Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My Nissan Leaf is the best EV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

Someone lend me like 100k so I can buy this whole setup and an aluminum hull 18 foot g3 bass boat to put it in. :allears:

In all seriousness though, I am curious why they are going with the i3 battery pack vs a leaf, tesla, bolt, etc. Is there something about the i3/i8 packs that makes it more ideal for this kind of application?

Probably because the i3 has good thermal management, at a decent kWh rating, without being as popular (i.e. expensive) as a Tesla battery pack, and because the Leaf pack is superior to all others they're in too high demand.to be economical.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, Electrek has absolutely 0 journalistic integrity, they were a straight up Tesla shill for years, because, surprise, the owners had gobs of Tesla stock, they've since said they've divested themselves after getting called on their poo poo, and are trying to be more even handed, but any article by them should be thoroughly scrutinized.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

RZA Encryption posted:

You seem very concerned with the rules. Just post. The twitter rule is "don't post randos". I think the common interpretation of that is "don't post unsubstantiated claims from people that have no known credibility to be making them". If there's a tweet video of a spark ev vs a leaf drag race, absolutely post it. elviscat, lets do it

Hell yeah, I'm ready to go, any time, any place, as long as I can get there with ChaDeMo charging and a 100 mile range from roughly the Seattle area.

Also yeah BCOCOMG, I'd calm down and see how it plays out, I don't want to put words in CT or Elmnt80's mouth, but the rules are just to cut down on slapfighting, post what you want from whatever site you want, and if the mods/IK find it objectionable they'll ask you not to, it's not like this sub forum is known for heavy handed moderation, the stupid Elon Musk troll account isn't even thread banned ffs.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

In other news, nissan is doing some reveal event for the ariya today. Maybe it will be good! Or at least cheap!

Maybe they'll put in active thermal management, finally, I'm amused that Nissans EV offerings will be a choice between.

A) large hatchback
B) Slightly larger small crossover

AWD option would be cool too.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

CCS would also be cool :P

Yeah, but, consider this, CHAdeMO has a cooler name.

Also, CHAdeMO 2.0! 400KW!

I looked up if I could get from Seattle to LA, and I can! Only 19 charges for a total of 8.5 hours of charging!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm looking at wrecked Leafs and Miatas with blown engines, do y'all think the Leaf traction unit is small enough to stuff in the Miata's trunk?

E:
Actually there's a Leaf minus the battery near me, that might be better, since it'd probably be easier to stuff Chinese 10kwh battery lumps under the hood and whatnot than to try and hack a Leaf pack to fit.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 15, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

They have cold plates too, I'm pretty sure I could fabricate a complete thermal management system from Alibaba parts, and control it with an Arduino.

The biggest thing that would hold me back from doing an EV build is that I'm not very proficient in electronics, like I know how IGBTs work, but once I get into all the controllers and ahit for them, firmware and software I'm just lost, just hacking existing Leaf hardware and software seems to be pretty well documented though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Former licensed electrician.

*FOR THE US ONLY*

You do not have three-phase "at the box" you have 240V single phase (which is center-grounded to give you 120V services)

If you look outside your window, and the power poles have three big wires all the way at the top, then you are in an area fed by three phase power, at the Utility side, your house is fed via transformer from one of these phases (look at the bucket on the pole [if you're overhead, not buried] and you'll see 1 little wire dropping from one of the three to the transformer).

If you live in an area with 3-phase available, you might be able to convince your local utility and zoning authority to hang a threesome of transformers and give you three phase delta or wye to your house, for only tens of thousands of dollars.

If there's only one wire up on insulators on the pole, your price for the service (after your lawyers bully the town council onto letting you have 3 phase) will be in the hundreds of thousands or millions.

As always with the US, this may vary widly with location, I don't think NERC has anything to say about it, so I don't think it's federally prohibited.

I really want a three phase service to my house btw, I've often toyed with the idea of firing off a few letters to my utility and seeing if they'll play ball.

It's also an absolutely ridiculous thing to do, when would you ever need DCQC at home?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Oh yeah, if you live in the greater Seattle area and want someone to look at your service to see if it supports an EVSE, or help you install a 14-50 or 6-50 for an EVSE, PM me or post your email in this thread, I have a lot of time off and love getting more people into EVs.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

I might hit you up in like 6 months. Or maybe not because the housing market is awful again

Please do!

It's a nightmare out there though, good luck :unsmith:

Yuns posted:

Tesla commented on one owner that exclusively used DC fast charging and confirmed that his car charging permanently throttled to protect the battery.

The salesman who sold me my Leaf drives one, and says he exclusively charges using the CHAdeMO charger at the dealership, because it's free. I'd like to see how long his battery lasts.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yuns posted:

Also Elviscat, could a 400A split phase home circuit deal with the Bosch charging station (208Vac-277Vac single phase power input) if you could somehow get a breaker and wiring that could deal with the 165A? EDIT: a little research seems to show that the answer is no but wanted to confirm.

Absolutely! You'd do an install very similar to a house with an electric furnace, one 200A meter and panel for house services, another for the big load, the charger in this case, expensive, but it shouldn't be technically difficult, I've done a couple 400A residential services, one for my parents for the electric furnace, one for a literal loving mansion. Do you have a link to that big boy Bosch charger? I'd love to look at the specs.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Maybe he gets a screaming deal on degraded warranty-replaced batteries :v:

I guess while we're talking about silly charging, how much would it take to have a house be able to support one of those 80A clipper creek chargers? Presumably, you'd want/need more than 200 amp service for that, right?

It depends! There are load calculations in the front of the NEC (National Electric Code) that you'd have to use to figure it out (available for free from the NFPA if you sign up), basically you calculate up all your big loads (oven, hot water, dryer) add a certain W/sq ft for hotel services, lights etc, and another W/sq ft for electric heat.

Spitballing, I'd guess if you have Natural Gas for heat and hot water, a moderately sized house, and no extra big loads (hot tub, jacuzzi) you could fit 80A on a 200A service, that's about the size of an electric on-demand "instant" hot water heater, for example, and I've fit those on 200A panels again.

Disclaimer: my journeyman's card has been expired for 10 years and local regulations vary.

E:

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Since we're on electricity chat, I have a quick question. My house has 200a service. The detached garage is powered by a 50a breaker. I basically don't use the garage for anything but storing yard equipment and the odd project. For a future EV, I'd like to have a 240v outlet installed. I should be able to have a 30a outlet installed without running a new line right? and I'd need one from the house to the garage if I wanted 50a? This would make the 30a option cheaper?

Yup, you can install a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 on a 30A circuit as well, provided that:

A: it's properly fused for the wire size and load (probably #8 and a 40A breaker in your case)

B: the load is not more than 80% of the circuit rating for continuous use (24A or about 5.76kw for a 30A circuit, or 32A or 7.68kw for a 40A circuit, a lot of cars have a 6kw onboard charger is why I recommend a 40A circuit) or 100% if the load is energized for.less than 4 hours at a time.

You'll notice this Clippercreek is rated for 24A, very conveniently the maximum continuous load on a 30A circuit! Almost like they designed it that way! And it has a 14-50 amp plug on the end, this would be perfect for your application. Sorry if I'm misinterpreting what you said and mansplaining, but I think a lot of people see that a NEMA 14-50 is rated for 50A, and think they have to supply that outlet from a 50A circuit.

How this works, btw, is the charger and car shake hands and get to know each other when you plug your car in, the EVSE on your wall goes "hey bro, I'm rated for a maximum of "x" amps" and the charger in the car goes "cool, cool, that's all I'll take then, brother" my EVSE is a no-name, but is really cool in that I can set it to 16, 24 or 32A, for use in a broad variety of applications, some of the real fancy ones like the Chargepoint you can set the exact amount of current to feed your car via an app or some poo poo, it's wild!

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 15, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

For those who want to do their own load-calculations:

I'd post the relevant pages highlighted, but I think it'd be :filez:. Big takeaways are, 3W per square foot for general house loads and lighting (referred to as "volt-amperes" by the NEC, volt-amps and Watts are equivalent terms for a residential service, on 3phase systems you have to consider inductive and capacitive loading, is why that's distinguished that way) then 100% of the nameplate rating of any dedicated appliance circuit, 100% heating load for furnace/heat pump/AC (take the biggest of heat or AC loads, don't need room for both for obvious reasons) 65% of your installed heating capacity nameplate rating for 4 or less baseboards, 40% for more than four. Divide the number you get by 240V, and that gives you how many amps of your service you need. There's a 70% demand rating allowance on wire sizing and stuff for residential services, so if you have a big honkin' 80A charger you might want to talk to your electrician about upsizing your feeder wire for a 100% rating, but in practice I doubt it'll matter, load calcs are pretty conservative as is.

If you want to dig through the source material for all this:

-the good stuff starts on section 220.40 of the NFPA 70, also known as the National Electric code.

-the NFPA are fuckers, I'm pretty sure they're required by law to provide the NEC for free, but they act like it's out of some kind of charity thing.

-Anyways, to get free access to the NEC, go to NFPA.org, search around until you find a link saying "free....

Actually I think I can link it https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/all-codes-and-standards/list-of-codes-and-standards/detail?code=70

LMK if that works, otherwise dig around until you get an online version of NFPA 70

*unhinged rant about the NFPA removed*

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yuns posted:

Thanks for answering all our naive questions!

Here is the Bosch:

https://www.boschevsolutions.com/charging-stations/ev2000-series?sku=EL-52240

You can literally order it off Amazon.

No problem! I love this stuff.

That's an awesome charging unit, I'm surprised anyone's produced something like that. I bet your local utility will let you add a second service just for that, should be a relatively simple install actually, it'd be pretty sweet too, because you'd get a bill every month telling you exactly how many $'s and kW are going into your EV.

gwrtheyrn posted:

This is live now

Cool poo poo. It's kinda a moot point right now since no vehicle will take 80A as far as I know. The korean cars are 7.2kw and TM3 is like 11kw. Would be funny to have though

Didn't some years of the Model S or Roadster come with dual 12kW chargers for a total of 24kW?

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 15, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's a hell of a deal if it retails near 35 (base) Nissan's been pretty solid EV tech wise, besides the noted dumb issues with their batteries, which this seems to fix.

GTR/Patrol based AWD is interesting since it implies a single motor and t-case instead of multi-motor, but that tracks with the more conventional Leaf layout.

E: more like 40k

If they sell the AWD for around 45k out the door, I'll buy one second model year to replace the Leaf, assuming nothing better pops up

Nissan's about 70,000 units from their cap on the Fed rebate from what I can find.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jul 15, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yuns posted:

It's definitely independent dual motors for the AWD version so I'm not sure what they took of ATESSA.

Ah, programming maybe?

E: nvm, I'm sold: "The Ariya's grille has a large sunken area with a subtle pattern that's supposed to resemble a traditional Japanese kumiko design. It also has a slightly redesigned Nissan logo that lights up."

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 15, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

This sounds kinda awkward to use, but I'd be curious to see how it works.

I can get something kinda close to this by shifting into "D/B" twice on my Leaf to get "B", basically it enables full regen when the gas pedal is released. It's very smooth and intuitive to use, especially when driving on twisty roads or in traffic with lots of speed changes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ola posted:

Interest tidbit, it has CHAdeMO in Japan but is getting CCS in Europe and North America. Beginning of the end for CHAdeMO.

CHAdeMO will live on.

In our hearts.

And China, apparently.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

I can count on one finger how many times I've done that in the last 5 years. Not saying it's not good, just I don't make that kind of trip a lot where it's a gamechanger, and on a ~120 mile range vehicle it's not like I'm looking to make those kind of trips

You're in the Seattle area, right?

This place has a fuckton of Leafs in stock, they're pretty easy to deal with and don't forget WA doesn't charge sales tax on EVs at the moment.

Test drive one and see if you like it, the bad thermal management on the battery is much less of an issue in the PNW than it would be elsewhere, and the 8 year/100kmi battery warranty follows the car, I found the prices to be unbeatable compared to a similar condition/year used ICE in the same class.

E: the attached VW dealer had at least one eGolf when I was there, so you might be able to do a twofer on test drives!

EE: yup, they have a '16 eGolf in stock.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 16, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Roughly yeah. The golf is 2016 like all the others I've found so it's only like 87 miles range which is a little too short. Leafs are super easy to find, so that's not really a huge problem, but the potential battery issues aren't really appealing if I can get something else for a similar price.

No sales tax up to certain price thresholds...then you get your $600 annual tabs and wonder if it was all worth it :v:, Well more like $300 since I'm not in the RTA area

Lol, I had to pay the whole ~$700, then got a refund check from the State for ~$400 like a month later, thanks to the inane way tabs work in this State.

The eGolf is still air cooled AFAIK, still supposed to be a little better at it than the Leaf though, and there's no problems like there are with the 30kW battery.

We should see a much more abundant selection of used EVs in the next couple years, WA just followed CA's mandate for a minimum% of EVs sold.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Indiana_Krom posted:

Today I had to move my old Altima to open up some parking for my brother in law who is coming to get it tomorrow. Got in, grabbed the shift lever (hey, at least I remembered how that works!), and then when it wouldn't shift I remembered that you have to start these things to make them move. Only the second day of driving a Tesla and I'm already forgetting how to drive a normal car.

At least after that moment of EV induced memory loss, I remembered to turn it off when I was done moving it.

It's funny how unneccessary convenience features work their way into your head, one day I misplaced my Leaf keys, so I grabbed the spare set, and the battery in the fob was dead, and I was SO MAD that I had to DIG MY KEYS OUT OF MY POCKET to start the car, it's like me from 4 months ago would call currwnt me an idiot baby right now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

EVs spread like crack cocaine, 3 or 4 people have expressed interest in buying one after driving/being driven in my Leaf.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

This is both interesting and a bit disappointing. Any vehicle you like - as long as it is a SUV or truck. :/

Well, the Buick CUV emphasizes "Form and Athletic fashion" that could be kinda car like.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

This should really be thread-bannable or incur a hefty probe.
e:// just to clarify, if we rebooted the thread because the old one had to much cattyness and wanted to reposition this as a more informative thread, having posters promote this kind of idiocy is completely against the aims of the thread.

I know other manufacturers have shied away from making it seen like the car drives itself. Honestly does Tesla incur more liability in cases where the autopilot causes an accident ?

Agreed, the death toll for this kind of behavior is at what, several? Now.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

How exactly does braking work on a Model 3? On my Volt, putting the gear in L makes it closer to one pedal driving, and I hated it. I instead kept it in D for better coasting and used the regen paddle to slow. The regular brakes seemed like they used pads more than regen, even a year and a half and I haven't mastered it fully.

I guess what I'm asking is can I coast in a 3 and have a way to always regen while slowing under braking unless I'm pushing hard because I really need to stop?

It doesn't really help with your question, but in the Leaf you can feather the brake pedal and hear the relays click for regen, then with a little more force you can feel the pads start to bite.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 18, 2020

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

It's useful in city driving/traffic or hilly areas where you're almost always accelerating or decelerating anyways, in my Leaf if I have it in max regen, I can simply keep a little pressure on the gas electron pedal to coast, the power display is helpful since it shows level of power going to accel/regen, with a big circle in the middle showing no power going either way.

It seems to be a real polarizing thing with EV owners, some (myself included) love it, some hate it, I think it makes the driving experience nice and smooth, especially since all the way off the pedal in max regen is about equivalent to coasting to a stop in gear, with a light press on the brakes, about how hard you'd want to brake in normal driving.

E: on my commute to work I know the exact locations where I need to let off the pedal to coast to a nice gentle stop for each stop sign/traffic light.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ultimately a self correcting problem I guess https://youtu.be/LfmAG4dk-rU

Hope there's no one in whatever you crash your car into :smith:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, even bare skis and boards on top will give you a pretty significant economy/range penalty.

I bet an AWD Tesla on Blizzaks is a fuckin' blast in the snow.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

I believe Tesla is trying to cut down on their use of rare elements. Likely not for any humanitarian reason but because it's a very unreliable price and supply chain that endangers their whole business.

Yeah, low-cobalt is a focus of battery research right now.

Ethical resource production and labor is a massive, global problem, Western Powers might have backed a couple in Bolivia recently to secure Lithium for example, all of China's problems with ethical labor and environmental protection etc.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Throttle Brain Injection

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I dunno what it's like in other markets but Audi can't sell e-trons to save their life in the US despite selling a bajillion QXs. I do think that at least for high end EV a dedicated brand makes sense (Polestar) or at least a kind of sub brand (ID). ANd if you had to pick something out of the JLR stable, it should have been Land Rover. I guess for LR it ran in to branding issues because it's not off road capable or whatever, despite the fact that a bunch of LR product is not off road capable anyway.

There's no reason you couldn't make an EV as off-road capable as an evoque or whatever though.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It’s a concern anywhere there is extreme heat. Climate change isn’t helping.

Texas is the only State in the US that doesn't have interties to other States, this is done to dodge Federal regulations on utilities, it's kinda nuts https://www.texastribune.org/2011/0...%20few%20times.

This has hilarious consequences for electricity prices in Texas.

Federal regulations have really been ramping up in the US following California's rolling brownouts, and that huge blackout on the East Coast a decade ago, they'll be the ones to mandate that utilities upgrade for EVs, of course it's heavily political, so if you live somewhere with a forward-thinking utility you'll probably be fine, if you have PG&E they'll keep burning large sections of your State down.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ola posted:

This is 'round about where "stop releasing CO2 FFS" comes in.... I'm not trying to pump liquid air purely to beat natural gas on simple market terms, I want there to be an easy next step so we can start killing them off.

I really like your cost estimate exercise, because it really shows that going carbon neutral (for the grid, at least) is an easy solvable engineering problem, the US could probably be 90% of the way there, with an expenditure of no more than 50% of the military budget per year (or, approx $500,000,000,000) for a decade.

But noooooooo let's make it a political issue.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Beffer posted:

It's a much tougher problem than that really. Because covering the duck is one thing, but it assumes average solar/wind production which is only a few hours coverage. The real problem is covering the gap for multiple days when you get bad weather conditions that reduce production. The answers are to massively increase renewable production or massively increase storage or a combination. That is the big problem, as I understand it.

I'm not arguing against the liquid air technology, by the way. I've been looking into it recently, and it seems like a great solution with well known standard industrial equipment. The cost supposedly scales way down as you just add more tanks. It also solves the problem mentioned above that you're not dependant on geology (conveniently located caverns or old mines) as it stores the liquid in standard liquid air tanks. It seems like a very clever engineering solution.

Oh yeah, I agree 100%.

But baseline power production should be 100% nuclear, with a massive investment in renewables and stored energy covering the rest of the curve, with probably at least a little peaking NG in there so you don't have rolling blackouts if you get a little more peak demand then your system accounts for.

You can use nuclear as a peaking plant, it just kinda sucks as one because they take awhile to start up, and they're an energy consumer when shut down. Small nukes, that a lot of people seem interested in these days, are better at this.

In th US there's going to be a massive need for artificial (desalinated seawater) fresh water supplies to agricultural areas in the next few decades, Inwonder if a massive water project could be integrated with a massive pumped-hydro energy storage project, pump a few million gallons of freshwater up the Sierra Nevadas during low demand periods, allow it to outfall to the farms around the Salton Sea via turbines in the evening.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Ola posted:

Maybe it's better to just stop doing this. Don't farm tropical fruit in the desert. It will be better to farm them where there's proper conditions and then ship them sustainably. If they don't want to, well it's their own problem, not a global or systemic one. People want green golf courses and picture perfect lawns in the desert too, that isn't an important problem for humanity. I wish some movie celeb would lead forward and make a beautiful desert garden instead of a temperate one on constant life support.

Yeah, it's definitely solvable. It's not like it's orders of magnitude out. Once enough money gets behind the green stuff, it will get the political push that fossil fuels are currently floating on.

Farming and food supplies are a really complicated issue, too much for me to dive in from an armchair perspective, I do know, that in our utter madness we've concentrated large amounts of people in areas completely unsuited to sustaining human life (from the Sierra Navadas East to New Mexico especially for the US) without massive feats of engineering. We should, of course also pursue sustainability from every angle, just as we should pursue energy efficiency along with powering the grid from renewable sources.

I did some math last night, and estimated that providing the US with 100% non-fossil-fuel electricity would cost about $20trillion, just for installed capacity, that doesn't take in to account storage needs to account for the duck curve, and that's using Vogtle 3&4's massively over budget cost per MWh.

Not as cheap as I stated earlier, but certainly doable.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

A lot of that can come down, the AP1000 design wasn't 100% complete when they started building Vogtle, and getting the first new nuke permits in decades from FERC didn't help anything either. I'm a huge fan of nuclear but it's probably politically impossible to get it cheap enough to be competitive in the US. Somewhere like China is a different story.

Yeah, I used it because it's about as conservative an estimate as I could find.

The AP1000 is such a good design for a PWR too, it'd be really nice to see it replace all the old reactor designs that have lovely passive cooling features, and poo poo like ice-condenser containment which is such an lol concept.

There's a ton of really cool molten salt and thorium breeder reactor designs out there too, that could be way, way cheaper to build (because they don't need large containment buildings) and cheaper and more ecologically friendly to fuel (enriching uranium sucks).

It's mostly a sad dream, since NIMBYism has defeated the glorious atom.

I can see over a dozen nuclear reactors from my deck where I'm typing this, there's another dozen or so just up the road, but the only power-generating reactor in my state is a sad, old GE BWR, that nevertheless produces 10% of the State's power.

It sucks and I hate it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

In Southern California the only time Teslas stand out are when I see a Model X and I'm reminded just how ugly those things are

Oh they're frightful, the "sleek, grill-less" design language does not translate to that barge. Model Y looks pretty decent all things considered.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

stevewm posted:

Likely whoever engineered that particular part thought "well this is how it's always been done, why change?"

This is also probably one of the reasons GM recommends unplugging the car and disconnecting the 12v battery if storing the car for more than a few months.

If left plugged in for an extended period of time without being turned on, it will eventually drain the 12v.

Supposedly the Bolt is the same way.

I'd be willing to bet that it's to avoid having a lower-than-advertised charging rate for the traction battery, plus possibly having the converter for the traction battery not play nice with the downstream converter for the 12V loads, possibly leading to improper float voltages and whatnot.

Plus just not needing to float the 12V on shore power under 99% of conditions.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That is most def gonna be a real motorcycle that will exist, and if it does make it to market, is 100% going to not lunch its battery after the first DCFC.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Elmnt80 posted:

No, Pontiac. :getin:

This would be very weird and kinda cool.

And perfectly match Ford making "Mustang" an EV brand for pure "what the gently caress?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

EVs are pretty much the main use case where it makes sense to lease. Leases are heavily subsidized, you qualify for all kinds of other incentive money from fed/state/local, and you are not locked in to the current tech. You also are generating a used EV for someone to purchase at a lower price point in 24/36 months if you care about such things.

I'm super happy someone leased my Leaf for 24 months, since it let me buy the car in cash, and it's basically indistinguishable from a brand new car.

It was pretty funny to see like 20+ 2017 Leafs with 19,XXX miles on them all parked next to each other though.