Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

Dealing with a Hyundai dealership is a REALLY high non monetary cost (in the US).
A poo poo car you drive every day, a poo poo dealer you maybe deal with a few days a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Three Olives posted:

Why? That is what I have, 29 days of PTO to use as I see fit which I normally combine with our 9 paid holiday days , I've never had any questions about it, you aren't even required to give an explanation for it unless it was not pre-approved and it is more than 2 days. I have some tenure extra PTO, but our base is 22.
Presumably their PTO isn’t as generous and they don’t like having fewer vacation days just because they’re sick.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Why can’t you just be open to the idea that someone might need a truck to transport a couch once every four years? :shrug:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Xiahou Dun posted:

How good are batteries at maintaining a charge if the car is just sitting there? How much difference does it make if it’s plugged in or not, and for L1 vs L2? Specifically for the Bolt, but I’m also just generally interested.

I’m going on a trip for a couple weeks and I need to decide where/how to leave my Bolt. I’m carpooling with other people to save on airport parking, so ideally I’d be leaving it at their place until we get back and then I can drive home from there. I could leave it plugged in at L1, I guess, but I’m more than a little leery of doing that for two weeks while I’m on another continent.

I’m over thinking this and can just park it mostly charged and be fine, right? It’s not for a bit so it should be warm by then. An ICE car would be fine and EVs are better so I must just be being paranoid.
I wouldn’t leave it plugged in unattended for long periods of time. It’s 99% safe but it’s not doing much good either. We left our Kona at 80% for two months unplugged in our garage. I’d do the same, maybe even at 60% or something, at a level even healthier for the battery.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

UI things that EVs still don’t get right:

1. 12V battery warning

2. Manual switch for preconditioning

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I kinda think they’d love the insane acceleration of EVs

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tesla just launched a version of the Model Y that has no rear seats. Only available in France for now.

https://electrek.co/2024/03/06/tesla-launches-model-y-2-seats-smart-business-solution/

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bone Crimes posted:

looks like Rivian has announced an 'R3' crossover/hatch as well

Photos of the actual car makes it seem so much longer, but it’s apparently shorter than the Model Y, at 186 inches. poo poo’s still too big.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Wait I’m looking at the article about the R2, not the R3. My bad.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think the R3 is coming out until like 2027. By then the EV market will be drastically different. Looks like a great car but it’s hard to be excited about something so far in the future.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Fisker is preparing to go bankrupt

https://www.wsj.com/business/autos/electric-vehicle-startup-fisker-prepares-for-possible-bankruptcy-filing-26e63d32

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Geely is one of the only car companies still doing business in Russia. Volvo is owned by Geely. If you buy a Volvo you are basically funding the Russian war machine.

I don’t mean to make a facile point like they’re all bad or funding war is worse than being a hateful personality. Just that it was a thing I thought about when deciding whether to put my deposit down on a Volvo EX-30.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Selling my car, do you think it’s okay if I keep the floor mats :ohdear:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Yeah, that's why all the oceans are on fire, genius :rolleyes:
Where do you think waves come from? Tiny explosions of sodium, duh.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Per posted:

Anyone know if you can toggle between adaptive cruise control and regular cruise control in the Kia EV6?
In what situation would you use regular over adaptive?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m surprised he said the quiet part out loud, that these pickup trucks are just toys for rich dudes who never need them for the hauling or towing capabilities.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

https://youtu.be/O0cs8aIXgkc

It ends with a comparison to the PT Cruiser lol.

None of this was new to me, posting only because the Cybertruck looks sick in that video. I recall gushing over the Ioniq 5 when I first saw it. Give us something different, automakers. Just different is good enough.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Two-screen Apple CarPlay looks quite good on the Prologue. You can briefly see it at 14:14.

https://youtu.be/_D70MCwwqZA

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The idea that this is all about Musk is just in your heads. It’s a whole-of-industry slowdown.

Maybe Tesla would have declined less without the bad press, sure, but you only need to see every other carmaker’s struggles to gain a sense of perspective on this.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are we doing this again? Should we post a list of every carmaker’s sins so we can find the most ethical car to buy? Not to downplay Musk’s deeds but I think this moralizing is only happening because no one’s bothered to research the other carmakers and their shareholders.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love that this goofy fratboy-looking dude is one of the better EV reviewers on YouTube and he’s in China of all places

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If you drive a new car every two years you’ve made the environment way worse than any EV purchase can ever offset.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My understanding is AWD doesn’t actually do much for snow driving

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Can we still talk about the guy that thinks financial impropriety and Nazis are equally as bad?
This is really tedious poo poo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s no way long detachable cables are the solution. The solution is people parking in weird orientations for the next 10 years until the industry standardizes on where to put the charge port.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

is there an FSD (Unsupervised)

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My wife almost got run over by a Cybertruck in her company’s parking lot. Giant trucks :mad:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Speaking of self driving, my Hyundai Kona only has regular cruise control so I couldn’t wait to try adaptive on my rental Toyota. It’s perfect. I think it’s safer than me driving the car by myself. It dealt perfectly with cars suddenly merging into my lane. It made a two hour drive so much less stressful.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Do you guys try to rent EVs when you’re in a different city? We’re visiting the Dallas-Fort Worth area and I was looking to use it as an excuse to try different makes of EVs on Turo. The area’s pretty sparse on non-Tesla fast chargers and there’s no L2 charging at our Airbnb, though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

MKBHD did a 12-minute vid and didn't even drive it lol
He has driven the car; he just doesn’t include driving footage. Which is fair; I don’t think Doug’s O faces have added anything for me.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Three Olives posted:

It starts at $65,400.00, I can't imagine why anyone would get that over the Lyriq which is nicer with a lower starting price unless you were super, super, super attached to the Acura brand. Which I am sure that there are some people that are, just doesn't seem like much of a market at that price point.
This looks better than the Lyriq imo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The reality about the Supercharger network is that it probably doesn’t need to be that good. The competitors are trash and soon it won’t even help sell Tesla cars anymore, since everyone will have access. Short of juicing government grant money, there’s not much reason for Tesla to invest heavily in it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZOjcfY2bqI

500e are hitting stateside, with a very barebone starter spec tho. I think not even fleet models didn't have adaptive cruise stock here.
This would be a dream car for us if not for the ridiculous price tag (starts at $32k) and the pitiful range (~150 miles). One or the other might be fine, but together there’s just no value proposition to this vehicle.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rode in a friend’s Rivian SUV, which was in red, a color I didn’t realize they have. My conclusion was it’s a nice car but less luxurious than I expected. There was a bumpy stretch and even at the cushiest setting it wasn’t very cushy. Maybe I just expected too much from a $90k car :shrug:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Cactus Ghost posted:

BigFactory laments that non-workers are no longer put in concentration camps
I’m not sure they said that

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mass layoffs are just a really direct way to fix your cost structure. Most of his wealth is in Tesla shares. The most direct thing he can do to boost his wealth is to can people and juice the share price.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Blue Moonlight posted:

The truth is that I just don’t understand any of it and can’t follow it to save my life. :sigh:
As someone who reads a lot about EVs, most of the posts in the last few pages made no sense to me. That’s probably on me though :v:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Volvo EX30 is made in China so this basically snuffs out one of the last remaining options for affordable EVs

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

There’s apparently a killer lease deal for Polestar 2s now. $299 a month. Being a Costco member will shave $2k off your fees. The 2024 model has a longer range (320 miles for the single motor, 270 for the dual) and uses a new drivetrain. Booked myself a test drive tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

I've been repeatedly assured that the US market overwhelmingly prefers large CUVs/SUVs, and that's the reason that most manufacturers don't even bother to make an EV sedan, so a Chinese manufacturer flooding the market with affordable sedans and wagons shouldn't worry our manufacturers at all... right?
They have cheap CUVs and SUVs too!