Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

MrYenko posted:

So after owning a C6 Z06 and now a Model 3, the first thing I do before I buy a car is look at the factory jacking diagram, and only allow shops to jack or lift it either in my presence, or after showing them how. I actually carry a jack pad adaptor kit with my 3, and did the same thing with the Corvette as well.

More and more cars have pretty specific (and easy to miss) jack points that in some cases are the only way to safely lift the car. With BEVs becoming more common, I’d imagine shops are going to become more familiar, but I’d really rather not be part of their learning curve. That battery pack looks real inviting to put a lift pad on, and I imagine that it’s a real-bad-idea.

hell, a shop damaged my E36 like that, and this was in like 2014, hardly an uncommon or new car for the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

I just test drove a Model Y Performance... I had it in chill mode for half the trip and it was pretty cool, put it into standard for the way back and holy crap. Even at 100km/hr stepping on the pedal and it still accelerates and it's silent.

The one pedal driving was a bit hard to get used to though, I liked it but I would need a little more time for it to feel natural. This was my first EV drive and I did it on a whim, maybe I'll get one in 2022.

The 3 drives circles around the Y. It’s crazy with how much overlap there is between the two models, but that extra mass/height/etc makes all the difference. The bigger car drives like a (very fast) blimp by comparison.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

Just out of curiosity, how does Tesla handle test drives? I haven’t done a ton of test drives (of ICE cars) in my life, but the few I have done have been all over the place. Some places insist that the guy goes with me and we just drive around the block, other places just toss me the keys and tell me to be back in a couple hours.

I’m not in a place to actually buy anything until probably spring 2022 at the earliest, but I would like to give the Y a spin and see if it gets the wife approval or not.

when my parents got theirs in 2020, the dealer (I’m not calling it a “Tesla Store” or whatever they want) just handed them a car for the afternoon and told them to have fun and bring it back by 5, but admittedly that was 2020 so maybe policy is different now

I’ll say it again, if you’re giving the Y a look definitely give the 3 a spin. Personally I don’t think the gains in comfort/space make up for the loss in driving dynamics or additional cost, and also the Y just looks like a 3 with a glandular disorder to me. Every time I see one I think it looks off, or like somebody tried to badly make a 3 bootleg.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

I think they both look like a catfish from the front. The mouth is where all the bugs collect on the freeway, even.

I didn’t notice a particularly huge driving difference between the long-range models of the 3/Y, but I also only had the 3 for about 20 minutes and was new to both of them, so maybe I just drove it too conservatively. I’m sure there’s a bigger delta for the performance versions, too.

If you can take them both spiritedly on some curves back-to-back, I find the Y to be noticeably tippier, and not in a good “actually it’s feedback+deliberately designed to be more exciting” way

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

Yeah, not much of that within 10ish minutes of the mall where the Tesla “store” here is, unfortunately. It’s so much more solid than every other crossover/compact SUV I’ve had before, so my comparison might be off too, compared to a previous sedan buyer.

I hoon every car I drive 🤷🏻‍♂️

The Y is definitely much "sportier" than most SUVs. but also I think the X and Y are more vanlike than SUV-like, and I don't at all mean that in a bad way. vans rule and America's love for crossovers over them is trash

it's just that the 3 is 80% the same car but lower to the ground and lighter and with a smaller greenhouse, so naturally it's gonna be a bit more athletic at speed but not by a ton

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I hope you manual drivers aren’t coasting in neutral all over the place

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

I do all the time in my Ioniq. It's great.

I bet it's more efficient than regenning too.

do you even know what I'm talking about?

bird with big dick posted:

I coast with the clutch in

ok, I'm sure this would be triggering to me, if I were a car

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Charles posted:

Oh yeah, I bet GM will add 350kw fast charging, AWD, and then cancel the car.

GM is never gonna make another Bolt. They’ll make an electric Trax, and maybe a Sonic, and hell maybe even an electric Impala (doubt it, unless it’s a crossover), but I think the era of bespoke GM electric car models is probably over. I could see them transitioning the old “normal” lineup over quickly in lieu of releasing a ton of new models or bringing the Bolt up to date.

Alternatively (and now that I think about it, maybe more likely/realistically) maybe the bulk of GM’s stable will be 100% new lines with a couple of halo legacy models (ie your Hummer, your Silverado, your Escalade, your Tahoe, etc) sticking around. I don’t think anybody has any fondness for any of the extant non-SUV cars and whatnot outside of the Camaro+Vette. But I still think that leaves the Bolt in a weird “experimental era” place where GM retires the nameplate just to “start fresh” with a new car that fills the same role.

Either way I think GM more than any other company right now sees electrification as their big “blank slate” moment to try to win back all the Asian import faithful (especially now that it’s become clear that Honda and Toyota bet against BEVs and are now playing catch-up to the point where Honda’s willing to risk its reputation for ironclad reliability on a major partnership with GM just to be able to get something out in the next 3 years).

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ola posted:

I'm guessing it will be a compact SUV called Pontiac Trans Am or Firebird.

they bring back Saturn, but it’s exclusively fashion off-roaders designed to compete with the Wrangler/Bronco

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jimong5 posted:

The Bolt is solid, fine for most use cases, surprisingly roomy for being so small, and a great blend of price and availability and I'd recommend one. Even if you need to fast charge it 5x a year that's only going to be like an extra half hour each time. Any L2 home charger should be capable of filling up the battery overnight. The main reason I didn't want to get a second one for our household is I want something slightly bigger as a second car with rear HVAC for my kid on long trips.

get a gen 1 Taycan when they start getting traded in

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Westy543 posted:

Gonna drive-by post (heh :c00l:) a cool picture I took of my car earlier:

go post it in D&D

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

Kinda feel like an rear end in a top hat for getting my FCEV now. Sorry everyone :(

yeah but if you had a Tesla you’d be an rear end in a top hat, so don’t feel too bad

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
love the Taycan, gorgeous car

Doug apparently got his mind blown by Plaid speed
https://youtu.be/qen0ZlZM0ZA

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

cruft posted:

A preview of the F150 Lightning ownership experience.

I wonder if they're going to get coal rolled...

There are gonna be SO MANY stoplight drag races between Lightning and ICE F150 owners

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Has anyone here mentioned the 2020 Bolt that caught fire? I'm sorta not feeling great about my purchase now

now you can feel like a real Tesla owner without paying the Tesla price tag

Orvin posted:

Once upon a time I owned a 2003 F150 Lightning. I don’t see anything wrong with calling the new EV F150 a lightning. It’s still a truck, and the name is a little too on the nose to not be used.

I can kinda see where the Mustang fanboys are coming from. I usually refer to my vehicle as a Mach-E, and just drop off the Mustang part. But I do get stopped by lots of surburban people who comment on the looks of the vehicle and say they like it. A couple were even clueless that it was a BEV.

The new Lightning is 100% a “real Lightning” because the whole point of the Lightning has always been to go fast and get randos to ask you about your truck and this is the fastest, most “talk to me about my truck” F150 Ford has made to date.

WRT the Mach-E’s “Mustanginess”, I think RCR said it best:

https://youtu.be/2AfYpClVkQE

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

As long as humans are controlling the cars (which they will be for the foreseeable future) they will find ways to be lovely assholes.

I know I will

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

(I know what you’re going for but the idea that filling up a car is this Herculean terrible task is pretty funny)

why stand uncomfortably outside your car, staring at strangers, pumping your gas, when you can be comfortably inside your car, staring at strangers, pumping your dick?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

eeenmachine posted:

Oooh I just realized you can change the color of the ambient lighting in the Taycan, and even do it via voice control. Didn't realize I specced the Razr option!

The FiST did it first

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Can this guy get banned please

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Does it work with a manual gearbox?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

Why is that worth a probation at all.

lmao

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

Mach-E GT and Kia EV6 GT are the two cars I’m most interested in despite having no need to rocket off the line I just want the option. Or possibly a Tesla with that dlc update or whatever.

I need to test drive all 3 but that won’t be possible for quite a while due to demand I’m sure.

It’s hella easy to test drive Teslas at least, probably do it today or tomorrow if you’ve got the time

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

wolrah posted:

:nws: :nws:

I see a lot of value in the idea of a crate motor that can be more or less bolted in place of a common engine swap because it's the easiest for someone not familiar with EVs to picture if someone manages to get them to consider it. It's certainly not ideal from a lot of other standpoints, but it's a good way to get people in the door thinking about it.

That said, I wonder if the right answer might instead be a battery module designed to fit in place of a common engine, maybe that could even be extended modularly down the transmission/driveshaft tunnel, and the motors instead be integrated in to replacement axles.

MrYenko posted:

A motor module with a Gen3 Chevrolet bolt pattern on the output side and a module battery system. Fitting a monolithic battery is going to be rough in a lot of cars, but if the modules are smaller, you can stuff them all kinds of places.

It’s interesting that Ford beat GM to the punch with this reveal because a bunch of people at GM have been caught talking about a crate motor project over the last two years or so.

Somebody at a show recently said something about the aim being “to do basically what we did with the LS, and replicate all the success we’ve had with that, but electric drive” and that they were very excited to show off what they’d been working on.

And MAGNA introduced EBeam for trucks/solid axle vehicles back in March, but for now their focus seems to be on fleets and business clients rather than individual hobbyists.

Ideally we get to the point soon where a retailer of some sort starts carrying that stuff and making it accessible to regular folks.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/magna-ebeam-axle-ev-truck/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

don't care. if you've ever ridden in a DS you would know.

There are certain cars whose existing ‘mission statements’ are only further reached by switching to electric drive

The DS is a good example. Like if you feel *anything* in that car except for ‘calm delight’ it’s not doing its job. Eliminating a motor that needs to be vibrationally dampened only makes that job easier.

Same thing with like an E Class or Volvo wagon. Make an E Class wagon electric with a ~4.0 sec 0-60 and it’s basically the perfect E Class.

Or anything in the Rolls Royce/Bentley category. That’s a car that only becomes better in every single way with electric drive.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

A friend has a '53 Bentley he bought from a neighbor. We've talked about doing an EV conversion on it.

The car is darn right interesting mechanically. Hydraulic front brakes and cable operate rear for one.

when I was still in college and Top Gear was still relevant I made a whole plan with my buddy to get a nonworking Rolls from like the 80s/90s and turn it into an art car with an electric conversion, and then just drive it around Maine

lol but like good luck getting the air suspension to work without a compressor

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Rivian filed their S1 to go public. Asking for an $80b valuation. :stare:

buy SA from Jeffrey

buy every goon a horse

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
very on-brand for Italy

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

HFCV update: currently sitting fourth in line at the one H2 pump in Sacramento that’s still operating due to an outage.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cockmaster posted:

I've been thinking about renting a Tesla to see what it's like, and it looks like my only real option for the most part is Turo (AirBnB for cars, it seems). Does anyone have any experience with them? Are they reputable?

I hear Turo’s fine.

But also Tesla makes test driving very easy and painless, so have you tried your local dealership?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

checkmate, internet leftists. Turns out Tesla is based after all

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

borkencode posted:

With Ford doing a fairly slow ramp like that, Tesla has a big opportunity if they can quickly scale up produc—- hahahaha almost made it through.

even if Tesla scales, and even if 95% of truck buyers are just buying an image way more than a tool with a purpose, the F150 and Cybertruck are still chasing two very different markets

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kunabomber posted:

$0 because an F150 is a commodity, not a status symbol

I spent the last 6 years driving a Ford focus, I can do it again

Get a FiST while they’re around/not entirely rusted out or crashed, I LOOOOOOOVE mine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

borkencode posted:

I was curious how Ford's ramp compared to the rollout of the Model 3, and looked up how that ramp actually went. The first 30 production deliveries occurred on July 28 2017, according to Bloomberg they hit 15,000 deliveries by April 2018 and were at 50,000 delivered by the anniversary. So all joking aside even if they follow the poor ramp up of the 3 they might handily be beating Ford.

gotta hedge their bets in case Trump wins in 2024 and cancels the whole electric party

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Two Weeks™

Yeah, if we ignore how the cybertruck looks, it should do almost everything the F150 Lightning can do. But most people buying an F150 are buying it because of how it looks instead of what it can do, and a cybertruck is not a look these people want to have.

that said, I am actually legit very excited to see something that looks like the Cybertruck becoming somewhat commonplace on US roads

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mattfl posted:

This thing

is just ridiculous.

I love it.

Tesla has the car buying process that everyone should strive towards, we weren't in the dealership for more than 15 minutes from the time we walked in to the time I was driving it off the lot. Went straight from picking up to the tint place and have a ceramic coat scheduled for tomorrow. Everyone I took for a ride in it just laughs at the stupid acceleration lol

now post a thread about it

in cspam

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Ford also calls it a Mustang.

:colbert:

It’s the most Mustang to ever Mustang

The Mustang has always been the ür-pretender car. This simply pushes it to its logical conclusion

It’s really kind of art, if you think about it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mattfl posted:

Ya I get what you're saying.

I had it ceramic coated yesterday and it looks even better.

Did the body shop have to clean nano ceramic out of the panel gaps? :P looks great

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

It’s great other than it really does run out of steam quick past 70 or so.

Just like the fox bodies! See, it’s a Mustang!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

It’s not an accident, it’s motoring heritage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

MrLogan posted:

Or why don't they just keep some battery in "reserve" like VW does so that 100% is really 90%.

can’t wait for tuners to offer some “full power unlock” hack for these and ruin a bunch of people’s batteries