Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
So in EV-adjacent land, Hyundai is doing what seems to me to be a pretty ridiculous lease on a Nexo FCV: $379/month with $2,500 signing fee.

I'm in a somewhat unique position. I live in an apartment, so no chargers for me. I also live in Sacramento, about 10 minutes from a station and with a second one on a typical driving route for me. I very rarely travel outside the Sacramento area, and when I do it's either to the Bay or to the mountains -- well within its range. Both stations near me are 100% renewable according to the California Fuel Cell Partnership so I'm confident these are using methane to generate the juice.

Usual FCV rules apply -- free fuel throughout the lease, $4,500 state rebate through CVRP (when it gets funded again). Not sure if the $8,000 federal tax credit applies on a lease?

Am... am I nuts? Is this really a good idea? What stupid trap am I walking into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Watch for real accessibility and availability of h2 at stations. Like the 1 station at harris ranch right now has enough h2 for ~20 Nexos, which over a major holiday that might run out. Also sometimes stations that are listed as publicly accessible aren't really.

And H35 stations can only effectively fill up your tank halfway so another consideration.

Yeah I've noticed outages are not exactly uncommon. All the stations here are H70.

Ola posted:

One site blew up and so they all got closed down. Haven't opened up since, all owners have stranded assets. Of course a lease would be less of a commitment. And of course I have no idea how likely it is that they would suddenly stop where you are. Is this risk part of the contract perhaps? Do they own or partner with whoever owns the filling station?

With free fuel and a somewhat limited risk, the trap isn't very big IMHO. It would be nice is this thread could have a representative in the H2 camp. Just like with short range EVs, you can always rent for long drives.

The two stations here (and the proposed third) are Shell. I also happen to work for the government agency that gives grants for hydrogen stations, so I should be able to see the terms/conditions there easy enough.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Well I'm doing it. I'm dumb.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Agreed

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Well it's done and the Nexo is home. Like all major purchases I will have buyer's remorse for the next week or so.

I really like the ride though, as someone who has never driven an EV or really anything post-2008 before. Just feels like a regular-rear end car, except smoother and with a better screen.

All three stations in Sacramento currently have hydrogen!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I… um… like the cruise control on the Nexo so far?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

cruft posted:

What's it like to drive? Does it have multiple gears?

It’s very smooth and comfy, almost like driving a cloud. No gears.

bird with big dick posted:

What's it called? Something worse than autopilot, I'd wager.
Gundam Mode

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Nah it goes in as a gas at something like 10,000psi (70 megapasval) into three tanks around the back. It’s only 6 kilograms but still takes up a decent amount of space.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
One thing about this Nexo puzzles me. There’s paddles to ramp the regenerative braking up or down, but as it’s only a hybrid-level, 1.5kWh-ish battery it doesn’t really ever seem to matter much anyway. Not sure when I’d want to adjust it one way or the other.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Ola posted:

Can you see how full the battery is? And can you brake into an intersection from 40-50 mph using only regen?

There's a power map screen thing showing power coming to/from the battery and/or the fuel cell, but I can't tell if the battery icon show a charge status or not. The infotainment manual isn't particularly helpful here.

And no, you can certainly feel the deceleration when you take your foot off the gas* but it's definitely not enough to stop the car in a reasonable distance.

*lol it's literally a gas pedal

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

bird with big dick posted:

What percentage of hydrogen is currently created via electrolysis?

The station map at the Fuel Cell Partnership shows the energy source for each station. The two near me are 100% renewable so I imagine those are electrolysis. A lot of others are just 33% renewable so they're probably using methane and counting the renewable portfolio standard as the 33%.

I filled up for the first time today. I forgot to take pics of the nozzle itself, sorry, but you've probably seen other pics of them. The base of the nozzle where it connects to the hose feels chilled, maybe 45 degrees or so.

The first time I tried to fill up it didn't dispense anything, so I had to try again. Someone gave me a hand this time. The station was empty by the time I got there but when I left ten minutes later there were two others waiting, sheesh.

Got a full fill-up.

The "five minutes to fill up" thing is probably close to accurate when you know what you're doing, but there's only two pumps and one of them was offline, so until there's more stations there will probably be more of a wait. Maybe FCEV owners hang out together while waiting to fill up, I dunno.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

MrPablo posted:

Thanks, these are fascinating.

I don't think fuel cell vehicles make much sense when compared to BEVs as a general purpose replacement for ICE vehicles.

Hell, same

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Went for a spin around town late tonight, just on the freeways. Driving is fun again now that there's far less guilt and cars cutting in front of me just means I get to watch the adaptive cruise control work its thing more. This is great.

The range estimate is kinda lowballing me -- driving 47 miles cut the available range by 36 miles. It's not an especially cool night so okay then.

One other thing I haven't figured out -- Hyundai makes a deal of how this thing cleans the air as it goes, because the fuel cell needs very pure air to function properly. Where are the pollutants going? I can't find anything about a filter needing to be changed.

I can definitely confirm it's not one-pedal driving at regen level 3 -- slowest it will go with no foot on either pedal is 4-5mph on flat ground.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
it gets hot af in a car wash with no a/c what the hell are you doing

edit: fcevs are not eligible for a discount at shell if you get a car wash

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
What if you put charge ports on both sides.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Qi, but for EVs.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the taycan has this as an option

link plz to the insta of assholes using both sides at once at public chargers to try to make it go faster

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I don't know if it's my dealer or Hyundai but where the hell is my fuel card dammit

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hydrogen FCEV update: Do you make this blue-hydrogen deal with the devil

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

VideoGameVet posted:

'Renewable'

95% of this is from Fracked Natural Gas.

I'm assuming it's the base 33% of California's Renewable Portfolio Standard, so probably whatever hydro/wind/solar is used by SMUD.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I got my hydrogen fuel card!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

wolrah posted:

Obviously regen settings need to be static, no one wants to have to adjust them every time you start the car,

My Nexo resets the regen every time :mad:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Nfcknblvbl posted:

What is it with EV owners and their vanity plates?

I'd get one for my Nexo but I'm sure every permutation of HNDNBRG has been taken.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
~~hydrogen stories~~

I have learned that the reason I can’t always pull the gas pump out right away is because it freezes to the car’s receptacle. Had a nice little ring of frost around the car’s nozzle when I did get it out, maybe 90 seconds after the fill up.

Also the car has a bit too much off-the-line pep for the tires sometimes. Made a little squeal at a green light last night.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Kinda feel like an rear end in a top hat for getting my FCEV now. Sorry everyone :(

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Fair enough, thanks :)

I'm not quite at one month yet but I'll say I really like the dang car.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Fuel Cell status update: I had to fill up at a blue hydrogen station last night because there's an outage at the plant that makes renewable hydrogen from landfill gas.

The blue hydrogen pump is literally at an oil terminal, just to drive the point home.

Felt weird man

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

SlowBloke posted:

Blue/grey hydrogen is PR for big oil so it's natural to feel weird, don't worry about it.

Just look at this lawn ornament

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
HFCV update: currently sitting fourth in line at the one H2 pump in Sacramento that’s still operating due to an outage.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

At least I'm not this guy I saw yesterday

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The Romans built it in 392 to keep the Visigoths from freeloading.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Charles posted:

It also actively responds to close-range low-speed cut-ins by other drivers

*middle finger pops out of hood*

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
More like the Bug-E then.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just going to have a tiny rant here and complain that the Subaru Solterra and Toyota bz4x/busy forks have the exact same VIN stem, which is going to make distinguishing between the two for purposes of VIN decoding very difficult. As that's part of my job, I am big mad.

BTW I'm the one who got that Nexo FCEV about a year back. I still like the car! Pity that they can't keep the stations running to save their lives tho.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

cruft posted:

I would like to hear more from the hydrogen car guy. Is it getting difficult to find refill stations? How is the price of hydrogen?

I think there's two parts to your first question, the existence of stations and their uptime.

The station map hasn't really changed much in the past year in terms of expanding reach -- they keep wanting to build stations in the bay area which already has a bunch. In theory I could (just barely) make it from SF to LA by filling first in San Jose and then in Santa Barbara, with about 100 miles of slack. Going north, there's nothing past Sacramento so you could make it to about Chico before having to turn back. I don't see anything expanding this range at the permitting state right now.

As for reliability.... yeah, no. There are three stations in Sacramento, with one about two miles from me. That one has been very flaky over the past year. I'd be surprised if its uptime was more than 60%, and has a real fun habit of going down during my five-minute drive to the station. In January the whole town was down to a single working pump, which itself saw wait times in the hours.

It's gotten somewhat better now, but the station near me has been down for the past week and a half anyway so gently caress you, Shell.

As for the price, it has ostensibly held steady at $16.45/kg, or about $8.00/GGE by my math, but when you lease a FCEV you get a card for free gas, and I think just about everyone leases. That part at least is pretty nice these days.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Max solar flux is about a horsepower per square meter on a good day, but solar panels are what maybe 15% efficient at most these days?

e: that works out to about 300w for 2 meters of solar panels on a car. now to see how wrong i am!

Tayter Swift fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jul 1, 2022

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The Solterra/Busy Forks piss me off because they share the same VIN pattern to the extent where you can’t tell one from the other from the VIN alone. Part of my job is tallying ZEV sales in my state by make/model and starting this quarter I just have to go :shrug: at that line.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
My Hyundai dealership snuck in a 10,000 annual milage limit on my Nexo lease when the ad said 12,000 :(

loving dealers, I swear.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Wrong drat thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hi, you might remember me as the idiot who bought a hydrogen fuel cell Nexo last year. I just wanted to mention that I spent four hours in line waiting to fill up last week because to of the three stations in Sacramento are busted and the third can only fill three cars an hour. Thank you, God Bless and Happy Holidays!