Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I have a model 3 in the garage and think that it’s useful to be able to share examples of lovely Tesla electric vehicle QC here, in the electric vehicle thread, even if it’s posted to the Nazi bird site. I relied on that sort of thing when we took delivery of the car as a checklist of stuff to watch out for and now just in case I missed something. Ours is great, but that doesn’t mean it’s unwise to know what you might be getting yourself into.

Also making fun of tesla (or any manufacturer) for being bad at making cars is funny even if they are often decent cars that are fun to drive. Weird that people get so upset about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Charles posted:

2 tons could be thousands of dollars worth of goods not getting sold. Hopefully we can make it worthwhile for commerce to adopt them anyway.

You can do this with legislation, e.g., by mandating them. There are no legal free markets in the US.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I thought I loathed driving until I drove a model 3. Lane centering and adaptive cruise takes away 90% of what I actually hate and suddenly I can drive for over thirty minutes without feeling tired and angry.

When I drove a Bolt the LKA was scary because it didn’t have the same constant feedback the 3 does on its big stupid display. I was always worried that it would fail or not actually be active and I would run off the road. There are plenty of things to criticize about Teslas, but the level of instrumentation wrt the car’s sensors and processes is pretty decent. At some point I expect to sell my gas car and get another bev, but not until something with a similar level of transparency is available. Seems like a low priority since I’ve been driving fewer than ten miles a week recently thanks to C19.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

That truck rules. I love the little cargo cubby. :3:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Love the compartment behind the base of the seats, or the butt hole if you will. That truck has a nice butt hole

No ring.

Seriously though that is a very nice truck. I've forgotten what they cost and am not going to look it up because I imagine it's far more than I'm willing to spend.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

priznat posted:

Oh good tesla drivers are going to be yelling at people now? Excellent.

It will be an interesting change from them honking at me when I’m on my bike delaying them by several valuable seconds I guess.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I’m hoping the weird car market resolves itself before the lease we have on a 3 expires toward the end of next year. Had planned to buy it out, but Tesla says that’s not an option. I can only imagine it’s because it’s so low mileage due to the pandemic and no one spending much time on the road so they know they can flip it to someone else at a huge premium. Should’ve just bought the thing, but there were circumstances that made leasing appealing. I guess we could just buy a new one, but then there’s the Tesla assembly quality lottery to play all over again. Who knows, maybe there will be a true 3 killer out by then that doesn’t cost 50% more.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

My last car had to go in for the Takata airbag recall. Twice.

Car poo poo is complicated, yo. :shrug:

My current ICE car had the same. Still driving it because other than apparently wanting to kill me in a wreck it has been a really good commuting/grocery appliance. The 3 is affected by the recall but I’m in no hurry. The rear camera going out would be inconvenient, but not really a huge deal.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

SnatchRabbit posted:

I really hope everyone sees the irony of posting this in a EV thread with a bunch of dorks congratulating themselves on their WoW level min maxing EV range and peeing themselves when someone in a vehicle larger than an e-golf passes them because they drive 45 In the passing lane like a eunich.

The faster you drive the bigger your penis is. It’s just science.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

In all seriousness I’ve found that the model 3 is basically perfect for almost all of our needs and have been considering finding an old pick-up for the remainder. I can’t really justify the price of an EV truck and terrible fuel economy doesn’t matter at all when I’m just driving the thing a few hours a month.

Shame everything is so expensive right now.

e:

priznat posted:

I don't want to get a truck because it would mean I would have to do stuff (clean up the yard, help friends move) with it and I am incredibly lazy. No thank you!!

OK this is a pretty good argument against.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

part the third: stop wasting your time badging your car

Counterpoint: TIMBO badge on an EV is extra funny.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Right time to unbookmark for a while

Thanks for this update be sure to let us know when you rebookmark!

Loucks
May 21, 2007

priznat posted:

Yeah it's funny because I track my mileage on my ICE vehicle pretty religiously and ever since I have gone to WFH in october when I switched jobs, my mileage has gone to complete poo poo because my trips are now just less than 3miles most of the time. It'd be an absolute perfect use case for an EV where it could just live in the 50-70% charge level forever pretty much.

I've had a similar experience in that due to covid I went from commuting three days a week and going on trips all the time to rarely taking any trips further than the market or the park. I end up taking the gas car for thos emost of the time just because I don't want it to sit unused for weeks on end, and it has rewarded me with awful mileage.

Probably should just sell it in all honesty. Maybe I can convince my wife we need a M3P to go with the LR. :mrgw:

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

Yeah, full self driving cars would need to be able to break the law in order to be safe. Going 65 when everyone else is going 20mph faster than you can be dangerous.

Until a critical mass of FSD cars is reached, anyway. Then they can drive a sane speed. Not that FSD will be achieved in the next 20 years, so it’s a moot point.

The other component here is that structuring things such that it is considered normal to drive e.g., 100 miles at 85mph routinely is inefficient and pointless, but that’s not a pov I expect will be greeted warmly here on the car forum.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

One thing I can kind of sense driving a Tesla in the midwest USA is that it seems like it is somewhat less of a target on the roads when it is a least a little dirty. Salt, dust, mud, etc seems like sunscreen that protects you from most jerks. A little bit of salt spray or dust and it stops being a political statement in their eyes and goes back to just being a car. So I definitely need a finish on the car that doesn't require constant maintenance and special care.

I drive a Tesla in the Midwest and have never once had anyone act weird around it. They seem really common around here too. Maybe if you have a plaid S and someone recognizes it that might be notable, but ime a 3 is just another car to most people.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Oh please, that’s tame compared to bwbd’s anti-one pedal post. Just truly depraved poo poo.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

I just carry a pocket full of broken spark plug insulation.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Are you cool with buying product from an intensely racist company?

I too am an ethical consumer, giving money only to the good corporations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Let he who has a squeaky clean rap sheet cast the first report.

Nah, gently caress joking about beating your wife. Shoulda been a longer probe.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Chin Strap posted:

Its a week now, and mine is fixed. All is good. CAT did not have to punish themselves so.

Oh cool. Good. I'm a terrible poster but that poo poo was egregious.

My local Kia dealer has the EV6 in stock now. They only have two nearly identical GT models, both in grey. Kinda want to go test drive one but I'm concerned I'd decide to buy one. Massive dealer mark-up and that pico-frunk might be enough to shut me down though. Still really just want an electric van with decent range and performance and a bitchin' wizard painted on the side.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

The GT isn’t out yet. What they have are the GT-Line models which is just another trim level and doesn’t have the high performance hardware.

Thanks, Kia.

Haha that's great. Thanks for saving me a wasted trip.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

ppl have been asking for a bike-specific subforum for literally years. Let’s make one and call it Automotive Sanity

Yea but for realism make all AI posters mods in the new subforum so they can arbitrarily ban cycleposters out of nowhere. :gibs:

MrYenko posted:

Bicycles are not auto-motive.

I haven’t regularly read the rest of AI in recent years, but as I recall neither were most of the project cars.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 27, 2022

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

There's also the Mini EV, which only has ~100 miles of range, but the guys over at TFL seemed to have a positive view of. Super-limited range, but it's small and one of the lowest-priced EV in the US market.

This is a cool little car. Too bad getting active cruise control requires a $7000 model upgrade, because otherwise the MiniEV seems to fit 99% of my mission cheaply and would provide an excellent excuse for refusing to drive hundreds of miles, a thing I hate.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

McPhearson posted:

If 100 mile range is not an issue check out a used i3 with the tech package.

What I really want is an e-assist velomobile to take care of 75% of my needs, my 3LR for the occasional longer trip/kid hauling, and a rental truck for when I need to get plywood or something. Too bad I'd immediately get turned into a pile of bloody carbon fiber by some jackass in a Tahoe if I took a velomobile onto public roads.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

The lack of radar really does bother me. I guess them going all in on it by also getting rid of it in the S and X is maybe good though?

This is how I found out Tesla shitcanned radar. What the hell are they thinking? Vision sucks, we’re just so used to having to deal with it as a primary sensory input that we think it’s good at things. Now I’m extra annoyed that Tesla refuses to let us buy out the lease on the low mileage 3 in the garage that still has radar. Makes me far less likely to buy another Tesla when I have to get a new car.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It’s faster acceleration, not higher top speed. If you’re turning onto a busy road from a stop the time you spend going less than the speed of traffic is dangerous. You can always follow the speed limit and still benefit hugely from faster acceleration. Also it’s fun.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

gwrtheyrn posted:

On the other hand if you need massive acceleration to make a turn, it wasn't safe to make the turn in the first place

Maybe not, but consider that my other car is an old Corolla in which safe turns become unsafe because the bastard is totally gutless. Durable though!

cruft posted:

Oh good, it had been like five whole pages since someone made this ridiculous assertion.

Oh no are you the guy who tries to merge onto the freeway at 50 and just assumes the fully loaded tractor trailer bearing down on him at 80 has enough brakes?

e: If there's a good argument for the idea that jumping into traffic going way slower than the flow is a safe choice I'd love to hear it for real. Making a line of drivers slam on their brakes looks like a terrible idea to me though.

Loucks fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 9, 2022

Loucks
May 21, 2007

cruft posted:

I'm the guy who's tired of people making the following assertion

So I gathered, but if it’s so obvious that joining the flow of traffic and matching it’s speed relatively quickly is somehow not a good idea itd be cool if you’d explain why instead of just getting all huffy about how anyone could believe otherwise. I’m not saying “buy a model S plaid or you will be hamburger,” I’m saying “my old Toyota takes forever to get up to 45 so I have to wait forever to find a big enough spot to safely merge when my 3LR makes it easy to safely make a turn when other cars exist within half a block.”

I’m serious. Tell me what’s wrong with that.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

gotta protect the feelings of SA's resident chuds

that's why CSPAM + D&D were made into "politics containment zones" and we can all see how well that strategy's been paying off

I mean I can't stand the dude either, but you've got a bad case of consumerbrain if you think a couple of posters on a dead forum buying Polestars or something instead of Teslas is going to make any difference.

Here's a thread-appropriate dog, but I prefer the other one.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

'not buying a car from a company currently being helmed by a man who has publicly cheer-led recent fascist attempts to destabilize and replace democratically-elected governments in Canada+the US, and whose aforementioned company is being sued right now by the world's sixth-largest economy for running what the lawsuit calls a "racially segregated production facility" after FIVE YEARS of warnings' = a bridge too far for some goons

lmao of course you have a JOE tag

if you want a laugh, check out the AI chat thread for fun stuff he's been tweeting about trans people (not counting all the other awful poo poo he's tweeted about trans people) and Ukraine

I don't know what the joe tag has to do with anything, but this is already turning into a pointless derail. I knew what the guy tweeted when I made my previous post, so just refer to that and be mad if you feel the need to be.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

idk, I just think about how the trans people among my family and friends might feel if I pulled up to pick them up in a brand spanking new 2022 Model S after all the recent bullshit, ya know? :shrug:

I'm sorry that me talking about it makes you uncomfortable

It really doesn't make me feel uncomfortable, I just don't see the point of rehashing it itt every couple of pages. Elon Musk is bad and there are a lot of threads to discuss that sort of thing in. Not talking about it right here and now doesn't mean that everyone here wants to hug and kiss Elon Musk. I do feel uncomfortable wielding trans/queer people in my orbit as a bludgeon, but you don't seem to have any such reservations.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Best rate my credit union can give is 2.2% @ 63 month. I think I can live with that. Now to have that good old chat with the Kia dealer to talk about that sweet and totally not loving insane ADM.

Good luck, but I hope you have pics of the manager cheating on their spouse or something. As much as I like the EV6 (which should have been a wagon) my local dealer seems convinced that there are plenty of people desperate to pay well over MSRP.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Oh yeah, probably. I can wait, but it's not great out there for people who need a car right now.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It means that he believes that the only way to solve vehicle autonomy is to put a GPU in the car, run a hardware accelerated NN model on that GPU, and teach that a neural Net to drive on a massive training cluster using massive amounts of data gleaned from real world driving.

Basically only Tesla is doing it right despite them having 0 success at anything beyond L2. He thinks neural nets are human brains and you just need enough experience and computing power to simulate a human driver.

He might be right that with enough data you can simulate a human driver, but the caveat there is that human drivers are awful at making decisions. I wouldn't trust my life to a system only as good as I am at driving.

I do however trust Tesla's system not to ram my car into oncoming traffic or the car ahead of me, which even now seems like an unsafe bet. Laziness wins v prudence once again. It's incredibly nice to be able to relax on longer drives and just look out for hazards instead of paying so much attention to lane position. Even if we never get anything approaching full autonomy I'll never buy a car without ACC and lanekeeping again.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

It finally happened, I became a victim of Tesla harassment. I stopped at McDonalds in my 3, and when I got to the window the kid says “nice Model Y, I love it”

I felt absolutely gutted.

Gonna try this next time I see a model S.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Kai Soul Enthusias is a real 0_o choice of an account rename

As an ex-Kia soul owner I find it hilarious.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

OMFG nothing worse than seeing “Bimmer” written “Beamer”

it is haram

Go post that in Cycle Asylum.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Kirios posted:

Ehhhh the Bolt's interior is still hideous to me. I was hoping they would refresh it.

You're not wrong, but it's far better than it was when I test drove one in 2019. Now that was truly cheap & hideous. I assume that they'll still make you buy the top trim to get ACC & lanekeeping, which feels sketchy since those should be basic safety features imo.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

PneumonicBook posted:

Starting to think a $2500 markup on a bolt isn't that bad lol

Don’t forget the thousands of dollars it takes to get ACC for extremely stupid reasons.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

Screw minivan. Ford makes the transit full sized vans based on the F150 frames. Gimme a full size transit on a Lightning frame in panel trim so I can commission some rad murals with wizards shooting lightning bolts.

An electric van like this with removable rear seats/bench for cargo/camper duty would be absolutely amazing, especially if it’s wide enough for sheets of plywood (unlike the buzz). And yeah, the 70’s fantasy mural seems obligatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

That looks really good. Well chosen.