more than 15% battery.
As it was we didn't have to charge at all and still had 35% when we arrived. Temperature about 7 celcius and we had a half hour stop over at a service station to get some dinner (during which I expected the battery to cool down and lose a bunch of range but it didn't). Driving at 75mph most of the way too.

Probably I shouldn't be surprised/impressed, I guess maybe I just heard too many 'range won't be as advertised' warnings. Then again the car is new so I guess I will lose a decent chunk of range in the next year or so before it settles.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

El Grillo posted:

Then again the car is new so I guess I will lose a decent chunk of range in the next year or so before it settles.

Not really, no.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I’m 2.5 years into my M3LR and it really hasn’t lost anything significant. This weekend and last I went to a local theme park (240mi round trip) and got back home with 20% left each time, same as the years before. I’m sure eventually it will but it’s fine now

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Almost end of year 6 (70K miles) on an M3LR and I'm at about 6% range loss. New I would get 304 rated miles, and now it's in the high 280s, sometimes just breaking 290.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
How do you measure that? Just by the estimated miles range on the in-car nav when it's charged to 100%?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

El Grillo posted:

How do you measure that? Just by the estimated miles range on the in-car nav when it's charged to 100%?

Yep. Tesla simply multiplies the battery capacity by their rated efficiency.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Aha ok. Mine showed 340 mi which I think is the EPA rated range

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Any calculation for how many miles the car can go at a given charge is going to be at least semi-bullshit. The car doesn't know what those 200 miles are going to be like until it gets there.

Like, I live in a pretty mountainous region (in as much as the Northeast has mountains), so most of my driving is either up or down a couple thousand feet, with brief periods of being in a valley in between. Whenever I'm going up the projected milage tanks because the car is doing a bunch more work fighting gravity, but whenever I'm going down and just letting regen braking run wild it projects that I have insane range. I wind up netting roughly ish what it's calculating at the beginning of the drive on a long enough timeline a lot of the time, but it can't give me live updates. Because most of the time it's calculating like I'm going up or down an infinite 45-degree angled plane.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My PHEV got a software update and now on a full charge it shows 80km up from 60-64. I imagine it is just needing some driving time to get it back to more “real world” numbers. 64km is the official battery range.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Any calculation for how many miles the car can go at a given charge is going to be at least semi-bullshit. The car doesn't know what those 200 miles are going to be like until it gets there.

Just got back from Tennessee. Observations:

• Tesla desperately needs a charger between Oklahoma City and Van Buren, AR
  • Seems like slowing down 2mph gets you back 1% on the battery (slowing down 10mph gets you 5%)
  • We lost a few charging stop companions who probably had to divert to Tulsa because people hate to drive under the speed limit

Also we started looking at installing a ham radio, cb radio, or just a scanner, so we can get NOAA weather radio on trips. We avoided the tornadoes this time, but only because there were two of us, so one could gently caress around with the web browser while the other one drove. The couple from California who pulled in next to us had no idea there was a PDS tornado watch across the entire eastern half of Oklahoma.

Lastly, the CCS retrofit actually worked up to 75kW, which was great, because even slowing down from Van Buren to Oklahoma City was not enough to counteract a 45mph headwind.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Unless if it's very cold out or you have insane headwind, 70MPH will give you the rated efficiency or better in a Tesla. I typically go 80 if the speed limit's 70+ since there's (mostly) chargers everywhere.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
I kind of prefer looking as State of Charge(%) as opposed to miles, and doing the estimations in my head.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Freezer posted:

I kind of prefer looking as State of Charge(%) as opposed to miles, and doing the estimations in my head.

Same, I’ve had my car on % instead of miles since day one and I never regretted it

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I’ve been trying to set mine to just kwhs but it doesn’t wanna let me.

This is heavily hindered by me refusing to put more effort than 2-3 minutes, cumulatively, thumbing through menus.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

I’ve been trying to set mine to just kwhs but it doesn’t wanna let me.

This is heavily hindered by me refusing to put more effort than 2-3 minutes, cumulatively, thumbing through menus.

even that would be an estimate, wouldn't it? isn't it measuring the battery voltage? i feel like that's what you want to look at if you're gonna have a dick measuring contest about tracking state of charge

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cactus Ghost posted:

even that would be an estimate, wouldn't it? isn't it measuring the battery voltage? i feel like that's what you want to look at if you're gonna have a dick measuring contest about tracking state of charge

Uhh pretty rude to assume my intent, chief.

I want kwh because that’s a measure of work and because the math is a lot easier to do in my head.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

sorry. what i meant was, I want to have a dick-measuring contest about tracking the state of charge

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Cactus Ghost posted:

sorry. what i meant was, I want to have a dick-measuring contest about tracking the state of charge

Cactus Ghost measures dicks in units of Joules.

Don't ask.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cactus Ghost posted:

No worries.

Whatever you do though, you should abuse the metric system and measure it in something with a prefix like “nano”. If you’re having a recreational dick-measuring contest, you want a lot of zeroes on the ends of your numbers.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

tuning my dashboard jacob's ladder so that at a full charge it cycles at 2hz, and at a good "charge now or get stuck soon" level, maybe 20%, it cycles at 1hz

the various respiratory diseases from constant ozone exposure are just the price you pay to do things the right way

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Just drive with your window down. Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
there's a bike lock that gases a bike thief that tries to cut it, maybe an evse cable shield thats permanently wired to the mainline?