Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I want an EV/PHEV minivan/large crossover that isn’t chrysler or model X $$$ so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yah I see a lot of Soul EVs around in BC.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Even though I would never be able to drive a mach e like that for a whole host of reasons that commercial made me want one bad.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Marking up tellurides while giving 0% 84 month deals on stinger GTs smdh

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

shockingly things that people want to buy command a higher price

I want a stinger I just don’t need one :haw:

Tellurides seem pretty nice, the extra room over my sorento would be good for fitting car seats better.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

stevewm posted:

It's the same with GM's electric offerings.

If you have a Volt, Bolt, or Spark EV. Only certain dealer service departments will touch them. I think this also applies to some of their hybrid offerings.

This is one of the main reasons I haven’t looked more into a pacifica phev, the dealerships near me are almost solely dodge ram 1500 maintenance depots.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

drat I priced out a polestar 2 and that poo poo is expensive in Canada at about 83k CAD after taxes. :sigh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

James Bond lotus submarine tesla when

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Big Taint posted:

I feel there’s a Tesla build-quality joke in there somewhere

Leaky seals! Nooooo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Back when I was growing up leases were always seen as a terrible idea unless you could write it off for work reasons, but is that not the case now with how pricey cars have gotten?

I must say there is an appeal to me to be able to just hand the keys over after 3 years and pay about the same I would have making finance payments.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yuns posted:

If anyone can beat Tesla on bad build quality it will be Lotus.

Is lotus still british? If so it’s a slam dunk :britain:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Companies should go to remote driving that is actually done by operators outsourced to whatever country like how they can remote control predator drones. Just get em some logitech wheels and pedals and a fast internet connection.

dear god no but I bet this is already been looked into and patented

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

unlike with drones where there's an increase in capability with having a remote operator (you get long loiter times and relatively low risk to operator casualties), there's basically no advantage and the costs are extremely high

I know, it was a terrible idea but I am sure some suit looked at onstar etc and said “hmm, but what if we..”

Latency alone would make it completely unworkable.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it just loving depresses me when like yesterday i go to pull out on to the main street and fifty monochromatic cars go by before i see a splash of color

:same: I used to be a plain colour guy until I got a bright red bmw wagon and it was really the best and I just loved walking up to a bright loud coloured car. Now I’ll only get the funkiest colour available for a given car although sadly options can be limited.

I wanted a focus st in that tangerine scream colour so bad. Or the bolt in the electric green.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I saw this on Ars and am pretty excited:

Everything we know about Hyundai and Kia’s new electric vehicle platform

With new models showing up for Kia and Hyundai in 2021.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kia please make an EV Stinger with similar performance tyvm

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

It'd be better brilliant to overcome the fact that you have to buy it from a Kia dealer!

The one I bought from was pretty good, apart from the constant need to do surveys that must be 5/5 or the heavens will split asunder with the wrath of terrible gods.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bandire posted:

I think the stupid poo poo survey thing is pretty much all dealerships now.

Figures, it seems like something that would just become mandatory. It's so dumb because scaring anyone into giving anything other than a perfect score renders it essentially useless.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I am extremely interested in the mach-e GT but I am guessing it will be unobtanium and I refuse to pay above msrp for a car anyway.

But drat I think I saw a photo of one in what looks like that tangerine scream colour from the focus st?? Hell yes.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I like the hyundai/kia fake solid grills with the charging port, it looks extremely cyberpunk 2077 :haw:

That said I would probably prefer the port on the side either at the rear corner or in front of the front door like the pacifica.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I hated it when BMW went nuts and hosed up their numbering scheme.. the 6 series are large 2 doors, goddammit!! What’s this 4 door fastback bull poo poo?!?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

:stare: drat I love that colour. I would be so down for the GT.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I want an EV that plays the angry drone noises from Oblivion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEby9OkePpg

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I didn't know before that Rivian was doing an SUV - what has been keeping other manufacturers from doing larger EVs like that, is it battery/motor limitations?

Those R1S look really nice but probably a bit too spendy for me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

It always fucks me up when I go to the States and the card reader at the pump makes you put in a zip code, which I don't have, and it's always this ah drat the pump won't pump, oh yeah because I have to go inside and pre-pay, and it's a rental car so I have no idea how big the tank is, and gas is a weird price so I have no idea how much it will cost to fill it. So I go in and I'm like uhh fifty...? dollars on pump *crane neck over* 5 please, and they look at you like you're some simpleton because you said please and didn't pull a gun on them, and I tell them it's cuz I'm from Canada, eh, and it ends up only costing $7 to fill the whole tank, and then I need to go back inside and get the receipt when I'm done.
And God forbid its after sundown and you have to do this whole transaction through a tiny grille in a 6" thick block of bulletproof glass.

Lol I have this exact same experience whenever I would go to SF once a year for a conference. Apparently there is a zip code you can use for canada as well?

Almost seems worth doing the prepay rental car gas thing (fuckit, company’s money!)

Can’t wait for EV rentals to be a thing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Is there any reason why Toyota doesn't go plugin hybrid? I saw the 2021 Sienna minivan is a hybrid now, but doesn't look like a plugin option. I don't usually consider toyotas anyway though because their dealerships are nightmare to deal with and they don't deal for poo poo.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

VikingofRock posted:

The Prius Prime is a plug-in, as is the Rav 4 Prime.

Oh interesting, I guess they will start with a couple models and roll it out to more then.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Given my playstation experience I would fully expect the car to stop working for upwards of a couple hours as it downloads and slowly installs a patch that enables a photo album in the infotainment system you will never use (still salty about this kind of stuff from my ps3 days)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

There were probably technical limitations at the time with just dropping the EV stuff into a 3 series chassis, and even more likely bmw probably wanted to keep it separate for marketing reasons. That’s my wild unsubstantiated guesses :haw:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was surprised when Toyota started using that style beyond the Tacoma. The Tacoma is understandable as it is for boy-men, but it seems too aggro for the rav4.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kind of disappointed the new Kia Sorento Hybrid isn't a plugin.. also not available in AWD.. and why 2nd row captains chairs only? Hopefully by 2022 they have some good EV/PHEV options to trade in my 2016 sorento for.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I would way rather get a minivan but I don’t like the limited options so will probably get a larger crossover like the telluride but an EV/PHEV next time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I rarely do highway driving but when I do I also like the (kia) ACC. I missed out on collision avoidance (it sounds alarm but doesn’t auto brake) and lane keeping by a model year or two but I feel ACC is the nicest option anyway.

So many geegaws are now things I don’t think I could do without anymore like around view cameras and powered rear hatch.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Does Tesla use plastic that will crack if you so much as raise your voice? If not then BMW still reigns (?!) supreme.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

Still a more effective method than BMW

That’s on the BMW drivers tho

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Voice controlled shifting, coming soon!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Which will happen first, being able to say “engage warp drive” or “punch it chewie!” to change to drive mode in a tesla?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I was next to a new Model Y at the park parking lot today- they come with continentals? Ew.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Humerus posted:

When is the big Kia electric car event? I saw their "teaser" a few weeks ago and the full reveal is in February but nothing actually says when...It looked like one of the cars was a compact hatch and I'm very interested in that.

Same but for a larger crossover/van! Looks like they are announcing quite the range of vehicles from that teaser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m EV-aspirational in that I’m hoping my next vehicle purchase in 2-3 years is one. It’s great keeping track of what’s new and also just getting impressions of people’s ownership of various models.

I do feel it sometimes gets a bit bogged down in model/feature specific debates like self driving sometimes but I just skim those parts so it’s not really a big deal.