Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

AlexanderCA posted:

Am I the only person on this planet who loves the cyber truck's styling?

Nope, I think a lot of people love it. I didn't love it at first but it grew on me quickly and I want one (though I'll never buy one because $40+k for a truck I don't need is way over my budget) but I'll definitely gawk at any one I see in the near future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

PirateDentist posted:

This is where I’m at. I’m considering a PHEV but they only stock them in CARB states worth a drat. There’s no Ioniqs and three Prius Primes in all of Arizona, all base trim.

You could go CARMAX route and have it shipped to your closest one. Adds some cost but I did it for my last car and had a good experience

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I literally gasped. It's beautiful. Please Honda, please

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

As a Rivian employee, they opened up an early adopters program for us. I was lucky enough to be selected! I get an R1T launch edition and a $1,000/month (pre-tax) stipend for two years in exchange for providing feedback and diagnostics on the truck!

You get the R1T for free AND they pay you 24 grand? Now that's an impressive employee benefits package!

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Humerus posted:

Lotus is still making theirs, right?

Yeah but it's like, 2 million dollars

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Why can't they just make that a single cab pickup???

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I havent found a better source that says this other than ARS(e)-T so make of this what you will and to be honest this feels like trolling to post?

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/06/volkswagen-plans-to-offer-subscriptions-for-autonomous-driving-extra-ev-range/?comments=1

Buuuuut...... paying 8 bucks an hour for "autonomous" driving in VW's EV's? Yikes

The $8 an hour pays the wage of a person to drive it remotely from a third world country, I assume

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

raggedphoto posted:

Do you have a build thread somewhere? Would love to check that out!

I'd like to second this

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Most of the ICE vehicles I have driven had 15-18 gallon tanks. Plenty of heavy duty pickup trucks you see hauling groceries around have something in the range of 30 gallon tanks. Frequently ICE vehicles are carrying around in excess of 1 mWh worth of stored energy.

Whoosh

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I thought they were modified Elises.

They are

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Pretty over the preproduction BS. Like the Alpha Wolf prototype that was posted yesterday, all it does is get my hopes up even though I KNOW it's vapoware. Granted the Rivian is clearly a real vehicle and will eventually get out there, i don't want to hear about any of these vehicles until a factory is making them

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I'm going to be sick. RIVN stock price is way higher than I ever expected it to be at this point. :stare:

Hopefully it's enough that you can retire if you'd like!

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Charles posted:

The tape looks green, not blue.

Yanny/Laurel?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I regret to inform you all I will not be getting my R1T on Friday. :smith:

I will be getting it tomorrow!

How many are coming off the line/day now?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Nobody in here taking about the Toyota EV’s they announced? Shameful.

Lol they have a like 1 year backlog on Rav4 Primes, I'd consider them all vaporware until you can order and get one in a timely manner

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Rivian will also accept trade-ins. :buddy:

How far out is production if you reserve one today? lol

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why would they increase the price on something that totally still sucks? Seems like the opposite of how these things usually go.

To get people to FOMO in so they can report more sales next quarter

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Buying a new car to get door dinged dozens of times in college parking lots sounds like a great idea

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I really wish Honda would bring the e to the US. That's such a fun-looking little car.

I am not a "buy a new car" person but if the Honda E came to the US i'd buy it in a heartbeat

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

eeenmachine posted:

I took the Roadster out of storage mode and got it road ready expecting at least a dead 12v batt but it was happy as a clam after some air in the tires, huzzah!

Roadster pics?!

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I am so very very jealous.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

My guess would be the people who decide are multi millionaires and think "$15k isn't that much, I doubt people will care that much"

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Also just LOL at the fact that someone brought up earlier that a lot of the first trucks at their retail cost were delivered to employees

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Can someone who is smarter than me explain what you hardwire to? Is it something like directly hardwiring to a Grizzl-E or what? I feel lost on this. I don't have an EV yet but am exploring my options and we do have a 200A panel with space for a 50 amp breaker

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Look at this beaut, and 60 miles range too!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255463225223

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Bonus points if you KNOW why there was a freewheel in the Sonnet.
Please enlighten me, all I know is when restored ones are posted they say they locked up the freewheeling so you don't bump into people in traffic or something

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I have $10,000 a month deducted from my paychecks for Federal taxes.

Weird flex, but ok

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

cruft posted:

Subaru's got the Solterra that's probably AWD. I have a vague recollection of being underwelmed by it. It's got a base price of $45k. Model 3 AWD is $12k more, as a comparison.

Cars are too drat expensive. All of 'em.

And if Solterra is like the bZ4X it'll take an hour to "fast charge" to 80% lmao

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Venting here since I don't visit any other AI threads.

Trying to hunt down a Maverick for a new company vehicle pretty much anywhere on the east coast, and the only dealers that have any in stock are the ones with $10K MVA's on them. Just infuriating. I'd pay $2500 over MSRP but 10K is straight up price gouging and should be illegal.

My buddy ordered a hybrid Mav day 1 and had to wait almost a year to get it built so i'm not surprised they're asking so much for ones on the lot that are available right now

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Aren't we probating people who didn't post new car pics? I need new car pics

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yes. Did someone not post their new car?

Frazzbo posted:

Woohoo, I finally get to submit my membership application for the EV owners' club! :toot: Collected an Open Corsa-e Ultimate the other day, drove it almost 600km back from the dealership and got the full experience of navigating by ABRP to suitable charging stations. Loving it so far!

I see no pics!

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

Bros I reserved my mach-e in 2019 and then they sold me a turd with the highway passing power of a Honda Accord

Wow congrats!

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Going to have a vacation in Las Vegas as well as travel to Zion National Park soon. Was thinking of renting a Model 3 LR from Hertz as a vehicle since I haven't driven an EV before. Anyone have any opinions on if that's a good idea? Seems there are enough superchargers around the area to be fine

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Appreciate all the info. We are renting an AirBnB 20 minutes from Zion that has L2 charging. Also appreciate the Bryce heads up, it wasn't even on our radar. Probably going to be a Goon in a Well and still rent it, the hertz site claims 300+ miles on the M3LR with the idea that if we hop in it and it's showing was less distance when full we'll go back and tell them to rent us an ICE car so we have better range

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

cruft posted:

How do you rotate your tires if they're different widths?

... You do rotate your tires, right? :ohdear:

I have staggered wheels and just have them rotated on the axle

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Three Olives posted:

It's not the money, it's the project.

We live in a house built in the 40s that we plan on staying in for about the next 15 years, while the wiring has been brought up to date, we want to put in a induction range, look at putting in a backup power system, some other random overhauls and doing it right, the house next door to us is for sale and we would like to discuss the possibilities with the new neighbors of putting in new garages with ADUs.

A lot is up in the air right now and I don't want to tape on a L2 system when L1 works fine and we could, very possibly, be looking at an extensive project within the next year that could change everything.

Aren't you the person with a safe full of gold

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

"Homeless person likes my car" sure is a weird thing to be so excited about to tell a bunch of strangers on a dead gay internet forum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

fresh_cheese posted:

My ideal EV would be basically something MR2 or Lotus Elise sized with ~175 mi of range and a FM radio with an aux plug, and smart enough battery management that i could expect to use it 10 years.

Just quoting this to agree and say there are at least two of us that want this