Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Why are all the US and European auto companies focusing on luxury EVs? Only affordable EVs are coming out of Asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
https://youtu.be/upk1S-ATV6g

There's always the new Kandi K23! 180 mile range on a 41.4kw battery. About 20k after incentives.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 22, 2020

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Tesla Competitor Admits It Rolled Semi Truck Prototype Down a Hill in 2018 Promo Because It Couldn’t Drive

https://futurism.com/nikola-motors-one-semi-truck-couldnt-drive?fbclid=IwAR0As_ixaHzcPf5_20bajm2IYZcfLvl_DQpUdHE5EOgqyrNTBtD9cz2SyyY

Yikes, not a great look for Nikola.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Eat My Ghastly rear end posted:

Three windshield wipers :lol:

But is the windshield bullet proof?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

Interesting interview with the MTA bus president on the challenges of going fully electric on buses.

https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2020/11/12/mta-bus-boss-all-electric-fleet-is-still-years-away-even-with-fed-help/

Really shouldn't be a challenge. China and other countries have had electrified bus fleets for years now.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Ola posted:

Same is true for bicycles, where velocity squared is much lower, yet they spend huge amounts of resources on streamlining everything.

Apparently a rider in full tuck on a race bike has a coefficient of drag of 0.6: https://canadamotoguide.com/2016/05/04/motorcycle-aerodynamics/

Which is basically a barn door. Maybe it would help to somehow duct air behind the rider's back.

Also a way to sell ever more expensive and over designed bicycles.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Ola posted:

Which makes you really wonder why motorcycle manufacturers aren't doing it. Ducati Hyperaero would sell like whoa.

I guess with the mortorcycke you e got other talking points like horse power, torque, etc which have a much bigger impact on performance while with a bicycle it’s uhh how good you are at pedaling. So all their effort is put into how this new design will make your pedaling better.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Looks like there's finally a EV wagon!

The MG 5 EV, looks delightfully practical... too bad it's not coming to the US. Sigh

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

VideoGameVet posted:

It's a FORD MACH-E

NOTE: Malibu is in California which I believe is still in the USA :-)

Yea, but it's got a proper wagon rear end, none of that slopped hatch business.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
NIO just launched their ET7 sedan. Looks impressive. Different battery pack options with a future 150kwh version having a NEDC range of over 1000km.

Has a dual motor system with a 180kw PMM motor in front and 300kw induction motor for the rear. 0-100 sprint in 3.9s.

Seems to be packed with some impressive tech.

https://youtu.be/IB-nGyrQa4g

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 10, 2021

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

harperdc posted:

Battery swaps will have trouble until everyone is using the exact same size and input of battery packs. Battery swapping is apparently finding a home in China but that has solved some of the problems.

I think battery swap fits the Chinese market well. Almost no one lives in a single family home and home charging is a challenge. If NIO or whoever can build up a battery swap infrastructure it can work very well combined with standard charging stations.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It would be fun to drive up and have the machinery just take a chunk out of your car because it doesn't know wtf to do though. If batteries were like AAs in the bottom of a cheap RC car I'd be like "yeah this idea is good" but they're clearly not for a variety of reasons you've mentioned already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxqhd4FkP0c

Stupid or not, it's already being done over in china. Can see how it turns out for them.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 5, 2021

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

Buying i3 new when you could have a Tesla or similar for the same price is stupid. Grab a few year old one for 10-12k and have a pretty good daily driver that can technically do road trips, easy with range extender, if you wanted to for some reason.

How do the batteries hold up after 3 or 4 years? I've no experience, but going by other batteries, once they've been used for a while they lose quite a bit of capacity.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Charles posted:

i3 is liquid cooled, so if they let you charge to just 80-90% or so, you should get a good life out of them, if they're decent quality cells. Leafs, which are entirely passively air cooled can suffer pretty heavy degradation. Kia Souls which are also air cooled, although assisted with a fan / cabin air, do better, but still conk out in Arizona like climates.

TeslaBjorn has a Model S with over 300,000km, not sure when he will do the degradation test, as he got covid, lol.

Thanks! Good information.

Sucks that Teslabjorn got the COVID, lol.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

RZA Encryption posted:

I had no idea they were still making new i3s. A 2021 BEV with 153 mi range for $45k. That is wild. Apparently they only sold 1,508 of them in 2020.

The LAPD got hoodwinked into buying a whole fleet of these and are now trying to get rid of them.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
This looks to be my ideal truck (size and styling), but not sure it's ever going to see the light of day.

https://electrek.co/2021/03/12/secr...ITWXWjXOG68dh-Y

quote:

PERFORMANCE

RANGE – 250-275+ miles | DRIVE – Dual Motor 4WD, Single Motor FWD Drive | ACCELERATION – 6.2s 0-60mph | TOWING CAPACITY – 1360kg (3000lbs) | Rapid Charger | Battery Cooler and Heater
EXTERIOR

LENGTH – 4765mm (188in) | WIDTH – 1930mm (76in) | HEIGHT – 1685mm (66in) | TRUCK BED – 1652mm (65in) LENGTH X 1490mm (59in) WIDTH X 397mm (16in) DEPTH | WHEELS – 16”-18” | LED Signature Headlights | Daytime Running Lights
INTERIOR

SEATING – 2 Passengers | CARGO – 34.5 cu ft | Digital Display For Driver | Wide Format Center Display | Premium Seat and Trim Material | Bluetooth Connectivity | Premium Sound System

But at $36,000 before incentives, the price is quite aggressive for a new company.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 12, 2021

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

As cool as that looks, how many are they expecting to sell? A few dozen? A hundred? I can't imagine the market for lifted 80s EV minitruck/UTEs is all that big, which is a problem if they ever want to make money.

I'll buy one lol

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Because making a brand new electric vehicle from scratch is incredibly difficult to do? The entire drivetrain and electrical system are different than ICE cars, let alone the safety regulations. You also need new assembly lines to make the electric motors and other things that make up that system.

THEN you have the mountains of code that programmers have to create to handle all of these brand new sensors, including traction control which is entirely different from ice cars, and all of them are paid a ton of money from Tesla, Rivian, or Lucid.

And THEN, you still need to procure all of the batteries and essential components for all of the circuit boards, and there is a massive global chip shortage right now.

I am saying that it takes a LOT of time and effort to bring all of those things together. It's not just “throw some batteries and an electric motor in a car.”

That's how you end up with a 60k entry price or whatever Rivian trucks are priced at. Not everything has to be bespoke and optimized for maximum performance. Surely there are more off the shelf solutions.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Charles posted:

Legacy automakers can adapt EV tech to their ICE platforms, but my 2017 Kia Soul EV, which doesn't have any advanced self-driving like features, has an air-cooled 27kwh battery, still had an MSRP of ~37k in 2017. There's no one simple trick to make things cheaper, though yeah, it would be better if you could get off the shelf solutions for driving aids from Bosch or whomever.

That's just it, why does a EV need driving aids? I know automakers make all their profits from these add ons, but there is no inherent reason why we need to stuff all this tech into a EV.

Guess I just don't get some of the decisions the auto industry is making. The new Jeep Wagoneer is over a 100k.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 14, 2021

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Godholio posted:

I mean...

Hah yea...

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Mzuri posted:

I'm shopping for an EV to replace my aging tiny Suzuki for commuting and day trips.

It's going to be a daily 45km commute both ways, with max. 200km day trips 10-12 times/year. I've test driven the 2019 Model 3 and a 2019 Kia e-Soul, and both cars will comfortably fit two adults and two kids (7 and 10) for when we do day trips. HOWEVER (and you knew this was coming), we're getting a golden retreiver field type puppy this summer that will be joining us for day trips in a safety cage. I can't see the dog having a good time in the Model 3 with the low, closed-off boot, which basically rules that out. The e-Soul seems a more promising, but I'm very unsure if the boot is big enough to fit a small golden. Any experienced dog owners with an e-Soul, who can give input?

I should also state that we're on a budget so sadly, a Model Y or X is out of the picture, as is the Ioniq 5 or any other brand new EV really (I'm in Europe so there is no used Model Y market, before you ask).

Are they selling MGs in Europe? MG 5 EV seems like it'll fit your needs. Station wagon layout with a storage space in the back big enough for any dog.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Storage is not very hard, you don't get YOUR battery back you just get A battery. The number you need as spares is really low compared to the number of units in operation you have. You could manage the demand problem pretty effectively by using fast charging for the batteries once they come off the cars that are coming in. If a swap takes 5 minutes and a full charge takes four hours, you need at most 48 inventoried batteries for each swap position to ensure that there's always a battery for the customer. Hardly insurmountable inventory and space problems.

And this isn’t even theoretical anymore. Nio is already widely implementing swap stations throughout china. The Gen 2 swap stations hold 13 batteries in storage and can do a max of 312 swaps in a day. The stations aren’t even that big, about the size of 2 shipping containers.

Here’s a great video showing the first and second generation swapping stations as well as a breakdown of their advantages and disadvantages. Kind of long winded but has some good info such as the breakdown of costs compared to DC fast charge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k_G8CwY1rU

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 26, 2021

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
any Swedish goons try the BYD or Xpeng EV's yet?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Wish these were coming to the US. Sub-16k EV hatch with blade batteries NEDC 405km range.

BYD EA1/Dolphin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63wCfqSQp8c

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 12, 2021

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

LionArcher posted:

Nobody in here taking about the Toyota EV’s they announced? Shameful.

Are these the ones that are based off of the BYD platform? Could be cool, byd has some interesting battery tech.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

MrOnBicycle posted:

Yup that’s the one. Apparently not an EV, but yeah looking at the website it looks better than the MG.

Lynk and Co's EV will be under the Zeeker brand name.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Nfcknblvbl posted:

The main downside to buying a Tesla at the moment is they're kind of long in the tooth on their development cycle. Who knows when their next generation of batteries comes along, and their lack of 800V charging capabilities means newer EVs (like the EV6) have better DCFC curves.

Edit: Most of all when I sell my Model 3 Performance, I'll miss the software. All the other makers are several years away from giving their owners unrestricted API access with full telemetry, and the amount of features added to my car via updates in the past 3 1/2 years is staggering.

How many software features do you really need in a car though?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

gwrtheyrn posted:

Why would you not coat your EV in EVOO instead?

Lower smoke point, if your EV reaches high speeds the friction will cause it to smoke too much, increasing drag. You really want to implement a high smoke point oil for best efficiency.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 18, 2022

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

simplefish posted:

I'm started looking at the MG ZS EV and seriously considering it.

7 year battery and motor warranty, 12-36 months(I think?) for other parts.

Has/does anyone owned one?
Would you recommend or warn against getting one?

Everything I've read is that it's a good capable EV, nothing fancy but you'll get a lot for the money. Probably best to just test drive one.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I personally don't want Google or Apple anywhere near my car.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

MustardFacial posted:

If you want an EV sedan and don't want a Tesla and can't afford any of the German options, it's pretty much your only choice.

I am desperate to test drive one but the only dealership is 40km away in a city I never go to anymore.

if your in the US.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
I mean, no ones fills their trunk with ice and shrimp, why would you do it with your frunk??

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Good news, we have an EV wagon! :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCwrWjEATf0

The trunk seems a bit disappointing, just ~10cm deeper than the Fit. The MGs are generally pretty affordable, this one is around 30k usd or gbp it seems and looks nicer than a Dacia.

E: Two hundred km highway range when it's not even cold isn't that great though

This is like a 2 or 3 year old platform, which could explain the lower mileage. Latest MG electric hatch seems to be getting rave reviews with close to 300mile range.

https://youtu.be/ad0coz3o01c

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Nov 7, 2022

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Speleothing posted:

I was not aware of any EV school bus companies. It's an obvious choice, since the routes are not very long. Did you see any manufacturer info?

Looks like the bus from a company called Green Power Motor Company, never heard of the, fire.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of rails, has anyone tried an EV bus... but on rails yet? Seems like that might work pretty well and be mostly self-driving.

Your basically describing this, but with the added hassles of actual rails.

https://www.ladbible.com/news/interesting-china-has-self-driving-train-that-doesnt-use-tracks-20210519

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
BYD just launched their new upscale brand Yangwang. Two models so far U8 SUV and U9 super car?

https://cnevpost.com/2023/01/05/byd-launches-yangwang-brand-debuts-suv-u8-supercar-u9/

not a huge fan of the face, rest looks pretty good. some interesting tech.
https://carnewschina.com/2023/01/05/byd-yangwang-u8-r1-launched-in-china/

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 5, 2023

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Tell me about this because I'm not really seeing an equivalent to the Model 3 or Polestar 2 here

There are plenty, just not in the US.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Anything specifically, aside from that abominable VinFast thing or the Chinese models that aren't here for safety reasons?

What safety reasons would those be? Anything from BYD, NIO, Xpeng etc will have better build quality than a Tesla and similar safety to any other car maker out there.

NIO et5, BYD Seal, and Xpeng P7 are all sedans which compare well to a Tesla model 3 while being quite a bit cheaper, or at least were before the Tesla price drop in China.

Chinese models aren’t in the US is based purely on politics and protectionism.

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 7, 2023

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Just get a Chang Li, it’s got doors and everything!

GlassEye-Boy fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Personal trucks for the most part are absurd, may as well go fully ridiculous with the design.