Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Now that I have the EV, I'm looking at installing the 6-50/14-50 outlet or going with a Tesla charger. I hadn't realized it but I can take a Federal tax deduction of 30% the cost of electric charging installation up to $1000 on Form 8911 in addition to a NJ rebate of $500. If I can get a Tesla wall charger ($500) installed for $500 for a total of $1000 then I'll get $800 which will make my net cost $200. For $1500 that would be a net cost of $550. (Let's set aside the tax effect of the rebate itself for now.)

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jul 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I took a look to see what it would cost and how much work would need to be done to install a full on DC fast charger (even a small commercial style set up) in a private home and it's pretty daunting. But it did convince me that in the future if I get a house built I'll want it to be able to easily support future charging needs.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 15, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Charles posted:

Can you get residential service higher than 200amp? What did you find out?
Have to talk to my pops since he is a power engineer ( as well as being up on residential codes) but it looks like they do 400 amp in some cases for very large homes. Residential service is split phase 120V/240V and the Delta EV box is 480V 3 phase. Bosch makes a 25kW charger that is 208Vac - 277Vac single phase power input and 165A. Looks like without commercial power, it isn't realistically doable. And it would be easily in the $20k range to do even if possible. I know so little about this stuff I'll have to talk to my father since he's an SME on all matters of power t&d.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

angryrobots posted:

I think Yuns means $20k just for the in-home electrical and charger. Would not include utility costs which very much depend on your individual situation, and not to mention whether your local planning/zoning will permit it.

But I'm not gonna say it's impossible, especially when you get into large luxury homes that may actually get 120/208v 3-phase. It's unlikely to be feasible for most situations outside of that. Also, requiring that big of a service may bump your kwh rate into some kind of large commercial rate and those are usually really uneconomical for large occasional switched loads.
Yes I literally meant just the charger itself and installation. Not the ancillary costs of all the extra work that would be required to make your house able to deal with those electrical needs.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I'm sure grover built my current homes electrical system. I have 325 amps of breakers in a 200 amp system which should be fine but I'm triggering the breakers all the time.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I sent an e-mail to my father who by way of background was an electric power transmission and distribution expert his entire career mostly focusing on power transformer design. So Imma wait for his email reply to come back in a few days calling me a dummy for thinking I can install DC fast charging at home.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

RZA Encryption posted:

Not sure about other brands, but some of the reading I've done suggests Teslas keep track of how many kwhs they've charged via DC and drops your peak charge rate at a certain point to protect battery health. They don't distinguish between 10kwh at 25kw and 10kwh at 200kw either, so having a DCFC at home is probably less desirable for that reason alone.
Tesla commented on one owner that exclusively used DC fast charging and confirmed that his car charging permanently throttled to protect the battery.

As for why I'm even pondering the possibility of home fast charging. In part, I just want to know what's possible, but also it would provide so much flexibilty in my use especially since the supercharger situation in my area is less than ideal. I recognize that it's not likely for residential but I could imagine a scenario where I could go in with a friend to get a private set up built on their commercial property/shop.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 15, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Also Elviscat, could a 400A split phase home circuit deal with the Bosch charging station (208Vac-277Vac single phase power input) if you could somehow get a breaker and wiring that could deal with the 165A? EDIT: a little research seems to show that the answer is no but wanted to confirm.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 15, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Thanks for answering all our naive questions!

Elviscat posted:

Absolutely! You'd do an install very similar to a house with an electric furnace, one 200A meter and panel for house services, another for the big load, the charger in this case, expensive, but it shouldn't be technically difficult, I've done a couple 400A residential services, one for my parents for the electric furnace, one for a literal loving mansion. Do you have a link to that big boy Bosch charger? I'd love to look at the specs.
Here is the Bosch:

https://www.boschevsolutions.com/charging-stations/ev2000-series?sku=EL-52240

You can literally order it off Amazon.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Nissan Ariya - CUV EV
4 models
2WD and AWD
2 batteries 63 kwh and 87 kwh
no data on range yet
375 km recharged in 30 min
water cooled
Alexa integrated for voice control
0-100 kph in 5.1 seconds
allegedly sportcar like handling
AWD is called Eforce? and is based on GTR ATESSA and Patrol offroad
Propilot 2.0 from Skyline series

Floating center console that you can slide back and forth is kinda cool
OTA software updates

edit: ok maybe I missed it but there was no range data for the 4 models and it's not clear that 5.1 seconds refers to which model.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 15, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Just noticed Alexa said 31% battery is 160 km so that suggests 100% is 516 km or 320.6 miles.

Also he says the intelligent key opens the car automatically but I think they just mean that it unlocks automatically when you stand next to the door not literally opens.

Just noticed it has the wide monitor in front but also a color HUD.

Nothing earth shattering but I think it'll be a very solid entry into the EV space and if they can get the price less than the e-tron or i-Pace or X and closer to the Y or Mach E price range, I think it'll be a serious player.

I was initially put off by the front fascia but in all I like the exterior design as far as CUVs go and I love the copper color.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 15, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Ok all the news sources say prices will start around 40k presumably for 2WD 63 kwh. I think that pricing makes it a serious contender. With the 7500 federal tax credit available and for example the 5000 NJ rebate and tax exemption that could mean driving away in one for $27,500 plus all fees. That would be an incredible deal for a modern EV CUV.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 15, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Elviscat posted:

That's a hell of a deal if it retails near 35 (base) Nissan's been pretty solid EV tech wise, besides the noted dumb issues with their batteries, which this seems to fix.

GTR/Patrol based AWD is interesting since it implies a single motor and t-case instead of multi-motor, but that tracks with the more conventional Leaf layout.
It's definitely independent dual motors for the AWD version so I'm not sure what they took of ATESSA.

Also Nissan please make a ridiculous Nismo version with a sub-4 second 0-60 like the Tesla Performance model TIA.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Don't slander the best thing about the Nissan. Ok it's metallic beige but still in a world of black, white and silver, copper is an awesome color. Remember the original copper Hayabusa.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Ola posted:

4WD and 90 kWh at sub Model 3 prices = hotcakes in Norway at least, late 2021 notwithstanding.
The pricing is what I think will eventually make the Nissan a winner. In my state in the U.S.(NJ) that would mean $27,500 (255,334 Kroner) for FWD and smaller battery after government incentives with no sales tax. Imagine that little for an advanced driving aid having EV car with HUD etc. It's almost a no brainer price wise.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Are any other people in this thread parents of kids old enough to be heavily involved in extracurriculars including travel sports? If so how do you deal with recharging and planning? As a parent of kids who compete year round in sports (ski racing, swimming, lacrosse, etc.) as well as participate in other extracurriculars like state orchestra etc., pre-COVID I was on the road pretty much constantly on weekends. This includes both long out of state trips to compete as well as just being on the road chauffering them locally from lesson to lesson. Even without long trips, 8 hours on the road in a day including sitting at Starbucks waiting for them is not abnormal.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I'm a total micromanager when driving even when taking really long trips so have only used the driver assist functions in the Tesla so far to try them out. I like being able to anticipate the actions of the drivers around me which even FSD can't quite do yet. I'm not likely to use AP often if at all. I do really like the visualization which doesn't replace checking the blind spot but serves as an additional safety measure.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

This is a really Tesla specific question but my 3 was delivered with version 2020.20.17 software. I know the latest updates are 2020.24.6.x and 2020.28.x I have my car connected to my home wireless network and updates set to advanced but do you know how long it typically takes to get an update. My understanding is that most people have received 2020.24.6.x already.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

OldSenileGuy posted:

One pedal driving was awesome though.
I'm not a fan of one pedal driving at all and neither is my spouse. I ended up setting regen to low today and will just set it to high for long trips.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How exactly does braking work on a Model 3? On my Volt, putting the gear in L makes it closer to one pedal driving, and I hated it. I instead kept it in D for better coasting and used the regen paddle to slow. The regular brakes seemed like they used pads more than regen, even a year and a half and I haven't mastered it fully.

I guess what I'm asking is can I coast in a 3 and have a way to always regen while slowing under braking unless I'm pushing hard because I really need to stop?
My 3 doesn't feel like it's coasting. If I take my foot off the accelerator with the normal level of regeneration, it feels like I'm braking with moderate to light pressure. The 3 immediately starts slowing. This is great if you only want to one pedal drive but I'd like to be able to really module braking with the brake pedal. I feel like I can't feather the braking as well.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 18, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Charles posted:

I'm wondering if people who drive stick are more likely to use 1 pedal or heavy regen.
I drive and prefer stick in my conventional cars though currently my only manuals are all motorcycles and as I said my preference is for less regen. After driving today with low regen I have to say I prefer it more. I'm fine with Hold as the stop mode although we have it set to Creep at my spouse's request since my spouse switches back and forth from our vehicles and wants them to all behave the same way.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 19, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

RZA Encryption posted:

Completely valid, but that's what driver profiles are for! You can set different profiles to be loaded depending on which key fob/card is used to get in the car.

It would be really jarring if you mixed them up though. Maybe put a sticker on it or something.
Thanks. We're already set up individual profile and linked them to our respective keycards and phones. I'll make sure the driving modes are set for each of us individually within the profiles. So far I've been happy with the choice of the 3 (LR AWD) but long winter trips will be the real test for me. Can't wait to stick a set of Blizzaks on it and set out in the snow. Drifting my Evo X on closed unplowed roads was always a huge amount of fun after a big snowstorm.

edit: The other thing I have planned is folding the rear seats on one side in lieu of a ski pass through to carry skis and snowboards. I hate using roof racks because the gear always ends up sand and snow blasted unless you use a cargo box which would really cut down on aero and range.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 19, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Out of curiosity, has anyone been able to Scandi flick their non-performance AWD Model 3? (obviously I'm asking about on tracks or closed roads not asking about public hooliganism). Aside from dyno mode, is it possible to controlled oversteer a nonperformance (i.e. no track mode) 3?

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 20, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Ola posted:

That depends on the steepness of the hill, the engine, the turns and the speed limit. Diesels struggle with engine braking for instance, or you might be descending into serpentine turns. Every EV I've driven has been better and safer than any ICE car I've driven in long downhills, vastly so in twisty ones. With the exception of a fully charged one of course.
Sorry I have to beg to differ slightly here. My Model 3 is about 800 pounds heavier than the physically larger Lexus sedan it replaced because of the battery system and AWD. I've now had both down roads in my local hills and regardless of braking system performance the weight makes the older car much easier to sling around and slow down technical downhills.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I went back to an article about the development of Track Mode V2 because I trust Randy Pobst's opinion on driving dynamics and he helped fix the Model 3. What's interesting is that Track mode originally increased regen across the board because they felt the transition to slowing was faster with strong regen. They've kept some of this for high speeds but for lower speeds Randy had them dial back regen to closer match a conventional car so that he could trail brake into corners easier. I think it's that ability to more finely feather braking control that I prefer which is why I use low regen.

quote:

I brought along a little model of a Tesla and handed it to an engineer, asking him to act out what exactly is going on as Track mode traverses a typical corner. Immediately, there's something to explain. Track mode noticeably amplifies lift-accelerator regen, which eases the thermal load on the brakes. But it also shrinks the transition from acceleration to braking into a blink: just lift your right foot. Couldn't be quicker. . . .

Randy, from his perch on that barstool, explains the same thing but in its full-scale, tire-screeching, g-tugging, adrenaline-addled reality: "That prototype version of Track mode a few weeks ago was … inconsistent. I had this distinct impression of approaching a corner flat-out and thinking, 'I wonder what's going to happen?' But this one (with the updated software) is far, far better."

The engineer explains that to provide more driver confidence, the software does not tiptoe quite so close to the edge. As part of his consulting work, Randy notes: "One thing we did was reduce the regenerative braking at lower speed. There's naturally less of it at higher speeds because the battery can't absorb that rate of power. But the last time we were out here, the car kept slowing down a lot when I'd lift off the accelerator; they showed me the data, and it's about 0.3 g of deceleration. The trouble is that I'm a trail-braker, and it's adding that strong brake force while I'm turning. Now it's less, more like a normal car's engine braking. This is a huge step forward.

"At first there was too much front regen, which made it pushy on the entry phase, so they shifted it to the back," he continues. "There's a tremendous amount of torque here [450 hp and 471 lb-ft of torque], so the car can be slid around a little bit—but actually not that much because the front motor comes back in and balances everything out. At the apex, it has a little bit of initial power oversteer from the rear motor, then it fixes itself and wants to power understeer. We made some progress on refining all that. I tried the car on the Pilot Sport Cup 2s and Brembo pads, and it was really hooked up."

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesla/model-3/2019/tesla-model-3-performance-track-mode-release-version-review/

Let me be clear that I don't think there is a wrong way to drive an EV and I have no issue with high regen being used by the vast majority of people. But I prefer low regen and think there is a clear purpose for it not just being a luddite.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jul 21, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Finger Prince posted:

I love that we're having this argument in 2020 because Tesla when my 2007 Prius does the exact same thing completely seamlessly and transparently the driver. I wish it had less "flywheel effect" and slowed more rapidly on lifting, but the regen capacity is obviously a lot less with a little NiMH battery and motor generator.
I don't see it as much of an argument. Instead it's more of a discussion of preference as to braking behavior and the implementation of regen.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

McTinkerson posted:

So uh, Ford should really sell this to the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3846KFDmFQ
I don't think the public is ready for 1400 hp and 7 motors (3 in front and 4 in back) :eyepop:. But I'm sure Ford Performance will eventually have a Mach E above the GT using some of that performance programming.

EDIT: It has a hydraulic handbrake system that disconnects power to the rear wheels to set up drifting.

Let's see 1400 hp with a 56.8 kWh battery means that at full 1400 hp power draw you should have 3 minutes and 16 seconds.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 21, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Remember that a toddler is not using the car the way an adult would by sitting on the seat. They are almost certainly standing on floorboards/pedals with their hands on the steering wheel to hold themselves up. Even the plaintiffs concede that the kid was on the pedals in front of the driver's seat.

This unexpected use is also why a toddler can have an accident with a pistol even though their hands aren't big enough to hold it in the proper manner or strong enough to pull the trigger in a normal way. They hold it in an unexpected way by levering their weight through their hands against the trigger with the muzzle pointed up at them.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 21, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I taught my 12 year olds to drive already so if I get run over by one of them, you'll know it was 100% deliberate.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jul 21, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

stevewm posted:

I have no doubt that will be fixed soon now. A couple states with dealer racket "protection" laws have carved out exemptions that specifically exclude Tesla from being affected by them.
Tesla building in Texas and bringing jobs there will give them the political power to shutdown the old boy dealer network's resistance so I'm sure Texas will accommodate sales as soon as they can.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I think the Ford Mach E and the Nissan Ariya might do quite well in the U.S. and pave the way for more EV competition. They seem to be priced right to move with decent range and performance numbers. Jag and Audi were sort of hamstrung by pricing.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I don't agree, the gas-equivalent models are priced fairly close.

I agree that they are close to the Q7/8 series but I mean vis a vis the 3 and Y (not so much the X which is closer in price)

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

They got Ken Block in that 1400 hp 7 motor nothing to do with the production Mach E Mach E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7jBLqSlzg

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

The fact that Audi was clearing out 2019 e-trons last month by leasing new unsold models with an MSRP of $75,795 for a capitalized cost of $55,121 indicates to me that they didn't sell well. Not sure if it was dealer neglect or low demand as the cause.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Well my Mustang has been declared totaled so I'm looking around and forgot that the Mach-e is coming out soon. How big of a deal is it if I don't have a garage? My gut tells me that exposing lithium-ion batteries to hot summers and frigid winters is probably a bad idea
I think the issue with not having a garage is less exposure to the elements than it is not having a place to charge at home.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

PIZZA.BAT posted:

My dryer in the basement is right along the wall where my parking pad is outside. So setting up a 240V charging station probably wouldn't be too much of a hassle. I'm way waaay more concerned about it being exposed to the elements. However googling around all I can find is articles talking about the charging aspect of it so maybe my fears are misplaced
Rich Rebuilds has a humorous video of the issues he had keeping a Tesla Model X ungaraged in winter but it had far less to do with EVs in general than the Model X in particular.

Here he covers winter without a garage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecmwWZmaU0A&t=315s

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Ford dealers are absolutely terrible when it comes to low allocation/high demand models. Most are asking above MSRP for Mach E's and many aren't honoring the various friends and family/vendor Plan pricing. They were the same way when I tried to buy a Lightning back in the day, when I was looking at a first year Thunderbird (glad I didn't buy that one) and when I was looking at a Raptor. The Mach E is the same way so expect to wait unless you're willing to pay above MSRP.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

As a rider, I'm not super enamored of EV motorcycles. The problem is that most motorcycles already have insane power to weight and the acceleration problems mostly have to do with keeping the front end down. An EVs torque benefit therefore isn't that great and the added weight of the battery and motors can make it less nimble and therefore overall slower in corners. So as I posted in cycle asylum, the more I think about it; the more I think that motorcycle EVs make the most sense from a cruiser/tourer perspective more than from a sportbike perspective. The heavy weight of cruisers/tourers wouldn't necessarily increase (and could decrease) with the right battery and motor choice and the extra torque would be great for moving along a big cruiser or Goldwing. Maybe cruisers wouldn't work given that even getting the cruiser guys to accept liquid cooling was challenging. But an EV Goldwing could be well received depending on range and refueling. I hope the Harley Davidson Livewire succeeds but at $29,799 it's a tough sell. it really needed to be cheaper than HD's top of range motorcycles.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I still think an EV Goldwing or BMW K1600 would be a good path forward for EV motorcycles and not trying to take on the supersports. They are already packed with tech and GPS systems. The extra torque of an EV would be great for such big bikes and the weight consequences of the battery would be far less than for an ultralight sportbike. I would still like to better understand the range/refueling implications and so you'd look at lower range EVs to compare. Needing fast charging every 322 miles max in my Tesla is different than needing it every 100 miles. 100 miles isn't too different than my existing gas motorcycle ranges but I can find a gas station anywhere in America whereas finding a fast charger everywhere is going to be more challenging depending on where you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There's a kid riding a Livewire to Sturgis now so I'm going to follow his journey via his youtube/social media and see how that goes. I hadn't thought about it but apparently you can also recharge at HD dealerships (though I'm not sure he's doing that) which is awesome. If motorcycle dealerships create charging stops for motorcycles that would go a long way to making motorcycle EVs more practical.

https://bluelane.io/9LyzrD

Yuns fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 2, 2020