Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Charles posted:

I have the same problem with owning an iPhone. Even on these forums people are convinced it's some kind of cultural thing. I just wanted a phone that has a nice camera.

People probably think that because the iPhone doesn't have a monopoly on good cameras; I too was just looking for a good camera, and in my research felt like the Pixel 5 had a better camera than the equivalent iPhone and was also $100 cheaper so I went with that. But I think you should use whatever phone you like and don't need to justify that choice

I don't think that any good comes from devoting oneself to a loving brand, of all things; most Tesla fanatics will eventually get over it and be kicking themselves later for acting so douchey

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jul 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Anyone here have a Hyundai Kona Electric? How is it?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My dad has one, a 2019 I think, and I drove it around a bunch this weekend. It's an EV Kona. It's an incredibly dull modern compact CUV with an electric drivetrain. The drivetrain only cures one of its ills. That mean it's cramped inside, the interior is low rent Hyundai partsbin stuff, the handling is OK, it has a pretty pitchy short wheelbase, there's a lot of road and wind noise, and it's loving ugly. On the other hand, unlike the normal Kona, it's not as slow and was averaging somewhere between 4 and 5 mi/kw, so roughly 2.5-3 cents per mile based on his electricity prices, and it has a bunch of kitted out features like a HUD, ACC/LKA, sunroof, and cooled seats. On the third? hand, it's not cheap and I would have a hard time not finding another couple grand in the budget to buy something nicer. A limited at $42K before incentives is right around Mach E / ID.4 / Tesla 3 territory. If you must buy a Korean EV, I'd still be hard pressed to buy it over the Niro as the Niro is less ugly and I find Kia's interiors more tolerable.

Any specific questions? I can answer or get his input.

Nah nothing in particular, I'm not a car person so I'm just stumbling around looking at numbers and going "this one seems okay, is it though?" That all sounds kind of... lovely I guess. Thanks for the info! Car and Driver kind of led me down this path of considering the Kona

I'm considering a Model 3. The Model 3 and the Kona have roughly the same MSRP, but after incentives (state + federal) the Kona is about $10k cheaper. Plus the Kona's warranty and free service seem pretty excellent. The Niro has the same incentives, so it's like $9k cheaper than the Tesla Model 3, but I wonder whether it's got most of the same disadvantages as the Kona?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I like my e-Niro a lot. Drove several as well as several Konas before deciding. What sold me on the Niro was the additional trunk and backseat space since I have three kids and like to haul things around for camping trips, scouts etc. The Kona was really nice though; I'd say the stereo is better (if you go for the Krell one, might be a different setup in the US?) and the heads up display was very functional (though not as nice as the windshield projection ones on other cars). Had I not needed the space I'd have gone for the Kona since I prefer driving smaller vehicles when possible.

Had initially ordered an ID.4 but after driving a few I decided against it. Didn't like the touch buttons, the interior, or the size. Also thought the software felt a little rough/unfinished. I think in a year or two the ID will be a great choice but VW needs to let it bake it a little longer.

FWIW, I've been getting 550+ km range out of the Niro now during the summer (22-28C outside). But I rarely blast highway speeds. Even when driving ICE cars I preferred taking the smaller roads when going somewhere even if it added a little time to the drive since I hate just sitting on a highway at 120+ km/h for any extended period of time.

PS: ventilated seats loving own in the summer. Had them on my 9-5 Aero and been missing them since. Both the Niro and Kona have them on the top level trims here.

Any additional praise/complaints with the Niro? Maybe I should give one a test drive

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Thank you all for the great discussion

I have a test drive scheduled for a long range model 3, but it looks like they have a 3 month wait list for orders. Bummer. It's not like I need a car at this second but I may try test driving the niro and maybe the mustang

Any mustang owners in this thread have thoughts to share?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Test drove a long range model 3 today, that's a pretty nice car. Even with no federal incentive, it might be hard to beat

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

How many drivers of EVs are not primarily charging at home? I feel like it's probably a very small percentage

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also, booked a test drive with a Polestar 2. Any thread denizens have thoughts? The characteristics seem similar to the Tesla Model 3 Performance but less range and lower cost (after incentives), and from what I read the Polestar may be the more enjoyable car.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MrOzzy posted:

I'm driving a Polestar 2 for 5 months now, I can only recommend it. The Android infotainment system is a big bonus. Navigation + voice control (Hey Google, please turn on the seat heathing :)) is very well done. I don't have any range issues.

Thanks. I will mostly be commuting in it so I feel like the nice interior may be a big plus, plus all of the reviews talk about how nice it is to drive

Do you typically use a standard 120V outlet or are you on 240? How much charge do you tend to get after leaving it to charge overnight?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Today I had test drives scheduled for the Polestar 2 and the Kia Niro EV. A few days ago I test drove a Tesla Model 3, which I was really happy with; that's a great car that I would love owning.

The Polestar 2 is loving nice. The experience started with a good impression, you just give Polestar an address and they drive a car out to you. Every single thing about the car felt itself felt great, but especially the air conditioned seats blowing cold air straight up my rear end on demand. I didn't know that this was a feature that I wanted until now. After 30 minutes of street driving with maxed out AC and butthole ventilation the battery indicator barely decreased at all, so I feel pretty comfortable with the range. Handling felt great, car was a joy to drive. I also like that it has some actual physical interfaces for things like the stereo volume, and the map display behind the steering wheel is extremely good; I am fine with a lot of control being in the digital display but I do think this is a little better than what the model 3 does, where almost everything is in the infotainment screen. That's minor stuff, ultimately they're both great and it seems like the Polestar 2 is a better experience for a little less range than the performance model 3, and at a slightly lower price, so I'm definitely leaning towards the Polestar

When I got to the Kia dealership they said that they didn't have any Niro EVs on the lot, so I couldn't do the sole thing that I came to do. It's not like I'm a walk in, I booked an appointment online to test drive the Niro EV specifically, and someone called me yesterday to confirm that that's the specific car that I wanted to test drive. We drove around in a standard Niro for awhile, it was fine. I don't really want a hybrid so I guess I'm not buying the Niro EV since Kia seems to not want to let me drive one.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

What's stopping someone from just hitting the big Frankenstein switch over the to neighbor's when they're sleeping or whatever?

Honor *unsheathes katana*

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MrPablo posted:

As a previous reply mentioned, a roof cargo box is probably not a good idea.

Loading the car down with stuff increases the mass, which increases the power needed to accelerate to a given velocity and increases the rolling resistance. Adding a roof cargo box increases drag (resistance due to wind).

Below are a couple of examples using handwavey math (e.g. ignoring the integrals and things like hills, cross wind, and motor efficiency).

Given:
P = maV
Fd = cr * m * g + 1/2 * cd * r * A * V2
P = FV
E = PT

Where:
  • P: Power (W or kg*m2/s3)
  • m: Mass (kg)
  • a: Acceleration (m/s2)
  • V: Velocity (m/s)
  • Fd: Drag force (kg*m/s2)
  • cr: Rolling resistance coefficient (typically 0.006-0.015)
  • m: Mass (kg)
  • g: Gravity (9.8 m/s2)
  • cd: Drag coefficient (Typical: ~0.3, Model 3: ~0.23, pre-2021 Model S: 0.24)
  • r: Air density (1.2 kg/m3)
  • A: projected frontal area (m2 roughly the exposed frontal surface area of the vehicle)
  • F: Force (kg*m/s2)
  • E: Energy (Wh)
  • T: Time (s)

Ignoring drag, we can calculate the power needed to accelerate from to a given velocity using the first formula. A Model 3 LR AWD (4072 lb = 1842 kg), taking 10 seconds to accelerate from 0 to 60mph (26.8224 m/s) works out to:

P = maV = 1842 kg * 2.6824 m/s2 * 26.8224 m/s = ~132521 kg*m2/s3
= ~133 kW
E = PT = ~133 kW * 10 s / (3600 s/h)
= ~370 Wh

Adding an extra 100 pounds (45.3592 kg) increases the mass to 1842 + ~46 = 1888 kg:

P = maV = 1888 kg * 2.6824 m/s2 * 26.8224 m/s = ~135830 kg*m2/s3
= ~136 kW
E = PT = ~136 kW * 10 s / (3600 s/h)
= ~378 Wh

Drag is trickier, but if we assume a constant velocity of 60mph (26.8224 m/s), reuse the same car (cd: 0.24, assuming A = ~2 m2), and plug that into the second and third formulas, we get:

Fd = cr * m * g + 1/2 * cd * r * A * V2 = 0.015 * 1842 kg * 9.8 m/s2 + 0.5 * 0.23 * 1.2 kg/m3 * 2 m2 * (26.8224 m/s)2
= ~270.7 kg*m/s2 + ~198.6 kg*m/s2
= ~ 470 kg*m/s2
P = FV = 470 kg*m/s2 * 26.8224 m/s = ~12588 kg*m2/s3
= ~12.6 kW

Adding an empty cargo box increases the projected frontal area (A) and drag coefficient (cd). If we assume the empty cargo box increases A by 0.5 m2 from 2 m2 to 2.5 m2 and cd by ~25% from 0.24 to 0.3, we get:

Fd = cr * m * g + 1/2 * cd * r * A * V2 = 0.015 * 1842 kg * 9.8 m/s2 + 0.5 * 0.3 * 1.2 kg/m3 * 2.5 m2 * (26.8224 m/s)2
= ~270.7 kg*m/s2 + ~323.7 kg*m/s2
= ~594.5 kg*m/s2
P = FV = ~594.5 kg*m/s2 * 26.8224 m/s = ~15947 kg*m2/s3
= ~15.9 kW

We can counteract increased drag from our empty cargo box by driving slower:

V2 = (~470 kg*m/s2 - ~270.7 kg*m/s2)/(0.5 * 0.3 * 1.2 kg/m3 * 2.5 m2)
V = sqrt(~199.3/0.45 m2/s2) = 21.0290 m/s
= ~47 mph

There are studies which talk about this in more detail (with sometimes confusing results), but in general anything that increases the drag coefficient (cd) will dominate at anything above moderate speeds.

Nothing above is EV-specific, but EVs have less energy capacity than ICEVs (because batteries are expensive and heavy, and because EVs much more efficient than ICEVs), so the effect is more pronounced.

Edit: Fix typos.

Come on Paul we're just asking you to put in your share of the tip, we just had a nice lunch why do you always do this

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lol thank you mods for the title honors

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Just out of curiosity, how does Tesla handle test drives? I haven’t done a ton of test drives (of ICE cars) in my life, but the few I have done have been all over the place. Some places insist that the guy goes with me and we just drive around the block, other places just toss me the keys and tell me to be back in a couple hours.

I’m not in a place to actually buy anything until probably spring 2022 at the earliest, but I would like to give the Y a spin and see if it gets the wife approval or not.

I test drove a model 3 a few weeks ago, the dealer shows you the relevant options, has you adjust the mirrors and seat, and then asks you to come back by a specific time. My appointment was for 30 minutes but the dealer just said to bring it back by 5

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah even if you don't have any kids or other big deductions/credits, married filed jointly doesn't hit $7500 in taxes until around $90k annual income. Median household income is more like $60k. The vast majority of Americans are nowhere close to being able to reap the full tax credit of an EV purchase, and there are some very affordable EVs these days that you can buy on a loan while paying practically no interest.

But I still think that $7500 capped is better than the hypothetical $3000 uncapped that some other goon proposed, that would make no sense

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't know what's going on with used car prices but it looks like I can sell my 2020 Model 3 privately and get a 2021 Model 3 with the heat pump and all that jazz while only taking a 2k hit on depreciation thanks to the federal incentive. The power liftgate and other improvements are fine but that heat pump would be really nice for Canadian fall/winters. Normally I would never entertain selling a 1 year old car but this situation is pretty unique and kind of nuts. The only thing that might stop me is that it's a pain in the rear end to sell a car privately up here.

Unfortunately, new Tesla purchases in the US no longer qualify for our federal incentive, and that helping push me to get a Polestar 2 instead. What's the Canadian incentive look like?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I need to wait a month before purchasing a car anyway, and I was planning on getting a Polestar 2. Is it worth just waiting for the 2022 model to come out? I am... not knowledgeable enough to interpret these car and driver articles describing the differences, and I haven't found info on when the 2022 model will release

The thread was talking about heat pumps earlier, and apparently the 2022 model will be adding a heat pump that Polestar says can increase range by up to 10%.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Charles posted:

I forgot, what's your winter climate like? If anything other than California or unless it's very very cold the whole time I'd lean toward the heat pump. That's just my opinion

Pacific northwest. I didn't fully grasp the discussion on the pros and cons of heat pumps from earlier but it seems like a pretty good idea to have one

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

I dunno, MSRP limits are hard to argue against. Yes they're counterproductive if your goal is to get as many EVs into the hands of as many people as possible, but there's always the argument that if you can afford a Model S, you don't need government assistance. It could be set a little higher, but there's probably a reason the model Y starts at $39,990 US. In Canada, trim packages that boost the price past the MSRP rebate limit don't count against you, so you can max out the option list as long as the model is on the list. The income limit is pretty arbitrary though, because it locks out a whole lot of bay area Henry's earning 6 figures and living in bedsits, as well as being completely gameable by the wealthy self employed/incorporated.

It's easy to argue against msrp limits, your second sentence effortlessly gives a really good argument against them. If the goal is to speed up ev adoption then the incentive should exist for all prices and manufacturers, with no limits (yes, get rid of the manufacturer limit too, let Tesla buyers back in). If it's specifically to help lower income people afford an ev then instead of an individual rebate we need to reimburse dealers who apply the discount directly to the sticker price

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jesus christ and it's not even just a little worse than natural gas, that's like a full 20% greater greenhouse gas footprint. So with blue hydrogen a little bit of the CO2 is captured in exchange for emitting way more methane than natural gas. Sweet

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Big companies like BP have been investing in green hydrogen infrastructure!

... so that they can more effectively sell blue hydrogen, e.g. It is a greenwashing tactic

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cruft posted:

I think it would spur everyone into action quicker if things got worse in a hurry.

Anyway.

I'm charging in Albuquerque again, and predictably, i had to wait. Also there's this:

While I appreciate the sentiment, this is not a good look.

This is a very "maybe the building manager will hurry up on installing fire sprinklers if I burn down the whole building" sort of post

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wayne Knight posted:

Then the map data should cover this case, and if everyone is relying on it to be accurate, there will be more incentive to keep the speed maps accurate.

I'm just tired of having people ride my rear end when I'm doing 10-15 over (and I have to do 10-15 over to not die). Driving is so needlessly aggressive these days. If the speed limits aren't sufficient, we should change them. Regardless, we should enforce them, and not sell people cars based on their ability to go speeds far higher than an untrained driver ever should.

Oops a bug in the software made your car pull speed limit data from somewhere in the Arctic Ocean, it wasn't able find any speed limits for that region so it returned a value of 0. Thankfully some developer decided that the minimum should be 10, but that doesn't help much when you're on an LA Freeway. You think "at last, there's a speed limit sign up ahead" but it has graffiti on it, causing the car to misread it as a -60.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

This reminds me of the fact that Japan's space agency lost a billion dollar orbital x-ray observatory (Hitomi) to a software patch changing the sign of a variable. Well, lost isn't quite right, they know exactly where most of the pieces are

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wayne Knight posted:

You shouldn't have to move over if you're doing the speed limit, since there is no way anyone could legally pass you.

It sounds like you're saying that people following the law are a problem because they make people who break the law mad. Why do we placate dangerous drivers so much? If everyone drives 80, make the speed limit 80. But send tickets to anyone going >=81.

Defensive driving requires that you do a lot more than assume everyone is following the letter of the law, hth

Refusing to let others pass you creates a problem because you are refusing to create safer driving conditions out of a feeling that speeders need to be punished. But your job is not to punish speeders, it's to drive safely, and that means pulling into the right lane to let others pass you

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 19, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just read this article about the 2022 Polestar 2, which comes with a single-motor option and a heat pump option. It seems... really good? Apparently the single motor option matches the Model 3 in range and starts at $45900, which may beat the Model 3 depending on how much of the federal tax credit you can claim. I test drove the 2021 model about a month ago and really really liked it, it felt much better than my test drive with the Model 3 (which was also great, just not as good)

I want to thank whatever goon recommended that I wait. The website is accepting orders on the 2022 now, with deliveries scheduled for November

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Not with all the options you're adding lol. If you want power seats, a heat pump, and adaptive cruise control, there's 7.2k in options.

Sure, at those prices I was just talking about base models. I think the heat pump is probably worth it, that's $4k and comes with power seats and a bunch of other stuff.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yeah but like...if you're looking to get a better deal than the model 3, those are all standard features on the model 3 aren't they? I mean if I was looking at that price range, I would consider it over a model 3 anyways just because I don't care for a lot of tesla "features". I guess it comes with power seats standard just not power recline or something and maybe not memory settings

Also, the WA sales tax thing cuts off at 45k sale price so that's another couple thousand

Sure, but then the Polestar has door handles instead of buttons and it's hard to put a price on all of that kind of stuff. I also found that the handling and comfort were simply better

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

People comparing top acceleration stats for their commuter car is a little silly, I grant that. Taking 0.2s longer to go from 0 to 60 is pretty meaningless unless you're literally racing

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wolrah posted:

Exactly. There are a few clips out there of people avoiding getting rear ended while stopped due to traffic by using EV acceleration to get on the shoulder or otherwise get out of the way. I'm sure that ability is even more important to two-wheelers when some dipshit doesn't see them.

Quick acceleration is definitely a safety feature in any situation where forward is the safest way out.

Where to draw the line between useful and just there for fun is obviously subjective, but some people here are acting like no one has ever floored the accelerator for reasons other than their own entertainment.

Okay but the original topic in which "safety" was raised wasn't about acceleration in general, which is high across the board for EVs. It was in the context of nerds comparing 0-60 acceleration stats and being like "well this car is better because it can reach 60 mph 0.2 seconds faster than this other car" and constantly slamming hard on the accelerator regardless of whether it's safe or reasonable to do so

No one's saying that EVs need to have their acceleration decreased or whatever, someone was just making light-hearted fun out of car bros

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Speleothing posted:

I was saying just that.

Sorry I meant to say no one *who counts* was saying that. That opinion is dumb as hell so you don't get a vote

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 25, 2021

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

2022 edition Polestar 2 order placed. Scheduled for November :toot:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bea4FS-zDzc

Tesla door handle design evolution. It's a much more interesting video than the description

What I don't understand is why the door opens with a button on the inside but a handle that needs to come out from the door on the outside. You'd think that a button on the outside would be much easier to implement while still giving you a flush exterior

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Orvin posted:

I get free L2 charging at work, so I keep my max setting at 90% at work. I get down to about 85-86% by the time I get home. I then have my home setting to max out at 70%. I don’t usually bother to plug in at home, as I don’t often dip below that 70% threshold to start taking in power at home. But if I am off for a longer period of time, or I have been running a lot of errands, I will.

Hell, if it's only 5% for you to go to or from work it'd probably be better to set your work max to 80% and your home to like 50%.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

As someone who doesn't know a lot about EVs, is this a tongue in cheek thing or will some future update really make the vehicle faster?

It's a real possibility, see the comments on the Model 3 firmware updates from the last page or so. It's not guaranteed, though

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

How many garages don't ever get freezing cold or blisteringly hot?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wayne Knight posted:

Mine's pretty good. I insulated the garage door and it tends to stay within a pretty good range of our mild PNW weather.

I think that's probably key, I haven't seen many insulated garage doors but now I'm wondering if I need to insulate mine (it's heavy wood at least, so at least it's somewhat insulating)

Like the PNW just saw a summer where outdoor temperatures exceeded 45 C (113 F) multiple times. Who knows whether that's the new normal

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cruft posted:

Also garages in Hawaii

I grew up in Phoenix and don't think that I ever saw a single garage that was anything other than an oven in the summer. A lot of carports too

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Looks like the only service locations are in NYC, LA, SF, and San Jose. I'm in OK so unless they put one in Dallas, Denver, or KC that sort of cuts me out. Sucks because my old car is nearing the end of its life. If I could squeeze another year or 2 out of it I'm sure the landscape will be different then.

They have a lot more service points now, here's the full list. There's one in Denver

https://www.polestar.com/us/service-and-assistance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What's the word on domestic level 2 charging in the US? Any particular products to avoid or recommend? With a garage I feel like installing a 240V outlet is probably more versatile than a hardwired cable but would like to hear other opinions!