Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Fast Lane Car youtube channel has one I believe, though I haven't watched the vids on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'd like to know which specific posts people found objectionable, if reasonable to ask. I already said I reported the post where they posted someone's profile picture, which was probated. But what other stuff is annoying?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Interestingly people were importing Smart cars before they were officially sold here. I even saw a Smart forFour on a California freeway once.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I respected the hell out of a guy who grey marketed a Brabus roadster.

The other thing is that the original smart that became the forTwo had a god awful semiautomatic transmission that broke all the time and was extremely unpleasant, so the ownership experience was not great. An EV smart makes sense as driving a smart a long distance sucks, but the US is just not a microcar market fundamentally.

Yeah we had them for a while as rental cars in Seattle and they couldn't even get people to rent those I guess. Eventually they started renting GLAs and CLAs but pulled out last year or this year, all of the companies gone besides ZipCar by the beginning of this year.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
2 tons could be thousands of dollars worth of goods not getting sold. Hopefully we can make it worthwhile for commerce to adopt them anyway.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Loucks posted:

You can do this with legislation, e.g., by mandating them. There are no legal free markets in the US.

That's the most immediate solution I could think of, yeah.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can you get residential service higher than 200amp? What did you find out?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I could have used you last year, hah.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

gwrtheyrn posted:

I remember someone telling me that light up badges were illegal in the US. Is that not the case? The display model definitely had it though

Mercedes-Benz has light up badges so that's a negatory. Hell the whole face of Mercurys used to light up.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elmnt80 posted:

This sounds kinda awkward to use, but I'd be curious to see how it works.

That's already on the Leaf and maybe some other cars. Sounds like a love-it / hate-it kind of reaction from the few people I've talked to.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm wondering if people who drive stick are more likely to use 1 pedal or heavy regen.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Are we talking about electronically controlled transmission or not having an actual shift linkage?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The original thing Kyoon said was the lever is not mechanically connected to anything. I don't think that's true except for the past 10-15 years or so. Ford and GM had electronically controlled transmissions but they still use a shift linkage, with a mechanically operated parking pawl, etc.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Rare elements are sometimes mined by Congolese children 😬
Hopefully ramping up battery production means finding a way to pay adults a fair wage

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

Thanks. Yeah the SRECs are all gone for my location. I had a similar take on the battery benefits, just not all that great for the money right now.

I've gotten a couple quotes, but they are for plain vanilla systems - which might be my best option, but I don't know what other options exist. When I talk with them, it seems they're not really equipped to my level of questions. For example are there higher output per sq/ft options? Other things I should consider in terms of future proofing? What's the latest tech here?
I also wonder what will happen with tax rebates in the future, depending on the election and the current tax rebate declining.

Maybe I haven't found the right group. But I feel like I have a lack of full understanding for rooftop solar. Does anyone have an 'advanced solar guide' that has more advanced options? In the end, I might select the 'tried and true' option, but I'd at least like to know what's new and coming.

When I got a quote here last year they presented both SilFab panels (made locally) & LG Panels (Korean). The LG panels seemed to have higher efficiency? I only tried one company for a bid for now.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I dunno how to link it (The Fast Lane Car update on YouTube) but an ID4 has been spotted at an EA charger in Arizona.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Personally I like the idea of it not having to stand out that much. But to each their own.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Will they have them at Volvo dealers?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Yuns posted:

No only at Polestar dealers which is annoying. There are only a handful of authorized Polestar dealers so far. There are literally only 4:
Polestar Manhattan
Polestar Los Angeles
Polestar San Jose
Polestar Marin
This seems stupid as hell.

Oh sucks. I was thinking a family member might like it. For myself I see the Kia Soul EV prices are down a bit, but they are Chademo for DC charging and only 7.2kW for AC charging. How is the Chademo experience? I see a lot of stations still, but it seems like CCS is the future.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

YOLOsubmarine posted:

An ostensibly intelligent person in a technical field told me yesterday that Tesla is 10 years ahead of the competition. It’s almost impossible to fathom how stupid it is to say that a 10 year old company is 10 years ahead of the competition in a very competitive industry, but that’s the state of EV discourse, at least in the US. That opinion gets published with some regularity and not laughed out of the room.

I heard a marketing professor tell the Chevy Nova myth as fact a few years ago. 🤔

That being said, having a jump start on actual experience making EVs is not a bad thing for Tesla to have.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Would you be able to adapt Chademo to charge from a CCS charger?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KozmoNaut posted:

I have the same problem with smartphones in the EU, which artificially limit the output power into headphones, because some people turn up the volume too much and damage their ears. Well ok, but I have headphones that need more power, and with this artificial limitation they are unable to reach a decent volume level. The hardware is perfectly capable (and available with full output power in other regions), but it is artificially locked out.

All I want is for devices I buy to have their actual intended level of performance, instead of having it locked behind subscriptions and exploitative pricing.

Yes, I care about stuff like that.

Oh is that why my tablet is so quiet, even if I turn it up into the red? It's a UK model I think. I'm not listening to anything loud. It seems to require more volume even over Bluetooth.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CannonFodder posted:

Also, quick poll to everyone:
Do you pronounce it "Tess-la" or "Tez-la"

Tess and I'm pretty sure that's how you'd say it in Serbian too.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
lol at this old forum not having exif rotation tags.

Are there any EVSEs that you can schedule the charge level / time it for overnight easily?

edit: Looks like JuiceBox does that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

The Niro’s app allows for scheduled charging but I suspect that would be an issue if you were connected to a ChargePoint.

Elviscat posted:

I don't think it's necessary, for my Leaf you do that in the car's menu.

Basically the charger goes "Hey, I'm plugged in and I'm totally willing to give it to you right now" and the car says "How much can you give me? Oooooh, that much? How about we wait until (available charger capacity*available battery capacity=a number of hours until 100% charged referenced to a point where I'm programmed to be at 100% capacity)" and the charger goes "aight, aight, let's hold off for now, but at the stated time we'll make a transfer"

I have my charging timer set for 2.75 hours after I leave for work, that usually gets me to 75-85% charge.

I'm looking at a Kia Soul EV, so I'm gonna research the manual to see if it has that option, and if I have to pay for the UVO subscription. I also need to see if I can update to Apple Carplay. It's still a while off but it's in my price range / does well on the small overlap crash test.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

UVO is (I was told) free for the first year

Yeah, I'm looking at 3-4 year old ones, which is when it expires. To get reasonable features it's $225/year.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They have speed cameras everywhere in France and Belgium at least, and I think Germany too, so I can't really go faster than 120km/h or 130km/h in those countries?? I set my CC to that speed and relax. I verify my speed with GPS though because the speedometer can be really uncalibrated.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

This is up for debate in Germany, but a bill last year by the Green Party was defeated.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Naw, I get it. I don't like losing fun stuff, but environmental damage will take it all away if we keep being stupid. I don't know enough about the safety aspects to comment on it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

proposal: 130km/h limit for ICE cars, no speed limits for EVs

:hmmyes:
This is a good compromise

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elviscat posted:

We're a long way from carbon neutral generation, and I'd imagine EVs lose a bit of their efficiency advantage above 130kph.

Unlimited EV speeds in, like, Washington State and Norway.

My car can only go 145 kph

E:
probably with like a 30 mile range

Germany is working on it, although I think they should keep their nuclear plants.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Has anybody rented a Tesla for a roadtrip? Can you do it? Turo seems like the most feasible, and normally maybe some corporate places have them but their websites can't handle the fact that a bunch of locations are closed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Silly question, what kind of tpms does Model 3 have? Does it tell you what your exact pressure is?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

It does. The poll rate is kinda trash though I can often get halfway out of my neighborhood before the computer will finally report pressures.

OK I'm renting one and if there's one thing I've found its that they never check pressures and if I forget my own gauge at least I have that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
How is the cabin airfilter in the Tesla Model 3? I know it doesn't have the giant one like the X, but it has some HEPA system or similar?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I don't care about the rating, I care about if it's effective. I have a 2006 Mazda 3 with a cabin air filter and it doesn't do poo poo for smoke or diesel or whatever. My Mercedes will block out wildfire smoke though, so I'm wondering how the Model 3 will do at it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hexigrammus posted:

I had no idea this was possible. I need to pay attention and get something before B.C. starts burning down. (Next year, unless someone has one of those rager gender reveal parties during this unusual September weather.)

I didn't even know it was that good until I got out of the car after driving a few hundred miles and it stunk really bad ouside. Unfortunately it's getting old and rusty.

And yeah tonight in Seattle it smells terrible so you'll probably get some if you're close to the border.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you haven’t replace the one in your Mazda recently you should probably do that. But it could just be that your Mazda isn’t a very well sealed car and a filter isn’t very useful if you can’t force the air through it. There’s nothing special about the filters used in Teslas.
Yes I've replaced the Mazda one.
The one in the Model X is almost the size of the whole firewall. It's enormous.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
From the pic I found of the model 3 filter I'm not sure if it has an activated carbon filter or not.
https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-air-filter
I'll be finding out in the morning how it does with smoke :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The only thing weird is the little pieces of wood, maybe.

Update on the Model 3 cabin air filter. It's definitely not activated charcoal (or it's used up) but I didn't hack up a lung driving through Hell, Oregon. Great success.

Also self driving is a joke