Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The Zoe is about 130 miles of range.

Zoe ze 50 is 245 miles WLTP and ~200 miles real world.

The new Megane EV seems like an interesting alternative to the VW ID3 and Cupra Born. 60 kWh, 43 k€ and better warranties than VW. Looks better in my opinion and some reviews say interior finishing compare favorably to VW as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Around here it is starting to look like there will soonish be commercial scale green hydrogen production due to available supply of near free renewable energy and plentiful water supply. It is however highly unlikely that the hydrogen will end up in road vehicles. Most will be used to make steel, hydrocarbons, ammonia and so on.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Yesterday my wife bought an EV that may be less common in this thread than most. It is a Peugeot e-208. A dealer demo with 1700 km on the clock. A small (Fiesta sized) 50 kWh battery, 136 hp commuter with adaptive cruise, lane centering, Carplay etc. 100 kW DCFC and 11 kW AC charging. Did 15.4 kWh/100 km on the first 45 km daily commute today.

Paid 28.5 k€ including 24% VAT and two sets of tyres and wheels, so it would be about 21.5 k€ taxfree and with one set of tyres.

I believe the 208 was the best selling car in Europe last year, a third of them were EVs.

Edit: Added the cost

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 19, 2023

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

cruft posted:

This is cute as hell. Does she love it?

I proposed a cheaper Zoe for her but when we went to look at one they had an e-208 next to it. There was no way for her to choose the Zoe over over the e-208 after seeing them side-by-side. Purely on esthetic reasons.

Technically the trade-off is mostly that Zoe has a little bit larger battery and faster AC charging and e-208 has faster DCFC and watercooled batteries. 208 has a more sporty driving feel, much lower seating position.

She also had an ICE 208 a while back which she really liked. The EV is a bit better equipped and on the commute based on yesterday’s data:
- ICE version: 13€/100 km
- EV version: 2€/100 km

SlowBloke posted:

Congrats eCMP/STLA small buddy :hf:

:hf: Which one do you have?

dissss posted:

Very cool

They're only doing the GT Line version which isn't priced particularly competitively, and most of the second hand ones are Japanese market which means CHAdeMO and Type 1 AC

They do the whole range here, but at the moment the list prices for new e-208s don’t seem very attractive. Especially with the recent Tesla price drops. E-208s were much cheaper couple of years a go.

On the used market the e-208 seems to have a 2-3 k€ premium over the Opel Corsa-e sister model. Main differences seem to be esthetics, interior quality/materials and suspension tuning. Technically they are near identical.

This dealer demo was ~13 k€ off the current list price and came with better financing terms than anything else on the used market. There is an updated version coming with new battery chemistry, a couple on kWh more and 20 hp more soon.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 20, 2023

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Avenger looked interesting but they have not yet even published pricing here. Should be similar to e2008 I guess.

Stellantis seems to have huge troubles in delivering EVs though. Delivery times are more than a year for most things. They even stopped selling the e2008 last year here. I’ve been waiting for delivery of a 308 SW PHEV for 16 months and there is no date yet for when it might be delivered. The EV version of 308 was announced almost a year ago but that still hasn’t got prices yet.

We are not planning charge the e208 much elsewhere than at home. On Monday we had a three phase charging station installed at home. That is actually 22 kW charging station, but our house’s main breakers are 3x25A, so the charging station is now limited to 3x20A and 14.4 kW. Not that the e208 can use all of it, but the single phase charger of the PHEV can use the extra amps.

The charger has dynamic load balancing so it uses whatever is not used by other household items. Mainly the air-water heat pump that heats the house and especially its 9 kW auxilary resistors for really cold days.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 20, 2023

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Word of advice, the e208 infotainment/map updates are INSANELY LONG and requires the car to be on during the entire process. Bring a book along when you do one.

I am planning to do that today so thanks for the heads up!

quote:

My office has a bank of destination AC chargers( 7 and 22kw) and a medium speed DC charger(50kw) so I'm not investing in home charging at the moment. Did you install the Stellantis eProWallbox, an EnelX juicebox or another model?

I got this one. It came with solar capable load balancing and without the RFID reader. https://forum.cleanenergyreviews.info/t/zj-beny-ev-charger-review/2266

Installed:

The load balancing box:

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

cruft posted:

Boy howdy, that sure looks like somebody bought a Tesla EVSE and replaced the plug with a J1772!

Except that the Tesla EVSE doesn’t have the load balancing and in Europe Tesla EVSE already comes with J1772. :)

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

cruft posted:

The new ones do. I don't know if it's the same thing as what this does, but they talk to each other so they can share a circuit without blowing the breaker.

That is not the same thing. The Tesla EVSE doesn’t balance the charging with the other circuits of the building.

All dynamic load balancing EVSEs require load measurement instrumentation at the point where all the circuits are separated from each other. Tesla’s doesn’t have it or have support for such functionality.

Some electricity distribution companies have started installing meters that have Home Automation Network (HAN) port that will provide access to that instrumentation directly from the meter. We will get that type meter in spring 2024.

At the moment there is only one EVSE on the market that makes use of the HAN port which is is EASEE from Norway. However, sales of that in Sweden got shut down for not meeting safety regulations.

The design on the Beny resembles the Tesla EVSE, but they are certainly not buying Tesla EVSEs and refitting those.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
These are the innards of the Beny. The circuit board looks nothing like the Tesla boards and none of the plastic parts are the same.

It also has twice the charging speed that the Tesla EVSE has (22 kW vs 11 kW).

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

pun pundit posted:

Only a very few cars previously sold in Europe use the J1772 standard. Teslas sold here use the Mennekes plug, so I'm afraid Tesla chargers here do not come with J1772s.

My bad. I assumed they are the same based on the previous comment i.e. the type 2 plug that almost all EVs use in Europe.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Videos are starting to trickle out from Jeep media launch in Spain

Feel free to roast my purchase.

It is smaller than I thought! I thought it was 2008 sized but it seems to more of the size of Mokka.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

I'm impressed with the Miles/KWh claim of over 4. Better than my Kia Niro EV.

Stellantis is claiming very high efficiency for their new EV drivetrain. Will be interesting to see how well those claims fare in real use. I guess those avengers will be the first ones out.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
On the first week of commuting, our e208 (2022 version) delivered 14.6 kWh/100 km (4.25 mi/kWh) on 90% busy multilane 80/100 km/h roads, 10% urban/suburban streets.

For the 2023 version they claim about a 7,5% improvement over the 2022 version.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

It looks very aero and I suspect if Toyota did an EV with this, it would manage 250miles on a 50kwh battery.

They claim 44 miles on the 13.6 kWh battery it has. Extrapolating to 50 kWh would give about 160 mile range. Doesn’t seem that impressive.

Edit: In comparison, e308 wagon claims 250 mile range on a net 50,8 kWh battery. Real life to be seen.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 2, 2023

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Seems like long cables in springloaded hangers so that they do not lay on the ground despite the length is the correct solution.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
According to a NHTSA petition to recall all Tesla vehicles, there is new information that the Tesla sudden unindented accelerations can happen without any user error. Previously the events have been dismissed as driver errors based on data logged by the car. When reproduced the faulty behavior of electronics results in logged data that shows accelerator pedal being floored despite it not being pressed at all.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/breaking-nhtsa-petition-shows-tesla-s-sudden-unintended-acceleration-is-real-and-curable-217525.html

https://www.autoevolution.com/pdf/n...able-217525.pdf

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 5, 2023

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

It seems like the EU electric only directive is in process of being shutdown

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/doceo/document/ENVI-AM-750173_EN.pdf

If biofuels get also approved as carbon-neutral, what little incentive is there to move to electric is going to vanish.

Depends which biofuels will get classified as carbon neutral. If it will be done properly there won’t be enough of it to replace fossil fuels. The need to electrify won’t go anywhere. Biofuels would only be the cost efficient option for things that are difficult to electrify.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Another Stellantis EV arrived today to serve as a dog transport that can occasionally tow a light car trailer. After multiple delays, over 18 months since it was ordered. It is a Peugeot 308 PHEV station wagon.

Wireless cellphone charging left out at the factory is still to be installed later, though.

Good thing about the wait is that when ordered interest rate was 1.6% APR, price ~7 k€ less than current MSRP and the value of the previous car they took in exchange was fixed 18 months ago. :)

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 25, 2023

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

slidebite posted:

Neat. So out of curiosity what's the electric only range?

Should be about 60 km. Runs in pure EV mode up to 135 km/h even in freezing temperatures.

Local car magazine had one as a long termer and reported between 40 and 80 km EV range depending on use and conditions. It has a net 11.8 kWh battery.

I’ve got a 45 km commute and on that commute the e208 in the background uses 13.7 kW/100km (4.54 mi/kWh) in summer. Thus I’m hopeful that the electric range on the PHEV is plenty for the daily grind.

Edit: Just made a test run of the commute in rainy weather: 16.0 kWh/100km (3.88 mi/kWh). Would result in 73.75 km (46.1 mi) EV range for a full battery.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 25, 2023

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Stellantis has couple of EV wagons on the market: Opel Astra Sports Tourer Electric and Peugeot e308 SW. Both could use a bit more power and battery capacity though.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
We’ve had a 308 SW PHEV for a couple of months which has about 60 km all electric range (40 km @ 130 km/h, 80 mph indicated on highway). Battery net capacity is 11.8 kWh. The dogs have a cage in the boot and it can tow a trailer with a light car on it.

So far it has been 100% electric during the week and used gas on a longer trip each weekend. Average gas consumption has been a little below 2 l/100km (118 mpg). On longer trips with an empty battery 5.2 l/100km (43 mpg).

We also have a smaller e-208 EV which in practice has 300 km range (200 km on the highway). A thing with the PHEV is it needs to be plugged every time when coming home to hit those figures. With the EV it only needs to be plugged in 1-2 times a week. The PHEV is only charged at home (4,4 kW). The EV mostly as well (11 kW), but fast charged on possible longer trips when the PHEV is not available.

When winter comes I don’t think the PHEV battery capacity is enough to be 100% electric during the week, but we’ll see. I wish it had like 16 kWh battery, then it would be plenty.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Sep 23, 2023

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
On Stellantis cars, our e-208 does about 14 kWh/100 km and the 308 about 16 kWh/100 km.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Three Olives posted:

BMW iDrive preset buttons. They are not radio presets, I mean, they can be, or they can be presets for anything in the iDrive system, navigation destination, radio station, tire pressure, anything you could select in iDrive could be set to be accessed directly with a physical button.

loving genius and I can not believe BMW abandoned it.

New Peugeot 308, 408 and 3008 have programmable ”iToggle” touchgreen ”buttons” where user can set functions he would like access quickly.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Which is a crying shame compared to the old 208/2008/3008 piano keys which made a very satisfying clunk every time you used them

I don’t think those mechanical buttons were programmable, though? Which was the point. They could be of course and could even have small LCDs that could display the currently programmed function and its state like the touchscreen versions.

The present Peugeot programming selection is rather limited and could use extension. New options have been appearing in OTA software updates semi regularly, though.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Around here dynamic load balancing is mostly used in houses with electric (resistive or heat pumps) heating. The electric capacity needed varies a lot when temperatures vary from +30 to -30 C.

Our house is perhaps a typical example. 3x25A main breakers and updated from oil boiler to air-water heat pump and two EVs to charge.The 22 kW EVSE is now set to use up to 3x20A (~14 kW), but it could also be set at the full capacity of the main breakers (17 kW).

Increasing the main breaker capacity would require a whole new electrical connection when the house is older than XX years, with new and relocated measurement panel etc. It would probably cost close to 10 k€.

Ps. Kempower should be a decent non-Tesla charging station manufacturer. :finland: I quite like my Kemppi MinarcMig welder as well.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

11kW AC is the point where chargers go from single to three phase in EU (the biggest conventional sizing for single phase is 7kW), a 6kW OBC is still single phase.

The Volvo actually has a weird 6.2 kW TWO phase charger in Europe.

As mentioned, the typical European OBCs are
- single phase 3.7 or 7.4 kW
- three phase 11 or 22 kW

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 4, 2024

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Is this the old or new Kona?

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Stellantis small EV have been decreasing their buffers over the years:

Net/gross kWh
2020: 45/50
2022: 46.3/50
2023: 51/54

In the manuals they recommend sticking to 20-80% range if the use allows for it to increase battery life.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
A reason to have a connected charger is to be able to adapt to hourly electricity prices. These are announced 2 pm everday for the next day. This winter the hourly electricity prices have fluctuated between -0.5 €/kWh and 2 €/kWh (average ~0,07 €/kWh) so there can be significant variations day-to-day and hour-to-hour.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Here police has been trialing a MB Vito EV police car since 2021. First it was in two cities in southern Finland and doing ok as far as I can tell. Now it was moved up north beyond the arctic circle (think Alaska), which should be a bit of a challenge for it. Temperatures down to -40 C and long distances everywhere.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

GlassEye-Boy posted:

That included their PHEVs though right?

I believe in Q4/2023 they surpassed Tesla in EVs as well. Not over the whole of 2023 though.

Including PHEV they’ve been ahead for a while already.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

0,63€/kWh from 21:00 to 15:59 and 0,70 from 16:00 to 20:59 in Europe.

Tesla is 0.48-0.58 €/kWh around here. Other DCFC providers tend to be around 0.35 €/kWh. AC chargers ~0.22 €/kWh.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

the Powerboost (F150 hybrid that you probably don’t remember exists) kinda sucks, it only gets like 2-4 better MPG than the EcoBoost. Something like a plug-in series hybrid would make a much better pickup truck and probably go a long way to placate people who’d never buy a full EV

Ramcharger should be that plugin hybrid truck? 92 kWh battery and a 3.6 V6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I’d say because BEV nominal voltage is not standardised like it is for AA batteries.