Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I love Volvos and want an electric car, but I have been told that the Polestar is way overpriced for the performance it offers (particularly the range).

I was pointed toward the ID.4 and Ioniq 5. Ioniq 5 looks better (in several ways).

An electric V50 would be my ideal car. I dislike SUVs but lol America.

I have a 5 mile daily commute and access to free chargers at work. I drive the 350 miles from LA to Oakland every 1-2 months, and I would prefer a car that doesn't have to stop multiple times along the way. I am not militantly anti-Tesla, but I hate the lack of dash and physical controls.

Does Ioniq 5 fit? Are there alternatives I'm overlooking? This is a new consumer space for me.

It doesn't need to be zippy. I'm trying to talk myself down from AWD and HUDs and such. I've lived without those things my whole life; my 2005 S40 2.4i is the best thing I've ever driven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

So if the act passes, Tesla 3 becomes a no-brainer, in part because nothing else will be available. Will it go into effect immediately?

everyone posted:

Just the info/guidance I needed

You are all amazing and beautiful and I love you.

In general it looks like I need to get over my aversion to SUVs and Teslas. gently caress this stupid country for only offering giant idiotmobiles. I want a small idiotmobile, goddamnit. I'm annoyed that other places get things like the ID.3 and Q2. Bleh.

I'm gonna test drive the Ioniq and Polestar, for sure. It's a 15 minute drive to the LA Polestar space. Renting a car for a weekend is definitely also doable. The one-stop Oakland trip in the Model 3 is really hard to ignore.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I've talked myself down from Teslas and Polestars. Based on my commute, parking situation, and finances, an i3 seems like a solid choice.

What I've learned so far:
  • all of the sub-$20k used cars are 2014 models without quick charging (or standardized charge ports?), and they should be avoided
  • range extenders are pointless dead weight
  • reverse cameras weren't standard (and I really want one)
  • the brown leather interior is impossibly ugly. absurdly ugly.
  • 20 inch rims are silly but whatever

Questions:
  • how is the adaptive cruise? I would want the navigation package for the larger screen, but would be navigating with my phone
  • am I right about the range extenders? the quick charging?
  • any other potential pitfalls?

I drive ~5 miles every day. I can rent a car to get to Oakland. I would not qualify for the $4k used car credit. Life, in general, is beautiful.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

5 mile commute interspersed with occasional cross-LA drives. I can't install a charger at my apartment, though I have free access to a J-1772 a block away. I'd bike to work if Los Angeles weren't Los Angeles, but I need a new car anyhow.

quote:

You speak words of wisdom. I want a backup camera mostly because I've never had one before. I'm already gud :colbert:

Also I've never experienced the pain of owning a BMW, so that might skew my judgement.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 10, 2022

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Well yeah but does your first-hand experience outweigh my aversion to American cars? Does it?

gently caress those tires, though.

Holy poo poo there are ~60k mile Leafs for around $7000. High holy hell, are they cancerous or something?

Also a RAV4. And Fiat 500s. And Mitsubishi I, all for less than $10k. Where do I go to find out which of these cars are worthwhile? gently caress me, I have to actually read this thread, don't I?

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I once again want to thank y'all for all the info, particularly the owners of cars under consideration (Polestars, Leafs, Bolts, e-Golf, i3, etc.)

What I've learned so far:
  • Polestars and Ioniq 5's are probably good--if slightly chonky--but they're more car than I need
  • Teslas are also more than I need
  • opinions on the i3 are mixed
  • many cars in the $10k-20k range have multiple shortfalls
  • compliance cars are best avoided
  • Bolts are decent cars (assuming they have the new battery?)
  • don't get a Leaf, probably

I've had three votes of confidence for the e-Golf, and I know somebody who has kept theirs since buying it new in 2015, so I'm gonna check them out. I haven't totally ruled out the i3. I should take a look at Bolts.

Is the Ford Focus Electric a garbage compliance car? I've just learned that it's built on the same platform as the S40, so it's the closest thing to "my car, but electric" out there. It's also American and Ford instead of Swedish* and Volvo, but so it goes.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 11, 2022

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Charging the car at my apartment would require a hundred feet of extension cord, and it would likely preclude using the AC or microwave. Apartment is old, wiring is questionable.

Not charging at home could be a deal breaker, yes, but I feel like I could make it work with free charging ~0.5 miles away and also at work.

Honestly I should probably just convince :siren:MY GIRLFRIEND:siren: to let me bike to work.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 11, 2022

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Yep, my EV dream is looking increasingly like a wet fart. Thanks for helping me figure that out, if it indeed turns out to be the case

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

cruft posted:

Another thing to bear in mind, if you care about such things, is that you wishing you could have an EV and things just not being set up for that to be feasible is itself helping the global situation. You're contributing to demand.

This is a really nice sentiment, thank you :unsmith:

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

borkencode posted:

Tesla Model 3

So, will the reinstated credit drive down used prices, too? I would want one that still has radar (hypothetically, in a year or two).

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I have half a mind to spam California's legislature with demands suggestions to increase the state refund to cover cars that didn't make the list.

Air quality and all that.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

That bill is useless for a lot of EVs thanks to the rising costs. We’ll done, politicians.

It's almost like the senator who has taken millions from oil companies wanted this to happen.

cruft posted:

Be sure to sign it "Normal Barbarian", okay?

Well yeah, it'll hit harder coming from a posting genius. Gotta use my clout somehow, might as well be for a good cause.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 13, 2022

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Shower thoughts reality check:

There is no reason to buy a 2021 Bolt. It won't get any rebate this year or next.

There are dozens of dealerships with new 2021 Bolts.

Is it insane to think I could find a dealership who'd let me drive one off for ~< $20k cash?

A Premier, hopefully.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

darnon posted:

If you find a used one it should qualify for the $4k credit I think.

I will (most likely) be making too much for that, alas. Wow betide me.

Walrusmaster posted:

For an anecdotal data point, I bought a 2021 bolt in April of 2021 for $19k, but that included a $2k CA rebate and ~$3500 trade-in. You might be in the ballpark?

It's an LT with all the safety features though, not a premier.

Most importantly though, it's blue:

https://imgur.com/a/OU1Zi5b

edit: do imgur embeds not work anymore?

Oh cool, do you miss any of the features you'd have gotten with the Premier, specifically the surround-view cameras?

Did it take any effort/stress to get that price?

Also, yes. Blue car supremacy. That's a pretty blue, too, though I've started coming around in the garish Oasis Blue, too.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Now that I know what I'm looking for, I see EVs everywhere. Saw one of the Volvos a couple days ago, saw a Polestar last night. I see i3s almost daily. Bolts are a bit more stealth but I can pick them out.

Millions of Teslas. West LA is rife with them. This isn't a bad thing, minus the whole running down children thing.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Saw another Polestar on my way to work yesterday. Saw a Rivian on my way home. Caught a glimpse of an Ioniq today. Looked chonky.

Somebody on my way to work got a red Bolt, which looks surprisingly okay. Somebody in my apartment building, who previously owned a Prius, got this thing. I wonder how they charge it. Note the wiring.

I envy.

I also saw a first-gen Mirai, but that's outside the scope of this thread, probably.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

https://www.hotcars.com/2024-hyundai-kona-electric-best-budget-crossover/ posted:

the Kona has been enlarged, with a 150mm longer body, 25mm wider stance, and a 60mm longer wheelbase

Why even bother making small cars when they'll all end up the size of an Excursion in a few model years? Christ.

No, I don't know metric. Shut up.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

The Kona already feels pretty big, if you want a small car that's not it.

My Christmas-wine-soaked brain confused the Hyundai Kona with the Kia Niro.

e: sloshed, disregard

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Dec 26, 2022

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

Please come to america

You'd think people would see how the Bolt is selling and want in on that.

e. Americans buy Golfs, right? Why not ID.2s?

e2. Call it a crossover. Call it an SUV if you have to.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 16, 2023

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

priznat posted:

Ooh Volvo is going to show the EX30 in early June, looks like an EV version of the C30 which is awesome. Hope it has the funky rear glass hatch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8slXSk36Ats

gently caress me sideways.

Hope they sell it in America, that I might get a used one ten years from now.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

priznat posted:

I saw a Model 3 in an awesome iridescent wrap, you should get that

My girlfriend says it's the only way to make a Tesla sexy.

Also,

I finally saw an EV6. Its weird hatch-ish duck butt is over-designed and stupid looking but I think I kinda like it

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Per interior discussion from a bit back, the inside of the Ioniq 5 is TARDIS-huge. Utterly cavernous. I'm 5'10", and it felt like there were several feet between my head and the ceiling and my legs and the passenger seat

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Resonance22 posted:

Is it too late to post cats in EVs?

Mishka in a Polestar 2.

There is cat hair all over the upholstery now.

What an absurd and beautiful cat! Please make it my first ever probe

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

guess I'll daydream about DIY EX30 HUDs instead

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I saw two VW Buzzes painted solid dark grey/blue, and without the two-tone paint they look aggressively neutral. Distressingly unimpressive in any stylistic direction.

Love the pics with the white tops, love what they are. Really want to see one in flower power paint or maybe done up as a surf wagon?

Also, 1st gen Leafs are steatopygous. That is all.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

There's something to be said for knowing how to use a hilariously out-of-date Thomas Guide, probably

Right?

:corsair:

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

What do you do in your car other than drive it?

Cry, mostly.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

At least here in California I think the dealer is required to give you a front license plate holder, even if the car did not come with one.

And it looks absolutely loving hilarious bolted dead center on an i4's grille(s)

"iconic" design element plus afterthought compliance bodge

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 8, 2024

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Everyone knows San Bruno's where it's at.

(Assuming you don't get exploded)

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 29, 2024

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hybrids are allowed/welcome here

Yo if anyone has a Polestar 1 they'd like to get rid of for like, 20%-30% of what it's worth, I'm your guy hmu

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

You have to have been a Costco member as of April 30 this year.

Trust me, I looked.

e. I might still go for it. I'll just be really loving annoyed.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

I;m thinking about thos Polestar 2s

Facts
  • The AWD is the same price as the RWD
  • The RWD gets 320 miles to the AWD's 270
  • I drive from LA to Oakland maybe 2-3 times a year
  • I drive in snow in Tahoe roughly 0.25 times per year
  • Blue paint is $1250

Thoughts
  • 50 miles of range is worth having to use snow chains maybe one time during a lease.
  • A heat pump is Objectively Better but maybe not too useful in socal?
  • The free paint is ugly but also free

Conclusion
  • The correct choice is RWD + Pilot Pack in Jupiter greige
  • It hurts to turn down "free" AWD
  • I'm going back and forth on the Plus Pack purely for the heat pump
  • I was gonna cancel my EX30 reservation anyways, probably. Buttons are good.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

I saw a white polestar the other day, never seen a white one before (maybe popular in hot climates?). It looks really good in white.
Isn't the AWD one dual motor? It's quite a bit quicker in acceleration if that's a thing that interests you.

AWD is dual-motor, yep. 4.3s 0-60 vs 5.9s RWD. I wanna go fast, but I don't gotta go fast.

White is cool and striking, but white cars become dust-greige cars overnight where I park.

If I were paying for paint it would be a tossup between the silver-metallic, grey-metallic, and grey/blue metallic. I loving love the Swedish rainbow.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

drk posted:

gently caress that, why not fly or comedy answer take the train?

If you have buy a new car money, you can afford to take a few ubers or rent a car. Or enjoy the lovely sights, smells and sounds of BART

I drive when I'm lugging tools/cars to a diy robocars race. Otherwise, yes. Fly.

Also, I like BART. The novelty of functional* public transit has yet to wear off.

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 4, 2024

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

So I looked pretty thoroughly at getting a P2 about 1.5 years ago. At the time they had a lot of issues:

The software issues in particular seemed like the biggest problem, customers reported problems getting the car to unlock or start without a tow to the dealer in certain circumstances.

There were a couple of other minor problems, the biggest one being that as a 6'3" chungus I couldn't find a way to get the seat and steering wheel into a comfortable position together. Also the interior is kinda cheap, especially if you don't get the leather.

That being said, if they really have fixed these problems, I think it could be worth buying one...used. The values of these have nosedived so hard I can't imagine why anyone would buy one new right now. $25k for a well-optioned example with 20k miles.

Here's my overlong original post about driving one before the software issues swayed me away

Thanks for this; that post wasn't overlong at all.

I'm increasingly aware that all software is horrible and broken. God help our end users.

I'm 5'10" and slim, so we're good there.

I'm leasing a new one for that 10k deal and as a concession to first-BEV anxieties. Plus, I've spent 20 years driving and fixing tired old used cars. I sorta want something new for once, you know?

QuarkJets posted:

The seats with the plus pack are also top notch, the material is nice and is much easier to clean than cloth or leather. I think there's one other polestar owner in the thread, but I don't know if they got the plus pack

Personally I like the acceleration of the AWD, but I get wanting the extra range - that's extra efficiency, really, so definite upsides.

E: my Polestar 2 is easily the best car I've ever owned, so glad that I chose it over a model 3

Thanks for this, too. I've toyed with the idea of getting a model 3, but that's entirely off the table now.

As for acceleration, my current car would have done 0-60 in ~11 seconds brand new, 19 years ago. 5.9 seconds will be a rocket in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

priznat posted:

Polestars don't come in bad rear end colours like that though so MG takes the win!

My kingdom for Polestar Blue

e:fb

e2: though it should be exclusive (and compulsorily) to the Performance Pack and Polestar Engineered

Normal Barbarian fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 5, 2024