Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oh wow thanks for this link! This is my dream project were I ever to have the time money and resources to indulge in such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You say consider your sources but the OP straight up blacklists several of them. It doesn’t appear that rule or any others were developed with the community involved, and it comes across as very biased.

The same holds true on the Twitter piece and reads that you can’t post someone’s tweet unless there is “solid evidence”, but that seems to set a very high bar, and possibly intentionally created that way.

Speaking for just me, I genuinely don't give a poo poo what anybody posts on twitter. And since empty quoting twitter posts seems to be exclusively used as proof that "see? I told u they was poo poo!" arguments, I'd say the mods are right to try to clamp down on it. Given that most of the rot of the previous threads was essentially "Twitter/clickbait article empty quote-see, xxx is poo poo-no it ain't-yeah-nah-yeah-nah" repeated until someone hits report, do we really need more of that?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I definitely want to see what actual consumers of EVs are saying. Like it or not, that’s probably going to come from Twitter because the average joe doesn’t own an EV news site to post content related to their car. Clamping down on certain sites the power that be feel are biased in conjunction with banning individual’s posts feels like an intentional process to create an echo chamber.

What is gained from making and having those arguments though, over and over? Would it be normal and ok to go into the 4x4 thread and post tweets of everyone with a broken jeep or whatever, as a way to what, dissuade people from buying a jeep? Prompting posts of jeep owners who reply that well my jeep never broke! (maybe that's not a thing anyone has ever said, just run with me on this.). It's just pointless threadshitting.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've never said I want to see posts about broken EVs. I said I want to see posts from actual consumers. That may be good, it may be bad, but as EVs are a fast moving and evolving space, it's nice to see whats actually happening in the real world.

That's not what people use those posts for in the previous threads though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

The problem with the discussion was that it was constantly derailed by non stop bickering about Musk's latest wisdom and/or "lmao tesla bad". More discussion about actual electric car stuff/new technologies would have fixed it. Please dont be part of the problem (I realize the irony of my statement here).

Here's something to be actually mad about :

Remember this?

Well it's now this.

Enjoy generic suv/crossover #45448972312.

Now if I was to tie this in to tesla chat, I would argue that they at least would have the balls to try and engineer the first car depicted and produce it, even though you'd probably need around 5 years of them ironing the kinks out for it to be actually worth owning.
Goddamn mercedes really dropped the ball there, I was full of hope.

The before picture looks just as generic, just "concept render smoothed". For every person that bemoans the bland generic design of many new EVs, there's a reason for it, and it's every person who crowed about "why does a hybrid/EV have to look like a goddamn alien space ship from the future, just make it look like a normal car.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Maybe a dual thing like the e-tron, with Type 2 only on the passenger side and CCS on driver's side, as local market dictates. The pics from here at least show ports on both sides.

Like that color, nice with something other than white, black or grey.

Ah yes, the mythical 4th colour option: beige :D
I kid, I kid. (I have a secret crush on a beige Prius prime. I think they call it titanium.... beige)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yuns posted:

Don't slander the best thing about the Nissan. Ok it's metallic beige but still in a world of black, white and silver, copper is an awesome color. Remember the original copper Hayabusa.

Haha, yeah I know, personally I think it looks really sharp in that colour! It speaks volumes about the current blandness of the automotive paint world we live in that a burnished beige is an eye-catching option. When I merged on the highway yesterday evening, I counted 11 white cars in my immediate vicinity. There's an extremely vibrant blue Corolla hatch that heads down the highway in the opposite direction to me every morning and it brightens my morning every time I see it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Late to the power supply chat, but for the low low price of "contact us for a quote", you could get a Hobart/ITW GSE 2400 GPU that takes ~230V AC in and spits out 3 phase 115/200V AC at 30 or 45kVA, if you don't mind 400hz.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ReaperUnreal posted:

Thanks for the link and tip. I'm in Canada, near Toronto. Budget is 30-40k, range is bimodal. I'm either driving 30-40km or 500km along major highways. I'm definitely fine watching a bunch of youtube vids, got plenty of time.

Well here's some entertainment, if you can laugh at the utter flappy headed canuckness of these two chuckleheads. (to the rest of the thread, if you've never met a Canadian, yes we're really like this.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIGrTCcnUSY

They do a couple of other electric and hybrid reviews on their channel as well. And also are happy to say nice things about some cars because the manufacturer bought them lunch, and it's only polite, eh.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

elbkaida posted:

I've got no experience driving with these kind of systems so don't really know what exactly do you do different when they're on. How does it make the drive easier? I'm guessing you still keep an eye on the road but just kinda sit there.

I found, though it's probably different for other people, that adaptive cruise frees your brain up for a lot more active observation and situational awareness. You see a lot more of what's going on on and near the road when you never have to think or look at your speed.
Lane keeping is fine on a straight road where you don't really even notice its there, but the versions I've encountered are extremely bad at corners, sawing the steering wheel back and forth and turning what would be a single smooth steering input and single corner line driven by a human into some kind of octohedral mess. The adaptive cruise fails too here, because the car can't anticipate that the driver ahead (that it just lost sight of because of the curve) is about to park it in the next one and leaps to accelerate then slams on the brakes because yeah, that guys is still there going a snails pace, I saw it, and would have reacted more appropriately. So basically don't bother with either in the mountains (I just wanted to see how it behaved since it was a novelty to me to have it).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

I genuinely don't get this - if you're off throttle do you not want to just coast? Why do you want braking action from the car other than when you're pressing the brake pedal?

Especially in the case of a Porsche (though I've never driven one), I would expect it to behave like a high compression ICE with a manual transmission with a light flywheel, ie aggressive engine braking, because race car.
I would want the option on any EV, because engine braking is cool and good.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I love that we're having this argument in 2020 because Tesla when my 2007 Prius does the exact same thing completely seamlessly and transparently the driver. I wish it had less "flywheel effect" and slowed more rapidly on lifting, but the regen capacity is obviously a lot less with a little NiMH battery and motor generator.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Zero One posted:

"Unbridled" is a good name for a Mustang ludicrous mode.

Will there be a "saw a plastic bag in a bush" mode for leaving cars&coffee?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

Or the last since it sounds like ford and Toyota dealers aren't doing the RAV4 prime or Mach e any favors

In the case of those, I can kind of see it from the salesmen's point of view. You've got a customer on the hook that wants to spend some money, but you haven't got any of what they want on the lot, and you can't give them an accurate estimate of when they'll get any... Losing... Sale... But! You can Drive Away Today! in whatever we've got in stock, special price, just for you! (and Ol' Gil gets to eat this week!). Audi has e-trons on the lot.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

priznat posted:

Marking up tellurides while giving 0% 84 month deals on stinger GTs smdh

Fuuuuck.
But even over 84 months, it's still $700/mo. This is why I buy used.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm just riffing here, but I think branding is a problem for JLR with it. In the collective ideal of Jaguar The Brand (reliability jokes aside), you generally associate it with sleek sexy grand touring coupes and convertibles, yeah they sold sedans, but why bother unless you're some For-Queen-and Country Teaboo after some aristocratic cachet. Just get a big German saloon, and people did. JLR did try to make the F-Pace look sexy, but they'd have been better off selling it as a Range Rover e-evoque. That's already an established Rich Person City SUV brand (yeah I went there, Britain, you know it's true), and a CUV makes sense there. The typical balding late middle aged executive male Jaguar buyer just isn't interested. But he'd buy a Range Rover branded one for his 3rd wife.
Audi, meanwhile, sells Q series like hotcakes so an electric Q series is just, well why wouldn't you just buy the German e-SUV? And so people did.
Some might question the decision of Ford slapping the Mustang moniker on the Mach-e, but I think everyone could agree that selling it as a Lincoln would have been a poor branding choice, and so it is with the F-Pace.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yeah even trying to parse the terrible machine translation of the ruling it's hard to see how it gets interpreted as the control system being ruled illegal.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Why are all the US and European auto companies focusing on luxury EVs? Only affordable EVs are coming out of Asia.

Higher margins on luxury vehicles (how much more do you really think a few hundred kilos of dynamat and some soft touch plastics and contrasting stitching actually cost a manufacturer?), and poor people can't afford to buy new cars (unless you've got your own in-house financing company specifically so that they can, and event that's risky).
Asian companies have traditionally happily expanded into markets that US and Euro companies couldn't be bothered with.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Bring back Detroit Electric.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I was thinking the other day about those PSA ads showing the amount of sugar in a can/bottle of soda. Usually stacks of sugar cubes, or sometimes measuring cups, but you get the idea. I feel they're pretty effective in getting people to look at how much sugar they're actually consuming and maybe change their mind about drinking soda at all, or at least reduce the frequency of drinking them.
I wondered if the same thing could be done to illustrate just how much gas people burn for commuting. For most of us, the amount of gas we put in the tank is just an abstract number displayed on the pump, and a less important one than the price. My commute right now is about 100km round trip (it's slightly less, but let's go with that). My car is pretty fuel efficient, getting around 5l/100km.
If imagined pouring 5 liters (1.3 gallons) of gas in a pail and setting it on fire every morning. It's a pretty striking visualization. And then you figure that 10l/100km is a lot more common a fuel economy figure... Picture pouring 5 2l soda bottles worth if gas into a bucket and setting it on fire in your driveway every morning. It's kinda hosed up.
I wonder if that kind of PSA ad would be effective in getting people to consider hybrids, PHEVs, and pure EVs more.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Probably the crippling cost of repairs that kick in 30 seconds after the 4 year warranty is up (typical BMW) killed resale value to the point that nobody wants to be lumped with such terrible residuals, including dealers trying to shift them off lease.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Today I drove this:

19" rims don't look the coolest, but the ride was good.

You know what though? I kinda really really like the 19s! I never got the i-pace before, but now I see it with 'workaday' rubber boots instead of fashion bauble rims and rubber band tires, it makes sense to me. It's the like the Toyota Sienna of DINK HENRY, with a trunk full of Costco toilet paper, making a quick stop at the fertility clinic before they head to Mark and Eric's backyard bbq party.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yuns posted:

No only at Polestar dealers which is annoying. There are only a handful of authorized Polestar dealers so far. There are literally only 4:
Polestar Manhattan
Polestar Los Angeles
Polestar San Jose
Polestar Marin
This seems stupid as hell.

At what point do you step back and look at your country as a whole, and realize that outside of 3-4 metropolitan areas, the rest of it is pretty much an afterthought at best, in the eyes of basically everyone who doesn't live there?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

McPhearson posted:

I just test drove an i3 and it was pretty nice. Love the interior, love the parking assist and features, but one thing drives me crazy, though; When playing video over Bluetooth the audio is not synced at all. There is easily a 1-2 second delay between what's happening on my phone's screen and the audio coming out of the speakers. I don't have that issue with the cheapo grom Bluetooth adapter in my current car, or with the Avic D3 I had in my really old car. My job has me on the road pretty often so when I'm out and about and on lunch or break I like to relax, sit in the air conditioned car, and watch some Netflix. I haven't had much experience with OEM Bluetooth, but is this normal?

It's all about the codec/BT version. Your adapter probably supports all the latest and greatest AptX HD high speed whatever because it can, but whatever off the shelf 10 year old parts bin BT transceiver BMW stuck in the i3 almost certainly doesn't, because those cost an extra 20 euro-cents per unit.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

An EV doesn't meet my needs because I take a long road trip a few times a year is the same reasoning as I need a pickup because I go to Home Depot to buy some wood a few times a year. And, well, they sell plenty of pickup trucks.
EV pickups are gonna be like that two red buttons panic meme.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Competition drives innovation, but as anyone who's played lemonade stand knows, sometimes the innovation is just figuring out how few expensive lemons you can get away with putting in your free water to still make a profit selling "lemonade". The answer is zero lemons. Turns out people will actually pay for free water! :capitalism:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Who cares. You can earn a profit on an individual thing while still posting a loss in overall earnings, and vice versa.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I have to agree that renting a car last minute (ie anywhere under a week in advance), even in America, land of cheap and plentiful car rentals, is really not a workable solution. However, a few minutes of looking where the charge points are on your route, should you need one, is really all the planning you need to do. My work colleague did a few thousand km's road trip on his Bolt from Quebec down through the eastern seaboard of the US and back, and he didn't need to go out of his way for anything.
If you do something like regularly day trip to a ski hill that you know has no chargers, and there are none enroute, and getting there and back on a charge is a dicy proposition, definitely a hybrid is going to be a better vehicle. Last minute get out of town for the weekend stuff doesn't really need any much more time planning than looking at a map and an app, and factoring maybe and extra half an hour - 45 minutes on the journey (which, living where I live, could just as easily be eaten up by traffic and construction in any vehicle so you kind of always factor it in anyway).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

When something like that is a mere software switch away, I view it as artificially limiting the capabilities of the hardware I bought. It's the same as when Tesla puts the same full-size battery in all cars, but artificially limit the capacity in software unless you buy the next level up.

It's wasteful and abhorrent. And subscription services for features your car should by all rights already have, is even worse.

Agree on subscription services, but that's a weird take otherwise. How many cars (particularly VW/Audi diesels) are a mere ECU tune away from significantly more power?
Where do you draw the line on manufacturers "artificially" limiting performance? Naked bikes based on a supersport engine, tuned for midrange power instead of top end? Sleeved down engines? Not putting the aggressive cam on the commuter spec of a model? Is it just a hardware ok, software not ok thing for you? Calling it abhorrent is pretty hyperbolic (yes I know this is the internet).

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Yuns posted:

That's an easy to distinguish distinction. Power is tuned to ensure engines meet emissions and fuel economy standards as well as maintain reliability and driveability. When a naked and supersport share an engine one may be "detuned" but generally that doesn't mean that the naked is worse it generally means that pure hp may go to the supersport for track purposes but that the naked is more likely to be used on the street so tuning focuses on midrange torque. This is a case were neither is clearly "better" but rather it's a choice based on market and use. The manufacturer doesn't offer the alternative reflashes for a fee. Generally the after market ECU reflashes may not meet economy, emissions or noise standards.

Here we are talking about the manufacturer creating artificial tiers through software in identical hardware not driven by use case or cost, emissions, noise or economy.

I think "I want the faster one because I want to go faster and I'll pay for the upgrade" and "Nah don't care about going faster, in fact give me a discount for a slower one if you can" is absolutely a use case driven decision.
What is the difference between all the different tiers of Fiat 500 that get different power from the same 1.4l 16v engine? Are you saying that if you pay extra for the power upgrade, you should at least get some fake carbon fiber trim and a spoiler to go along with it?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Godholio posted:

You realize that a lot of people have been opposed to that kind of limit since computers started showing up in cars, right? It's not a new development. I recently bought a Chevy TBI-powered truck for camping and Home Depot runs, and hoooooboy does the community STILL have choice words for GM about the garbo tuning, particularly on the big block.

Yeah, that's kinda my point. Kozmo was saying how insensed he is that a company would dare to do such a thing, and I'm thinking, what company doesn't, and hasn't for like decades?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

That being said, I do understand being upset about it. Just not extremely so. Many moons ago, I looked into getting laser eye surgery. They did all these tests and took a detailed scan of my eyes and determined I had larger than normal pupils, so in order to mitigate the chance of ending up with night halos, they would have to use the custom map that they just took of my eye and plug that into the laser machine, instead of the default map. They charged several thousand dollars to do this. Same laser, same equipment, same procedure, they just plug in the custom map they already have and charge you extra for it. I still wear glasses, because gently caress, that's just shady. But they're a for-profit business, so I figure shady upselling is pretty much expected. :capitalism:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HEPA filtration is really just 99.97% of 0.3 micron particle filtration. Unless you're sourcing poo poo-tier filters to maximize your six sigma gainz, and/or your filter box leaks like a sieve, probably any decent OEM filter (where the manufacturer also sprung for gaskets and o-rings in the cabin air ducting) meets or exceeds HEPA ratings. It's not hard to do.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrPablo posted:

To add to the point about dealer bullshit: just because an individual dealer for a given brand is no good, that doesn't necessarily mean that all of the dealers for that brand are no good.

For example: As I mentioned above, my wife owns a 2018 Hyundai Ioniq. We had an absolutely rotten experience at Hyundai of Manasses which involved the sales staff:

• Trying to change the price that had been agreed previously agreed upon on the phone.
  • Using several shady tactics to try and pressure her into a garbage auto loan, even though she was literally sitting there with a check for the car.
  • Lying straight to her face about what she was consenting to by signing a form. We only caught this because I'm one of those weird people who reads things in their entirety -- including EULAs -- before signing.

That trip ended with her yelling at the Hyundai of Manasses sales staff that she did not consent to them keeping a copy of her personal information. To this day I tell people not to shop at Hyundai of Manasses.

Anyway, several days later we found the Ioniq in the color and package that she wanted at another Hyundai dealer (Hyundai of Silver Spring, if I remember correctly). The staff there were polite, helpful, and didn't try to pull any shady bullshit. The person that we worked with even waited patiently for 30 minutes after the store closed while I read through all of the paperwork before she signed anything.

PS. Do not shop at Hyundai of Manasses.

Thanks for the warning, I'm gonna take it one step further and just assume that anything involving manasses stinks.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I know it's personal use-case, but combined is pretty useful if your "highway" is 50% stop-and-go with intermittent spurts to "as fast as I can get before I have to hit the brakes again at the next slowdown".

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Assuming 320 Wh/mi, that's 13.76 cents per mile at $4/kWh. How does that compare to gas at current US prices? Assume the mileage of a nice modern car that someone who are EV buyers could buy.

Unless I did my napkin math wrong,
25mpg = 0.04 g/m
Say $3.00/g, so $1.20 for 0.04g, or $0.12/mile.

Edit - lol oops forgot a decimal point!

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 16, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Outside of manufactured shortages gas prices in the US are so low that buying an electric is rarely the better financial decision vs buying a used civic or corolla. Used Leafs selling for less than 10k is maybe the only case where that isn’t true. But if you’re buying a Tesla you absolutely aren’t doing it to save money.

Sure, but that goes for buying a new anything.
People shop to a budget, however vague it may be. If you're going to spend $50k on a new car and one option says "never have to think about gas again", that might be more attractive than spending $50k on a car that you have to freeze your balls off filling up once a week at the gas station. You were going to spend $50k regardless, let's be real, you weren't considering spending $15k on a Chevy Sonic.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

I think it is true that increasing the effectiveness of your houses insulation/solar radiation control/thermal mass can smooth out power demand though? Might also reduce heat pump size requirements too

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

most houses in the US are absurdly under-insulated

I feel like embracing personal solar and/or wind power is sort of like the same hurdles as being an early BEV adopter. You kind of have to buy into and adjust your lifestyle, but once you've done that it becomes incredibly worthwhile.
Like, ok I'm going to get solar panels. Well, might as well switch to high efficiency appliances, swap out all my bulbs for LEDs, insulate the place, install a high efficiency HVAC system, etc.
And people would be, drat that's hella expensive! It'll take decades to make that money back!
But that's not the point. Because now I've done all that, I can run my entire house off solar even on a cloudy day, and never pay a monthly utility bill ever again.
It's like a fuel hedge. You pay up front for future stability.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Big announcement today that the federal and provincial government are giving Ford a wheelbarrow full of money to retool the Oakville plant for EVs, so looks like the Mach E is going to end up being Ontario built (in addition to anywhere else they're currently being built).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Since this is kind of the defacto vehicle automation thread, I wanted to share a couple of interesting articles I read today on the topic. The first one, https://techxplore.com/news/2020-10-advanced-driver-assistance-susceptible-split-second-phantoms.html, is a kind of disturbing :stonklol: look at how someone could gently caress with a robot car and nobody would ever know. I'm sure they'll come out with a patch...
The second one is much more refreshing, dealing with the research going in to what's actually needed to get robots to be able to move safely and effectively in human space.
https://techxplore.com/news/2020-10-framework-safety-robots-crowded-environments.html. Turns out you need to get them to anticipate, (no poo poo) which I guess is a pretty challenging puzzle.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 14, 2020