Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

jackpot posted:

I need some help collecting my options.

- I live in Richmond, Virginia. Hot as hell in the summer, winters mostly in the 30s and 40s.
- My commute is short, ~20 miles per day, but
- I do semi-regular jaunts to northern Virginia, ~230 round trip.
- I'm not picky about style - sedan, suv, hatchback, whatever. I have to fit a growing kid in the backseat.
- I can charge at home.
- Budget is 30s to low 40s.

What I've been considering:
- Nissan Leaf Plus
- Hyundai Kona - it's not for sale in VA, which I'm ok with as long as it can be serviced somewhere local; I haven't found the answer to this yet.
- Hyunday Ioniq - same
- Tesla 3 - this is pushing the outside edge of what I can afford but quality-wise I feel like it's several steps above everything else. The stories around spotty quality spook me a bit.

I'm sure I'm leaving a bunch of alternatives out, what am I missing?

Why?
I've also been looking for a car on a similar budget. Based on our research and test drives, we're likely to close on a Hyundai Kona Electric 2022. Its range is 258 miles, much higher than most other non-Tesla EVs, and it doesn't have Nissan's lack of liquid cooling -- which would be awful for you during those hot summers. The $7,500 federal tax rebates are also still available for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Charles posted:

I haven't finished watching this yet 'cause I gotta go but.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNRCS9pFMHo
The interiors of the Kia EVs are so dark. Makes the car feel more cramped than it probably is.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love that the Ioniq 5 seems to be built for manspreading. Push that center console all the way back and hang loose.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Insane acceleration can be a kinda out of body experience. Watch my man Doug's O face here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qen0ZlZM0ZA&t=1915s

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Forcing Mazda to build the MX-30 probably ends up incentivizing the company to launch better EVs in the future. Surely some of the EV R&D doesn't go to waste.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hyundai's Kona EV 2022 seems widely available in Canada -- when doing our research, many of the videos were from Canadian dealers.

We ended up buying it after comparing all the available EVs. So far it's worked great. In its price range ($30k for the basic model post-rebates) it was clearly the best vehicle.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

When we were shopping a few months back, it was impossible to locate a single RAV4 Prime

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

VideoGameVet posted:

The Niro and Kona EV's share powertrains. The Niro has much more room, the Kona is easier to park. Apple Play is wired, calls are wireless (if need be).

My Niro has been very good and it exceeds the stated range even at higher speeds.
Not sure about the Niro but Kona has wireless Apple CarPlay.

Relatedly, still enjoying our Kona EV. The only thing we'd really like is Adaptive Cruise Control, which comes only with the top trim.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My detached garage has a 110v outlet. Recently the power went out and an electrician came to fix it. This wasn’t the cause of the original outage, but he did recommend not to charge my EV because the outlet wasn’t designed for EV charging. Should I be concerned at all?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is the Spotify app in Tesla cars designed by Tesla? I assumed it was maintained by Spotify.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nice article about the first, second and third life of EV batteries. They don’t go straight to recycling. Some are being used to power sports stadiums and even charging stations themselves.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/old-electric-vehicle-batteries-are-getting-a-second-life-11655114401

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fairly certain this is just one step from electric grill frunk

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

hobbez posted:

Hey friends. Considering making the electric switch. Currently the family fleet is only ICE.

Definitely trying to be cost conscious, looking at the cheaper end of EVs. Any thoughts on the Hyundai Kona? Seems like a pretty solid deal if you can capture the federal tax credit.
We drive one — the most basic model. It’s great! We regularly get equal to or more than the 250miles it’s supposed to get. The only reason I’d trade up from it is to get a longer range but the newer models mostly have around the same range, just more bells and whistles.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

When I tried to test drive the Kona EV I called the dealership to book an appointment, confirmed that it was the Kona EV that I'd be driving, and when I got there they told me that they actually don't even have the Kona EV and never have, "BUT HOW ABOUT WE PUT YOU IN THIS NICE TUCSON HYBRID INSTEAD???"

So Hyundai can suck the poo poo straight out of my rear end in a top hat as far as I'm concerned
Lots of poo poo dealers for Hyundai in my area as well But holy poo poo that’s an awful experience. I wouldn’t have held back from swearing at these jerkoffs.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Elviscat posted:

This is pretty cool, Seattle is going to start installing L2 chargers on demand for apartment dwellers https://www.seattle.gov/city-light/...urbside_opt_in-

Seattle's a good place to start, since the city has a pretty robust electric infrastructure, and lots of cheap hydropower.

It'll be interesting to see how bad problems with vandalism and such are.

Rate will be $0.20/kWh, which is about 1.5x the residential rate, and about half of what paid commercial J1772 chargers are in the area, so still a pretty good deal, and way way cheaper than gas at the moment.

E: replaced the lovely cleantechnica article with the official press release.
This is a whole lot of money thrown at car infrastructure. Imagine spending it on transit options instead. I love my EV but man this is a total waste of funds.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

That's not an exclusive option, they are also investing a shitload of money in transit options. I was just in the area and saw multiple new train lines being constructed, and there are apparently plans to add >20 new bus lines and to increase annual pass subsidies. That seems really good! At the same time, improving EV charging availability for people living in apartment complexes also seems really good
Residential street parking is already a leech on society. Public land gets used almost exclusively by homeowners for free while generating no social benefit. Free charger installations increase this waste and cement its normality.

Something like this should be targeted only at dense apartment complexes. Offering it to single-family homes is bad policy on top of bad policy.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think this trend will hold. Tesla will eventually open all its chargers to the rest of the population, and so will Rivian. They can’t walk away from all that charging revenue.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Ioniq 6 looks too normal imo. They pussed out after the 5.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why hasn’t someone designed thermoelectric generators for EVs yet. If my car is going to bake in the sun it might as well be charging my battery.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Under 40k? There are more options than that. Bolt EUV, Kona EV, Niro EV…

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The price range in that list is pretty big, so it might be better to start by narrowing down what you want and can afford. Range, adaptive cruise control, cargo space, passenger space are a few things that’ll whittle your list down pretty quickly, if you have any requirements or preferences there.

Also availability is gonna be a massive one too — it’s near impossible to find an Ioniq 5 in my area.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think there’s any lack of low-range city EVs; companies just aren’t choosing to sell them in the US. Honda e, Fiat 500…

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Here in Georgia Tesla's not allowed to hold more than 5 locations. 7 years ago my state had them limited to 150 sales per year.
Is this a dealership law thing or does Georgia have some gently caress You Tesla law

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Your wife must really floor the poo poo out of your ICE vehicle if the EV torque is freaking her out

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

We’re being a bit disingenuous here — it obviously isn’t just about the range but also about the availability and quickness of chargers/gas stations. We’ve been slightly dissuaded from a few road trips because of how our vehicle might struggle to find a charger on certain routes. It’s not a big deal for us but some people don’t like worrying about that sort of thing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fully sick

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s a literal lamp. What kind of costs are we even talking about?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Seems like that just means there’s a market for premium fast chargers where your cars are parked in a drive-in freezer and the chargers can go 350kw with no consequences.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Kirios posted:

I wanted an i3 but I couldn’t get over the look of it. It’s…unique to say the least. The only cars in my budget were really the eGolf, Bolt, Leaf and the i3. It’s only gotten more ridiculous since January.
Kona? Niro?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was at Yosemite last weekend and met this group of British tourists trying to figure out how it charge their Leaf at a ChargePoint station. We had trouble planning the trip for our non-CHAdeMO, 260-mile-range EV. I don’t know how these folks were managing it with their Leaf.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The sense band is such an insane gimmick I almost love it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I started driving in the US only about a year ago and I’ve been scared shitless by the sheer number of people I see texting while driving. It’s some kind of epidemic and I basically just drive with the assumption that no one else is paying any attention to the road.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve been worried for a while that using regen braking meant my brake lights weren’t turning on and it’d get me rear ended at some point. I finally googled it and realized that the lights activate based on deceleration speed, not brake method. It was a relief I guess but I also wish there was just a more reliable way of, like, talking to cars behind you.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think you need the screen to light up with a brake light indication but I do think the manufacturers generally haven’t communicated how brake lights work with regen braking. Brake lights are such an important signal on the roads and I think they could probably be speaking more to it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

300 miles of range means it outclasses most of the competitors in the sub-$40k price bracket. Even if it comes with a massive markup it might still be worth it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Facing a problem where my Kona EV occasionally refuses to connect to any phone via Bluetooth and you’ll have to turn off the car for, like, ten minutes and turn it back on to get CarPlay working again. If you turn it on sooner the car’s computer won’t have powered off because it stays in sleep mode for a while.

It seems like the problem is the car computer and I wish there was a way to just press restart like with literally any other electronic device. We’ve been in absurd situations where we’ve had to sit in a parking lot in 90 degree weather for ten minutes, just waiting for the computer to turn off.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Words are less scary than numbers. This is good for adoption.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If you haven’t seen many Doug videos it may seem odd but the dude is literally a golden retriever of car reviews, every little bitty quirky thing the car has is cool to him wether it’s been doing a thousand times before.
He’s excited about everything but isn’t ever so effusive with praise. This is the first video I’ve seen where he’s basically saying “this is the best car ever.”

That said it’s a $100k car. Of course it’s great. I also think no one really needs half the wild features that are jacking up this car’s price, and some of the inconveniences — like using the screen to adjust mirrors and the lack of blind spot cameras — are safety compromises I wouldn’t want to have if I were paying that much.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In driving school they taught me to adjust the mirrors when parallel parking :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I know swappable batteries aren’t a thing for various reasons but why havent they built like a battery pack you can carry in your trunk and plug it into your car via the charging port?