Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

FilthyImp posted:

That N Vision concept looks like someone nashed the Randomizer on a few vehicles, crossbreed them with a DeLorean and added in 70s/80s anesthetics before hitting render.

loving THANK YOU. I kept looking at it thinking it was the ugliest poo poo I have ever seen with random poo poo thrown together, but everyone is seemingly in love with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Al-Saqr posted:

I think it’s the only car reveal in the last decade that made me legitimately consider selling a kidney for, it’s by the same designer as the delorean based off a car for 1974, it looks sexy and stylish and I love it.

But then again I’m a huge Initial-D/cyberpunk/retro style enthusiast so it just hits me in all the right spots, especially the coupe style and the pixel light theme is just *chefs kiss*

I hope they make the final production version an EV, I’m pretty sure they will, it’s not the first time they go from a hydrogen concept to an EV.

If you love it, you love it, and I’m happy for you and them and anyone else it brings joy to. I just cannot understand it. I love the Delorean and cyberpunk too, but this looks like they chopped the front end of a Delorean off, poorly glued it to the back half of an early 90s Porsche, slapped on a lovely Late 90s Honda Civic body kit and replaced all of the head/tail lights with Lite Brites.

My brain. Just. Can’t. Comprehend.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Yeep posted:

Can you get a Citroen Ami?

Why does this car have two rears and no front?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

cruft posted:

LOL, nice annotation.

I'm going to count this as a "yay" vote. So far, the following people have expressed some level of support:

1. Sonic Dude: "allow some whimsy into your cold black heart"
  2. Kirios: "you assholes can post pictures of your much nicer cars"
  3. Happy Noodle Boy: "if you come here and say you bought an EV you best post some photos"
  4. VideoGameVet: "OK"
  5. Hawkperson: "yeah let's do it"
  6. dalstrs: "I vote for it"
  7. Dancing Peasant: "gently caress YOU CRUFT" (probably a yea, see photo above)
  8. Qwijib0: "Pics or probes"

If we can count CAT INTERCEPTOR and myself as a yea, that's 10. But I bet we can get two or three more.

As a thread lurker and someone in the market for an EV, I fully support this rule.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

borkencode posted:

Scientists: We are just beginning to understand the negative effects that excessive noise pollution can have on people. Quieter electric vehicles may improve our urban environments.

Dodge: IT PLAYS THE JETSONS CAR NOISE AT 120 DECIBELS!

The guy in the presentation literally says it is designed to wake the neighbors.

Maybe that’s how you get chuds on board with EVs long enough to try them and like them, THEN you put noise regulations in place.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I got pretty excited about the Equinox EV reveal, for a number of reasons. I loving loved my Volt, Equinox higher trim will be the price range I’m looking for, the form factor I’m looking for, and the timeframe I’m looking for.

I checked out the site and the gorgeous blue only comes with that awful white top. I may have to include getting that painted to match as part of the overall cost.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

I adjust my mirrors while driving all the time, so this sounds like a terrible idea to me. If I change my seat position or even how I'm sitting I usually need to bump the mirrors a bit, and a four-way button control with tactile feel is exactly the right thing for that. Also in most vehicles to reach the screen I have to move my entire body and thus my head isn't even in the right place anymore.

This is wild to me. I buy a car, I set the seat to where I want it to be, then set the mirrors. In the three years I have had my car, I have only moved the seat position once, while I was cleaning it so that I could vacuum under the seat better.

I have not touched the mirror controls since I was in the dealer lot the day I bought the car.

Why would you ever adjust the seat position and mirrors while actively driving?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

I think if PHEVs were priced more competitively — and were actually available — they’d steal a massive chunk of the EV market. Their compromise seems so compelling. Electric for the 90% of your rides that are local, and gas for the odd times when you need to go further.

I loving loved my 2 Volt leases. My last one I was averaging 220ish miles per gallon lifetime, because the battery power nearly perfectly matched my commute, with like three, 4 hour trips to see family every year and the occasional weekend getaway.

I fell on some hard times and had to pickup an 8 year old CRV when my 2nd lease ended, but am now back to very secure financially and goddamn am I mad about them killing the Volt. I would buy a new one with absolutely zero hesitation.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
GM's market cap ( $57B) is literally 10% of Tesla ($572B), which is absolutely stupid, yes, I know. It would take an absolutely apocalyptic crash for Tesla for GM to be able to even conceive of buying Tesla.

Toyota on the other hand, is sitting at $241B, and has notoriously slow-played entry into the BEV market. What I would love, is for Tesla to crash pretty hard, get bought by Toyota, who is actually known for their quality car building. Toyota would just have to overhaul Tesla's build quality, while scooping up the excellent underlying tech that Toyota is so behind on.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Aaaand with that, Tesla has achieved everything they wanted to by opening up their connector to general use.

The US government recently announced billions of dollars in subsidies for companies building EV charging stations -- but only if their stations are compatible with cars for more than one manufacturer. All Tesla needed was to have one other company making a car that uses the same plug, and now they can suck up more public money just like every other one of Elon Musk's scammy companies. Mission accomplished.

Can you list the Musk companies that are scammy and sucking up public money?

It’s okay to hate Elon Musk. I do. He’s a demonstrably terrible person and arguably all of his companies would be better if he were to just gently caress right off forever, but what companies are scams sucking up public money?

The Boring Company is the only one I can think of that could be a scam, but is likely just more dumb hubris than malice. Even still it’s all venture money, not public.

Hate Elon Musk. Please. But do so for the many actual lovely things he does.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I’m so sad that the Equinox isn’t going to be here sooner. Assuming they do a good job with it, I’m pretty set on one of the higher trim AWD versions that won’t come out until spring 2024.

I guess I’m hanging onto my crappy 2013 CRV that I really don’t like for another year.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Three Olives posted:

Every car these days offers subscription services? Everything needs data and license fees, car companies aren't going to eat the cost of LiDAR mapping and real-time traffic indefinately.

We are worried about the BMW-style subscriptions like them turning off your heated seats if you don’t pay the monthly sub for that feature.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
You guys are making this so much more complicated Hahn you need to. Just get summer tires, put chains on them and leave the chains on year round. I get great traction in all seasons this way.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

i like my vehicles to have a physical control device that must be installed in the machine to cause it to turn on, exactly like we have on all other multi-ton dangerous equipment.

this ensures that only people who are authorized to operate the device are able to, and it provides an obvious and unambiguous indication that the device is active or it isn't.

i don't like keyless systems and i really don't like phone-based keyless systems

Your phone/keyfob is the physical control device that must be installed in the device to cause it to turn on. This ensures that only people who are authorized to operate the device are able to as much as a standard key. If someone can take your phone/keyfob, they can take your keys. I’d argue your phone is much more likely to be noticed if missing.

If your phone/keyfob is in the car, the car is obviously and unambiguously active.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Russian Bear posted:

So you’re saying I’m the key and inside the car is the ignition??? :aaa:

Just insert yourself to turn it on.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

bird with big dick posted:

Such an ignorant thing to say. Do you think Toyota just enormously upgraded the power of the Prius because the overwhelming majority of people don’t care about it?

Vegetable posted:

I think they just did it because everyone else did and they are paranoid. In reality no one cares.

The Prius got overhauled in a lot of ways because it needed to be. It got rid of all of the terrible parts that people used to be willing to sacrifice in exchange for the efficiency.

The 0-60 is now around 7 seconds, down from 10. Not exactly exciting, but passable

Before, the Prius looked terrible, now it looks fine. The power used to be abysmal, now it’s fine. The driving dynamics used to be horrible, now they’re fine. The electronics/interface used to be fine, now they’re pretty good.

With all of the competition from EVs and other hybrids, they needed to make it a pretty good car while keeping the efficiency.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I’m looking to get a new car in the next year, and would love to go full EV, but drat am I having trouble finding what I want within my desired price range. I’d buy a Bolt EUV tomorrow if it had an AWD option, but it doesn’t.

Is there ANYTHING under 40K with AWD that isn’t a used Model 3? Am I going to have to wait for the Equinox launch?

Any PHEVs that might fit the bill? Preferably with more than 30mi electric range to fit my commute?

I’m ok with used, but cars.com and car max inventory within 500 miles is understandably completely barren. Well, except for a massive number of Teslas.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 26, 2023

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

What do you need AWD for?

We’re in Colorado, frequent deep snow in the mountains. Good snow tires are the most important thing, but I’d feel a lot more comfortable with AWD as well. Trading in our Subaru for anything without it is probably a nonstarter for my wife.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Vegan leather? Oh, you mean solidified processed petroleum distillate and chlorine sheets?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

McPhearson posted:

Including employee and visitor parking, the ChargePoint app shows that Disneyland has 64 chargers in the Mickey and Friends parking structure, 33 chargers in the Pixar Pals parking structure, and another 90 chargers in the Toy Story parking lot. And that's just theme park parking. Downtown Disney parking has 44 chargers plus 4 at the Paradise Pier hotel and 10 at the Disneyland Hotel.

Nice. That can handle 0.4% of their average daily visitors. 0 employees though.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

I am a wholehearted supporter of nuclear powered trains, and cars for that matter.

Usually easier to have one big nuke plant that powers those things via wires and batteries tho, as much as I want A Transatlantic Tunnel, Hurrah! to be non-fiction.

My Leaf lost its first bar of battery health when I started it up today :cry:

Wait, where in this picture is battery health?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

drhankmccoyphd posted:

On a whim I started monkeying around with the model 3 order form. It seems way too good to be true and I feel like I must be loving something up. A base model 3 24 month lease is showing $224 with $7500 down (EV tax credit I’d likely just put down and recoup end of year). That seems crazy low to me. Does Tesla factor in the EV credit at checkout? Am I somehow doubling up on that?

That also is likely calculating your lease estimation based on an 850 credit score.

edit: Also no taxes and fees.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

drhankmccoyphd posted:

Good to know

:agesilaus:

Right. What I don’t know is if that credit is being applied to the lease amount. Or is this just a standard lease with 7500 down?

It is likely that lease prices are reduced by an amount determined by the lessor to remain price competitive against the products of other potential lessors, yes.

But no, they are almost certainly not taking the total cost of your 24 month lease and taking off $7500.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

Have you ever been in a Turkish e-bus?

Is this a euphemism?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Holy poo poo, the can listen!
This is like Apple going back to the old keyboard, ditching the stupid touchstrip, and putting the HDMI back on the computer.

Counterpoint, the VW hatch looks bad,always has, and “19 year old pizza delivery guy” is not the demo they should be targeting.

Edit: Actually, at the price and specs if they can pull it off, maybe it is the right demo. Would be really impressive at that price.

Still ugly though.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 17, 2023

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Three Olives posted:

Basically every financial expert that has ever looked at Tesla public finances has basically said "I have no loving idea how they are coming up with these numbers, but I don't see anything outright illegal."

There has never been actual evidence of major financial fraud in Tesla, but there have been years of a huge amount of smoke, absolutely no one is going to be shocked if Tesla ends up being Enron 2.0.

I'm confused by this. I am not super in the know or anything, but like, is Tesla actually reporting themselves on a massive valuation? Hasn't Musk been pretty vocal that the stock price is massively overinflated, and that it's just the market that seems to think it is worth that much?

I'm not sure if fraud, or smoke, or referencing Enron is even relevant if Tesla themselves are just saying "We're doing our thing, we think the market way overvalues our stock, but if that's what it wants to pay, then okay, we guess."

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I finally just got a car with Apple CarPlay after years of goons saying that it’s so amazing they won’t even consider a car without it.

It’s like, pretty okay? The map on a the screen is neat, but hasn’t really been actually useful yet.

The thing I use it for most is controlling my podcasts and the interface for it is actively worse than the phone experience, not wanting to actually play my next podcast without navigating all the way back to my shows, scrolling down to the one I want then selecting it and selecting the next episode. About 90% of the time I have to hit pause then play again to get it to actually start.

Fast forwarding and rewinding with my car controls instead of phone is super nice though.

I cannot imagine having it as a consideration in my next vehicle purchase, much less a deal breaker.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 12, 2023

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

No one wants to buy a car that chooses pedestrians over the driver — not in any scenario. Even if there’s some choice being made in the backend to this effect we will never see the light of it.

I seem to remember early on the different companies waxing theoretical and being noncommittal while saying “it’s a tough problem that we need to solve together, with the people, and legislators, etc…” but then Mercedes came out and straight up said “Nah, if we do this, we will 100% always try to save the driver, no matter what other variables.”

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

I agree BMW is pretty chill but I have literally never encountered a dealer between used car lots, Chevy, Subaru, Ram, and Ford that was willing to commit to anything over email. It might as well be mythical “demand to give your resume to the manager” boomer wisdom to me.

Have you tried since Covid? They got real used to doing deals online only then, and seems they are still doing it. I got my car 2 states over with everything done online, including trade-in valuation (sent a ton of pics). Showed up, gave them my keys, took the new one home.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

They’re supposed to contact corporate themselves and arrange for an engineer to fly out and look at the car. That’s what Subaru did when my new WRX was shooting out massive plumes of white smoke that the dealership techs couldn’t figure out.

loving dealerships, man

The dealership isn’t going to call corporate and say “Get an engineer out here ASAP, we have a car with no error codes that drives fine when we test it”.

Edit: To be clear, I believe WH, but the dealer seems not to.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 27, 2023

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah wtf is this anti Buc-ees slander?!? I have literally never seen anyone say a bad thing about it until now. It’s loving awesome. Who doesn’t want pristine bathrooms, enough gas and electric stalls that you never have to wait?

Even if you don’t want all of the other stuff, it’s literally the best possible gas station if that is all you want.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

priznat posted:

I don’t think it has enough usable space in the rear storage for the dogs so I guess I better cancel it and get my $500 back.

How many cubic feet of dog do you need to accommodate?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

cruft posted:

First one in 2024 :allears:

Oh I bet they could write 7 checks to ChargePoint to subcontract out the building of a standard install rebranded to whatever they want by 12/31/24 to technically meet that deadline.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

lol that this is your takeaway, those things have practically nothing to do with each other especially since Teslas are efficiency kings compared to Fords et al.

:thejoke:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
In this day and age though, it needs to be black walnut, or spalted maple.

Bonus points for live edge.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Good lord the front end is huge. Reports say 12.2 cubic feet of frunk space. Gotta be able to fit like 60lbs of shrimp in that.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

What you want turn a key to start the ignition, you loving neanderthal?

Nah, I believe QJ is part of the crowd that believes that “In an EV, there is no point in having on/off states. A vehicle should just always be ‘on’ if the keyfob is inside the car.”

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Elviscat posted:

I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on heated steering wheels, heated seats, and environmental control in EVs in general.

I'm weird, and when I started tracking energy use when I started driving EVs, I stopped using the heat. When I commute to and from work in the winter, I put on a super thick winter jacket and beanie and drive with the heat off and the seat heat cranked, and the window cracked to keep my breath from fogging the windshield. I'm perfectly comfortable when I do so, since our winters are pretty mild.

It was kinda a necessity in my Leaf, but in my Bolt, it costs 0 dollars and isn't necessary at all, but I still do it. Some weird part of me just can't accept burning a couple kW to heat the cabin to a nice 69⁰ F for my drive home.

I also will not buy any EV without heated seats, it's a pointless (imo) luxury in ICE cars, where the cabin's 70⁰ F+ 10 seconds after the seat heaters warm up, but an indispensable necessity in EVs, since it can warm you up for way lower energy costs than heating up the ambient cabin air.

I thought this was a me thing, but my GF has picked up on my habits. She keeps a couple of blankets in our cars so she can wrap up when I'm driving, or wrap them around her torso when she is. She does keep the windows closed, and cycles the defroster just as necessary, rather than setting the climate.

Am I a loving weirdo, or has anyone else changed their habits a lot since switching to an EV?

I understand the impulse. You convinced yourself of the illusion of normalcy, due to necessity with the Leaf.

But now, this is not normal, it is spreading to your GF. Turn it around now. Just use the heat.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

I bet these guys dump their used motor oil into the storm drain and keep their home thermostat set at 80 in the winter so they can walk around naked with their sad little dingers out.

Excuse me. Because I keep my home at 80, when I parade naked throughout my home, my immense dinger sways, pendulous, it’s heft careening side to side, such that it threatens to drive me off balance with its burden.

Such is the power inherent in those who actually use their car’s heater in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
It is not weird to keep blankets in your car in case of emergency, or for passengers who want one to be extra cozy. It IS weird to have blankets be your planned method of staying warm when your car has a perfectly good heater and you have WAY more than enough battery to run it.