Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

BMW iX3 premiered - https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/07/14/bmw-ix3-first-electric-suv-2/
Will not be offered in the US

quote:

range of up to 459 kilometers in WLTP cycle or up to 520 kilometers in the NEDC test cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Even the, admittedly garbage, adaptive cruise on the i3 makes a difference on longer trips or sitting in traffic. The couple trips I've done in Teslas with autopilot have been great and I arrived less tired than I would have otherwise. As mentioned it's even better if you're tired from a long day.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

McPhearson posted:

What's the threads opinion on the BMW i3? I've seen early model REx's popping up for relatively cheap. The battery range of ~70 miles is fine for my weekday use, the only problem is almost every weekend I do a ~100 mile each way trip out to see family and friends who live ~100 miles away from me. With coding I can use the whole 2.4 gallon tank, hold charge on the freeways, and even the base model seems to have DC fast charging which is readily available out here. Are there any gotcha's with the i3 I should be considering?

Early i3's won't have fast charge, can't remember what year they introduced it. Try to find the tech package for bigger/better center screen, the 19" wheels are generally preferred over the 20". Depending on elevation, headwind, etc the ReX can maintain 60-70mph but if you're going over the mountains or something it won't. The standard, included, 120v charger will charge it up overnight and I keep it in the frunk for trips. Most people seem to get less than 15k miles on the tires and there's only two options, all season or winter. Costco has the tires on sale a few times a year, you can usually get a set for $800-850.

Overall I've enjoyed mine, a 2014 ReX I bought in February and haven't put many miles on thanks to covid.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Qwijib0 posted:

a friend of mine cross-shopped a used e-golf with an i3, and found that almost no dealers or shops will touch an e-golf, so ended up with the i3 for about the same price but with the ability to get it fixed if something goes awry.

Same here, ended up with the i3 because the nearest shop that would do anything beyond very basic maintenance on a e-golf was 4+ hours away. Meanwhile local BMW dealership has mechanics to work on every aspect of the i3.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Mahatma-Squid posted:

I don't have that issue with my 2016 i3 and Nokia 7+, but any communication between my phone and car is slower than I would like, changing songs has a few second delay and it initially took me a fair bit of loving around to get it working with Spotify. My wife's new Samsung galaxy works perfectly with it on the other hand, so I think it's just dependant on having the correct codecs as someone else mentioned.

Any chance you remember what you did to get spotify to work in the i3? I've tried going through the BMW connected app, disabling the BMW app and everything else I can think of with no luck. One time I was able to get one song to play but as soon as that one ended it stopped working. Every other player works fine.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ola posted:

A point I usually bring up when we come round to discussing energy storage, a cheaper way might be to store the energy in the form you want to use it. In California, that might be for air conditioning. So you could be using surplus energy to cool a liquid in an insulated container, then use that liquid to cool the house in the afternoon. A simpler example if you have an electric water heater and differentiated tariffs, you could probably put a timer on the heater plug so it only runs at night. You'll probably earn back the meager automation investment in a month or two.

Have had these installed for the past 10 years or so https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TYS2KVQ. Water heater runs twice a day and we've never noticed lack of hot water, when I was single I only had it run once a day.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Are you on a tiered kwh rate
and running it off-peak?
Non-tiered, just running it around the time we take showers or start dishes/laundry. Last hours was tiered, ran it off-peak

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Charles posted:

Oh, how long did it take to arrive? I'm buying the car tomorrow 😅

Your car should come with a very basic 120v charger, should be able to get you by until the beefy one arrives. If you're using the full range capacity of the car you may need to supplement with chargers at work or public ones. I used only the 120v charger that came with my i3 for a couple months but I wasn't putting many miles on.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Westy543 posted:

I know it was mentioned in the last thread, but has anyone used a Dryer Buddy to switch between dryer and evse? Place I'm looking to move has a NEMA 10-30 in the garage, and that seems like an easy fix.

Also found something similar called NeoCharge, which happens to be UL certified. Wonder if that's worth an extra ~$100? https://www.getneocharge.com/shop-pages/appliance-smart-splitter-3

The previous owner of my car used a dryer buddy and said it worked great for her. I've also seen it recommended in the local EV facebook group. No personal experience though.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Westy543 posted:

Wow, I knew it was big, but not this big - the GMC Hummer EV is bigger than a Tahoe.

2021 Chevy Tahoe - 5,473 to 5,845 pounds
2022 GMC Hummer EV - 10,001 to 14,000 pounds

That is one dense brick of a truck. I guess we shouldn't be surprised given the Hummer line but wow.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The 12v battery is a known weak point in the i3 as well, when they start going you get all sorts of weird symptoms then suddenly one day the car won't turn on or do anything. First thing you do is replace the 12v if it's more than a couple years old.

Pretty disappointing they're having 12v issues on what should be brand new batteries.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Code full tank and hold state of charge, first thing you should do if you buy an old i3. My 2014 gets 70mi electric and 70 on the Rex unless it's cold out.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 10, 2021

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Buying i3 new when you could have a Tesla or similar for the same price is stupid. Grab a few year old one for 10-12k and have a pretty good daily driver that can technically do road trips, easy with range extender, if you wanted to for some reason.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Mine is a 2014 with 58848 miles, I get 70-75 miles on a full charge unless it's winter which drops it down to 50-55. Liquid cooled batteries were a requirement when I was shopping and so far they're holding up well. I've put around 3500 miles on it since last February and am overall happy with it, have only filled the fuel tank once after the initial fill when I bought it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

havelock posted:

Is it silly to be considering a used bmw i3? I know it's small and the range is more limited, but are there any other downsides? Clearly there are better options at their original price point but I've seen a few from only a few years ago even certified pre owned for 20k or so.

Can adults fit in the back or just kids?

I'm looking to replace a grocery getter, so the range seems fine.

Biggest downside to the i3 is the tires which are specific to the vehicle, only a couple offered and seem to last 10-12k maximum at a cost of $700-800 a set. Interior is strange but nice and the seats are surprisingly comfortable at least for running around town. They drive fairly decent but are loud on the interstate. I've been happy with my 2014.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

havelock posted:

I've had a BMW M3 before so the surprisingly expensive tires thing isn't new to me, but that's great feedback.

Do adults fit comfortably in the back?

This will be a 2nd car for errands around town - we have another for longer trips or carrying more stuff.

I've only had adults in the back once and they didn't complain but wife and I are both short so front seats were pretty far forward. Rear seat isn't roomy or spacious but I'd say it's about the same as most small hatchbacks. One thing to note is the rear windows do not go down, not a big deal but surprised me. I honestly keep the rear seats folded flat 99% of the time for carrying stuff.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phuzun posted:

DIY conversion

Have been meaning to ask about DIY stuff, this seems a good enough place. Anyone have good links for DIY EV conversions? More reading, calculating stuff and I guess parts. Looking at a couple of options for longer term projects.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

Carvana is a scam to enrich the CEO and burn investor capital, but if I were selling a used car I'd go to them first because they're offering thousands over market, it's insane. I've been thinking of paying cash for local used cars then selling them to Carvana, but I haven't done the math on sales tax / registration fees to see how well it actually works out.

I run the i3 through their offer thing every month or two, current offer is a couple hundred more than I paid for it last February. Kind of tempting to get something more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Requesting sixxer with one of those goofy little Citroen Ami

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)