Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

50 new posts today, let’s see if anything constructi-… oh, this again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'll leave your fate in the hands of the thread. Sixxer worthy or free avatar / gangtag worthy? Have a vote to decide!

Needs a Mach E joke, sixxer

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

EV thread mk 3 - You paid for a handjob.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

Good lord, I just got quoted $2800 to run wire 40 ft in a straight line outside my house and into the back of my garage to add a 14-50 outlet. Should I be looking at <$1000?

If this is in the Bay Area, I’d jump on that. Im getting quotes of mid-3k for something like that over here. :negative:

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

How long would it be for like a VW ID4, Mach E, Ioniq 5, etc?

As a recent Mach-E owner, I ordered in mid-June and picked up the car a few days before Christmas, so a little over 6 months in my experience. YMMV of course, given supply chain issues and what not.

KingKapalone posted:

It seems like there are two price points: ~45 and ~65, and I don't think I could convince myself to get the more expensive one. I would most likely buy a used car since everything I've ever heard is that new is a waste of money, but you can't get these newly launched EVs used. Kind of goes back to my first question of is now the right time to get an EV assuming I am going to be getting a new (or used) car?

IMO, at this point I’d put down a (refundable) deposit on a new EV and just wait out however long it takes. While dealing with the Ford person, I was assured that even if the Mach-E came in and I wasn’t satisfied for whatever reason, I can still get my deposit back.

I wouldn’t spring for a used EV unless you happen to find a low-mileage unicorn like a Leaf or Bolt. No one is selling a used ID4/MachE/etc. without a dealer charging up the rear end on ADM for the next several months, if not year(s).

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

Zero One posted:

Speaking of MachE defects, Ford wants you to know this isn't a defect:

In the 5 times I’ve tried this whole hauling groceries, it’s worked only once. I’m actually glad it’s being by removed.

My previous vehicle was an Exploder that had the kick function to lift the trunk, and that only worked 2/3rds the time when I needed it to and I’d consider that a success.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

Three Olives posted:

and I was worried about interior heat from the glass roof in Texas, especially with non-ventilated pleather seats (Never thought I would ever consider pleather).

The glass roof appears to be tinted so i wouldn’t worry about heat coming in. It’ll be hot as balls on the outside but touching the glass on the inside is fine.

I really wanted cooling seats on the MachE (my last car had them) but I’ll manage.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

If the person isn’t there when you unplug, sure go for it.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

I’m still horrified by the marketing photos on the Mach-E.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

The Mach E just seems like such a pile/beta test of a product at this moment

Aside from the December stop sale preventing me from picking up my MachE from the dealer for a few days, it’s been good to me since then.

All EVs are poo poo in one way or another, just like ICE cars, just gotta hope one is a smaller pile than the others.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

EV thread mk 3 - My wife was murdered by a Hyundai dealership.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

I drive a Mach-E. I like it, it’s a nice car. I also picked up one of those license plate wraps which looks pretty nice.

Oh and here is a picture:

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

It’s a Yes vote for me btw.

cruft posted:

PS: I'm really curious about this license plate wrap thing, is it just a vinyl wotzit to go around the plate?

It’s pretty much vinyl. I picked it up from this site: https://licenseplatewrap.com/ The name is pretty generic but hey the CA DMV says it’s street legal so go ham

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

Buff Hardback posted:

There's part of me that will just throw money at Ford whenever they launch the Explorer EV.

This.

The moment the Explorer EV is up for preorder, I am jumping ship. Before the MachE, my previous two vehicles were the Explorer. It’s almost blind loyalty are this point.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

So here’s a trip report.

I drove down from SF to LA twice with the Mach-E the past few weeks. Some observations:

• Range anxiety wasn’t that bad honestly. I have the Premium trim, so I started off at 100% at 290 miles remaining (Ford estimates are 270 miles but it’s Summer and it’s hot so)
  • I was driving around 72-75mph through most of it, until I hit LA proper. Carpool lane helped a tad bit.

• I ended up stopping twice during each part of the trip; both were EA stations. One was at Firebaugh which was across the road from the Tesla SC area, took about 15-20 minutes. The other was in Bakersfield, near a Target/McDonald’s. I was at 27% and let it go to 80% as I was having lunch in McD, took about 35-40 minutes. I ended up reaching my destination with about 18-19% I think. Which is plenty to find a charger nearby since it’s SoCal.
  • I had my wife and kid (in a booster seat) so there really weren’t any complaints on comfort, besides the usual “Are we there yet” issues. In fact, both stops helped since it offered a pee break and some snacks with said stops.
  • On the way back to SF, I was recommended to go to the Lost Hills EA station, where I found out that only one out of the four stations was actually working and managed to get the lone station. Oh well.
  • For the first trip down to LA, I bought the monthly subscription for ABRP to see what I can tinker around with and it is quite conservative. Not that it’s bad but I’d rather have that conservative inaccuracy than the opposite.
  • I also had the EA app handy so it was good to check 10 miles from the EA station to see how busy the stalls were and whether we had to drive elsewhere.
  • With the second trip to LA, I used Ford navigation instead and I found it had a better analysis of the car since it was pretty much real-time with the percentages and miles to the destination. I don’t remember if Ford’s Navigation can check the availability of a charging stall, if so that would’ve been awesome; I ended up using the EA app to check anyway.
  • I didn’t have much of the 250 kWh credit from Ford/EA, so the first trip pretty much wiped it all out. With the second trip I spent about $40 traveling one way (EA charges $0.43/kWh). I keep track of how much is spent using the Road Trip app, so that was neat.

There’s probably more to add, but all in all would do again 10/10

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

2023 Mach-E prices were revealed:

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

Who loving cares if the brake lights are on, just drive forward you dingus

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

I've been charging my Mach-E whenever it gets below 30% which happens once a week or so. I've been reading that this is bad and I should be plugging it in and keeping it plugged according to this page: https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries ... so I guess I've haven't been janitoring my battery as efficiently as I should. Oh well

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

To be fair, OTA updates have been getting better. The first couple of updates on my Mach-E took about 5-6 months once they were published. Now, it’s more like a month or so.

As of today I got the 3.5.4.2 update which was originally released last month. Here’s the current version history for reference:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Power-Up_Version_History#Versions

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

I got my Mach-E this weekend. The dealer process needs so much streamlining. A lot of that should have been done ahead of time.

When I do my taxes with FreeTaxUSA, is it going to ask me if I should get the tax credit?

Also what's the "I'm at my destination" protocol? Just open the door and walk away? I think that locks it since I hear the honk but does it turn it off? This last time I pressed the start button to turn it off and just walked away but that's was no honk. Not sure if it's locked.

I don’t remember off the top of my head, but I don’t think it asks you? Though, you’ll have to fill out separate form, 8936, anyway: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8936.pdf

Usually, that’s how I’d walk away too. If the honk is annoying when you start walking, just press and hold the “7|8” and “9|0” buttons on the driver door. The side mirrors will fold and the lights will blink, which will also lock the doors.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

withoutclass posted:

On a separate topic, how does one even go about getting an EV? I see a lot of mentions of putting orders in and then waiting months or little to no stock anywhere and that seems like a pretty frustrating state of affairs as well. Do you put in a deposit or something?

It’s pretty much go on the website, put a deposit (usually $100-$500), wait 3-12+ months, and wait until they call you.

It’s not just EVs though, it’s all cars if you wanted something customized. It’s a bad time to get a car but it’s a little better now hopefully.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

Three Olives posted:

Flipped the off switch on the Mach-E "propulsion sounds" for the first time, my god I can't believe I didn't realize how horrible they were before now. WTF?

It’s absolute big small dick energy with that feature. I’m glad you turned that poo poo off.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

I got the update as well (2021 Premium ER AWD) and after doing a charge to 80%, it says I have a range of 240 miles. Which is absurd since my previous estimate was around 190; I live in the Bay Area so it’s not that cold but still..

Also I’m not fond of the update. There’s so much waste of space on CarPlay, I liked the ability to shrink the screen and utilize more info. For example:

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

The moment Ford comes out with the Explorer EV I am selling the Mach-E.

Most of the cars I’ve driven were Explorers so I have a fondness for those shitboxes.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

I would suggest getting an OBD2 BT scanner or even a 12V monitor you can plug into a cigarette port. I have the latter for my MachE when I had some false alerts on the 12V in the past:

https://a.co/d/84mkrao

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

I just came back from a road trip (SF -> LA -> SF) with the MachE. While I had no problem with finding stations along I-5, I did have some anxiety over the small number of EA stations around SoCal that had nearly all available spots taken and anything left was unavailable. Peering over the Supercharger stations nearby and they were almost always half empty. And gently caress having to use EVgo or any of those other poverty boxes.

What I’m getting at is I welcome the ability to use the Supercharger station.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

EV Thread mk3: Just stick some shrimp ice up ur rear end

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

Talorat posted:

I just got this one installed, it's working great so far

EMPORIA EV Charger Level 2, 48 amp Indoor/Outdoor Electric Car Charger

It seems to be the consensus pick where I was looking around, and it's relatively cheap as well.

That’s the one I have for my home, it’s been good with no issues after like 18 months now

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

Three Olives posted:

I'm sorry, I know I am the resident bougie punching bag, but buying gas is gross and annoying as hell. It smells, the pumps are loving disgusting, panhandlers accost you, you have to touch the pumps covered in filth, often surrounded by puddles of god knows what, at least a mix of gas spillage and window washing fluid, some of which might get on your shoe and tracked into your car...

I don’t know where in the Bay Area this happens to you but having lived there for the majority of my existence it is almost a rarity to see panhandlers or deal with credit card skimmers (just use the tap function if it’s available). The smell and touch, well I guess it’s just you but I don’t need to be there any longer than I have to be so it’s not a problem. At worst I had hand sanitizer nearby or god forbid just wash hands.

Before I bought my EV, I did almost all of gas purchases at Costco and besides the long rear end lines, I never ran into those situations.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

Jalopnik has been notoriously anti-EV for a while now so I’d take their articles with the tiniest grain of salt, if not just straight ignore them.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

This bullshit is why I'm looking forward to using the Mach-E on a Supercharger on my next road trip.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

I can’t seem to share the SA upload shortcut for some reason so here’s the code if someone wants to make it

Dancing Peasant fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 25, 2023

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

edit: ^^^ as a 6'3" poster, I have a Mach-E. It is definitely an option that meets the requirements.

Reposting from the Terrible Car thread

mobby_6kl posted:

https://files.catbox.moe/js19ww.mp4

The two bros are very douchy but definitely watch it till the end

Dancing Peasant fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Nov 25, 2023

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

Ubiquitus posted:

I did it. I’m now king of poo poo mountain

IMO that's pretty loving cool

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

Three Olives posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MachE/comments/18shld4/end_of_ford_options_buy_the_car/

Well I thought this was interesting, Ford is offering to refinance Ford Options cars at the time of the ballon payment for 36 months at 2.5% right now. Now that options is dead hopefully keep something like this because it is super reasonable.

I'm going to assume that OP got the 2.5% because that was in the original contract with Ford Options.

quote:

Your refinanced monthly payment will be the same as in this contract if the refinanced amount will be fully paid in 36 months or less. Otherwise, your monthly payment will be the amount needed to fully pay the refinanced amount in 36 months.

With my contract, I got 2.25% and expect to get the same percent when my 3-years are up in late 2024.

With that said, I'm probably going to pay off the rest of the current payments and the balloon payment sooner.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

Wibla posted:

Both BMW and Tesla preconditions automatically if you next way point is a DCFC. Not sure how this is so hard for other manufacturers.

The last couple of OTA updates for the MachE included preconditioning ~20 miles away to a DCFC, as long as the next waypoint is a charging station.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

crossposting

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

Gnoman posted:

Bought a used 2020 Bolt Saturday, using the portable charger it comes with for now.

What's a good budget EVSE for this model? I'm seeing everything from a couple of hundred bucks to a couple of thousand, and have no idea what the major difference would be.

I've been using this since I bought my MachE, have had little-to-no issues with it:

https://www.emporiaenergy.com/ev-chargers/

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

I first learned of Donut when I was playing Forza Horizon (4? 5? one of em) and they came off as mildly abrasive during their cameos. After watching a couple of their actual YT videos, it wasn’t any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

cruft posted:

It's a white Model Y. And apparently we won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow-ish.

:effort:

edit: congrats!