Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Shamino posted:

Even the Fiat 500e or Mitsubishi imeev?

These are both perfectly suitable for bringing small amounts of people/things short distances and finding parking spaces to fit into in European cities. The iMiev even has chademo. Also they are real cheap used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

DC fast charging at home would be an extremely niche thing. Most cars have onboard charging capable (with sufficient power input) of charging 0-100% in less than 8 hours, which is all you need. The only exception I could see would be stopping at home for a lunch break while being a taxi driver, in which case you can't afford home DCFC. A second car to swap to in the middle of your workday would be cheaper and more practical than home DCFC once you take all the costs into consideration.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

So the British press release on Nissan's new CUV said the big battery option will support up to 22kW AC three phase. This is consistent with what Tesla offers on their big battery models (the S and X), and will fill it from empty to full in ~4 hours. It also points out that if nations or states want to support mass EV adoption they need to regulate for three phase availability in residential zoning.

Makes me wonder what onboard charging would look like on Rivian's proposed 200kWH model.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Desiderata posted:

Why is there so little interest in / discussion about about the Jaguar I-pace? Whenever I look at the specs of these things the I-pace seems to stack up well, and while on the pricier side of things having sat in one - the drive is great and the interior is quality. They look handsome and I've seen more than a few around here in the UK. But I understand they just don't seem to sell in the US, why is that?

I mean I certainly get that the infotainment system isn't as shiny as a Teslas. Though the new 2020 model updates that. Is it just British manufacturing has that bad a reputation? (though I understand it is actually built on the continent)

Its range is decent. It's decently quick. But like the E-Tron it has pretty poor efficiency, and unlike the E-Tron it doesn't reserve significant capacity up top so it doesn't charge very quickly in the way that matters, range/time. It's supposed to be a luxury long-range EV crossover but doesn't support it with deliberate quick charging design decisions (like the E-Tron) or charging network (like Tesla model X) so it doesn't fulfill its premise.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Cars with battery thermal management will keep their batteries in spec temperatures when parked, especially when plugged in.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

That's the first time I'm even hearing that they're bringing the Mach-E to the Europe. The Mustang brand just isn't much of a thing outside of car nerds so I'm wondering what their angle's going to be. Well probably "electric CUV buy buy buy!" and dump all of them in Norway.

And we'll buy them, now that it seems sales tax is coming back for EVs in the not too distant future (1-3 years).

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Way back when I bought my leaf the salesman told me the 12V got "topped up" every time it was plugged into shore power, in addition to charging from the traction battery and solar panel. He was a car salesman, though, so probably lying.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Hexigrammus posted:

Do you have a source for that? It makes sense, but the owner's manual seems to indicate otherwise. I assume this procedure is to protect the traction battery then? :shrug:

Yes, long term storage procedures for EVs are all about protecting the traction battery. That procedure explicitly had you discharge the traction battery to "two bars", whatever that means, and the traction battery won't maintain the 12V when it's below 40%. This was probably chosen to coincide with this storage discharge so you don't drain down the traction battery in storage.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

You don't even need 30 minutes, 5 would do plenty to widen that margin of error on a Kona or Niro or similarly ranged car. Less hard on the battery too.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Legislators aren't working to outlaw fossil fuels right now. That should change. That doesn't mean the individual can't contribute by making fossil fuel extraction slightly less profitable by not using it for personal transportation.

It isn't one or the other; you don't get to say "these larger entities are doing nothing, therefore I don't have to do anything either".

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

time value of money is loving you the whole time.

:capitalism:

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I'd feel embarrassed about having an electric car with "turbo" on it. (Unless someone invents a better heat pump that is turbo charged)

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

No, no, tax breaks are not the government subsidising an industry. That would mean the government subsidises all industries to some extent! That's not OK; in America hard working John Galts don't accept government handouts! Tax credits for EVs to private persona are a subsidy, though. Private individuals don't deserve tax breaks like corporations do.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Bandire posted:

Yeah I misunderstood what he meant and had to do more googling. I assumed he meant putting the displaced cells in the seat base rather than extending the battery module further back. Is this only on the Taycan at this point? EV packaging and design it still kinda new territory, so it may just be that no one else has had the time to steal it from Porsche yet.

The Leaf has had this forever though?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

sanchez posted:

New Tesla’s are 11+ kw still. But, I think the practical difference between 6kw charging at home and anything faster is pretty minimal, can’t imagine very many situations where fast home charging would help you out but a quick stop at a dc charger wouldn’t make more sense.

- Charge during dinner before dropping kids off at (activity).
- Charge after work before going to (social occasion).
- Friends can stay a little longer when visiting because they don't have to budget in a fast charging stop on the way home.

All of these opportunities are charging when the car is parked anyway, rather than charging when you would rather be traveling and forcing you to wait. Quicker home charging enables more activities with less total battery capacity (and therefore cheaper and lighter car).

I realise COVID makes most of these irrelevant, but let's hope the world returns to something like normal, then they could happen.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Ola posted:

Even during normal times, those will rarely happen. Unless:

- You arrive home with zero range and hurriedly have to eat dinner before driving the kids to somewhere that's farther than 6 kW * 0.75 hr / 0.3 kWh/mile = 15 miles round trip. Just plan a tiny bit better and you'll arrive home with 50+ miles remaining next time. Your kids deserve it since it was apparently an important away game.
- Your commute is 260 miles so naturally you arrive home empty from work.
- Your friends live as far away as your work so naturally they will want to maximize the time spent on such a presumably rare visit.

In real life, 6 kW is plenty.

Yes, because everyone is comfortable driving down to 0 range. I drove a leaf for four years. 6 kW is not plenty. Faster home charging gives more flexibility.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

As I understand it, EV coolant systems are typically sealed (and many will run in heating mode to keep batteries at an operable temperature when it's very cold). It's probably only practical to check the coolant if you have the work space and array of tools typically found at a professional mechanic's shop.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

priznat posted:

Given my playstation experience I would fully expect the car to stop working for upwards of a couple hours as it downloads and slowly installs a patch that enables a photo album in the infotainment system you will never use (still salty about this kind of stuff from my ps3 days)

For my experience with media apps on the PS4, the infotainment system will slowly fill up with sponsored apps over time, making it more and more difficult to access the map software you want.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Shai-Hulud posted:

I got the optional CCS plug so it could do up to 40kw/h.
I got more like 20 kw/h on that one charge though because it's 2 C outside so not exactly ideal conditions.

Please use correct units. kW is like horsepower, you don't say horsepower/h. kWh is like amount of fuel, so you get 20 kWh/h. The hours cancel out. You charge at 20 kW.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Right, but I thought that was about the triples, and the i-Miev isn't one of them, while Ago is. But maybe I'm dumb and missing something.

There are several sets of cars called "the triplets", the i-Miev is in one of them.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Do we have any demonstration how Tesla will impliment touchscreen only P/R/D? Kinda want to see it for myself before making much more comment.

Regardless of how it's implemented on a touch screen, it will be worse than being able to select d/r without taking your eyes away from, say, a busy parking lot. Or a kindergarten pick up / drop off zone.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

in what possible universe are you engaging your turn signal with the wheel inverted? this is a fake problem.

Going around a small roundabout, signalling that you're leaving at the following turnoff. I do this every day.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

DoomTrainPhD posted:

At a minimum Tesla super chargers and your car would both need to support ISO15118 for that to work.

In the EU, all supercharger stations have CCS plugs for the model 3. As a bonus, that means model 3s can charge on any CCS fast charger as well as on the supercharger network, no adapter needed.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

My Energica Ego struggles to get that efficiency so no way.

Even half-faired bikes like the Energica Ego don't have great aerodynamics. You need an enclosed fairing designed only for efficiency to achieve good aero on a motorbike.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

As far as whether we are stacking theoretical failures...well that’s the same thing you’re doing to argue that you need a mechanical backup in spite of having multiple independent sensors, data and control paths.

Loss of power requires 1 failure.

pun pundit fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 27, 2021

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Darchangel posted:

I think you mean “loss” of power, and if so, you and I are talking about the same thing.

Yes, that was phoneposting with swyping and I should have learned that is not a great combination.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I want to sell my model 3 before it becomes 4 years old, but the charging network will be hard to give up, even here in Norway. A Hyundai or iD3 are high on the list of replacements, depending on what the fabled 2.1 software is like in practice.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

This seems like an interesting process for manufacturing solid state batteries.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

E: never mind

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I'm Norway the range extender i3 is a non starter because only pure EVs get the massive benefits that make them so popular here.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

LibCrusher posted:

Can someone explain why the ID.4 is more appealing than the Bolt?

Currently it's arduous to get a Bolt in Europe (you have to import it, there's no easy parts or dealer support) so it's pretty unappealing to Europeans.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Bud Manstrong posted:

Hello. We’re thinking about buying a 2018 Leaf. We drove one the other night and enjoyed it. It seems to be perfect for our use case, which is a 13 mile (round-trip) commute every day and around-town Stuff. We’ve got another car for road trips and non Leaf-appropriate things. We’d be charging it off a 120V outlet for the time being, but we’d run a 240V line to the garage, and there are several Level 2 chargers within a mile of our house. I’ve read a bit about it, but I’m wondering if there’s a good Idiot’s Guide somewhere for this car and/or any quality of life issues I might not know about unless I’d owned one for a while. Any reason we shouldn’t go ahead (or red flags to look for) on a 2018 Leaf with 18k miles and a clean Carfax?

What climate has it been in, and what climate are you in? The leaf has very poor to nonexistent battery cooling, so if it's very hot the battery will degrade at an accelerated rate. The leaf has a decent (7 year IIRC) battery warranty, so you should be good with a 2018 one for several more years, but it's something to keep an eye on.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

The energy consumption during oil extraction and refining is conveniently skipped over, then?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Here in Norway, insurance won't cover it if you habitually charge on Schuko and your house burns down from an electrical fault, unless you have installed a DC protection device on the circuit you charge the car from. Check similar clauses in your own jurisdiction if you charge an EV from a household plug on a regular basis.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

cruft posted:

What the hell?

The Livewire. A project that could have helped bring Harley into the future, but then they switched CEOs and now they mostly sell leather vests again.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Great news for Mach-E and F150 lightning customers! https://www.motor1.com/news/506493/ford-billboard-scanning-tech-patent/

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Anyone have good resources about living with an ev with a cold climate season?

There are plenty of people in this situation in this thread. If you have specific questions about that, just ask them. I lived with a 24kWh Leaf in Norway for four years without home charging, and now have a model 3 LR.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

I asked about leasing vs. buying a week ago and everyone basically said "poo poo's a little weird right now so leasing is as good as buying". Back in May, you yourself said to lease everything except Tesla--what changed?

The difference is the intent to keep the car, rather than lease or buy a different car.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

For street parking, a solar roof would counter battery drain from needing to cool the battery on very hot days, and also the constant tiny drain from running the car's internet connection ready to turn on the AC at the press off an app button. Nice perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

Charles posted:

Leafs used to

As someone in this thread (or one of the predecessors) found out when leaving their car in the garage for a while, coming back to a dead 12V battery.