Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

As you may be able guess from him making the OP, CI is the shiny new thread IK. I will still be handling reports and working with CI on them. We have a new start, lets make the best of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Someone lend me like 100k so I can buy this whole setup and an aluminum hull 18 foot g3 bass boat to put it in. :allears:

In all seriousness though, I am curious why they are going with the i3 battery pack vs a leaf, tesla, bolt, etc. Is there something about the i3/i8 packs that makes it more ideal for this kind of application?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Probably because the i3 has good thermal management, at a decent kWh rating, without being as popular (i.e. expensive) as a Tesla battery pack, and because the Leaf pack is superior to all others they're in too high demand.to be economical.

I could buy the expense arguement except they charge $32k for just the i3 battery pack when the i3 itself only costs like $45k new. I can't imagine the entire rest of an i3 is worth $13k. Though most of their prices on the deep blue stuff seem extremely inflated and theres a definite lack of competition in this area to drive down costs.

Thermal management is an interesting issue since the only place I can see mounting that battery pack to maintain proper weight distibution would be in the place of the fuel tank which in a more modern boat tends to sit down below the deck. I imagine you'd get some interesting issues having it placed down there, even with the large mass of water nearby to help keep things cool.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That’s not what the rule is though. It’s you can’t post anything without “solid and sourced” evidence and these sites in particular are not allowed. What makes a site not allowed? There isn’t any criteria listed. Is it just the IKs discretion?

If it breaks on those sites first, the rules as written exclude it from being posted since they are the primary source.

My point here is that these rules appear to be created in a vacuum without any community involvement, despite the mod post in the last thread trying to engage the community. Why bother engaging if you’re going to do whatever you want anyway and make up thread specific rules without input from the people who post in that thread?

I asked the previous thread for input and helped CI make the rules based off that. Your contribution to this discussion was to try to correct my spelling of ya'll and to say that actually the thread is fine and nothing is wrong. I disagree and yes quite frankly at the end of the day I'm the one that has to make the decision. Something awful is not a posting democracy and if you disagree with that, then you need to take it up in QCS. I want to see the EV thread actually having discussions about the positive and negative aspects of EVs without the poo poo slinging and useless trolling in either direction. I'll take the actions I feel help push it in that direction and picked an IK I trust to share that direction without favoring either side of the argument.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

quote:

Ariya will also offer e-Pedal, which allows the driver to start, accelerate and decelerate using only the accelerator pedal.

This sounds kinda awkward to use, but I'd be curious to see how it works.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The people who fall all over themselves in the Jalopnik comment section to explain that Tesla isn’t the bad guy and that this is an acceptable business practice are displaying some impressive mental gymnastics.

So explain your position on why its a bad business practice. I'm curious to hear your thoughts. :)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Bum the Sad posted:

Fukken YOLO

I'm going to make the assumption that this is not a picture that you took and you instead just posted it to rile up goons. AI is full of car goons. Car goons have strong opinions about doing things with cars that put other people on the road at risk. And yes, posting about doing something that places other drivers at risk is can be worth a probe for in AI. Please do not do it again.

Yes, I will be an entirely humorless bastard about this.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Offsite drama doesn't belong on SA.

Lets try to get back on topic.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Electric pickup could have a market (larger than the nerds in AI, who don't count), but is there a huge electric Hummer market? Although if you assume most of them are used for driving to and from work and looking uncool when you pull up to the club, no reason they need to be ICE.

I mean yes? Hummers were part of that whole large bof SUV craze of the late 90s/early 00s and was definitely one of the more infamous names in that market. There is still a place in the market for large SUVs and if you're gonna start building an EV version, making a halo version under the hummer name isn't a bad idea.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

*points to rules regarding sources, points to electrek links, gesticulates wildly*

Please find better/alternate sources in the future.

Note: I'm not saying those articles are bad (except for that dumb space at the bottom for the editor to get their own ~~hot take~~ in, :wtc: gimmicky poo poo is that), but a release from the manufacturer or an english language german paper might be the better option. Less chance of mistakes or garbled translations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

GM is thinking about making an EV-only brand to get some of that sweet, sweet investor money.

GM kicks around an idea to seize on EV enthusiasm, report says

I'm sure they would invent a totally new marque, but I hope they bring back Saturn!

No, Pontiac. :getin:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wait, the boat is electric? Thats awesome! Do you have any details?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Can you lift it and put mud tires on it? Asking for a friend. :thunk:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The boat is flying the Norwegian flag.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

That's a big ol battery pack. I'm somewhat curious about the 2 hour run time and wonder if thats battery limitations or if they built it to a certain spec for that application. Overall its cool as heck and I absolutely love to see fully electric boats becoming ~A THING~. Thank you for sharing.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ola posted:

Let's see, not a car, and Electrek, but I MUST HAVE IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeBx3k899Eo

That things kinda neat in a "I wanna rip its guts out and stuff it into a kayak" way, but way too pricey for that. Now I have to find out more about what kinda propulsion its using.

Edit: Ok, The name was kind of a giveaway, its a jet drive. I'm smrt.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 18, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

The unrestricted Autobahn is a loving relic that needs to be dismantled ASAP. Put a loving 130 kph limit everywhere!
It saves lives, it saves CO2. Theres no downside to it except for "car enthusiasts" who whine that they totally need to go that fast and what about ARE FREEDOM!!!

If you need to drive fast go on a loving racetrack and don't endanger innocent people with your stupid poo poo!

:crossarms:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

They estimated it would save about 2 million tons of CO2 to limit the autobahn to 130km/h.
Yeah this would not save the planet but you would get those 2 million tons for free. Wouldnt cost a Euro.

And gently caress yes I'm doubling down. Because everytime you support speed limits the response is "you just hate cars and car culture und driving fast" which is bullshit. I love all of those things! But loving do your fun driving in a save way and keep the rest of the world save for people who're just traveling.

This also isn't the worst doubling down in AI. poo poo this isn't even the worst doubling down by me in this very thread!

Also, this is just a terrible derail so get in a couple more of those "you don't belong in AI" posts and then just move on.

Its good natured ribbing. Chill out and relax. :colbert:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Fair enough. Speed limit chat is done. Lets post about if electrons from a hydro plant give more torque than electrons from a wind farm or something. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Please don't take the obvious bait, just report it and move on, tia. :sun:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Charles posted:

I think maybe the mods missed a joke there

Sucks for them, I have a terrible sense of humor.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm soooo tempted to change the thread title

You better before I do it. :colbert:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You're only gonna pull that number once at a nhra strip before getting ejected tho, so repeatability isn't a concern. :haw:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So you would need a cage and race suit to hot lap?

Blatantly stolen from the Tech Nightmare thread in D&D

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-q2-2020-us-auto-exports/

Tesla are 1/3rd of all car exports from the USA now.

From the nhra documentation, running 10.000 or higher, you will need:
Steel valve stems (most tpms sensors are aluminum or rubber)
Jacket meeting SFI 3.2A/1
6 point roll bar, full cage if you break 135mph or alter the floor pan (breaking 135mph seems entirely in the realm of possibility here)
SFI approved 16.1 harness

Now when you break that 10.000 barrier, you need:
NHRA Chassis Certification
NHRA Competition License
SFI Jacket and pants meeting 3.2A/5
SFI Neck C ollar and gloves meeting 3.3/1
Full face helmet meeting snell or SFI specs

If you break 150mph, you now need a parachute and mounting that will pass tech

The 10.999-10.000 bracket also makes a note that aftermarket axles and axle retainers are required, but I think this is more pointing to straight axle cars here than something with cv axles. Also, any u-joint equiped driveshaft must have a driveshaft retainer. But I'm unsure if tesla has that, and if they did I'd assume it would have a guibo/coupler instead of a u-joint.

Possibly a bit more than a proper suit and helmet. You'd need a 2nd set of wheels unless you wanna swap on some bolt on tire valves trackside (A good excuse to swap on some slicks, because I thought we were going fuckin drag racing. :getin:) and the licensing which is going to be interesting to take a tesla through imo. If you break 150mph, you also need to mount a parachute and have a release for it. I think they have trailer hitch mounts, but I'm not sure how good an idea putting that kinda stress on the vehicle is. Or you just find a wildcat track out in the woods and watch as they proceed not to care. :v:

Edit: https://st.hotrod.com/uploads/sites/21/2018/03/NHRA-Racing-Safety-Rules.pdf

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 23, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

If all you care about is a neck snapping 0-60 time (provided you have full battery etc) then I guess you need a Turbo S to beat a Model S performance on that particular stat, but I would think that's only a small part of the equation. A 4S is still stupidly fast, but on top of that the handling is superb, the ride is great. The styling and interior are on a different planet to a Model S.

I may be a little biased seeing as I got one but I really would recommend giving it a test. Phenomenal car. If you're in the market for a $97k car then a $125k one is not much of a stretch. Sounds like you'd be spending the difference on replacing the suspension components anyway.

(something I posted in the Porsche thread...)

The bulge at the bottom of the rear bumper is odd to me, but outside of that it is a wonderfully gorgeous car. Which for me is high praise because outside of the first gen Cayenne and the Panamera, I don't really like the look of any current Porsche or even most older Porsches.

I really would love to see an electric truck or bof suv with a 5000lb towing range of at least 200 miles. That's when I think you'll see electric vehicles start making serious inroads into people's lives outside of your basic sedan/hatchback/crossover buyers. The Hummer is definitely a good step in that direction for whatever the flaws it has. It really feels like its one of those projects where GM unleashed their engineers and kept the beancounters away from it as much as possible, which always bodes well for them. Particularly when we are talking about a halo car.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I mean, its GM so yeah, but usually that tech then gets distributed to a bunch of other projects because there is a beancounter sitting going "Well, we have the development already done so we might as well squeeze as much profit as possible out of those development dollars."

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Westy543 posted:

Oh poo poo congrats!!! Post pics once you have it!

Edit: I just looked up Joe Biden's plans for the EV tax credit cause someone mentioned it on the EV subreddit discord...
  • Remove the per-manufacturer cap.
  • Tax credit is uncapped for domestic-built electric vehicles.
  • Capping it at 250k/yr income. Make more, no credit.

I like it. :haibrow:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd be concerned with long term reliability with battery swapping. I can see all kinds of fuckery coming into play with cheap low quality packs floating around, compatibility issues as vehicles age, etc.

Manufacturers can't even agree on a lead acid battery size for current ICE and hybrid vehicles, you expect them to agree on a standard battery pack? Then I start thinking of how horribly maintained the battery is in the average vehicle. I just see so many ways for this to go sideways.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think an EV thread tag would be useful.

If someone makes one, I can have an admin upload it!

Qwijib0 posted:

I don't feel this thread moves fast enough to warrant a split, really. If and when it becomes unfollowable because of volume, a news/speculation thread and an owners/diy thread seems like the sanest option. I do realize that jumping in at the end of a clique-ey megathread can feel weird so maybe time for mk4 just to reboot that aspect.

Maybe a 6 month reboot cycle to keep it fresh? Quarterly?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

How much testing has rivian done with the inevitable "imma throw mud tires on my truck" thing and how it effects range?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Triggerhappypilot posted:

I'm gonna be a contrarian and say I like it.

except for the fake grill.

Its got a strong rolls vibe going with the dimensions, which I kinda dig, until you hit that absolutely god awful front end.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DoomTrainPhD posted:

For this thread: I am selling my 18 3DLR. 40k miles, metallic blue, new tires on the referral wheels, and I have the original wheels as well.

35K is what I owe, 35k is what I am selling for. If you are interested and willing to meet in the SoCal area or up to 6 hours away, let me know!

You should also post this in the stickied marketplace thread.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The eTransporter looks like panel version of an astro van.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Lets take about 20% off 'er there on the M3 slapfight there folks.

Besides, if BMW doesn't go for a E3/E5 naming scheme om their electric cars they will be dead(er) to me.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Shamino posted:

"The Clean Cars 2030 measure depends on the state approving a tax on vehicle miles traveled, which would help pay for new transportation infrastructure in the state, according to the bill."

Boy howdy are there gonna be a lot of cars with disconnected odometers.

Oh, cool. Lets have more regressive taxes on people who can't afford to live in city centers and have to commute in older vehicles that are going to be targeted by this legislation.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hi, since cat is taking a much needed sick day, I'mma pop in here quick and ask that we tone it down some in here.

I'm also gonna remind you all that posting takes from some random twitter fuckhead is the kinda thing that gets the posters in this thread going into a tizzy which is why this iteration of the EV thread has such strict rules on it.

So lets drop the slap fight, do a burnout/brownout/static discharge/whatever evs do and move on, ok? :allears:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s a tweet with a link to an article from local news about the crash. How is that a “take”? Would be it be any better if it was the same exact info from Reuters Twitter instead?

Source articles seem to kick off less of a slapfight than having to click through some twitter jerkoff's link to the article with the added bonus of their oh so important opinion on the matter. So yes, a direct link to the source article is better.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

BloodBag posted:

But that's from KHOU, a primary news station in Houston, TX?

My problem isn't that. My problem is that instead of just linking straight to that, there was a link to some rando's twitter with their take, which leads to comments like these

Shamino posted:

That dude has literally built an entire career around being the most outspoken Tesla hater. He is truly a tier 1 loser.

And then away we go with another dumb slapfight that starts with both sides on the defensive and devolves into dumb sniping comments instead of trying to discuss things.

So once again, lets take about 20% off of there and move on. There were some interesting posts about the challenges of putting out a lithium battery fire in there that were actually pretty interesting if anyone has more information on it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

I thought you were taking a sick day!!!!

He was supposed to be, but ya'll woke him up! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

If you remove your bazinga glasses for a minute you'll see it's pretty much the definition of a boring family car.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

congratulations? it's also a great design, which is the actual parameter under discussion, but dont let me stop you from being weird and gross

Lets take about 15-20% off there you two, mmmkay? Thanks.