Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

RZA Encryption posted:

I wish I could buy a 2 door EV bronco

Me too. Even an ev with a range extender would be a ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Counterpoint? EREV hybrid trucks using ideas from the volt and locomotive industry.
Huge battery capacity under the deck, be it 5' homegamer or 20' box truck
small 2-3l generator engine coupled to a generator head. Onboard 80kW power supply, onboard range extender, etc.

Technically the lego exists now to be able to build such a thing in class 4-7 trucks.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does your Bolt have DCFC?
It'd make it easier to use as a road trip car if so.
Either way, a good overnight recharge option is campgrounds. bring your evse and camp in the car.
Fold the back seats down and you have a decent little camper with climate control*.

The price difference is basically negligible for a road trip car. Do you want to wait for the Bolt to recharge and mileout the car you have or throw gas at the problem?
I don't know what your trips entail, how far, or how fast. 1000mi/day is doable in the Bolt with DCFC.

*You might need to find some tricks to get hvac to stay on.
On the Volt it was putting a hair band on the gear knob to keep the button depressed after vehicle shutdown. Don't open the driver's door.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

I can't imagine the batteries required to move an RV over interstate distances.

cruft posted:

The Hummer pretty much figured this out for everyone. 200kWh, IIRC. At an RV park, that'd take what, 36 hours to charge?

https://www.blue-bird.com/buses/electric-school-buses
155kWh gets a 240km(150mi) range on this ev schoolie.
this is all medium/heavy duty truck hardware. Class-As are also built on medium/heavy duty truck hardware.

Eaton has a new fascinating electric drive axle utilizing some of the legacy parts that's coming into the heavy duty arena through Freightliner. https://freightliner.com/trucks/ecascadia
its rated at 475kWh and 400km(250mi) @ rated capacity which is 37k-kg(82k-lb)

With the tandem axle class-A RVs (mind you not tag) being rated for 27.8k-kg (48k-lb) gross, that affords a lot of battery.
The hummer is four tons with 200kWh.
9k-kg(20k-lb)** unladen base frame and body, 2.3k-kg(5k-lb) rv conversion. that leaves 10k-kg(23k-lb) for battery. Say without all the GMthiccness you can pack in 6 hummer battery modules. That's 800kWh.

** this is factoring the weight of the original medium duty engine/transmission.

Give it time. The RV industry is sometimes much like the vehicles themselves in that they're slow to respond. Electric campervans are starting to crop up partly because of the vanlyfe trend driving luxury appointments.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 19, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah alright this loving owns.

Now build us a 450 and i'll be buying one. If not, I'll build one from parts.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

sanchez posted:

That is model 3 range vs pricing more or less, but a truck. how is that possible..

Using an existing paid for ICE derived platform instead of a ground up new design.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

sanchez posted:

How about the Kia Niro EV then. Adding this vehicle to the $40k EV market is just bananas. It will need a battery at least 50% larger than the rest of the cars in that segment to hit those range figures.

Beats me I don't know poo poo about it. If you have some documentation on the ICE vs EV variants with exploded diagrams or cad drawings I'd be happy to pour over them.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
lol yeah you're not getting a Platinum for 40k. Vinyl bench, Incandescent headlights, and a huge frunk is in!

their mid tier at 55k might have XLT/King Ranch stuff going on with another priced above that for Platinum.

E: I've not priced out the 150 line lately, its a good 40-50k difference on the 450/550s between XL and Platinum.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 20, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Last time I was on a road trip I plugged into the supercharger next to a guy in a Model X. He looked stressed, but I didn’t think that much of it.

…Until after I unplugged and picked up the SO at the Whole Foods around the corner. The guy was pulling an airstream, and had to go to the Whole Foods, detach the airstream, go charge, go back to the Whole Foods and hook back up, and then deal with his wife and teenage daughter being frustrated with how long it was taking.

BEVs are amazing in town. Better than ICE vehicles as a daily driver, imo.

Towing is still very much the domain of the Otto and Diesel cycle. And that’s fine.

These logisitics shenanigans is largely why I didn't build a TT/5thwheel. Its tiring and stressful when its an extra half hour to unload, do stressful chorin in pandemic times, load back up, then hit the road. Nevermind adding an extra variable that would be charging which isn't always in the same parking lot.

It'll be a while before this kind of packaging will be seen at an ev station due to its enormous inefficiencies:

With a range extender it would totally be possible.
(not a whole foods but a trader joe's lot)

Pull through DCFC islands akin to what truckstops have laid out would work though it would not be any where near as fast as traditional fuel islands creating back log. About 10-15 years ago there was a system pushed for not idling tractors. It'd provide power, hvac, a basic linux computer, and some other features for a hourly price(Idle Air, TSE). A roll out of DCFC in that style would be more ideal as tractors/tow vehicles could fully charge overnight while having some amenities. Expect this kind of infrastructure to become a thing as Eaton begin to roll out EV trucks in the coming years.

E: quick back of the napkin kw math for the above setup. A gallon of diesel holds 40.7kWh of power. With the new 150's 150kWh pack that'd yield +/- 35miles of usable range. Drag is a drag.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 20, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

bird with big dick posted:

What percentage of the gallon of diesel is lost to waste heat

Up to 2/3 like

Seph posted:

You're not considering engine efficiency here. Diesel engines only convert about 30% of the fuel's energy into kinetic energy, the rest is lost as heat and sound. Electric motors are about 95%. So you need to 3x that range at least.

Is saying. I did a fast edit and uhh slipped on that one important step.

E: ugh what a poo poo snipe

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

VideoGameVet posted:

I want to haul a camper and run it off the batteries on this F150.

someone should do an ultra-light fiberglass slide-in that uses the truck's battery for everything

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Advent Horizon posted:

An electric stove would kill the battery in a hurry. I think biodiesel or bio-propane (is that a thing) stoves will have to fill that gap.

Would an electric resistance blanket be more or less efficient than a heat pump system, I wonder?

Induction cooktops are a known quantity now.
convection microwaves are too.

Heated blankets are possible on much much smaller capacity systems. (I've been using one throughout the entirety that is "winter"). Heat pump will drink power comparatively.

VideoGameVet posted:

There are all-electric trailer setups ... induction stoves, heat pumps etc. So this seems like a good possibility.

I’m thinking of an off-road pop-top or going for it and doing an airstream renovation.

Absolutely, its a segment growing by the day.
it'd have no problem powering a small pop up or airstream.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 27, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

In a hurry? 150 kWh could run my apartment for a week with cooking, laundry and hot water. A regular oven has a 2 kW heating element, you could run it for days and days. Even with an Ioniq 5 and a tent I wouldn't think twice about bringing one of these:

I basically live off grid using 3.6kWh of lithium battery with 900W solar. I run a heated blanket and numerous electric appliances. My systems capacity hasn't stopped me from waking up to coffee, using an instant pot or sous vide. When there's excess solar capacity I shunt it into the water heater.

E: cleaned up for clarification

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 28, 2021

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

to me the biggest difference is that one is real and one is not.

there's very limited sighting of Cybertruck being tested in the wild, versus Ford clearly has a bunch of prepro Lightnings assembled.

Precisely. The F150 is throwing down real world miles while the cybertruck is throwing down spreadsheet hype. 100% don't bet on those specs ever coming to fruition.

Almost like Freightliner versus Nikola.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zero One posted:

How is range impacted by a lift kit and 40" tires? :v:

40s on 425+hp will likely blow hubs/halfshafts.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
There's no traditional driveshaft to consider or compensate for which makes this a fair bit easier.

ifs/irs lifts have been a thing for 4 decades now. Drop the motor/gearbox housing with the control arms to preserve CV angles and its fine. The trailing arm rear suspension will be the limiter here. Assume longarm kits and the like rolling out within the next couple years.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Indiana_Krom posted:

Someone posted this video on Reddit of the new Tesla model S plaid steering yoke in a residential area:
https://osultan.smugmug.com/Cars/Refresh-Model-S/n-jF42tn/i-MqTr9SD/A

IMO looks bad, whats the point of a yoke if you have to turn it more than 180 degrees? Well, not that I was interested anyway (model S is way too expensive for me), but if I ever buy another Tesla I'll definitely be making sure it has a proper steering wheel option.

lol Tech company reinventing the wheel again.

This would be fine if it worked like the yoke of an aircraft. Variable ratio steering would make it possible. Yet the driver gets to trip over the yoke in executing basic maneuvering in native suburbia. Can't wait to see what happens when someone is carrying an Iphone 14 excess-max in one hand and the yoke in the other.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Fuckit, doing bikechat

I'm not getting the new one that just got announced, I'm going to get one of the last of the 2023's so I wont get the more gravel focused and slightly more powerful motor. I'm fine with more road focused and less assist, the present model already is plenty for a rider like me to let rip fast. The only real issue I had was the low speed limit for assist that I only really noticed on a earlier model Levo as the cut was really abrupt. On a new Levo (e-MTB) it's a softer cut and I tend to find myself riding at close to 30kph without really noticing the motor is no longer assisting.

The Creo above has a Planet3 speed sensor hack so it's more like 35 kph to no assistance and that makes it a reaaaally fast bike, gets me up to speed and I can just sit it at 38ish kph so thats something I intend to do as well as a battery extender for when I get mine.

This breed of pedal assist / torque add mid drive are brilliant bikes, being able to get out and ride hard isnt something I managed for a few years since I broke my collarbone in four places and it's been fantastic for my brain to get 80kph fast and sweating like crazy

(e-Bikes like the Creo dont make it easier, they just make it faster and in some respects are harder to ride fast because they are heavy. Still not as full bore quick as my analogue Venge at full send but very few bikes actually are)

I've ridden a few spezzy ebikes and they're brilliant machines. Even powered down with no assist I can ride the carbon creo at 20mph easier than my carbon mtb at 15mph...
Please do a update on your ownership experience. Thoughts on the regular tcu vs mastermind tcu? I haven't seen many failures of either system yet, just the early future shock. People seem to really love the e-assist system.
Here they're rated for up to 28mph/45kph without an unlock which is brilliant for commuting and other shenanigans.
Hilarity is that they make like half the torque of my liter sized dirtbike.

For the cost of a used leaf it's a much better buy than a leaf imo.

The "range extender" is this bottle shaped thing that goes in the cage that plugs into the charging socket. It's all 48V and doesn't seem to give a gently caress about the details like Coulomb counting. A selling point for me would be to buy the alloy then build a pop in battery that fills the frame triangle for a rude amount of range or towing capacity with duty cycle rivaling that of a superduty

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 3, 2023

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I would also like to point out that the EVSE is designed with substantial interlocks to prevent electric shock or driving away while in use. I am of course not a PE so take this with a grain of salt.

It starts with the plug proximity circuitry to initialize the system for charging and disable driving. Defeating this hardware results in risky operation that no sane electrician would attempt. Maybe try Gary and Grover general contracting.

The supply system then identifies the vehicle attached and its current requirements via the control pilot. It sets the current delivered by the supply.
This oversees even allowing hazardous potentials(I use this verbiage because of DC-FC) on the respective pins of the J1772 charge handle. Till then the charge handle is electrically dead to hazardous potentials. This is not something to just take lightly and delete. At minimum you'll kill yourself, at maximum yourself and a bus full of nuns.

Back to the plug present terminal of the charge handle. This connection is broken when the plug is removed. It's also mechanically linked to the release mechanism. This is mostly used to indicate the current capability(IEC 62196) of the cabling assembly and to facilitate the shutdown process of vehicle charging and to prepare the vehicle for driving. These aren't usually featured on low-current EVSEs.

So let's recap.

The EVSE signals presence of AC input power. (it's plugged in, or if it's on mains, already knows it has power)
The vehicle detects plug via proximity circuit (thus the vehicle can prevent driving away while connected) and can detect when latch is pressed in preparation for plug removal.
Control Pilot (CP) functions begin:
- EVSE detects the vehicle
- EVSE indicates to the vehicle readiness to supply current
- The vehicle ventilation requirements are determined
- EVSE current capacity provided to the vehicle
The vehicle commands energy flow
The vehicle and supply equipment continuously monitor continuity of safety ground
charge continues as determined by the vehicle
charge may be interrupted by disconnecting the plug from the vehicle

Saukkis posted:

Where do you even get such a cable? Does some company sell cables with J1772 in one end and a wall plug at the other, on do you need make the cable yourself?

It does not take much to initiate the handshake and request current on L1/L2 charging. A simple pwm timer can do it. There's some (pretty hokey and frankly dangerous) kits out there that do it for you. You'll need some ground fault monitoring and at minimum a solid state relay or two for AC-Mains. Fets or contactors with an economizer for DC-FC.

Imo this is outside the scope of this thread as we are now into aspects of electrical, electronics, and mechanical engineering that can have very lethal consequences even if everything went right on the first try.
I will not go into further details about its implementation or caveats.

So no, maybe don't gently caress with your charging equipment.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 29, 2024

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Twerk from Home posted:

They run off of 240V plugs, it's the voltage that those machines want.

Weird the one I used to help redo a buddy's place was 120V at like 12 Amps nominal.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

Maybe but I love my Volt's liftback design. Just looks so much cooler than the Bolt.

Same. Even car camped in it on long trips. If I can't have a wagon then this will do.

It was a good car, I'd own another Volt.
The gen1s need to get just a touch cheaper so I can do projects with one.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Indiana_Krom posted:

The other thing you can use to help counter the lithium mine argument is that lithium batteries are recyclable, fuel is not.

Except that lithium recycling is largely non existent or it costs a goddamned fortune.
Sorta like recycling old solar panels should be easy and free, but no, It's $22 per panel where I'm at in California.

Peachfart posted:

If you all really want to go crazy, cars in general are way worse than mass transit or riding a bike.

This. Personal transportation will never be ecologically friendly as long as capitalism is involved. The auto industry lives around a 10 year shelf life.
When I lived in Ukraine I got to ride ~50 year old trains running off of a 40 year old reactor. This hardware had long since paid its ecological debt in manufacturing.

Nothing is as green as a spinach powered bike. Shame it's not feasible in most of America because it's not just one more freeway lane. The system isn't designed for this from the ground up.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I want trains loving everywhere up in this bitch country but nope.

This country did. GM and Firestone gave us the city bus.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cactus Ghost posted:

e: i do agree though that it is buck-wild some of the poo poo you see when it snows in places that don't usually see it. last year where i am we got six inches (we get snow every year but it rarely sticks) and there were plenty of doofuses with a big truck who thought 4wd magically meant you could still drive at freeway speeds on country roads

Never a dull moment when morons from Concord or Stockton or w/e drivin up to Truckee for the weekend go blowin by in a new escalade only to end up a full turtle in the median three miles later.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Saukkis posted:

I have often wondered if an inverter could be cheaper alternative with less hassle and maintenance, the car engine will be maintained anyway and is more likely to be in working condition. A guy in my flying club built himself a plane maintenance van and installed a 6kW inverter on it and it has been useful in numerous occasions.

I'm about a thousand bucks into a 8.6kWh(more like 7 and change) 48V lfp pack with a rebuilt 3kW aims inverter*. It's a proof of concept prototype that'll become a 26kWh pack with 10kVA nominal 3 phase with plans to build two. Probably a combo of Victron or Signeer or Outback inverters.

* Note that this requires some knowledge of battery charging technologies and electronics. The inverter went for a drink in the sea or someshit and was free plus a couple of weekends of labor. The cells are reclaimed telco backup CALB 180Ah units.

So yes, it is possible to build on a budget.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

ilkhan posted:

"Truck" usability requires fitting a plywood sheet flat between the wheel wells, to me (and many others).

Uh yeah domestic truck manufacturers don't build those anymore unless it's the stripper work truck package. It's all mega crew cabs with an ~average dick inches worth of bed.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I feel like cab over world have a hard time meeting safety standards because it won't have a crumple zone

And the incel camino does? Make it electric and regulations seem to disappear.

kill me now posted:

unfortunately this is a normally proportioned pickup with a really weird windshield. Look at where the drivers seat is.

Exactly. Make it a true cab forward. Like 60s vans.

priznat posted:

It is interesting I rarely see the overlander types with fullsize trucks, always smaller ones like tacomas/rangers or body on frame SUVs like a 4 runner.

I see a lot of them around, all festooned with gas tanks that makes me wonder how those tanks aren't instantly stolen.

They suck rear end at it and take on hilarious amounts of body damage the instant the trail gets pinched. hth. It's called fool sized for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

trevorreznik posted:

Anyone seen a car like this before? I think it's an EV conversion but I don't know cars very well let alone EVs

Gen 1 VW rabbit.