Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Picked up my Model 3 Performance today, after about 7 months of waiting. Left the lot with 50% charge (set it to %, default was miles), made it home with 17% even though navigation estimated I'd have 11%. I think my 30 mile average when I got home was about 240 wh/mile so I wasn't driving it hard although it was raining, and its a stealth performance so it has 18" aeros on it. Still, even at like 30% battery that thing kicks like a horse when you push go (had to do it just once!).

Fit and finish, good enough for me. There is one kinda loud rattle on the passenger side of the cabin I'll have to track down once I have a passenger to look for it with. Otherwise I didn't see any problems from circling the car a couple times.

Autopilot is magic, made the 70 or so miles of freeway go by in a breeze. It was set to hold mode by default, and I'm already ruined by regenerative braking and will be unable to drive an ICE reliably again. Didn't touch the brake pedal even once the whole 100 mile trip home.

Installed a software update once I got home, and its now charging full tilt on my HPWC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Not ok with it, just know its probably something easy to fix.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Congrats, Indiana_Krom!

Thanks again for the referral code.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just don’t understand how are people ok with this.

Westy543 posted:

Congratulations on your new EV! Enjoy it!! I'm glad to hear you had a positive delivery experience. Let us know what the rattle is once you fix it (if you're okay sharing).

Bum the Sad posted:

lol,

*unplugged seat belt buckle taps pillar*
:kingsley: RETURN THE CAR :kingsley:

The really embarrassing part is: that's exactly what it was. Passenger side buckle was tapping against the plastic on the B pillar because it was turned funny, fixed it without even trying when I was putting in my floor liners...

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Today I had to move my old Altima to open up some parking for my brother in law who is coming to get it tomorrow. Got in, grabbed the shift lever (hey, at least I remembered how that works!), and then when it wouldn't shift I remembered that you have to start these things to make them move. Only the second day of driving a Tesla and I'm already forgetting how to drive a normal car.

At least after that moment of EV induced memory loss, I remembered to turn it off when I was done moving it.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

OldSenileGuy posted:

I know autopilot chat was a few pages back, but I wanted to chime in:

The only time I’ve driven a Tesla was when I rented a model 3 for 3 days during a trip to Dallas last October. I fuckin loved it and spent a lot of time just tooling around Dallas so I could drive that car. But part of the trip included a roughly 1 hour ride straight south of Dallas, and autopilot on that ride was ...just ok.

I definitely see the benefit of having it, but I wouldn’t exactly say I felt relaxed because I was constantly monitoring the steering wheel to try to figure out how often I had to nudge it to avoid the car yelling at me. I guess I was misinformed, but I had been under the impression that just resting my hand on the steering wheel would be enough to keep the car from yelling at me. I didn’t realize until I started using it that I had to actually give it a little nudge left or right every minute or so, even on long straight stretches of Texas highway. And the nudge it needed was actually more forceful than I would have expected it to be. There were a couple times when I gave the wheel slight nudges that were not detected by the car.

Maybe knowing the proper timing and strength to nudge the steering wheel to keep autopilot happy is a skill you pick up with time, but I didn’t master it in my 3 days with the car.

One pedal driving was awesome though.

I used it on my drive home when I picked up my model 3, I just kept my hands on the wheel and it never even asked for about 40-50 miles of freeway. Though I did pull it out of autopilot a couple times by myself because it drifted a bit to the right when the shoulder line was gone because of on-ramps, but the rest of the time it performed fine. It did get upset at a bit of traffic when someone changed lanes close in front of me, did the loud chirp and "take over immediately" but I didn't actually have to do anything.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

bird with big dick posted:

It seems like with Tesla’s system you spend more time with your foot on the gas pedal rather than applying regen via the brake pedal which doesn’t really seem like a good thing for having to do abrupt emergency braking.
Doesn't the brake pedal on a Tesla just always activate the mechanical brake? I thought the way they did it regen was all on the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal is just exactly what it says on the tin.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

dialhforhero posted:

I think I found that charging costs are more expensive still than gas prices when comparing tank charge vs. gas and distance traveled. True?
This prompted me to do the math on the Nissan Altima 2.5S I used to have vs the Tesla Model 3 Performance I have now on how much it costs per unit of distance.
The Nissan reached 42 MPG optimal when I was cruising on the highway. So best case at 42 MPG with the current gas prices here being $2.19/gallon that equals $0.052 cents per mile or 19.1 miles per dollar.
The Tesla is holding about 250 Wh/mile or 4 miles per kWh, electricity is $0.11/kWh here which translates to $0.0275/mile or 36.3 miles per dollar.

In reality the Altima was significantly worse than that because my daily commute was entirely city traffic and I tended to idle it a lot in winter to warm it up, even in summer I was getting ~20 MPG on average and I remember once in winter during a particularly cold stretch I was near 11 MPG (and fuel was closer to $3/gallon at the time). The Tesla is also likely to be significantly worse in winter because of running the heater/preconditioning and all that, but it should still be proportional to the Altima so it will still cost less in energy.

In your case charging from a standard US 3 prong 120v outlet is going to be a little less efficient than a 240v outlet (but yes you can do that with an e-Golf no problem), so it will cost slightly more to charge but still significantly less than filling up on gasoline or diesel. The e-golf is rated for a fairly similar ~245Wh/mile (~4 miles per kWh), so you can just calculate the numbers yourself, take the price per kWh off your electric bill and the price per gallon of fuel in your area and:
Miles per gallon divided by cost per gallon = miles per dollar.
Miles per kWh divided by cost per kWh = miles per dollar.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

MrOnBicycle posted:

It going take a loooong time to for that Tesla to pay itself from fuel savings. I'm not much better though, I'm not going to save money buying a PHEV, but sometimes it's nice to buy cool tech.

More like never, I didn't get a P3D- with any expectation of saving money.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

MomJeans420 posted:

Surely you've seen people try to coordinate buying a Tesla or getting it delivered in this very thread.

Yeah, my Model 3 is awesome, but this company is hilariously inept at customer service. My experience buying it was pretty bad, but I got through it mostly thanks to a competent sales advisor who went the extra mile to get it done for me. I was also fortunate to not have any QC issues with the vehicle itself.

When tesla sent me a satisfaction survey, I cracked my knuckles and laid it on them pretty hard (while still praising my sales advisor and team for their efforts combating the stupid system that screwed up more than once during the process).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

MomJeans420 posted:

It may depend on where you live. Just from my friends that own Teslas, it seems it's easier if you live near Silicon Valley or LA.

I picked mine up in Chicago (I live in southern Wisconsin). One thing I was mildly disappointed about was when I got there to pick it up, they were just finishing up washing and drying it and only then plugged it in. I had a 104 mile trip home to make in a model 3 performance and it had 40% charge...

Needless to say I don't have range anxiety, but it was kind of a good thing I was goofing around with the controls/settings/syncing my phone up/eating a snack, and all that for about an hour before I was ready to head out. Thanks to the extra time on their L2 charger I got home with 17% instead of the initial estimates of barely 5%. And it was doubly good because when I got home and did the first big test of the charging setup, it turns out the circuit breaker we had was defective and kept tripping, I ended up level 1 charging off a 5-20 circuit for a couple days till I could get the replacement breaker in.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Last week we took the neighbors wife for a ride in my P3D, she got out and told her husband "I think we need a new car.". He complained we were sturring up trouble. So today we took him for a ride and he got out and said "I think I'm ready to trade in the Mercedes...".

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Gamesguy posted:

8. In terms of exterior styling I understand why most people didn't buy this car. It just doesn't stand out from the thousands of other audi SUVs on the road. I think it looks good but it's not attention grabbing like a tesla or even an i-pace where everyone around you recognizes it's an EV at a glance.
Yeah, I'm not sure I like the huge fake grill in the front of it, its an EV so they should take advantage of not needing one that big. Otherwise it looks great and the interior looks really good too, plus it probably is nice to not have to explain to everyone how to open the doors.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

stevewm posted:

There is one version of the Ioniq that does something like this. The 12v system is powered from a 12v pack made from the same cells as the main battery pack. But its seperated off in its own small compartment from the main pack.

The dash has a button that can be held down to "jump" this smaller 12v pack from the main pack should it ever be dead for any reason.

Fake edit: Found it! https://www.cars.com/articles/2017-hyundai-ioniq-what-does-this-button-do-1420695209640/ This page mentions it.

Okay that is pretty awesome, more EVs should do that.

I did a little snooping around online to see how much the lithium-ion drop in replacement 12v batteries for a Tesla Model 3 cost, and I laughed the page closed when it was like $800. Maybe in a couple years when my OEM 12v will probably be reaching its limit there will be more affordable ones on the market.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Yuns posted:

Ummm I've managed to kill a Shorai in one of my motorcycles by fully discharging it by leaving my key in it to the point where it couldn't be recharged or saved. While I've switched to them in all my motorcycles and run them 4 seasons for weight reasons; they definitely can be killed.

Yeah, lithium batteries should all have a protection circuit that permanently fuses off cells if one drops below the cells minimum voltage (2.5v typically) because if you attempt to charge them up again after they have depleted that far they usually explode because the metal plates inside the battery corrode and or form short circuits from the stresses at low voltage. Charging one up too high on the other hand (past 4.3v for most cells) and they can form lithium crystals which also can short out the cell and cause it to explode, only in this case runaway reactions are much more likely because the battery is also filled with energy in that state.

Otherwise as long as they are kept within safe voltage tolerances (3.0v to 4.2v) they are basically impossible to kill, but will still degrade and lose capacity over time.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Aug 4, 2020

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Westy543 posted:

Cadillac Lyriq unveiled tonight. I stole some details and pics from electrek's slide summary, pls no punish:

It also has a cool 33 inch screen.

I wonder if the door handles work the same as a Tesla 3/Y, they look similar on the outside. I don't see a traditional door handle on the interior either. Also wonder if that huge wide screen is going to be used for the side view cameras (assuming they get regulatory approval).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Beamed posted:

Is this a good thread to post in when I'm considering getting my first car (never needed one) and know jackshit about em? I'm definitely interested in an EV, but not sure where to start digging into resources. In terms of charging stations, I live near a ton and all that, so I'm not worried.
Can't hurt to ask how you intend to use a vehicle should you buy one (like how far your daily commute will be, what kind of weather you will see on it, what shape you want, etc) and what kind of budget/credit do you have available, then we could suggest EVs that you might want to look at or test drive.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

MrYenko posted:

As an example, my 2013 Volt included charger would do a maximum of 12a@125vac, but would accept up to 15a@240vac.

My 2018 Model 3 LR with the included charger does up to 32a@240vac, but the car tops out at 40a@240vac.

With the Volt, I got a clipper creek L2 charging station. With the Tesla, the stock charger is waaaaay more than adequate.
Agrreed, I have a Tesla wall charger for my model 3 P which tops off at 48A output (11.5kw) and is totally overkill for my day to day usage since it can reliably completely charge the car from 0 to 100 overnight if one wanted to. I looked at various other options including chargepoint/clipper creak/etc, but decided on the HPWC for three main reasons:
It needed to work outdoors (driveway, no garage) so it needed a NEMA 3 rating like most proper L2 charging stations have.
I was installing it myself so cost was only in materials and permitting, and a wifi connected L2 charger gets me a $500 rebate from my electric company.
And finally the Tesla HPWC is $500 where the clipper creak/chargepoint/etc chargers with comparable specs started at around $800 and often reached towards $1200 just for the unit.

If I had a proper garage I probably would have just installed a 6-50 or 14-50 electrical outlet and strapped a mobile connector to it semi-permanently.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

FilthyImp posted:

Doug reviewed the Fisker Karma a while ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfg4ZG1dZW4

Crazy to know it was between this and the Model S to see which would be the successful EV breakout.

In retrospect, the Model S winning is fairly obvious. More room, more cargo, more acceleration, and it is a straight up BEV. I think that car looks great on the outside, definitely would turn heads though I'm maybe not as big of a fan of the split front grill. It beats the Model S styling, the earlier S front was kind of ugly IMO (the updated styling looks much better to me).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
After about a month of ownership I have come to the conclusion that a Model 3 is still a bit of a novelty in far Southwest Wisconsin. (Despite the fact that I have seen 7 other Teslas in town, several of them quite regularly.) People are always looking at me when I am out driving, people walking by on the sidewalks seeing it parked at the house often point at it, and today someone practically ran up to me in a parking lot asking for my referral link.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

MrLogan posted:

I'm glad Tesla made EVs affordable for the masses by coming out with the Model 3 six months after the Bolt was released.

I think the idea that idea that Tesla is ahead of the competition is from comparing price points. A model Y at $50k looks pretty compelling compared to the competition selling at $70k.

However, I don't think the price delta is due to any secret sauce on Tesla's part.

Legacy auto makers actually have to make a profit on their cars. If Tesla increased prices by $10k so they made money instead of selling cars for a loss it would change the narrative quite a bit.
Can you post credible sources showing Tesla is still selling Model 3/Ys at a loss?

I mean, good luck finding any credible source in the abyss of misinformation floating around on the web, but at least in articles dated in the last year or so on google for "tesla model 3 margin" the consensus seems to be ~20%, with some configurations almost reaching 40%.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Kreez posted:

-Is there any charger out there that can pull power from two separate 240V 20A circuits? Running thicker gauge wire for a 40A circuit is a non-starter. With the magic/cheapness of power electronics these days, I can't imagine it would be technically too difficult, but maybe it's too much of an edge case to bother with?
Physically possible but one should never attempt to do something like that, very risky and or potentially extremely dangerous if you crossed the phases. And also probably unnecessary since one 20A circuit can deliver almost 4 kW which should be plenty for daily use up to ~120 miles.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Need help from people with more experience in the full ev world . I am looking between a Kona Ultimate EV or a Model 3 Long Range. The Model 3 has some more range and AWD, however I am still very wary of the whole tech company making cars. The drivetrain warranty is pretty comparable between Hyundai and Tesla. What are the out of pocket repair costs for Teslas? I have heard the horror stories about the Model X windshields and $$$$$ but nothing else. Are all the other areas of the Tesla reliable?

Boils down to worries over car company making electric car or tech company making electric car.

Out of pocket repair costs on either of these cars is going to be your insurance deductible if they need any significant repair. Some youtuber backed his model 3 into the corner of the garage and broke a tail light/did some damage to the rear quarter panel, it was like $12,000 to get it fixed. The bigger problem they had was that it took like 2-3 months to complete repairs.

Basically any car up in the $50k range is going to be expensive to repair, definitely not unique to Tesla. Just ask my neighbor how much it costs to service his Mercedes (because drat!).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Speaking of EVs being in places where they shouldn't, I just had to take my Model 3 to a gas station to fill up the lawnmower can. I thought I was done with this poo poo.

Tesla should make some electric yard tools or just batteries for someone else's tools, make it so you can charge their batteries normally off a 120v outlet or "supercharge" them with a wall connector / mobile adapter from a car through a 240v outlet to get a 5 minute recharge when you need it. Use batteries that are tuned for higher charge/discharge rates and lifespan in exchange for lower capacity.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I know, I just want to supercharge lawn tools because it would be silly and would piss off the neighbors with their ordinary battery powered snowblower and lawnmower that take several hours to recharge.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Stultus Maximus posted:

I need to install a level 2 charger in my garage because this 110v poo poo is too slow.

When I had my garage built, I asked them to run 12-3 to it in case I wanted a 220v circuit in the future, so I do have that. I need to know how to wire it so I still have 110v going to my lights and regular outlets but 220v going to the charger. Are there any guides you all recommend? I've done plenty of my own home electrical work so I understand wiring but this particular thing is new to me.

This is what the box looks like (that's a switch that the hots are going to):

12-3 isn't really good enough to feed anything past the bare minimum level 2 charging even by itself, forget including regular outlets and lights. Just for the record I wired up my HPWC with its own dedicated 6-2 run to a 60A breaker in the main panel. Also note that most EV chargers do not require a neutral (the HWPC doesn't even have a terminal post for one).

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Stultus Maximus posted:

The Volt will draw a maximum of 16 amps but I suspect this is going to end with me pulling the 12/3, running 10/3, and installing a subpanel...

Future proof it for real this time and go way bigger if you are putting in a sub panel. (Also consider aluminum wire if it is a long run, it can save a fair amount over copper and can still handle the load fine.)

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

MrLogan posted:

In case anyone at home is still following along, Tesla is still working on permitting for my solar panels.

It's been over 11 weeks since I initially ordered at this point. Their estimate of 1-5 weeks for permitting seems a bit off.
Some of this delay might be covid related, but still this is ridiculous. I presume that is even with you still calling and nagging them frequently?

For the record, I just got my registration packet for my model 3 on Friday, almost two months since delivery day. About a week after I got the car I sent in the registration form for my state that I filled out online, the state said processing times are 1-2 weeks at most, over a month later I still hadn't heard anything so I got online and started nagging and they said they needed the certificate of origin. So then I started nagging my sales advisor who looked in to it for me and found out it was still "pending", it took Tesla another 3 weeks to finally overnight the registration packet to me. Like literally everything takes a month to get done anymore, I really hate this year and it still has three months left in it!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Charles posted:

Yeah. EV selection is limited to 2wd in smaller vehicles except Tesla.

edit: I REALLY DO WISH the Model 3 had a HUD. I test drove a Mazda 3 that one and it was really cool.

A couple outfits make an add-on HUD for the model 3/Y, they are relatively easy to install by yourself even. I thought about one for my 3, but quickly got accustomed to the stock display and now don't see a need for it.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Raises hand as a Tesla owner with no QC issues.

FilthyImp posted:

Right, but remember all those 737Max accidents? If you opened the news tab on your phone and every few weeks you read [Plane] defect wings fell off before takeoff, or Plane delivered without seat belts attached you might eventually think something is up.
At the time (late 2019): 2 out of 387 delivered 737 Max aircraft had crashed killing everyone on board.
At the same time there were about 900,000 Tesla vehicles already on the road.

If Tesla vehicles had the same catastrophic failure rate (0.51%), about 4650 of them would have crashed and killed everyone riding in them. Which certainly would have made the news don't you think?

There are now well over a million of these vehicles on the road, the amount of QC issues posted online barely registers as background noise anymore out of the sheer volume of delivered vehicles out there. Getting a major QC issue like the glass roof on the model Y that wasn't glued down is practically like winning the lottery it is so rare and that is precisely why it makes the news.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nitrousoxide posted:

Especially with how cold Chicago can get I would think that getting the model with the heat pump would be a major boon for you. You're probably looking at the difference of halving your range in the if you don't have a heat pump, whereas if you do it's just like running the air conditioner in the summer.

Yeah, I wish there was a way to retrofit a heat pump into existing vehicles but I understand it will never happen because it would require basically swapping out the entire thermal management system (it isn't just hvac, it also manages the motors and battery too). Went for a drive yesterday at around ~50F outside with climate on auto and it averaged over 315 Wh/mile (though it was also windy and some rain). Those resistive heaters are nice in how quickly they get the cabin warmed up, but the power draw is brutal.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Yuns posted:

The acceleration of the Model 3 is excellent but it (LR AWD) is definitely not a sports sedan. I've stated it before but I find that it doesn't give great feedback and the you can definitely feel the heft in the corners regardless of the power and the low center of gravity. Both my M3 and Evo were much more tossable in the corners. In a way the Model 3 reminds me more of a muscle car or a grand tourer than a sportscar or sports sedan.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Teslas are unashamed to be straight out EV muscle cars. Except this time those muscle cars are soooooo loving fast that the lunatic in a old underpowered shitbox that's hiding topline suspension and enormous brakes cant catch them around corners because the Tesla is just far to far in front.

Yeah I agree with this sentiment in general. You can't really call BEVs "sports cars" because they are pretty much universally too heavy to really bite into corners. But for the idea of a classic American muscle car they definitely fit the bill. Its what I call my Model 3 Stealth Performance "the most absurd muscle car you've ever been in". It will probably be decades before battery energy density gets high enough that there will be true BEV sports cars light enough to justify the title.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Something I wonder about that Hummer EV, it would be interesting to see if someone could build one with similar acceleration figures but using a conventional combustion engine. 1000 HP combustion engines aren't common, but it isn't like there are none out there. How different would such a vehicle be, how much would it weigh, would it still fit inside a similar sized frame? Is this something that is only practical as an EV, or could they have made one using a conventional engine that ran on conventional fuel?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So while listening to the radio at work, I've been hearing political ads about how Biden is going to end millions of jobs in the fossil fuel industry, raise Wisconsin energy prices for families by $40,000/year and other doomsday scenarios. But aside from wondering how the gently caress they even came up with that math, I'm kind of enjoying being able to be totally indifferent to the whole thing because I daily drive an EV and the nearest power plant is nuclear. Like wow, I couldn't care less about gas and coal prices, which is actually a pretty great feeling!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

borkencode posted:

So in the last thread I rolled my eyes at this whole thing:

But I'd like to apologize, because it's only been two weeks since I ordered and I'm starting to understand the sentiment.
Have you :f5:ed your Tesla account 500 times already?

My experience:

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 1, 2020

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

heated game moment posted:

Was supposed to pick up my new Model S Performance this weekend but it was delayed bc they forgot to ship the car. Had to call them several times to sort out issues during the ordering process as well. They don’t seem to be terribly well organized but I’m hoping the car is at least ready and in good condition this Wednesday.
I can't imagine what kind of ongoing dumpster fire their logistics systems must be to cause these kinds of incidents. In my case they did ship a car to the center on my original delivery date, it was just painted the wrong color...

I did eventually get the color and trim I ordered and the vehicle itself has been excellent so all is well that ends well. But the logistics/delivery process definitely has problems that need to be addressed, they sent me a survey a couple weeks after delivery and I let them have it when I filled it out (usually I skip customer satisfaction surveys). If they send one to you, don't hesitate to give them bad marks on it.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Westy543 posted:

Oh poo poo congrats!!! Post pics once you have it!

Edit: I just looked up Joe Biden's plans for the EV tax credit cause someone mentioned it on the EV subreddit discord...
  • Remove the per-manufacturer cap.
  • Tax credit is uncapped for domestic-built electric vehicles.
  • Capping it at 250k/yr income. Make more, no credit.

That would be really nice, any chance it could be made retroactive for 2020?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
If I just go out when its below freezing outside, hop in my cold soaked 2020 Model 3 with climate on auto and run to the grocery store that is only about a mile away in city traffic...the Wh/Mile is devastating (>500 easily).

I wonder what it will be when its really cold out and I hop in to make the same trip with the defroster blasting on high. First thing that runs through my head is the Vegeta "over 9000" meme.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So over the weekend I got a raspberry pi 4 B and installed TeslaMate on it... wow these cars dump a lot of telemetry (and I'm guessing Tesla gets even more)!

Highly recommend it (or if you aren't up to something as involved, there are commercial apps that do it all for you but they do require your tesla login to work).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Does anyone else find it strange that our EVs have onboard AC chargers? I know it probably sounds dumb but hear me out.

It's not a matter of if but when most new cars will be electric. The high powered onboard chargers in EVs aren't cheap, especially 11kW+ ones. And you can bet the EV manufacturers will be looking at them when considering the bottom line. If we buy AC/DC chargers for our homes, they'll be more expensive, sure, but I bet the lower EV prices will offset that.

We don't have AC chargers in our phones and laptops. And I bet our EVs in 15+ years won't either.

Phones and laptops charging circuits are very much built in (although for the most part they are simpler DC-DC devices), the AC-DC conversion is done by the power brick/wall adapter. EVs could do the same thing, but I presume they don't because then you lose the ability to plug in to almost any AC outlet with a simple adapter plug that tells you the proper current limits. Also it is probably there to help accelerate adoption, EVSEs are inexpensive and easy to install because there is almost nothing to them, the heavy lifting is done by the vehicle itself so we can get more destination chargers installed.