Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

Has anyone here had any luck getting an apartment complex to install a charging station? I’ve brought it up with management at my place a few times and nothing seems to come of it.

Where do you live? Virginia, New York, Florida, Oregon, Colorado, Hawaii & California any of those states you are (within reason and pending certain other qualifications per state [California requires at least 5 spaces at the property, and for there to not already be a certain number of spots that can be used as EV charging) have it as law that a renter can install EVSE (generally at renters expense) without the property owner/manager being able to say no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

Oh poo poo, I’m in Colorado I’ll have to look into this

https://advance.lexis.com/documentp...74-7cb43b95b1a0

oof lexis links are awful

anyway: looks like yours is actually more generous than california's as long as the lease doesn't explicitly prohibit installing EVSE

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 9, 2020

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Charles posted:

I think it was the beta version or something. I definitely wanted it to work for me so I'm bummed about that, but obviously it works for most people. Regular cruise also wanted to stop at green lights, flashing yellow lights, and stop signs on roads that aren't quite perpendicular, etc.

Yeah they probably had traffic light/stop sign control on.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Is posting about non plug in HEVs okay here???

I just bought a 2020 Escape Hybrid and oh my god the fuel efficiency is great. As far as features go, it beats the 2020 Range Rover Evoque we have lying around in almost every case except dimming side mirrors.

I’m actually super impressed with everything it’s got.

Doug quirks and features:
- the glove box doesn’t have any illumination?
- putting it in sport mode changes the Ford Fusion that indicates the car you’re following to a Mustang which lol
- it also fakes shifting in sport mode

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

BIG DRYWALL MAN posted:

Havent had any problems with my M3 other than a rabbit chewing through the front wiring harness and making me drop $200 on a replacement :argh:. AP is amazing for cross country drives and eating up miles on an interstate.

It blows my mind how much less cognitive drain advanced cruise control systems cause on drives.

I have a 40 mile commute to and from work, and while Ford's Copilot360 or whatever they call it is nowhere near advanced as AP/FSD, just the ability of the Escape to steer in the lane completely changed how I felt about that commute. In my old car I wanted to just take a nap the moment I got home, now I'm not exhausted anymore.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

SpaceCadetBob posted:

You got an escape with full lane keeping? Im jelly, mine was the package below with just lane monitoring and adaptive cruise. Even with just them, driving is so much more fun.

Hybrid Titanium has basically every bell and whistle you could want in it.

eta: it's the same level of driver attention detection as Tesla, so you do have to keep your hands on the wheel and put some torque in it, but it's honestly really solid

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MrYenko posted:

Adaptive cruise is by far the more important tool, imo. Lane keeping is nice, but effective adaptive cruise is a game changer for commuting.

I also agree with this statement. The commute goes from city freeway to a more suburb-y freeway, and in my Focus with just plain cruise, it was fine when I got out of the city for the most part, but for the second half of my commute home, I couldn't rely on cruise control at all because of how stop and go it gets.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

RZA Encryption posted:

I just got my juicebox EVSE. One of the reasons I got it was so I could eventually add another. I can't find any installation instructions for how to do this, but from what I'm gathering it looks like I would add a second 14-50 outlet daisy-chained to the first? Seems weird, but I guess that's how all my "normal" household 5-15s are.

https://support-emobility.enelx.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002651411-Load-Sharing-Use-and-Setup

Assuming the specific Juicebox you have is just plugged into a 14-50, not actually directly connected to that circuit, that appears to be what you'd do.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

As someone who has had Android Auto/CarPlay be a deciding factor in my previous two car purchases, whenever I get around to getting a Tesla, I probably won't miss it. The real reason behind AA/CarPlay is to make infotainment not suck. Tesla infotainment is about as far from suck as you could get (I mean hell find me another car that has native Spotify that acts as a playable device), so you don't really need AA/CarPlay to come in and make it suck less.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Fame Douglas posted:

Eh, I want to use my apps, like Pocket Casts for listening to podcasts. I don't want to go through Bluetooth, and Tesla doesn't have it built-in.

Like I'll give you that, but Bluetooth worked just fine for me for however long I had my grandma Taurus with a single DIN aftermarket with Bluetooth to my phone.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The Gunslinger posted:

Errr no, I own a Model 3 and trust me you will miss AA/Carplay. If you only ever use Spotify for everything or whatever then fair enough. But otherwise you're stuck with Bluetooth only. If I want Apple Music or Youtube Music instead of Spotify? Too bad. Want Waze? Nope. Tesla can't produce partnerships and infotainment apps as fast as the industry itself evolves. I really value choice, I don't want to be limited to just Spotify for everything which also forces you into paying for the Tesla LTE service. I gave it a shot for a year and found it buggy at best, lots of issues with playback and podcast support was dreadful at the time, I hear its better now.

Tesla infotainment is still light years ahead of everything else so I'm not unhappy with it overall but I really want them to add Carplay/AA so that I can use whatever apps and services I want. And I came from a 10 year old Lexus with Bluetooth only so I'm used to that experience, I still want AA/Carplay even after having Tesla's infotainment for a year. It's just more choice.

The music/media argument I totally get, but for navigation, to me it would make a lot more sense in an electric car (specifically one that has the ecosystem that Tesla does) to just have all the navigation be native. It knows the exact state of charge, it knows current use conditions, knows the state of superchargers ahead, etc.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't disagree with that specific example but if it's implemented properly, you can have both is my point. Tesla provides an API for much of this stuff so if they would allow AA/Carplay, map apps could actually implement those same features. Regardless, some people are just driving in the city and want Waze, they don't need battery pack info and its displayed elsewhere in the UI anyway. There's no downside to AA/Carplay, it's just more choice.
Completely agree. I'll never say no to AA/Carplay, it just feels less urgent in a Tesla compared to legacy infotainment.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Polestar, Volvo and eventually Ford's adoption of Android Automotive seems like best of both worlds once apps start getting built for it. Navigation (google maps and A Better Route Planner) for Polestar 2 have state of charge information. No Waze yet though.

Yeah, Automotive definitely feels like the best way. Let car manufacturers do the things they're good at, let tech companies do the thing they're good at.

kitten smoothie posted:

I'm 2 months in with a Model Y. The Spotify integration is all right, I generally don't miss CarPlay with regard to music or navigation.

But compared to AA/CarPlay it plain sucks at dictating text messages. If you're coming from CarPlay you're going to find the phone/SMS integration to feel downright byzantine by comparison.

I've seen this sucking compared to CarPlay a bunch and yeah it's definitely a big downgrade.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

priznat posted:

What the actual hell lol, I just thought their poo poo was busted. There is one that is in the parking lot at work a lot I will give it a closer look next time I see it.

In highschool I knew a guy with a vw corrado and that thing’s spoiler was always busted.

The CHSL is on the spoiler, and along with them not being super suited to snowy locations, I don't think the location of the CHSL when the spoiler was down was acceptable per regulations

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

MomJeans420 posted:

Someone on twitter estimated 145 kWh battery based on the weight, isn't that a fair amount larger than anything else?

My napkin math looking at the quoted charge rate and time to charge puts it in the 150kWh range as well so this battery is definitely beefy.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Ford gonna sell so many of those things at that price and features. The EV credit still applies to Ford ATM doesnt it?

Only source I found only has data from June 2020, but they've still got 76k to hit 200,000 from that source so yeah they've got plenty of credits.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Whatever the case may be I'm really digging this reveal broadcast

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

embargo lifted:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/19/22442777/ford-f-150-lightning-electric-truck-specs-price

quote:

The most popular vehicle in the United States is going electric. Ford has revealed the F-150 Lightning, an all-electric version of its popular pickup truck due out in 2022, and it’s aggressively priced for an EV. The base model with 230 miles of range starts at $39,974, while the extended range version starts in the mid-$50,000s and can go about 300 miles.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

oh my god they implemented vehicle to house

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Fame Douglas posted:

I can't imagine many people would want to buy a car with something like a 0 star Euro NCAP rating. Or maybe truck buyers don't care?

They haven't outright come and said it, but I strongly strongly believe the cybertruck is only planned on being sold in the NA market because of things like this

And as someone who wanted/still wants a Tesla, this Tesla Vision thing feels like a massive mistake, especially now that Ford is now making some IMO super compelling options (I previously really wanted an Explorer, and if the E-Xplorer is good, I could probably be persuaded to get that instead of a Model Y in the future). The time to screw up on implementing stuff in an EV for Tesla was 5 years ago, not now when the Blue Oval is making big moves on electric.

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 30, 2021

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Qwijib0 posted:

I have no faith in the detection capabilities of a camera the quality of which is in a model 3/y as a single sensory input based on what the dashcam puts to disk. Think of every situation you've been in where you're using context clues or driving in a more defensive manner because of sunlight or rain or fog or whatever.

Yes, humans do not have radar, but it is an excellent second input to detect THING in front of a vehicle should the garbage sensor be obstructed with lens flares, water, fog, or ice.
Teslacam only uses one sensor, there's 3 forward facing that get fed into autopilot.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Nitrousoxide posted:

Yeah, this is the stuff.

I gotta say, even with the relatively underwhelming in terms of raw power electric engine in the Hyundai Ioniq, the just INSTANT TORQUE you get in city driving is very satisfying . I've not driven a Tesla, but I can imagine it's far more powerful electric motor must really feel nice.

Same. I haven't driven a full EV yet, but after 6000 miles with the Escape Hybrid, I'm not touching another car that isn't at least a hybrid, and ideally full EV.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The new Toyota one is obnoxiously loud and I can hear it from across a school campus. The Ford one is relatively subdued and spaceship sounding.

Ola posted:

Yeah, the Model 3 Performance is very chuckable despite the weight. You can hide a lot of weight with sufficient power. It's not a track weapon straight off the showroom floor, but then neither is the MX-5. Convertibles/roadsters also seem to have gone out of fashion, so it's reasonable to assume there won't be much push for an EV in this body form coming soon, neither will any factory EV deliver a full day at the track with similar performance to a current day enthusiast's modded MX-5, which is really up there with touring cars from not many decades ago.

But if we lower the bar to "daily driver which is also hilarious in the canyons", I think it wouldn't take much. I'm even enjoying the Skoda Citigo-E on twisty roads because it has some punch out of the corner and feels more balanced than a similar type gas version which is front heavy. There's been some talk of the Cupra being a "hot hatch", but I think that's too big. Somewhere between the Citigo-E and the Honda e is a potential for something "slow is fast" or "small and fun". But again, perhaps not by the modern track day enthusiast standards which can be very high.

So I think small and fun or big and fast. Either of these practices should reduce your need to be a whiney bitch.

Hell, even my Escape hybrid feels way torquey than our other crossover

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I'm going to also assume there's some shared engineering between the Mach-E and the current Escape Hybrid given the relative platform sharing; the Escape Hybrid also had some 12v drain issues at launch, 2+2=4.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Ola posted:

It is also perfectly possible to write slightly better software so that the 12V doesn't get discharged too much. There's not much need for 12V anymore anyway. There are several cars now that offer inverters to supply domestic AC inside the cabin, most plugged in power is 5V USB and all the bulbs around the car are vehicle life LEDs. So why not just drop the entire 12V circuit and supply the "hotel load" from the main battery.

Ease of part sharing across your EV and non-EV models, and more importantly, an entirely separate circuit.

You can’t really disengage the HV conductors when the car is off if your only power source is HV. Using 12v allows for the circuit to be physically broken and impossible to be energized.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Ola posted:

I'm no electrical engineer but I am sure there are ways you can make this safe and usable without a traditional 12V circuit. Propulsion circuit parallel to hotel circuit?

But then either you're still running your hotel on HV (which would be a big yikes for crash recovery reasons), or you've still got HV going from the battery to your transformer that gives you 12v hotel.

With the 12v battery, you can completely disconnect the HV so there's no risk of it being anywhere other than HV battery.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Ola posted:

If I knew more electrical engineering, I could perhaps refute this. But I imagine you can step down the main battery through a transformer to get hotel DC on one circuit, isolated from propulsion. It won't send 450 volts to the USBs in any case and everything that can be fused would be fused anyway. But I could very well be wrong and the aux circuit is here to stay.

As for random stuff immobilizing the vehicle, have some sympathy for BMW R1200GS riders who were immobilized when the immobilizer decided to immobilize them on their bike adventure holiday, even if no immobilizing was warranted.

Right, but there's going to be some evil orange cabling that goes from HV battery to your hotel transformer that is always energized.

Or you move the hotel transformer inside the battery, which means good luck ever servicing that if something wrong happens with it.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Ola posted:

If I knew more electrical engineering, I could perhaps refute this. But I imagine you can step down the main battery through a transformer to get hotel DC on one circuit, isolated from propulsion. It won't send 450 volts to the USBs in any case and everything that can be fused would be fused anyway. But I could very well be wrong and the aux circuit is here to stay.

As for random stuff immobilizing the vehicle, have some sympathy for BMW R1200GS riders who were immobilized when the immobilizer decided to immobilize them on their bike adventure holiday, even if no immobilizing was warranted.

Right, but there's going to be some evil orange cabling that goes from HV battery to your hotel transformer that is always energized.

Or you move the hotel transformer inside the battery, which means good luck ever servicing that if something wrong happens with it.

The basic point is that the goal is to avoid as much as possible a situation where a car accident results in ~400VDC getting in the car frame or energizing the ground or a puddle etc etc.

Per the Tesla emergency response guide for S/X, the HV Junction Box (which also handles DC-DC stepdown) is located on the battery, but not inside the battery box itself. If I smash a Tesla into a brick wall and the car goes "oh poo poo accident detected" and yanks the HV conductors, there's no HV leaking through the top of the box since that's disabled, and you'd have to try pretty hard to get through a quarter inch of ballistic aluminum (plus titanium) on the bottom of the battery. More importantly, the 12v still functions when the HV is disconnected and/or the emergency loop is cut.

In your hypothetical "run hotel solely off HV battery", the only safe thing to do is completely de-energize the entire car when you're in that situation, so you lose your hazards going off, the ability for the car to report back to Tesla (which is already currently done) for them to call the owner and say "hey your car was in an accident, are you okay?"

There's not really any gain for throwing out the hotel running on a 12v battery charged by DC-DC stepdown which can be de-energized when the traction battery is off.

This would almost be the equivalent of "leave your ICE car running all the time, and just run hotel 12v off the alternator". When you frame it like that it's pretty ridiculous.

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 11, 2021

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Just to clarify the inventory aspect of it:

Other than rejected on delivery cars and used cars, there is no "inventory" of cars at a Tesla store.

Every quarter, they go through a distance based delivery cycle. Deliveries that are further away (I can't remember if Fremont makes ROW cars anymore, so we'll just assume they make NA cars for this example) get matched first to a VIN in the quarter. As the quarter goes on, deliveries will slowly start to creep westward across the US and Canada, as there's now less risk of a specific car delay slipping into next quarter. As you get right to the end of the quarter, shipping methods turn from train into truck, and truck into "come pick it up at Fremont if you live within 50 miles" and that's how you get that mad dash of everyone who's an employee helping to hand over cars so they can meet quarter goals.

Depending on where you order in the quarter and where you live is the biggest indicator of wait time (as well as how they're doing on selling out the next quarter's worth of cars). Rumor is that Q3 has already been sold through, so for example, if I (who lives in California) wanted to buy a Model Y right now, I likely wouldn't take delivery until November or December.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The frunk was very clearly an afterthought, given that they couldn't have been bothered to wire up a separate release and just used the handle from the Escape

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

IIRC the reason regen options were removed is that the EPA range test sets any sort of efficiency settings to the worst possible setting, so removing the setting is free EPA miles

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Has anyone here mentioned the 2020 Bolt that caught fire? I'm sorta not feeling great about my purchase now

IMO: only EVs make the news when they catch fire.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Have they even provided any information about how to put out the fires and how to stop them reigniting constantly that's not 'just dunk it in a tank of water for a couple of days'?

I mean this isn’t unique to Tesla so pointing fingers at them for it feels a little disingenuous.

85kWh is an absurd amount of energy and the chemistry really has one failure state, lots of fire until the energy is gone

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Without getting into the "is FSD actually going to happen and be worth x dollars" discussion, it feels like it's not really a smart choice to buy it with the Tesla, right?

I'm interested in maybe pulling the trigger on a Model 3 in a month or so, and it feels like other than it being wrapped into your insurance, there's really only more downsides than upsides when it comes to financing it as part of the car loan.

You raise the sticker price of your car by 12k, increasing taxes / registration fees. You have to buy it again if you change Tesla cars (so if down the line I upgraded to a Model S, open up my wallet again). It seems like it makes more sense to just pay for it as the subscription fee, which costs ~40 dollars more per month than financing it based on my math, but means you're not locked in, if you change cars, you're not out the 12k you need to re-obtain FSD.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Ok Comboomer posted:

it will do nothing for the resale value since the new owner will have to license it again themselves

my dad has a 3 and he didn’t spend the extra money and he’s happy as a clam with his FSD-less car

like, buy it for a month that you’re gonna road trip if you want to mess around with it as a party trick but otherwise save your money IMO

by the time it becomes a worthwhile purchase, if ever, you’ll probably be done with the Model 3 and on to another future car anyway

that's pretty much where I've landed

if I want it, I'd rather have it as a subscription, instead of swallowing a flat 12 grand all at once after purchase, or rolling 12 grand into a purchase that I can only capitalize on if I sell it private party

assuming FSD subscription doesn't go up in price (which lol), even accounting for the difference in price between financing it, and monthly, it's still something like 4 years of subscribing for it before it's more expensive than just rolling it into the loan

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Definitely don’t buy it. I might buy a month of it this summer to see how it does on road trips but I honestly just want Navigate on Autopilot. If I had a my 3 a few years ago I’d probably have jumped on the EAP package

This is also where I've landed

As someone who leans more towards the "Tesla is making advances but god certain people need to have their Twitter taken away" mindset, rather than banned muskchat, Nav on Autopilot seems fairly polished, but the city stack feels eh at best, and it's continually lame that EAP is no longer available, and you're forced to pay stupid amounts of money for a feature set that may or may not ever deliver.

If EAP came up for purchase again at a reasonable price, I'd probably consider it, but FSD for 12K just feels like throwing my money away.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Ok Comboomer posted:

really? I thought it reset when you sold the car

IIRC the big "tesla disabled it after the fact" hullabaloo was based on an oopsie Tesla made. It got traded into them, they forgot to disable it (which is standard practice), dealer bought it from them, then resold it to a third party, third party had a service appointment or something, then they looked at the ownership history and saw that it should have been disabled, so then they remotely turned it off, giving it back after the shitshow

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Velius posted:

I’m renting a townhouse for a year - I’m assuming connecting an EV charger is probably not allowed in the lease but haven’t looked. I guess I could ask!

depending on which state there's various laws that may or may not apply to you on requiring EV charging to be available

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

bird with big dick posted:

Somewhere in my garage I've got one of these that I kept in the Mach

I love nothing more than when you're out and about and you've got like 20 minutes to kill (like waiting at the airport in the cell phone lot, or waiting for the car to charge, or whatever), using that time to do some car detailing.

I need to find it, I think it's buried under some of my wifes poo poo.

if you put a bag there, where do you put the shrimp cocktail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

As much as I want a Model 3 or a R1S, I think I'm now at the point where I want to wait out my current car loan (even though I could probably trade in my car and make a profit, thanks chip shortage).

Without veering into muskchat, I've been super bleh on Tesla's decisions lately. Rivian is promising as an upstart, but the lack of CarPlay still bums me out, even though they're not saying "no never" the way Tesla does.

There's part of me that will just throw money at Ford whenever they launch the Explorer EV.