Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I highly doubt the Bolt's going to die, especially since it shares the same platform as the Bolt EUV. A lot of the Bolt's interior sucks, not just the seats, and that's a product of making a car which has a 259 mile range but still being affordable.

Bolt owners are largely very satisfied with their cars, their rep's going to help GM in the long run, and I think that's why GM's updating this outsold car as you said.

GM got stung hard by the marketing talk from Tesla that the Model 3 would be a 35-39 thousand dollar sedan for the everyman. So they build a vehicle that would be equal in range the competition and under that price. And they beat it to market by half a year.

They didn't realize that Tesla was not serious about the price, and that almost every Model 3 would be sold at 1.5x that.

Also they should have fixed the seats after the first year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

https://www.sae.org/news/2020/05/gm-ultium-battery-update

GM had good news on this front in May, though things have been quiet over the summer. Which is not surprising, given development cycles and current events.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Gamesguy posted:

My problem is when people argue that only Teslas are viable electric cars because no other EV can be used for a US roadtrip, or that no EV is suitable because they drive 500 miles to their grandma in Nebraska once a year.

I just don't understand this mentality, I'd much rather rent than deal with trip planning an EV long distance.

You are vastly underestimating the number of people who like to take a 200 mile trip without having to plan ahead. Won't have a charging station at the big crowded parking lot, and you're already trying to cram the whole trip into a single weekend or a single day so spending a half hour each direction kinda sucks.

Going from Denver to a ski area and back . Going from Detroit MI to Traverse City MI for a winery tour. Or from Columbus OH to Bardstown KY for the distilleries. Going from Montgomery AL to the gulf coast. Going to Cedar Point or Six Flags. Or going to a concert in another city.

These are all things that you might just suddenly decide to do on Thursday or Friday, so no time to set up a rental for the next day.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I feel like you shouldn't be able to call it a launch if a customer can't walk out the door with product in hand.

Reveal, okay. Launch, bullshit.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

MrPablo posted:

I've seen HOAs harass people for having the wrong shade of door and for having the right shade that was "too faded", that's why I'm jaded.

:killdozer:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Ola posted:

Is the Polestar in the US? It's 4WD but not in the 30-35k range. Same for the Etron. Used Model 3 ticks all those boxes.

Used Model 3 also the most likely to have a catastrophic failure.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I was actually talking about the suspension, control arms, and cast metal parts.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Banding scooters like they're birds for a recapture study

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Mustangs are done up in neon colors and get parked outside of nightclubs.

Volvos only come in silvers and browns and get parked at country clubs.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

It's also a giant middle finger to aerodynamics. If they are getting good range on that thing, imagine what sort of range they could get on a sensible wagon.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

MrPablo posted:

C|net has a summary of upcoming EV trucks: GMC Hummer EV vs. Tesla Cybertruck, Bollinger and Rivian: Electric trucks compared.

Available stats and pricing are pretty limited, but it's still an interesting read.

Completely ignores the electric F-150, I guess it's not cool enough to just use a normal functional truck body instead of a luxury suv.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

harperdc posted:

From that article:

I really really really want to see their math on that figure.

Depending on your industry, a F-150 used as a work vehicle can easily go through more than a tank of gas every week.

That's $50-100 every week on gasoline over the 8+ year life of the truck.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

ilkhan posted:

It doesn't do anything the Y doesn't do, while charging slower, being slower, having shorter range, and not having supercharger access. Almost literally the only benefit is not having a tesla badge. I guess it supports car play and android auto, which the Y doesn't... It was a lot more interesting when the Y was going to be late and they'd be out about the same time. Alas, Tesla went and hosed that up.

1) it looks a lot better. Teslas look like rear end from every angle.

2) Tesla is currently investigating this whole "suddenly becoming a convertible" issue on the Y. Possibly thousands of units affected.

3) Tesla can't provide reliable parts & service in 2/3rds of the country.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

That's the goal, get the FSD failure banned by the NHTSA, then then blame evil big government for not letting them deliver the promise, rather than Tesla's own incompetence.

Pocket as much money as they can along the way.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Biggest issue with e-crate is going to continue to be where to put the battery. It’s a unitary package, and you can’t really break it up and put sections of it in discrete locations.

The hope is that GM will be amenable to various battery shapes, especially two long ones that go on either side of a driveshaft.

Getting feedback on what people want as options/add-ons is a big part of the press release.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

E-Transit official pricing and stats are released. Only about $8000 more than a standard ICE Transit (before tax incentives so potentially the same price). That's less than 3 years to cover the cost in gas savings alone.

Pretty low range, but I don't actually know how many miles a typical in-city delivery vehicle covers in an 8 hour day.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Bus routes? Sounds like a case for

P a n t o g r a p h s

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Ola posted:

I don't know about cost either, but I don't think it's the most important factor anyway. Without pantographs you have to do all your charging stationary. This eats into the transport capacity unless you grossly oversize the battery or abuse it with very high charging power. And while pantographs aren't pretty, most places don't have to look pretty. So doing both is a win-win compromise, no pantographs in the pretty places and no long charging stops.

This has always been my opinion, as well

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm not mad about it since I was never going to buy it anyway. But they made a big deal of the 35k EV and are now doing the same with the 25k one so it's pretty funny.

Their competition took the $35k price point seriously and built cars that were profitable at that price point. We'll see if the same price race happens again.

Ford has already suggested that a $20k EV is in the pipeline but of course no details except the intended price.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

There's a blog from a guy who drove his custom built e bike across the country, tried to be the first in 2012. According to him the aero is the most important factor for the range on a bike.

Presumably they don't include a big torpedo shaped aero fairing on the commercial bikes because they look dorky.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 28, 2020

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The mustang looks sexy as hell. It's without a doubt the best looking 4-door EV. And it goes fast.

Looks sexy, goes fast is the mustang brand.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The official temperature of a place for meteorology is taken inside a ventilated box that's painted white and is five feet off the ground. Temperatures inside a metal & glass car or close to the surface can easily be way hotter.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I went to go fill up MrsYenko’s GLI a few months ago, first time I’d pumped gas in literally years, and the card reader was non functional filled with something that I will optimistically call chewing gum. So I walk in to give them my card and ask to turn the pump on. The attendant was absolutely mystified by my request. Like she had never even encountered the concept of a fill-up before.

:wtc:

It was like being in a bad time travel movie. The guy behind me in line was chuckling as I tried to comprehend not being able to FILL THE TANK at a GAS STATION.

Yeah see if you want to fill up you use the automatic system at the pump. If you're a broke rear end minimum wage worker you go inside and ask for a specific dollar amount like a dirty poor person.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Funk In Shoe posted:

Got a model 3 a month ago; it’s fun to drive. Like a sewing machine with wheels.

Your car probably shouldn't be having that much vibration.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1131027_vietnam-s-vinfast-reveals-trio-of-electric-suvs-including-2-for-us

Looks like the deep pockets of asian real estate conglomerates are coming out with the lidar-equipped toys.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

For the people that have these fancy 360°cameras that display everything you can't even see from your windows and mirrors on the giant screen on the console, does it make more sense to push the R button from the very screen that you're going to be checking your surroundings on, or fumbling around on the center console for a knob that you turn some soft click or momentary contact to the right or left that does the same thing?

Who fumbles for the gear lever? It should be muscle memory. And if I'm reaching for the screen then I'm blocking it with my hand

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The basic idea is that any time you're asked to put a thousand dollars down on some object, you should take a look at whether you can put that thousand dollars into investing instead and whether that's going to get you more money over the length of the object's expected lifespan.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Qwijib0 posted:

this is it, the ugliest EV

Nah the X still owns the crown for instant shuddering revulsion

That's just a 300C with a dumb grille

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Bone Crimes posted:

That would be incredibly good. I really hope that happens. That's like 25% more efficient that a model 3 SR+. How could they do that? Less mass sure, but how much better aero can you get?

The most valuable car company in the world has built its entire business model on unsubstantiated claims building unwarranted hype. Let GM dangle a few berries for the folks who pay attention

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

Anyone know about the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV? I’m minivan shopping and the dealer is taking a lot of money off of them v the normal gas version.

Also I know literally 0 about electric vehicles

I know they won a bunch of awards. Specifically truck of the year

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 21, 2021

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Has everyone here forgotten about the goddamn F-150?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

confused posted:

I was originally going to get a Model Y Performance, but after being stuck in the house for a year I ordered a six seater Model X Plaid. Estimated delivery date is June. I believe the chances of regretting the purchase are high, but we will see. I just liked the idea of an absurdly fast car that can carry my whole family.

What a waste of money. You could have taken your whole family on like 5 nice vacations for that price difference.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

I guess cadillac announced something today https://www.cadillac.com/electric/lyriq

I like it. Can not afford it, but I like it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

wasn't the lyriq announced like a year ago?

Just the name, no images or specs. And it's apparently 9 months ahead of that previous schedule.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023-cadillac-lyriq-first-look-review/

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 21, 2021

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Qwijib0 posted:

Even Level 1 can be fine, I charged my model 3 at 12A 120V for about 6 months till I sorted out charging. That's still about 40 miles a night so depending on commute it's doable.

I'm pretty sure the EPA / FHWA estimate is that more than 80% of daily travel is less than 35 miles.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The real answer is probably that the lowest-cost lowest-range model has a sub-200km (125mi) range, just like the Electric Transit that they're building for commercial buyers*. A bunch of people in this thread are making big assumptions about what the range will be on consumer models*.

* by which I mean there's a fair change that the lowest price range of the Lightning will only be available if you're buying at least 150 of them.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

A guy in Brazil just went ahead and 3D printed the parts to hook his Bolt up to his house for the pandemic.

https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/installing-anderson-power-socket-12v-inverter-etc.37416/#post-585640

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 22, 2021

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I'm really wondering if the range test included a bed cover. The 1000lbs of load is really good. But aero will also be a big range boost.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

HisMajestyBOB posted:

How is the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid? We're pretty tempted to get one as our minivan. Seems to have good reviews and no serious issues.

There's only like 3 minivans still being sold. And the Pacifica is the only PHEV model from those three.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

cruft posted:

EV content to atone: Albuquerque just got a dozen new L3 chargers and we might be able to get the Leaf there now. Maybe. I know you're supposed to only need 83 miles for 90% of trips or something, but when the closest Costco is a 2 hour drive on the Interstate, this statistic isn't very helpful.

Try buying your groceries at a nearby grocery store instead of at the the bulk membership place.

Or, alternatively, use the bulk retailer to buy more than a month's worth of food at once so you can just cook from the pantry 45 days in a row.

Either of these practices should reduce your need to be a whiney bitch.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

The target is nerds with too much money and not a lot of self control. Same as it always has been.