Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Lifting off the accelerator to "brake" hasn't really affected my "move foot over and press to actually brake" instinct when I need to.

In the city with max regen and hold there are trips where I never use the brake pedal and it's great. I don't know if I'm just really steady with my foot now or the car builds in a dead zone once you're at a set speed but I find it incredibly easy to "coast" at a set speed with one pedal, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
a friend of mine cross-shopped a used e-golf with an i3, and found that almost no dealers or shops will touch an e-golf, so ended up with the i3 for about the same price but with the ability to get it fixed if something goes awry.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

dialhforhero posted:

About 15 miles to work. Half and half highway/city driving.

I am not exactly a fan of the i3s look. Also, I should add that a new one is way out of my price range so I cannot imagine even used being a better choice.

the most cursory glance at carvana shows that it's still the case that i3s run about the same as e-golfs, 11k up depending on age and mileage.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Thanks. Yeah the SRECs are all gone for my location. I had a similar take on the battery benefits, just not all that great for the money right now.

I've gotten a couple quotes, but they are for plain vanilla systems - which might be my best option, but I don't know what other options exist. When I talk with them, it seems they're not really equipped to my level of questions. For example are there higher output per sq/ft options? Other things I should consider in terms of future proofing? What's the latest tech here?
I also wonder what will happen with tax rebates in the future, depending on the election and the current tax rebate declining.

Maybe I haven't found the right group. But I feel like I have a lack of full understanding for rooftop solar. Does anyone have an 'advanced solar guide' that has more advanced options? In the end, I might select the 'tried and true' option, but I'd at least like to know what's new and coming.

As far as I know, Sunpower still has the best efficiency per square foot (23%), but they are sold as a system, installed. I have the previous generation of panel, on a string inverter, rather than micros on each of the panels, which is "the new thing". I preferred just having the one shaded inverter out of the weather.

I thought we had a solar thread somewhere but I can't find it.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
My model 3 is parked outdoors in a driveway or in a surface lot in southern Arizona and after two years and 20K miles, I'm at 1-2% range loss from new, so with active thermal management it's NBD to be outside.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Had my first dead 12v in the model 3, got to experience the comedy of having to "jump" an EV. Took me a moment to realize what was going on when it wouldn't unlock.

Able to get a same-day mobile appointment for a swap, the benefits of living in a market big enough for a service center but small enough that it's not saturated.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bum the Sad posted:

No warnings from the car? I asked a tech about it and he said the car “should” warn you.

Warning about the 12v needing replacement helpfully popped up after it was back on.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
also I realized afterward that there's no way to carry your own jumper cables because you can't open anywhere they'd be stored when the car is dead. Yes, you could keep them in the frunk and stash a 9v somewhere. Yes that's absurd.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
There is no sane reason an EV should not just float charge the 12v off shore power when connected.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bum the Sad posted:

I mean they do I think. The batteries just eventually poo poo themselves.

Mine was dead with the charger connected.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rusty posted:

This guy apparently is the person to go to for Roadster repairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI1Ord5GsQI

"One customer had his Roadster waiting at a Tesla service center for over a year because the component it required, a 400-volt controller, wasn't available according to records Medlock shared with CNBC. Although Tesla put the customer in a loaner Model S while he was waiting, he eventually took his Roadster to Medlock."

there's also this guy in phoenix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-XGqLGI6g4

They're also a UPS company and a tesla's basically a giant DC to AC converter with wheels, so....

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

These things are pretty neat:

https://freewiretech.com/products/dc-boost-charger

Up to 120kW vehicle output with <30kW grid draw. 240V Split phase or 120Y208V grid connections. I'm surprised Tesla never installed things similar to this along remote highways.

At least one of their heavy travel time pop up superchargers is megapack powered, so it's plausible that some permanent ones may be soon. This seems like a perfect option in the Midwest where they could double as grid storage for wind/solar generation out there

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Need help from people with more experience in the full ev world . I am looking between a Kona Ultimate EV or a Model 3 Long Range. The Model 3 has some more range and AWD, however I am still very wary of the whole tech company making cars. The drivetrain warranty is pretty comparable between Hyundai and Tesla. What are the out of pocket repair costs for Teslas? I have heard the horror stories about the Model X windshields and $$$$$ but nothing else. Are all the other areas of the Tesla reliable?

Boils down to worries over car company making electric car or tech company making electric car.

The model 3 has a 4 year warranty with 8 on the Powertrain, and its only been in wide distribution for 2.5 years so there's no real long term data yet. RZA is 100% correct you're at the mercy of your local service center-- I did have an issue just after taking delivery 2 years ago and they got it taken care of pretty quickly. More recently, I had a dead 12v and they came out the next day and swapped it for free even though that's supposed to be a wear item. Other than those problems there's been nothing else.

Both of the above issues would have been dramatically more annoying with some of the service center waits I've heard about.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
someone compiled a chart of real world reported consumptions a while back. Old enough there's no Y, but it has the 3

https://twitter.com/TroyTeslike/status/1038920763955396608

That chart claims 270mi at 80mph for LR aero, which seems a little high but not too far off. I could (barely) do round trip Tucson-Phoenix back at ~85, that's about 240 miles, so maybe 250 at 80?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

VideoGameVet posted:

Venturi Highway?

:golfclap:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

They pushed the range update to existing Model Y owners. They might do it to the Model 3 also.

Some model 3s already got a range update 310->325. It might just be after some time on the road they have better data to adjust the range guestimate.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

gwrtheyrn posted:

Hasn't it been 6 months away for like a decade now or some other variation of "soon"

the zeno's paradox of full self driving capabilities.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
That's awesome. I can't wait to see some of the conversions that can happen when electric drop ins are more widely available

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

SpaceCadetBob posted:

The range is a bit lower than I was hoping for, but there was a good argument to be made that for a commercial vehicle you don't really want to pay the upfront costs for Kwh that you aren't going to use on a daily basis. My construction trucks never drive near 100 miles in a day, and the news I'm reading says the 2.4 kw generator in the back can run at full load for 3 hours and only drop the range by like 14 miles.

Overall I'm pretty excited about it.

The verge article on it said that Ford looked at data from their biggest transit customers and found that 76 miles was the average daily travel distance

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/12/21559954/ford-e-transit-electric-delivery-cargo-van-price-specs-range

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

pointsofdata posted:

They've done this in Bordeaux for a while to avoid overhead lines in the city center. Seems to work fine, they keep building more lines, no idea about the cost.

It's a cool system which seems adaptable for bus stops to top up batteries

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-level_power_supply

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Also amazing the car didn't burn to a crisp. I think there is still only one documented case of a 3's whole pack catching fire-- that russian crash.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/12/tesla-fire-moscow-explosions-autopilot/

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I ran across this series of videos the other day about the wheego LiFe- a production car from a company with aspirations of taking on Tesla but on an r&d budget of $8M and with 7 employees.

They made ~100 of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtwHfv4kJSQ

It is awful

He's got 13 or so videos on it from when he got it to when it, spoiler alert, dies.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Looks like there's finally a EV wagon!

The MG 5 EV, looks delightfully practical... too bad it's not coming to the US. Sigh

it is good looking!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4ZCxIbnb90

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
VW still intends to make a wagon but it's delayed to '23 now, so I'm still doubtful

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a34757971/heres-when-well-see-the-first-ev-station-wagon/

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Daimler is going to own 20% of them, and they already use Mercedes engines, so they will just source a drivetrain from them.

quote:

The deal will give Aston Martin, whose profitability over the decades has never matched its status as one of Britain's premier brands, access to Mercedes' electric car technology.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54712376

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
If battery swapping was tenable, Tesla would have continued with it. The time savings over 200kW+ charging don't really outweigh the complexity.

Keeping enough charged batteries at a given station just doesn't scale, especially with the apparent lack of supply across the industry. I'd imagine you'll get more revenue from putting each additional pack into a vehicle or selling excess capacity.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
the car chassis and drivetrain for an EV seems very much like something that could be a "white box" product-- provide a body design and software and now you're a car company.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Makes me wonder if earlier-generation EVs like the i3 would have sold better if they hadn't looked so dang weird.

Freakanomics did an episode on this (about the prius and solar panels) , and depending on the market, the extreme design was a way to signal that you cared about the environment so for early adopters the wierdness was part of the selling point rather than being a turn-off

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/show-and-yell-a-new-freakonomics-radio-podcast/

For the i3 in particular, a car whose specs did not even come close to warranting the MSRP it had, this seems plausible.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Westy543 posted:

By the way, goons who have purchased and still currently own a model 3 or Y, how do you like your cars after some time with them? Have they given you any weird issues? You can PM if you're worried about getting poo poo for posting, but I thought I'd ask for some experiences from actual owners on this comedy forum.

2018 LR RWD-- after almost 3 years the tl:dr is I'd buy it again. Have definitely had some "it's a computer issues" from time to time-- Bluetooth unlocks not working, once or twice I've gotten in and there will be a slew of AP errors and I have to reboot the MCU but on the whole, given $56K and the options out there, I'd take the Tesla again. It is fun, comfortable, and has a surprising amount of storage-- I can fit more in the trunk/frunk and other nooks and crannies than my legacy wagon. At the time of purchase, there was still the threat of Tesla maybe not making it but that appears to be over.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't feel this thread moves fast enough to warrant a split, really. If and when it becomes unfollowable because of volume, a news/speculation thread and an owners/diy thread seems like the sanest option. I do realize that jumping in at the end of a clique-ey megathread can feel weird so maybe time for mk4 just to reboot that aspect.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Westy543 posted:

Only slated for China right now due to supply concerns, but ID.6 spotted:

Apparently it's Subaru Outback sized. Might come to the US in the future.

looks chonky

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

What the actual gently caress, BMW?

No seriously WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress, BMW?

:wtc:

It's like all the bad design cues of the past five years got into a room and some BMW exec went "Ja, das ist gut."

this is it, the ugliest EV

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

The motor isn't really the weak link in an EV chain, like a gas engine might be.

AEM EV also isn't warrantying the drive unit.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Westy543 posted:

Official e-Tron GT pictures: https://imgur.com/a/d5qv3dH

Coming this summer. Unrelated, 2022 Bolt EV (second gen) reveal on Sunday, along with the Bolt EUV reveal.

"The new crossover, and the redesigned hatch, will be the last of GM's EVs that won't feature the automaker's new Ultium battery technology."

Didn't realize they hadn't put it in a product yet-- assumed it was just a "branding name" for whatever batteries were in it already.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

harperdc posted:

Nope, it seems to be specific to their new-gen cells/modules.

Was looking for more info and found this spectrum article on it

https://spectrum.ieee.org/transportation/advanced-cars/gm-opens-up-a-new-front-in-its-battle-with-tesla-batteries

quote:

"GM’s 200-kWh pack contains two stacks of modules wired in series for a total of 800 volts, allowing 350-kilowatt fast charging,"

"Ultium 1.0 batteries offer 60 percent more energy density than those found in the Bolt"

"GM says even its smallest and most-affordable new EVs will have ranges of at least 482 km (300 miles), despite having packs as small as 50 kWh, about 25 percent less energy than the current Bolt. “If you’re not getting at least 300 miles from a new EV architecture, you’re doing something wrong,” says Andy Oury, GM’s lead engineer for high-voltage battery packs."

166wh/mi seems pretty dang good, hope that actually happens.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

600HP eco mode :haw:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Wibla posted:

wk057 made a pretty interesting post about the Tesla 85 kWh battery issues. Most of this makes sense to me (as an EE), though I still have (unanswered) questions about the supercharger throttling that he specifically doesn't want to get into in that writeup.

There were a couple of posts on r/teslamotors about getting supercharging back recently, so it may still be related, the BMS just wants more time to be confident about condition x/z?

Interesting, regardless.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

The Ioniq 5 premiere is Feb 22 11pm Pacific time.
https://www.hyundai.com/worldwide/en/ioniq/ioniq5
  • 10 to 80% in 18 minutes, 100km in 5 minutes

Somebody, anybody, put together a competent charging competitor to tesla. There are a lot of great EVs coming out with comparable range and feature sets and that's really the last differentiator.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

Visibility: Thick, sloping pillars, a high hood, and a low, angled windshield hinder front views for drivers of all heights. The rear three-quarter view is even worse, with only a tiny portion of the rear glass visible in the rear-view mirror. The backup camera doesn’t help much, either, because it displays only on a small portion of the large center touch screen.

Driving position: It’s a tightly hemmed-in space all around, with a wide center console, cramped headroom even for average-sized drivers, and a tight footwell. It’s hard to reach controls but easy to rub up against sharp plastic edges. Even the massive glass roof doesn’t make the car feel less claustrophobic. It starts so far behind the driver that it might as well not even be there.

Fit and finish: Polestar promises a “minimal masterpiece.” All we saw was evidence of minimal expense, with the kind of drab fabric and plastic you’d expect from an entry-level subcompact—not a $62,000 EV. The plastic surrounding the center console had sharp edges. The seat covers are made from a cheap-looking cloth, and even the black plastic key lacks heft. It’s straight out of the Volvo parts bin but lacks finishing trim that distinguishes its features, and it feels less enjoyable to push. Look at some newer Hyundais, Kias, or even the new Nissan Sentra for examples of how good design can make an affordable car’s interior look special, and you’ll see just how far behind the pricey Polestar lags.

Well that doesn't sound great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
new EV mail truck!

quote:

As for Oshkosh's prototype truck, it's actually based on a Ford Transit. Ford in the past confirmed it was working with Oshkosh on the USPS mail truck prototype, but it's not clear how the vehicle has evolved over the past few years. Ford declined to comment on its work with Oshkosh and the NGDV program.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/usps-electric-mail-trucks-oshkosh-defense/