Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm glad to hear that Nissan finally decided to make the Ariya use the CCS standards in NA and EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

My Energica Ego's regenerative braking in the 'high' setting is more than twice as effective as my Model 3's 'normal' regen setting. It's nuts.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Congrats, Indiana_Krom!

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I've done two 5k+ mile road trips with my family in our Teslas, and steering assist with traction aware cruise control was invaluable when it came to fatigue.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

Autosteer is amazing for highway driving but totally unreliable for city roads. It does take away all of the stress of driving on long trips, I arrive feeling relatively relaxed/refreshed now. I just wish they wouldn't gatekeep the lane change function to FSD. It would be nice if I could just manually change lanes to pass a truck without disabling AP and being forced to re-enable it. I think eventually they will be forced by the market to offer this, most other adaptive cruise control systems I've used can cope with that.

I had the Enhanced Autopilot trial enabled during one of my long trips. The lane change & navigate on Autopilot features were pretty bad; lane changes were VERY slow, half-hearted, and canceled 1/3 of the time even in perfectly clear conditions. It would take off-ramps at 20 mph UNDER the speed limit. I don't think you're missing much at the moment.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

Oh I don't want it to change lanes for me. Right now if you hit your signal indicator it just dumps you out of AP. I just want AP to resume automatically after I complete the lane change. It's a minor thing but on a long drive I will pass a lot.

Gotcha. I agree that it's weird you have to tap-tap again after finishing a lane change instead of automatically resuming after completing it.

Edit:

Wibla posted:

When was this?

Late December 2018. I've been reading up on Tesla Motors Club forums enough lately that it's hardly improved since then.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 16, 2020

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tesla's false promises via future updates is unfortunately a trend other manufacturers are trying to copy.

In a few years, most auto companies will have OTA updates in their cars, and we'll look back, and miss that we used to have feature complete cars when we bought them. It's just like how awesome games were in the 90s.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Indiana_Krom posted:

Today I had to move my old Altima to open up some parking for my brother in law who is coming to get it tomorrow. Got in, grabbed the shift lever (hey, at least I remembered how that works!), and then when it wouldn't shift I remembered that you have to start these things to make them move. Only the second day of driving a Tesla and I'm already forgetting how to drive a normal car.

At least after that moment of EV induced memory loss, I remembered to turn it off when I was done moving it.

First time I rented a car, I kept parking it, and walked away with it running.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I hate how the Porsche Taycan doesn’t regen off-throttle, you have to use the brake petal no matter what.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

pointsofdata posted:

I genuinely don't get this - if you're off throttle do you not want to just coast? Why do you want braking action from the car other than when you're pressing the brake pedal?

It’s fine if you want to coast but if it’s an EV, give the driver the option to have their own level of regen choice.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Bum The Sad is the reason why Tesla’s crash into fire trucks.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I had my foot on the brake while someone in front of me did the same thing yesterday, I could feel the pedal (yay i spelled it right!) dig in WAY harder to stop. Good poo poo.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Yuns posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone been able to Scandi flick their non-performance AWD Model 3? (obviously I'm asking about on tracks or closed roads not asking about public hooliganism). Aside from dyno mode, is it possible to controlled oversteer a nonperformance (i.e. no track mode) 3?

You'd have to pull a wheel spin sensor in order to defeat the traction control, not sure if that's any better than driving with dyno mode enabled.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I put pin-to-drive on my Model 3 on so my kids can't put it in drive while I'm cleaning the car, and they want to play around and watch Frozen II on the screen.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

brand engager posted:

That's a cool sound

While you can't buy that Mach E 1400, you can get a similar sound on two wheels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2N64uaxB00

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

All EVs should be sold with straight cut gears as an option.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ola posted:

Speaking of charging networks, are there CCS adapters to Teslas in the US? In Europe, since the S/X can get adapters and the 3/Y comes with CCS stock, they can charge on just about any fast charger. Hell, an S/X with a CHAdeMO adapter can charge absolutely everywhere, including getting 16.5 kW out of the 43 kW special snowflake Type 2s built for Renault Zoes.

Nope, only the $450 CHAdeMO in North America so far. It's not as big of a deal here since fast charging is pretty sparse and expensive compared to Tesla's Supercharger network. I'm sure that'll change a few years from now.

That being said, I have DC fast charged my Energica Ego several times for free in my area.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tesla has too much of a stronghold on EVs in NA right now. Jaguar's and Audi's weak EV sales likely put VW off from initially selling in NA until demand gets better. I'm banking on GM making non-Tesla EVs cool here.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Yuns posted:

Jag and Audi were sort of hamstrung by pricing.

I don't agree, the gas-equivalent models are priced fairly close.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

EV buyers and Q8 buyers are not the same.
Fair enough.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

has nothin to do with Tesla and a lot more to do with the US market being not good for hatchbacks. VW has an EV that ought to sell well in NA. Why bring the thing that won't sell first?

The Bolt's a hatchback, and it's selling well enough that GM's updating it.

Edit:

Yuns posted:

I agree that they are close to the Q7 series but I mean vis a vis the 3 and Y (not so much the X which is closer in price)

Yeah, I see now that it's not fair to compare the Q8 with the E-Tron, my bad.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 23, 2020

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you cannot seriously believe that

in Q2 it was outsold by such luminaries as:
Chrysler 300
Mitsubishi Outlander
Acura ILX
Volkswagen Beetle (!)
Chevrolet Spark
Mercedes A Class
Dodge Journey

Why didn't you at least provide your opinion on why Chevy's keeping the Bolt, and updating it?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I highly doubt the Bolt's going to die, especially since it shares the same platform as the Bolt EUV. A lot of the Bolt's interior sucks, not just the seats, and that's a product of making a car which has a 259 mile range but still being affordable.

Bolt owners are largely very satisfied with their cars, their rep's going to help GM in the long run, and I think that's why GM's updating this outsold car as you said.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Here in the Atlanta area, there's tons of CCS Type 1 DCFC stations that are free. Most of these free stations aren't fast but my Energica Ego only charges at 26kW so they're more than enough for me. But any car charging at that speed would get 96 mph.

In a way I'm glad Teslas don't have the ability to use CCS Type 1 in North America so they won't overcrowd what little stations there are out there.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 29, 2020

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

DC Fast Charging for free at my local energy company.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Uh, what the heck? I can cruise at 70 mph with cruise control on for 100+ miles and fast charge for 20 minutes and repeat. This Ego can do long trips, man.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

I haven't ridden an electric bike yet, but I agree that the instant torque doesn't sound as exciting as it is for a car. My bike "only" has 123 hp and not much torque at lower RPMs, but as you said my biggest issue with acceleration is keeping the front end down.

Any respectable electric motorcycle won't give you full torque at low speeds for more reasons than just looping the bike, and I don't notice it much until I'm going at least 50 mph on my Ego. Where the torque helps you most of all is having the acceleration whenever you need it, and it's nice not having to drop a gear or two to pass someone on the highway since the power's always there when you need it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Every time I see E-Tron I think of the Avengers movies. Wonder when we'll ever see the models Audi put in those movies on the streets.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Bum the Sad posted:

Allegedly the way Tesla’s like to deep cycle the 12 volt along with no climate control for it would be really rough on a Lithium-ion and not last as long as a deep cycle rated lead acid. I base this off one website and nothing else.

LiFePO4 batteries are basically indestructible, and motorcycle owners love them. I replaced my CBR600RR's AGM battery with one, and that thing could crank forever. Deep cycling doesn't hurt them one bit. A lot of Tesla owners drop in LiFePO4 batteries made for motorcycles.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Check out this cruiser:

https://electrek.co/2020/08/04/evoke-6061-long-range-cruiser-electric-motorcycle-launched-15-min-dc-fast-charging/

It's pretty amazing if it can DCFC at the 125 kW they claim. Sucks that the AC charger's only 1.8 kW.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm more interested in seeing the Rivians than the LiveWire in the Long Way Up. I think it's pretty interesting that Rivian built out a charging network before taking the trip, I guess it beats having a truck with a generator following them around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggu11EJo4L8

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

I imagine this mostly comes from battery advancements - more energy dense, less expensive.

I think so too. My Energica Ego's now replaced by the Ego+ which has 60% more battery capacity while weighing less and costing the same as my bike when it was new.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Westy543 posted:

Cadillac Lyriq unveiled tonight. I stole some details and pics from electrek's slide summary, pls no punish:

They want to offer rwd / awd options, 50/50 weight ratio, 19 kW (100 amp box) AC charging option, and a 300+ mile battery. They said they're 80% to production and it'll hit dealerships in the end of 2022. Cadillac said these will be available nationally across the US, they are not restricted to California. It will support up to 150 kW DCFC and feature super cruise.

It also has a cool 33 inch screen.

Maybe it's a good idea they come with a 19 kW onboard charger, that kind of makes up for the fact that there's limited public DCFC in North America. Strange that this car won't have the 800v 350kW-capable charging battery, maybe they're not ready for it yet? I bet the AWD drive model's going to be at least $70k.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

sanchez posted:

Public AC chargers with that much juice are rare, the only ones I can think of are Tesla destination chargers. Most public AC around me is 6kw on a good day.

Then they'll use Tesla destination chargers. https://www.evseadapters.com/products/tesla-to-j1772-adapter/

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Are those Canada prices?

I really like the ioniq, it’s one of the most efficient Cars out there.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

SpaceCadetBob posted:

From a pure financial viewpoint, leases are still terrible.

It’s also terrible to buy and sell cars every 3 years. Some folks like new cars. This wouldn’t work for me since I do plenty of road trips, and I’d go way over the allowed mileage.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I wonder if the new Ioniq vehicles will be on a shared platform like the existing one or if they'll be 100% EV.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Yuns posted:

I'm not sure that Lotus will be even to match Tesla levels of build quality.

Outside making a good battery and drive train setup, I don't think Tesla's held up to high quality standards.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

CannonFodder posted:

Do EV motorcycles have a lower center of gravity than gas motorcycles? I know with cars having the battery pack low means a very low center of gravity and better handling characteristics, and I'm wondering if the same is true for 2 wheels.

I'm not really sure how much a change the center of mass is from ICE to EV when it comes to motorcycles, though I'm sure it's not as drastic of a change as a skateboard design EV cars. My Energica's battery sits pretty much exactly where the engine would, the electric motor is where the rear shock would normally be, the inverter is where most gas tanks are, and the rear shock is installed on the side of the bike instead of under the tail.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The fully specced Polestar 2 is competitive with the Model 3 AWD in price in the UK. The trade war between USA and China must have something to do with Polestar's high cost due to them being built out east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Looks cool but $10k?! Oof!