Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The folks building these got 4 raises as well right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Haha yes thank you exactly what I was imagining as well.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

So I can't recall specific instances of this because I was young and not paying too much attention but it seems / feels like I remember a lot of car marketing ads in the US really pushing crash test videos, safety results etc more heavily in the mid-late 90s than before. I wonder if that had an impact (pun not intended) on SUV sales as the "safer" option vs that Honda Accord over there etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cruft posted:

General Motors is doing away with Android Auto and Apple Carplay in their EVs, and the first model with this exciting new change will be the Equinox.

I believe their plan is to charge you every month for it.

Can't recall the source but this was a quote from it when this discussion came up initially.

quote:

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto systems allow users to mirror their smartphone screens in a vehicle's dashboard display.

GM's decision to stop offering those systems in future electric vehicles, starting with the 2024 Chevrolet Blazer, could help the automaker capture more data on how consumers drive and charge EVs.

"We do believe there are subscription revenue opportunities for us," Kummer said. GM Chief Executive Mary Barra is aiming for $20 billion to $25 billion in annual revenue from subscriptions by 2030.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cruft posted:

Thanks for the correction. I just fell asleep at my desk, maybe I need to stop trying to do important things for the day.

I think you got it right

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

cruft posted:

Well, except they're starting with the Blazer and not Equinox. I dunno. I can't even be right at being right. I need to get to bed early tonight.

Anyway the larger point is that GM plans to deliberately crap things up as a way of getting more money out of you.

Lol I didn’t even notice don’t feel bad at all

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The nice thing about my PHEV is that i dont get stressed over finding a working charger on a trip.

Its a good spot to be in. Definitely getting a full EV on the next purchase though since we are a 2 car family again.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nessus posted:

You can get a Prius you can plug in? Because poo poo fire I might get this Apple Mouse looking car then.

My daily driver is a 2018 Prime. My normal commute is well within its EV range so i have like lifetime 150mpg on the car. Im a big fan

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Elviscat posted:

Are you the guy that parks at my reserved charger at work, then leaves his car parked there all night even though it's done charging after an hour?

I know you're not, I just wanted to complain about that.

Lol i get it. Nah tho i can do the round trip on one charge so i never bother charging the car unless its at my house.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Elviscat posted:

And there's always the EV hummer, for those who refuse to deny any loads.

Is that what your moms driving?

:slick:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Three Olives posted:

I think everyone agrees that range estimates are not always accurate, much less very accurate, even when the car is doing the best job it can do with the data it has, you could turn on the highway and hit a very strong headwind or something.

The problem here is Elon is taking advantage of a very key fact, almost all people with long range EVs very rarely drive them outside of the typical daily commute of 40~ miles, it is taking advantage of this by deceiving users of what the car is calculating as the actual range is within almost all of it's usage purposefully because it creates better consumer sentiment. It's doing this intentionally, if you think you have 400 miles of range, you commute 40 miles a day, and the car tells you that you have 360 miles of range when you plug it in every day, but the car actually knows it has only 280 miles and it is hiding it from you, It's deceptive as gently caress and shows that the company is rotten to the core and I hope they are sued over it, it reflects poorly on all EVs.

This.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

bird with big dick posted:

It actually has a lot do with the EPA testing but I suspect most people that are posting don't understand why:

Except that's not really what's happening.

The car doesn't know it only has 280 miles of range because it's not psychic and when you get into it in the morning it doesn't know whether you're going to be driving around town at 35 mph all day doing errands (which to continue using your 360/280 numbers would result in a real world range of probably 400+ miles) or getting on the highway doing 85 with the heater set to 90F (which would probably result in a real world range of <200 miles).

So which number do you think it should display? City driving with no HVAC? Highway with heater blasting? Average of the two? 60/40 split like Edmund's testing? Constant 75 mph like insideev's testing? Range based off however you drove yesterday? How you drove the last week? Month? All time? None of them is right, none of them is a lie, all of them are going to be wildly inaccurate depending on what sort of driving you're going to do that day or if you drive outside your normal habits.

What it does is take the EPA number and multiply it by the SoC. It doesn't "know its range is 280 and lie to you." Because it doesn't know how you're going to drive that day. If it's all city you'll beat that number. If it's all highway you won't even get close to that number. So if you're saying its number is a lie you're saying the EPA number is a lie, hence all the discussion about how the EPA number is actually pretty poo poo but you can't blame that all on Tesla.

And as Edmund's testing shows, the EPA number is actually quite accurate as long as you're driving in roughly the proportions that they test. The majority of Teslas were between -0.9% and -3% compared to the EPA. That is pretty goddamn good. The M3P was well off for some reason (summer only pirellis) but people that buy cars with summer only Pirellis probably know and accept that it fucks their range.

And the second you plug in a destination that number essentially ceases to exist because it uses the actual speeds and hvac usage and energy consumption to plot your range/SoC on arrival (which it does considerably more accurately than Ford from my experience).

I don't even see the range number being complained about because as a non-moron I have my car set to display SoC. But if I did use it, it would actually probably be a lowball because nearly all my driving is currently closer to that 35 mph number.

I think it probably would be more useful if it displayed a range based on the last 200 miles of driving or whatever but to say that that number would be right and that using the EPA number is literally lying is just incorrect. All of the possible methods it could use will be wrong, some might be more or less useful dependent entirely on your driving habits.

Seemed like Edmunds data mentioned in the article was not as kind?

quote:

All five Tesla models tested by Edmunds failed to achieve their advertised range, the website reported in February 2021. All but one of 10 other models from other manufacturers exceeded their advertised range.

Tesla complained to Edmunds that the test failed to account for the safety buffer programmed into Tesla’s in-dash range meters. So Edmunds did further testing, this time running the vehicles, as Tesla requested, past the point where their range meters indicated the batteries had run out.

Only two of six Teslas tested matched their advertised range, Edmunds reported in March 2021. The tests found no fixed safety buffer.

Edmunds has continued to test electric vehicles, using its own standard method, to see if they meet their advertised range estimates. As of July, no Tesla vehicle had, Elfalan said.

“They've gotten really good at exploiting the rule book and maximizing certain points to work in their favor involving EPA tests,” Elfalan told Reuters. The practice can “misrepresent what their customers will experience with their vehicles.”

To me this is the more nasty bit anyway, as all have made valid points wrt estimated vs actual range and how its quite context dependent upon the weather and the driver habits.

quote:

If the remote diagnostics found anything else wrong with the vehicle that was not related to driving range, advisors were instructed not to tell the customer, one of the sources said. Managers told them to close the cases.

Tesla also updated its phone app so that any customer who complained about range could no longer book service appointments, one of the sources said. Instead, they could request that someone from Tesla contact them. It often took several days before owners were contacted because of the large backlog of range complaints, the source said.

[sic]

The team was expected to close about 750 cases a week. To accomplish that, office supervisors told advisers to call a customer once and, if there was no answer, to close the case as unresponsive, the source said. When customers did respond, advisers were told to try to complete the call in no more than five minutes.

In late 2022, managers aiming to quickly close cases told advisors to stop running remote diagnostic tests on the vehicles of owners who had reported range problems, according to one of the people familiar with the diversion team’s operations.

“Thousands of customers were told there is nothing wrong with their car” by advisors who had never run diagnostics, the person said.

Seems pretty poo poo to me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

priznat posted:

Yeah I’ve known a few people who went with a tesla over other brands just based on purported range so that’s sketchy as hell.

Lawyers who deal in class actions must be getting super excited.

Not a lawyer but those are pretty hard to do now from what I recall?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yall keep arguing about range inconsistency being fine and ignoring that the service depts are straight up lying to owners and not telling them if they have other problems / not doing service.

What the hell does any of that have to do with driving habits or EPA range policy inadequacy?

quote:

If the remote diagnostics found anything else wrong with the vehicle that was not related to driving range, advisors were instructed not to tell the customer, one of the sources said. Managers told them to close the cases.

Tesla also updated its phone app so that any customer who complained about range could no longer book service appointments, one of the sources said. Instead, they could request that someone from Tesla contact them. It often took several days before owners were contacted because of the large backlog of range complaints, the source said.

[sic]

The team was expected to close about 750 cases a week. To accomplish that, office supervisors told advisers to call a customer once and, if there was no answer, to close the case as unresponsive, the source said. When customers did respond, advisers were told to try to complete the call in no more than five minutes.

In late 2022, managers aiming to quickly close cases told advisors to stop running remote diagnostic tests on the vehicles of owners who had reported range problems, according to one of the people familiar with the diversion team’s operations.

“Thousands of customers were told there is nothing wrong with their car” by advisors who had never run diagnostics, the person said.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

Buddy they’ve been ignoring the actual article since before I can remember

Ahh geez ok.

I am neutral on Teslas but knowing their service dept is instructed to straight up not tell someone even if they found a problem, because it was unrelated to the complaint they consider an annoyance, is a bit too much for me to just handwave away.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, but how often do 2 clerks get murdered at the same gas station?

:holymoley:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Honestly I hadn't kept up with car news for a while and the 1st like 5 times I saw Mach-E's around I never equated the pony emblem on the front with Ford nor a Mustang and I thought it was just some new electric car company logo that I hadn't heard about yet.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Our home vehicles are a 2017 Prius Prime (with the big giant center touchscreen) and a 2018 Rav4 (with a very small touchscreen).

Having both to compare often is handy. I vastly vastly prefer the Rav4 setup. The touchscreen is minimal and useful for phone addresses, reading texts, changing audio and bluetooth inputs etc. All climate controls and other things all have solid switch, dial, button interface. Basically the touch screen is just there for entertainment and communications functions that don't need to be often accessed while driving. It's a good setup imo and the touchscreen is slightly recessed within the console and below a protruding dash so glare is never really a concern.

For the Prius a few touchscreen control options are also duplicated as buttons, but they are around the console and not well grouped by function etc. Also the panel itself serves as a convenient mirror to direct the morning or evening commute sun directly into ones eyes depending on which direction they are driving. Overall the backup buttons help and are used 95% of the time over the touchscreen. The touchscreen has handy features like popping up a brandname for the stereo components right over the pause key on the audio, so if you start the car or turn the audio on, you have to click it first then click pause if something is blaring. It's also a much smaller "button" and closer to other buttons than it would be on a physical panel which requires you to really look at it while driving or end up fast forwarding instead of pausing etc. Couple that to the glare and it's a pretty miserable experience.

A small communications / entertainment touchscreen in a center console makes sense to me, beyond that I really dislike having the large panels and need for touchscreen input while driving.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

need this with a side of sixer

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

look, if the doors are unlocked, then the car should be “on” and ready to move. It’s that simple

every mechanics dream

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Basch lives! posted:

So it's socially acceptable for a homeless guy to give my mach e the thumbs up of approval but not to own an ev. I reject such a society.

Haha

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Prius PHEV at least has fairly low maintenance requirements fwiw. I get a lot of usage out of ours. Our daily work and typical errands trips are all full EV so in averaging about 130mpg lifetime for the car.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Looks better than the current big 3 standard truck offerings. Lowest of bars ofc

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I don’t know what the new Tundras look like. Im not expecting good. Tbh car design overall in this decade is pretty meh to me for most of them.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

You can see the hand and fingerprints all over that cybertruck even in the smaller img previews lol.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

slidebite posted:

Is that paint or SS like my fridge?

I was under the impression it was SS like the fridge but honestly I'm not certain.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

It's SS like the German one.

lol

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

ilkhan posted:

JFC does every post ITT have to be a "gently caress Elon and his pro-first amendment ways" dumpster fire? It gets really loving tiring.

This is a good way to get people to stop talkin about Elon Musk

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I need to step up my posting game if I wanna get a shoutout.

You need to Stan for Elon for at least 7 more years to catch up

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

borkencode posted:

I bet Elon pushed for it to be J42069.

X42069X1488

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I will toxx that you will never be able to buy a Cybertruck in the US for $50K

Willing to also toxx this but before i do wentalking before or after taxes etc? Raw MSRP?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Raw MSRP for the single motor version.

Did they drop the single motor version? Reading this it says

quote:

When Tesla announced the Cybertruck in 2019, there were three trims: Single, Dual, and Tri-Motor. They were priced at $39,990, $49,990, and $69,990, respectively. With only the Dual and Tri-Motor configurations still standing

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-pricing-inflation-based-estimates/

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Speleothing posted:

This thread is full of morons

We're gonna have a rash of daily EV drivers borrowing their parents / grandparents ICE vehicles for some reason and accidentally gassing themselves in their garages aren't we?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Yes.

They are of course being completely disingenuous but after this filters down through conservative media a conservative will argue to your face, an actual owner of an electric car, with complete righteous conviction that an EV costs hundreds of dollars per month to charge, like, literally, when you tell them it is impossible because you own one and receive an electric bill every month, they will flat out accuse you of lying to push your EV "agenda".

I wish I was kidding, it has happened to me multiple times, it's like ballot stuffing, or antifa or the 5G conspiracy, I promise you there are literally hundreds of thousands of people that will hear about that report that are absolutely certain that everyone driving an EV is paying like $1,000+ per month in electricity to charge it and if you won't admit it, you are a loving brainwashed liberal idiot.

About half the people on my local nextdoor think im straight up lying that my monthly electric bill is now only my 7 yr finance payment and is 75% of what the average electric bill i had before our state put in massive rate hikes. Like when i give the numbers its either outright “you’re lying” or “ yeah but you’re going to have to replace that array in 5-10 years and think of all the pollution from those panels”.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The naysayers always mention how horribly toxic mining lithium / rare earths for panels and batteries are but leave out:

- continuous energy costs for oil extraction, refinement, transport.
- constant government subsidies for the above.
- the fact that EVs can be powered from local generation not just "increasing use of polluting power plants".
- more efficient energy usage by EV's vs ICE.

No its all "these things still cause pollution and stress our energy grid (that we've ignored for generations) so it's dumb for you to use one".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

What if the chemicals enlarged their dicks instead

Same difference, then they'd just drown.