Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
After reading stories of how vile HOAs can be, I suggest you clear it with someone first. Before you get the entire electrical bill forwarded to you with penalties attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I do cross country motorcycles trips with groups of people, and the challenges of an electric motorcycle are not what you think.

First and foremost, the touring demographic is in mid-50s and above range. This is not the age group that is going to fiddle with four different apps to find the nearest charging station. The boomers are still printing out map pages, while many others are opting to trust standalone GPS units such as Garmin. Not because they are better than your average cell phone, but because that is what they are used to rely on 15 years ago, when garmin was cutting edge technology. And the older people get, the less likely they are to change anything in their routine.

The whole water cooling Luddite outrage anecdote is not something that has any bearing on real world events. Just because people on internet voice strong opinions, does not mean people are not buying those motorcycles. Harley Davidson decided to add water cooling to an existing power plant, which was alarming to people who watch Harley Davidson fuckup much smaller upgrades. It was a stop gap, until they designed a whole new properly water-cooled engine, which is coming out this year by the way. Not that it's going to save the company, but power to them.

And yes, electric is the way to go for cross-country touring and here's why

1. Touring bikes ride at low RPMs in higher gear more than anything else, so high torque of an electric motor is an ideal setup for this type of riding. You need torque to move weight, and touring on the light motorcycle is actually more tiresome than on a heavy long land barge.

2. Range is very important to a touring bike, but motorcycles naturally make more stops than cars. Partly because rider needs to stretch, and partly because limited motorcycle gas tanks rarely let you go past 250 mi. Stopping every 150-200 miles and charging for 30 minutes, would be The exact same thing that we do already.

3. Motorcycle maintenance is more frequent than cars, but just as expensive. Minimizing wear and tear would definitely be a welcome thing and a boost to resale value.

In all reality, electric bikes will probably have to wait until the millennials age to a point where cross country touring is appealing. At 41 years old, I'm often the youngest person in the group. Bike touring is not on the rise across the board, it's often a thing exclusive to retired boomers. $30,000 motorcycles are selling at much lower rate than $8,000 bikes. So producing an electric tourer is a losing proposition from expected sales standpoint.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Completely unrelated to my above post, but I just discovered that Google maps does charger locations same way it does gas stations. Clock on your account icon, then Settings, then Electric vehicle Settings. Select your charger options. Profit

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 2, 2020

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've realized that an average person looking for an electric vehicle will have a hard time figuring out which ones are actually exist for sale, other than Tesla. There is no category to search by on autotrader/Craigslist/Facebook other than hoping that someone actually used "ev" or "electric" as the keywords. I really hate that

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

elbkaida posted:

On autotrader you can filter for fuel type and it gives you electric and various hybrid options
Thank you kindly. Didn't realize that I don't have to select make and model in order to access fuel options.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Weird, but ok

https://insideevs.com/news/437552/video-tesla-model-3-boating-swimming-deep-water/

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is anyone planning to build an electric cargo van in the US? Even something the size of transit connect will do, but ideally full size

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
EV sales, first half of 2020

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/08/12/tesla-model-3-y-chevy-bolt-nissan-leaf-audi-e-tron-sales-us-ev-sales-report/

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

This video stresses me out
It looks a lot more nauseating than it is, because GoPro camera has a stupidly wide lens, meant for close shots.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Jimong5 posted:

Just picked up a fully loaded Premier Bolt for my wife today, turns out GM employee discount and the Costco rebate stack, ended up getting almost $14,000 off the MSRP for 31.7k otd. As a bonus the dealership had a black Friday deal and threw in a 55" TV on top of it.

I'm not a Costco member nor GM employee and my otd quote was 30.5 for the 2020 non-premier version.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Godholio posted:

I've been figuring it's because if you give it AWD and an extra inch of ground clearance you can call it a crossover.
This.

In my personal experience, guys seem to be all about the utility of a minivan, while women scoff and walk straight to the Highlander or similar CUV/SUV. It's a stigma issue

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Humerus posted:

I'm not gonna lie, they almost had me interested.

Doesn't seem like they're going through the proper channels to make this a 50-state legal road vehicle. More like closed road shuttle bus from the looks of things.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

DoomTrainPhD posted:

That's not a supposedly :)
Shut up and take my money

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

The cars are physically touching, that’s not really possible without bumping. Not sure why it’s supposed to be a good parking job?

They're called bump-ers for a reason, dude

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I want one for work. Currently shopping for Promaster/Transit and this would suit our needs better

Is there pricing and details to look at somewhere? Also, what is it called?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Speleothing posted:

I'm really wondering if the range test included a bed cover. The 1000lbs of load is really good. But aero will also be a big range boost.
I was under impression that bed covers do absolutely nothing for aerodynamics and mileage. Do you know different?

Edit: https://youtu.be/r3aqHbD-O9E

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 29, 2021

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

priznat posted:

I remember hearing something that it was the trucks that took off the solid tail gate for either nothing or a mesh/"grid" tailgate that got worse aero/mileage, because with the solid tailgate it forms a vortex or something that actually smooths the airflow or some counter intuitive thing.
I have edited my original post to include this link.

https://youtu.be/r3aqHbD-O9E

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What is stopping Ford dealers from charging stupid money on top of the MSRP once your order number comes up?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've seen several houses in west Philadelphia, where people installed curbside personal chargers outside their home. It's perfectly legal with an appropriate permit apparently. But that's on public street, these houses do not have personal parking at all.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just rent a car for your road trip and solve all the problems at once.

For the same reason you don't need to daily drive a truck because one time you may need a load of mulch or something.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

mobby_6kl posted:

Well that would defeat the purpose of the road trip, which is to drive a Miata through mountain passes
Then rent a Miata? Am I missing something?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

Lol what? Lemme just check Enterprise for miatas... Nope, hang on, I'll check Avis... Giant Chevrolet Turd, close enough right?

Maybe if you were less of a condescending turd you might have bothered with a simple Google search?

https://www.alamo.com/en/rental-cars/us/cars/compact-convertible-ctar.html

https://turo.com/us/en/car-rental/united-states/trenton-nj/mazda/mx-5-miata/618536

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Charles posted:

You're at least the second person to be forcibly given delivery in this thread, lmao.
EV Thread mk3 - Another successfully Forced Tesla delivery ITT

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I would happily buy a $30k Tesla if it had less range and accelerated no faster than a Camry. Doesn't matter if it would be limited by software or hardware

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The existing fiat 500e actually has solid electric drivetrain and components. People are reporting 120 mi in City driving, California weather. It's also slightly quicker than a gasoline car. It's more comparable to the older Leaf, and priced about the same on a used car market.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I tried to buy the electric Transit van, and apparently the tall roof option is not available? Really don't want to pay $50,000 for a van with less than 5' of vertical space.

The 100-120 mile range is perfect for my construction business. And I can guarantee you, that 6 months after those vans make it into hands of tradesmen, we'll come up with all kinds of range extender options. I was already pricing out solar panel roof setup, about $550 in parts.

What I would really like is a plug-in hybrid option from any of the big three manufacturers. It would be best for camper van set up as well, since you can always bring extra diesel with you, when heading out to wilderness or whatever.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

DoomTrainPhD posted:

It makes the R1T look like a decent deal!

Isn't the Rivian truck about Colorado size? Imagine when you need to use it for actual work, Ford wins in every category

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That sounds horrible

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why do you have to have an electric car in the first place? There's a reason used economy cars are the student staple.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

cruft posted:

TIL our 2017 LEAF might be worth $15k.

What in the hell. That's more than we paid for it. I guess that means we paid more for the Bolt, so it probably evens out. But still.

Car prices are up 30% on average and supplies are very limited. Everything is worth more across the board, so keep that in mind shopping for your next car.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Shipping a car long distances is similar to purchasing a new/used car, in the sense that you have to negotiate the price, and that price can vary wildly. If you reach out to the actual drivers, and have the luxury of waiting for them to pass nearby, you can get you vehicle shipped at bare minimum cost. But if you go though a national middleman service and need to fit into a ridgid timeframe, prepare to get hosed.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I wonder how they'll handle this in North America. Will they add CCS1 stalls, sell Tesla->CCS1 adapters or both?
They will handle it by not sharing poo poo until forced by law

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What kind of climate do you live in? Putting a breaker box outside is not a smart thing where I live

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I'm looking at a lighting. Ford wants to add 500 dollars for the charging cable. Is this normal? Does not seem normal.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Ford finally emailed me saying it's time to order the Lightning I reserved on day one. The model I want is $9k more than originally priced, and it's no longer eligible for the tax credit so it's effectively $16.5k more. gently caress that.

You can still turn around and resell it for 20K more. Check the local listings to see what they're going for.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why do you blame ford for something that was obviously dealership shenanigans?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

The Polish Pirate posted:

What was the total out the door price if you don't mind me asking? I'm thinking about buying this exact one
this exact one may have been sold, from the looks of things

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Russian Bear posted:

I hate this future.
Buttons?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
How good/bad is 2019 Hyundai Kona limited electric? Does anyone have one and could share experiences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My dad has one. I don't care for it. Here is an attempt at a pretty objective review.

Pros
The powertrain is decent. It's got a little bit of punch.
Heated seats and steering wheel work well
The heads up display is good
Adjusting regenerative braking level with a hand paddle is fairly convenient
Has wireless charging and carplay and all that poo poo
It handles surprisingly well
Controls and displays are logical and fairly well laid out

Cons
It's loving ugly inside and out
It's tiny and the interior space utilization is bad
Rear visibility sucks
suspension is somewhat primitive and power delivery is bad with any kind of steering angle
its low-speed noise is one of the most irritating nosies i have ever heard
it got recalled for fires or some poo poo and he couldn't charge it in the garage lol

I don't think it's actually very good. It's definitely better than the gas Kona because the powertrain is better, but it's also more expensive and equally lovely in every other way. I would buy a Bolt instead.

edit: imo the Niro solves some of the appearance problems and seems to have somewhat better packaging so if I had to buy a Korean EV i'd get that one
Thanks for the write-up, I really appreciate it. This would be the car for Mom, who is in her late '60s and drives about 250 mi a month. She drove the gasoline Kona and liked it, and I have a lead on a reasonably priced used electric. The reason she likes Kona is because it's the perfect seat height and ergonomics. Not because of the gadgets or whatever, but it does check all the safety boxes like lane assist and collision warning. Glad to hear about heated seats being powerful, it's an important factor.

I imagine all spontaneous combustion issues have been solved? Is the electric Hyundai susceptible to easy theft like the rest of them?