Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

If we save anything from the last thread, it should be this post:

xel posted:

Getting an EV is a magical thing. Congratulations to all goons getting a Tesla or otherwise, plugging in your car is just cool.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

You say consider your sources but the OP straight up blacklists several of them. It doesn’t appear that rule or any others were developed with the community involved, and it comes across as very biased.

The same holds true on the Twitter piece and reads that you can’t post someone’s tweet unless there is “solid evidence”, but that seems to set a very high bar, and possibly intentionally created that way.

I read the rule of thumb as be mindful of sources that have a direct financial interest in Tesla's success / failure, and acknowledge that bias exists rather than taking them as gospel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

gwrtheyrn posted:

CCS would also be cool :P

You're in luck, it's getting all of that. It will have a liquid cooled battery and use CCS in North America. They said as such when they originally revealed it in... China? last year. :D

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

gwrtheyrn posted:

I saw something like 60k and they are supposedly selling about 10k units/yr right now. How does it work when they pass the 200k threshold, does everyone in the year get the full 7500 or is it reduced in some way for everyone or people past the 200k mark?

The quarter that triggers the phase out and the one that follows it both get $7,500. After that, it cuts in half for two quarters, then cuts again, then is gone.

So Tesla hit it in Q3 2018. It was cut in half on January 1st 2019 to $3,750. Then it was cut again last summer at the end of June to $1,875. Finally it was gone by January 1st, 2020. Same thing happened to general motors, but they passed it in Q4 2018. Theirs didn't cut the first time until April 1st of 2019. When it cut down to $1,875 last fall is when you started seeing insane deals on Bolt EVs pop up.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Indiana_Krom posted:

Picked up my Model 3 Performance today, after about 7 months of waiting. Left the lot with 50% charge (set it to %, default was miles), made it home with 17% even though navigation estimated I'd have 11%. I think my 30 mile average when I got home was about 240 wh/mile so I wasn't driving it hard although it was raining, and its a stealth performance so it has 18" aeros on it. Still, even at like 30% battery that thing kicks like a horse when you push go (had to do it just once!).

Fit and finish, good enough for me. There is one kinda loud rattle on the passenger side of the cabin I'll have to track down once I have a passenger to look for it with. Otherwise I didn't see any problems from circling the car a couple times.

Autopilot is magic, made the 70 or so miles of freeway go by in a breeze. It was set to hold mode by default, and I'm already ruined by regenerative braking and will be unable to drive an ICE reliably again. Didn't touch the brake pedal even once the whole 100 mile trip home.

Installed a software update once I got home, and its now charging full tilt on my HPWC.

Congratulations on your new EV! Enjoy it!! I'm glad to hear you had a positive delivery experience. Let us know what the rattle is once you fix it (if you're okay sharing).

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Honestly, it's kind of a scum gently caress move as it is to double dip on FSD by stripping it out of their own used car sales. They used to (not sure if still common practice) still factor the depreciation from the FSD msrp. Not anywhere near the worst practice in the biz, but I could understand being annoyed with it, unfortunately it's ultimately their choice. Don't buy used through Tesla if you don't like it. The people who bought used through dealerships and had it stripped on registering their cars got it back though.

Tesla really needs to define the FSD upgrade is supposed to work in general. As an account option, yeah that's pretty sweet to have a lifetime upgrade on any Tesla you drive. Bound to a car, eh, much harder sell.

One of my coworkers just bought a new model 3. For giggles I decided to take a look around it from the outside. Had a single panel with a weird alignment issue on the panel between the trunk and passenger side rear door. Otherwise, pretty well put together. And no, I'm not going to pour a pitcher of water on his car. :cheeky:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Wibla posted:

You should take it for a test ride, and also pour a pitcher of water on his car :sun:

On my way back from lunch I realized there were water spots in a few odd areas (charge port, in a weird recess) so maybe he already did water it. :ohdear:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

So a lot of these are probably known, but insideEVs published General Motors' sustainability report from 2019, which just so happens to include the entire lineup of battery electric vehicles planned:

Chevrolet
  • A mid sized SUV.
  • Full size electric pickup with 400+ mi range (Silverado EV?)
  • Bolt EUV, takes cues from Bolt EV and Blazer on styling, will include Cadillac Supercruise.

GMC
  • GMC Hummer EV truck configuration - 1,000 HP / 11,500 lbft torque / 0-60 in 3 seconds
  • GMC Hummer EV SUV configuration - offroad capable

Buick
  • One SUV with emphasis on interior space & cargo space
  • One CUV with emphasis on "form and athletic fashion."

Cadillac
  • Lyriq SUV - aimed at the bread and butter luxury crossover segment
  • Three row SUV aimed to maximize cargo and interior space
  • Entry level luxury EV SUV (think Cadillac XT4)
  • Escalade SUV, but not called an Escalade SUV
  • Celestiq - conspicuous consumption product. "Build rate of 1.2 a day."

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Brake pads in Teslas are triggered by the brake pedal only. They don't do blended like almost every other manufacturer.

Sometimes slamming on brakes in my Volt does this kinda this awkward split-second lurch where the computer goes "ah poo poo ah gently caress switch from regen to pads." It's really noticeable holding the regen pedal and then applying brakes with some decent force. If you tap the brake pedal in most other EVs, you'll only use regen until the computer decides you need pads.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Bum the Sad posted:

What about when "Hold" is enabled?

It probably does use them to bring you to a stop at very low speeds to actually stop you. Otherwise when you're say slowing down to a light it won't use them unless you press it AFAIK.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Ola posted:

And the various hill hold, creep modes etc which in EVs can be dependent on software checking for open doors and fastened safety belts, vs an idling fossil autobox which can be put in drive by a toddler or a dog.

As far as kids putting cars in drive, let's not forget that a toddler put a model X in drive and pressed their pregnant mother against a wall, causing a (cw body horror) gently caress ton of broken bones and sent her into immediate premature labor at the hospital.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

KillerKatten posted:

Source on this? I'm really curious how the toddler reached the brake pedal?

You can take your pick on a source, he's the first one that came up for me:
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-x-allegedly-hits-pregnant-woman-unintended-acceleration-2019-5

Basically she left her phone in the car, which kept it on, and the babby climbed into the driver's seat.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

brand engager posted:

That's a cool sound

I finally got a chance to listen to it, and goddamn, Ford did it. They made a speederbike. Sounds right outta Return of the Jedi. :swoon:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I considered it before going with my Volt. Seems like a solid car.

Some news: Hyundai 45 has two pack options for 58 and 73 kWh, going 354km/219 miles and 450km/280 miles. 10->80% in 15 minutes. WLTP ranges.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Apparently at the Q2 earnings call, Tesla said they have eventual plans for a compact and a "higher capacity vehicle."

Also it sounds like it's confirmed they're building a factory in Texas for the Y, cybertruck, and I think semi? A state where you can't even buy Teslas?

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 23, 2020

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I really hope the Mach E does well. I rely on public charging (mostly L1 at work) so I'll be a little sad about less frequent access to charging. But, by the time a lot of these hit mainstream, I'll have moved somewhere with an outlet.

If the Ariya sells anywhere as good as the Rogue, it'll be a hit. The hardest hurdle will be financial institutions not baking in things like gas and routine maintenance costs into financing decisions.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I really think all it needs is a new interior and maybe faster, standard DCFC. We love ours.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

They really need to play it up more as Tony Stark's car, considering how blatant that placement was in Avengers Endgame.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Some other GM news: another round of Bolt EUV spy shots. https://www.autoblog.com/photos/chevy-bolt-euv-spy-shots/#slide-2252524

Looks like a new dash. Knowing the concept render for what the car should look like, you can get a decent idea for its relative size and shape. Looks like new infotainment too, while still keeping the cool floating center console.

E: this concept render of the new Buick version that's sold in China.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 25, 2020

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Jimong5 posted:

I would think that in the US market at least its incredibly difficult to sell a vehicle that is $70,000+ even after incentives. Some states can tick that down a bit but some other states charge extra for EVs. The Q5 is affordable to a lot more people that the e-tron ever will be. It also seems iffy to me to pay a $20,000+ premium over a Q5/7 for an EV drivetrain that is going to be outclassed in a year or two by the meb platform, not to mention what other manufacturers are going to be putting out over that same time frame.

Is the e-tron switching to MEB? I thought it was staying on their premium electric platform along with the Taycan. I think Volkswagen intends to keep both platforms relevant, but that might be outdated info. Either way, yeah, the I-Pace is just too drat expensive to be worth it for the majority.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Outlines for Hummer truck and Hummer SUV BEVs:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I looked up the warranty on the Mach-e and saw that they're offering 8 years / 100k miles on the electrical system which is making it even harder for me to talk myself out of this. Guys help me talk myself out of this

buy the goddamn horse :getin: (if it's available near you, anyway)

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Deteriorata posted:

Manufacturers love dealers. They serve as a buffer to even out production and as a layer of financial protection. They have no interest in selling directly to the consumer.

I suspect Tesla will drop or at least significantly scale back direct-to-consumer deliveries once they get big enough.

Volkswagen is pretty much dropping dealerships for the ID. line. You order online, then pick a local dealership to get your car at. The dealership tells you how to drive it and does final inspections. Price is fixed afaik and they just get your signature on the physical paperwork. Dealer gets a pre-established cut from Volkswagen, no price adjustment allowed.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Y'all, GM is finally spending money on building out a charging network. They're helping EVGo build 2,700 more fast chargers across the US. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/07/gm-teams-up-with-evgo-to-deploy-more-than-2700-new-dc-fast-chargers/

Legitimately shocked to see GM reverse their position on investing in charging networks.

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Aug 1, 2020

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Someone on Reddit stacked discounts and incentives (including low income ones) and got a "free" bolt ev lease. https://www.reddit.com/r/electricvehicles/comments/i2is9u/free_2020_bolt_lease_with_1k6k_money_in_pocket

Their post is kind of a mess to read, but here's the body in case you don't want to click a Reddit link:

quote:

2020 LT bolt one pay lease 8350...   0r 10300 no money down ok credit. Dealer must discount bolt by 5k, watsonville has this price alreadly $13500 on the off MSRP . you can get others to do 4k to compete with watsonville making 1 pay lease $300 more. So for the math here how it works.

Argue $5k off MSRP watsonville has $13500 right on the hood other dealers will discount to $4k making a difference of $300 on a 1 pay lease. Just start negionating or speak to armando in watsonville

5K  grant CVAP part of down either half or majority of 1 pay

4.5k STATE CVRP rebate

4k City of santa Cruz NEW rebate (varies from 0-4k+ depending on county)

800 PGE rebate

14300 in grants and rebates lease 8350 at watsonville for lowest trim paid up front Price 8350

pocketed $5950 and a free lease.Depending on your city that I havent mentioned san mateo etc, this is a great lease hack

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

The 2021 Audi e-tron is up to 222 miles epa range (+18 miles) and the msrp is being reduced by quite a bit ($8,900), starting at $65,900 before incentives. The e-tron sportback will cost $3,000 more than the regular e-tron.

I imagine this mostly comes from battery advancements - more energy dense, less expensive.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Cadillac Lyriq unveiled tonight. I stole some details and pics from electrek's slide summary, pls no punish:

They want to offer rwd / awd options, 50/50 weight ratio, 19 kW (100 amp box) AC charging option, and a 300+ mile battery. They said they're 80% to production and it'll hit dealerships in the end of 2022. Cadillac said these will be available nationally across the US, they are not restricted to California. It will support up to 150 kW DCFC and feature super cruise.

It also has a cool 33 inch screen.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Clearly they should offer the owners a free upgrade to gen 2 roadsters.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Big Taint posted:

Instead they are gonna say “eh let’s just make Buick be EVs now”.

Well they DID do that with Cadillac. All the news sites picked it up as "CADILLAC TO BECOME TESLA FIGHTER" when their first car is like 3 years away.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Gamesguy posted:

Is there any particular advantage to buying a third party home EV charger like a chargepoint versus just using the charger supplied by the manufacturer?

Depends on manufacturer. Sometimes the ones included only work for 120V (adding ~4 mi/hr) vs an installed level 2 charger which can do like 8-15, if not like 20+ an hour depending on what the car can accept.

That's the main one unless you need the faster charging speed. Since it sounds like you don't drive very far, the included cable should be fine.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I leased a volt for 36 months last year to let the market mature before buying, and with how rapidly ev advancements have come in even that time, I wish I had done 24.

If you're doing more than 36 or 39 months, you're in the territory where you should consider buying the car. If you want to give the market some time for vehicles to come out, supply chains to stabilize, etc, I'd recommend doing 36 months.

There is a lot of bullshit on lease agreements. Make sure you are aware of all of them (read the lease, mostly, there's not a whole lot of legalese, and the finance person is usually happy to explain it to you honestly).

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The funny thing now is that there are leases on CPO cars so you get two turns on the lease roulette wheel because some people who are buying three year old cars want the same experience as the new vehicle lessees.

This is depressing. :smith:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Looks like Mach E will be available in November:

Edit: Lyriq starting at sub 60k https://technocodex.com/cadillac-lyriq-ev-to-start-at-less-than-60000/

Westy543 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 13, 2020

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Yuns posted:

Pretty good initial reviews of the Polestar 2 so far. The basic summary is that it's competitive with the Model 3 but better interior/build quality.

A shame it's so expensive. :( I really love the interior and design.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Afaik it absolutely is. They said the tariffs would be baked into the price. The Model 3 LR AWD is 12k USD cheaper without incentives, 4.5k cheaper with. That's assuming you can comfortably drop the extra $7,500 until tax season, and have $7,500 of liability to begin with (though if you're buying a 59k car, you probably do).

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Yuns posted:

Polestar says you will be able to order them and get them delivered in all 50 states. But where are you going to get it serviced?

Any dealership certified to fix Volvos, when I talked to their staff on a tour event.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

MomJeans420 posted:

Musk tweeted years ago (2016?) that Tesla was going to install battery packs and solar at every supercharger so people could charge even when the power is out. About 10 seconds of thought will show you the solar idea was never going to work, and batteries would be prohibitively expensive if you were going to handle up to 1,500 cars per day (that's what the V3 superchargers are supposed to be able to handle, I have no idea how many vehicles a station typically sees).

I wonder how cost of battery packs shakes out against outrageous fees for demand charges. Supposedly Tesla is going ahead with it for a few areas. Electrify America is doing the same. I remember seeing a like $1,200 fee for dcfc an e-tron during the middle of the day.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

At risk of being off topic... according to this article from autoblog, it looks like Tesla just started to hit a per car profit again at the end of 2019: https://www.autoblog.com/2020/01/28/tesla-earnings-per-vehicle-profits/

This one from spring might be useful too since it breaks down car margins vs pollution credits https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/29/tesla-turns-q1-profit-on-cost-reductions-rising-car-margins-credits/

I can't find the source, maybe an investor meeting? but GM said earlier this year that Bolts are sold at a profit now. Ford also said that the Mustang Mach E will be profitable from day one. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2019-11-18/ford-ceo-says-electric-mustang-will-bring-instant-profit-video

Is it battery supply chains coming online, I wonder? Two of those companies don't qualify for any special incentives in the US or anything.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Apparently some of the August Model 3s are being spotted with new trunk struts, a deeper frunk (but smaller, it's the model Y one I think), and different headlights. I wonder if they're making way for a powered trunk and a heat pump? This is among Tesla rumor sites, but the consistent one is the different frunk and several people on Reddit said they had that frunk on their car.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't added a powered trunk yet. Heat pump is probably next though. Curious what they have in store at battery day this year.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

CannonFodder posted:

Powered trunk? What's the case use for that?

Convenience of not having to open and close the trunk lid yourself. It's on the model Y, S, and X, plus most all other luxury cars. My fiancée's 2004 Lexus had it, and it was quite nice for when your hands were full carrying stuff.

E:

Yuns posted:

The powered trunk came about because a handicapped guy messaged Elon saying he had a model 3 on order but needed a powered trunk to get his wheelchair in. So Elon did it for free. So I assume that convinced Tesla to modify the trunk struts to better allow for the addition of power.
Apparently the wiring for it is basically all there, it's just kind of a pain to do yourself with aftermarket parts. So having it done at the factory would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

GM finally released images of the Bolt EUV and gen 2 Bolt EV:

Bolt EUV:

Gen 2 Bolt EV:

Some more info here: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/08/first-chevrolet-bolt-ev-and-bolt-euv-teaser-images-released/ again confirming Super Cruise. These are 2022 cars.