Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

Goddamn mercedes really dropped the ball there, I was full of hope.

I also understand it's based on the GLA like the EQC is not the GLC. The GLA is available with 4Motion so we'll get a transmission tunnel again.

gwrtheyrn posted:

In other news, nissan is doing some reveal event for the ariya today. Maybe it will be good! Or at least cheap!

A car has no price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

That's a fairly large swing on the CO2 lifecycle balance including production being 30 to 60% lower than the diesel model. I wonder if the difference is based on power generation for the electricity used to charge it.

Yes, that's exactly it. I think it's basically 30% better on the German grid, 60% on a fully renewable.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

AlexanderCA posted:

I think you're underestimating what a 4th power does in practice.

I guess an elephant with a mouse on its back wears the jungle floor more than an elephant without one.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yuns posted:

Nissan ...
water cooled

Finally!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Interest tidbit, it has CHAdeMO in Japan but is getting CCS in Europe and North America. Beginning of the end for CHAdeMO.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

Wish they'd put the charger on the driver's side for all markets. Is this because japan drives on the other side of the road, or will the UK variant also have the charge ports on the passenger side?

Maybe a dual thing like the e-tron, with Type 2 only on the passenger side and CCS on driver's side, as local market dictates. The pics from here at least show ports on both sides.

Like that color, nice with something other than white, black or grey.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I wonder if Nissan will cascade the liquid cooled battery down to the Leaf, or simply replace the Leaf with a new model. Nothing terribly surprising about the Ariya, but they are way behind the competition now, which have all moved past the Leaf. Not selling this until late 2021 will mean it’s dropping into a more crowded market with brands that offer more cachet than Nissan. It will be interesting if they can make the jump from the current “we’ll finance just about anyone” model to their new vision of actually being profitable.

4WD and 90 kWh at sub Model 3 prices = hotcakes in Norway at least, late 2021 notwithstanding.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

Ah yes, the mythical 4th colour option: beige :D
I kid, I kid. (I have a secret crush on a beige Prius prime. I think they call it titanium.... beige)

That looks more like copper metallic to me, but then again I am wearing light beige trousers in an office environment right now, so I am not the most radical color person. Your generic reds and blues also belong in just about any car's colour swatch of course.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There are some parts of Norway where every house has three phase 400V to the fuse box. The older the neighborhood, the less likely I suppose.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Being able to output that power will probably be less important than switching off the input. We've discussed it before and I've seen it mentioned in tech articles, where power companies give lower rates to big refrigeration systems for instance in return for being able to switch them off by remote command - obviously within safe parameters to whatever is being refrigerated. You can store power like this as well, by freezing the warehouse deeper when the power is cheap and letting it that into the upper range of the temperature tolerance when power is more scarce.

You could for instance get a cheaper plan if the power company was allowed to switch off your charging for a maximum of two hours say every day. You put your car on the charger and don't worry, the power company handles the morning spike by switching off load as required. You walk out to a car that has enough range anyway, because you've obviously set this switching to match your requirements.

There is huge amounts of potential in this type of energy management, which is so much simpler than giant flywheels or pumped hydro, and so much cheaper than vast banks of batteries. It's a wet dream for certain nation states with active hacking teams of course.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ReaperUnreal posted:

I'm looking at buying a PHEV/EV in the near future but I have no idea where to start with comparing them. I also have no idea what to check in a used EV. Anyone got some links or wikis where I can read up on what's currently available so I can come back and ask more useful questions?

Here's a wiki link to what's currently available but I'm not sure how helpful it will be. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electric_cars_currently_available A useful think to check on Gen 1 Nissan Leafs is the battery health indicator next to the charge level.

I think youtube will be your friend. Where are you located, what's your approx budget and range reqs? Then you can get some brand suggestions and you can look up the cars on youtube. People can't help themselves from reviewing and vlogging about every minute aspect of EV ownership.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

ReaperUnreal posted:

Thanks for the link and tip. I'm in Canada, near Toronto. Budget is 30-40k, range is bimodal. I'm either driving 30-40km or 500km along major highways. I'm definitely fine watching a bunch of youtube vids, got plenty of time.

I haven't seen these so no idea if it's worth sitting through a few episodes but it looks like they should contain some info on fast charging coverage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX-hcFd0OLk

On that budget, I think you can aim for Kia e-Niro, Hyundai Kona or Ioniq (the new one) EVs, used. Search them up and see if the reviews look good. Here's one to start you off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1Xbj5RS0Yk

The Kona and e-Niro can do 500 km with one charging stop in ideal conditions, more likely two in total.

This site lets you plan charging trips so you can get a feel for charger availability and charging times. It says you'll need a single 45 minute charging stop to go from Toronto to Montreal in a Hyundai Kona 64 kWh:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=3c9932ea-c404-4b92-8bd4-70f6cf67ee1a

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you are only doing 500km rarely, you can buy a much less expensive EV and rent a car for your long journeys, assuming they are planned.

If you can charge fully at the other end and it takes 45 minutes of charging each way, you'll spend less time on charging than picking up and delivering back the rental, plus the money.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you got some slow rear end rental places, and if you're willing to accept less range the Wonderful Wide World of Used Nissan Leafs opens up to you at an incredibly low price point

You have to go there, maybe wait in line, sign the complicated forms, meander around the car park trying to find it by pressing the fob, etc...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Picked up my Model 3 Performance today,

Congrats!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

If you travel enough you can just sign up for the free Hertz gold rewards program or whatever it's called, I used to just arrive at the car place and pick up the keys from a board without talking to anyone then drive out. The only verification was by the security as you left the parking garage, and the whole process was easier than grabbing an Uber.

I would much rather just sit for 45 minutes at a charger in my own car and look my phone, get lunch or use a nearby bathroom, than travel to/from a rental place even if I was Hertz Gold Senator Premium. Factor in having to fill it with gas at some point as well.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Alright, hypothetical question. I was originally looking at getting a niro this year, but there's a lot of upcoming stuff that looks interesting in the next year or two. If I wanted to just get a used EV to tide me over until companies get 1-2 years into their dedicated-ev models, what would be a good model to look at? It seems like 2016 leafs and egolfs are available at ~10k and i3s around 14k. Ideally, i'd be able to make a 70 mile highway trip when it's about 20F out, which I think all of these should be able to do unless their batteries are super degraded some of these could do, but I can get around that if it's not possible. Which of these 3 would be the best option? I was thinking of the e-golf since it hopefully doesn't have the battery issues that leafs have, and not bmw maintenance costs. Does that sound about right?

There's a non-zero chance I'd just pass off the car to my parents in around 3 years.

They all came with a bigger battery around then, 35,8 kWh e-Golf, 30 kWh Leaf and 94 Ah i3, which is around 27 kWh IIRC. All of those should make that trip comfortably, the previous versions perhaps less so. I think it's from 2016 for the i3, 2017 for the others. I also think the i3 is a good bet over time. The carbon fiber tub will never rust at least. Availability of adaptive cruise control might be another factor, which would rule out the Gen 1 Leaf.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

I don't have an EV so I don't rely on the charging infrastructure, but even in California I have noticed one thing that would make me think twice before a long road trip in a EV. My friends and I used to take road trips to various breweries before COVID-19, and when we went from LA to San Luis Obispo I noticed the supercharger station at the Madonna Inn had a huge line. A few months later that same station became famous for having comically long lines on the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, and I would have been pissed if I had to wait in that line. I guess now you know avoid the more crowded charging locations on holiday weekends, and I realize most people don't do 400 miles in a day to grab some beer, but had I required access to those chargers to get home it would have really messed up my day. Just another reason he may want to rent a car versus charging on long trips, but I have a feeling that is almost all charging location dependent.

Yeah that is definitely a problem, but hopefully EV adoption scales in the right direction. More range to skip chargers, more home charging to start with a full battery and more charging stations along popular routes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

elbkaida posted:

I've got no experience driving with these kind of systems so don't really know what exactly do you do different when they're on. How does it make the drive easier? I'm guessing you still keep an eye on the road but just kinda sit there.

Driving on a straight road might seem like it requires no input. But the road surface might camber here and there, traffic is constantly changing speed, maybe there's a crosswind, etc. It requires a billion micro adjustments, which demands your mental attention and lots of muscle activation. With a lane keeper and adaptive cruise you just sit there. Obviously paying just as much attention as you were before, perhaps with better situational awareness, just not doing the active inputs. Drivers used to have to change the ignition timing by hand, it was probably a relief for long range comfort when governed timing in the distributor was invented.

The negative thing is the opportunity to not pay attention for long periods of time, which lots of people abuse the poo poo out of. I don't do that, but I fall into other more subtle bad habits where I basically let the cruise control maintain speed through some corners where I would otherwise had let off the gas a bit. It just didn't seem sharp enough to cancel, you know?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finnish Kempower have come up with a new charging solution which has a concept I've suggested on this forum and I would be able to link to it and brag if it wasn't two or three closed threads ago.

Basically, more plugs than chargers, power can be routed around. So you don't get a 50 kW car taking up a 150 kW spot. And presumably you can do stuff like massive overcapacity of plugs on a highway rest stop, so a family that takes 90 minutes to eat, play with the kids etc can just leave the car there and it will just take up a charging spot and not actual charging capacity. A nice detail is that they also allow to view the charging screen on your phone. No mention of reading car ID over CCS though.

This station is opened at Espa in Norway.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

When you say more plugs than chargers, does that just mean like each spot can theoretically provide 150kW but total output of the station can't support all of them doing 150kW at the same time? Kinda like internet bandwidth or a much larger scale version of the clippercreek dual head chargers? If so, I'd be surprised if that's not how things are already set up

(The exact numbers and nomenclature here is probably inaccurate, I don't understand this well enough)

Yes and no. Some chargers are strictly one DC converter -> one charging spot, which may have one or two outlets for CCS and CHAdeMO but you can only use one at a time. Then you have Tesla's V1 supercharger where one 120 kW DC converter is built up from two 60 kW modules and goes to two charging spots, each with a max of 120 kW. So if you park next to a guy in an otherwise empty lot, you have to share. You get a minimum of 30 kW and the available energy increases in 30 kW chunks as the first guy's charging starts to taper. You can share each module 50/50, or not at all, due to some galvanic stuff I don't understand properly.

This solution is more flexible in how you can set it up, built from 50 kW modules and balancing in 25 kW chunks, sharing between all outlets instead of grouped ones. Basically you can share one module 50/50 or not at all, and you make the sharing more granular by having multiple modules. So you can park next to a guy but it will still route max outlet power to you. I guess another useful thing will be to see on the app how much power is available before you connect.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I like one toe driving. Barefoot, long trip, heel on the floor, foot resting to the side, just the big toe in command.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

only the Leaf has a brake petal

:hmmyes:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The ID.3 configurator is open on the German VW site https://www.volkswagen.de/de/modelle-und-konfigurator/id3.html

I'm liking the blue with silver highlights.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If we're measuring fossil vs EV safety on brake performance in various edge cases, let's include overheating brakes from long downhills vs regen. And the various hill hold, creep modes etc which in EVs can be dependent on software checking for open doors and fastened safety belts, vs an idling fossil autobox which can be put in drive by a toddler or a dog.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

In an ICE car on a long downhill you just put it in a lower gear though, not ride the brakes. This has been the case for as long as cars have been around.

That depends on the steepness of the hill, the engine, the turns and the speed limit. Diesels struggle with engine braking for instance, or you might be descending into serpentine turns. Every EV I've driven has been better and safer than any ICE car I've driven in long downhills, vastly so in twisty ones. With the exception of a fully charged one of course.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why do you think ICE vehicles can't have the same checks?

If they're mechanically shifted they can't. But electronically shifted can, but on the other hand an EV can have any degree of regen including not at all if set up so.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A toddler is basically an exploit tool. Its snotty hands finds the flaws of your user interface before you can say "why is my ipad in greek".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Are you time traveling from the 1980s? because all ICE automatic transmissions are electronically shifted. The little lever or buttons is a decoration and user interface, not a direct control interface.

Plenty of 90s and 00s are mechanically shifted. And since we're playing this dumb game of cherry picking corner cases to invent perceived dangers, I can pick those. I won't anymore though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Godholio posted:

Such as? Electronic controlled automatics were taking over in the early 90s. Ford and GM were both done converting before OBD2 became standard.

I refer you to the rest of the post which seems to have dropped out of your quote.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ola posted:

Finnish Kempower have come up with a new charging solution which has a concept I've suggested on this forum and I would be able to link to it and brag if it wasn't two or three closed threads ago.

Basically, more plugs than chargers, power can be routed around. So you don't get a 50 kW car taking up a 150 kW spot. And presumably you can do stuff like massive overcapacity of plugs on a highway rest stop, so a family that takes 90 minutes to eat, play with the kids etc can just leave the car there and it will just take up a charging spot and not actual charging capacity. A nice detail is that they also allow to view the charging screen on your phone. No mention of reading car ID over CCS though.

This station is opened at Espa in Norway.

Test of it, including a more detailed look at how charger sharing works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmuIolKO0qo

Cool!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh the model 3 is by no means perfect. A hatchback style EV with good range good fast charging options like Tesla tends to offer would be wonderful.

I don't need a gigantic crossover or SUV. I live by myself and only very occasionally need to cart around bulky items. But I've used the Mazda 3 with a trail hitch and a small trailer to move myself out of an apartment twice. So it has been very sufficient for my needs. A lower floor and taller tailgate clearance would be nice. As would a shorter hood area which should be possible with an electric vehicle version.

VW ID.3 would be perfect for you. (If you live in the US, in a few years at least). You can get a bike rack hitch but no trailer, otherwise it's Golf dimensions with more space. You get close to Model 3 range with the biggest battery, but not the Tesla charging network of course. RWD with rear drums for minimum maintenance of brakes and drive shafts, great turning circle and a short nose for urban practicality. They are struggling with the software apparently, so it probably doesn't hurt to wait out the first year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTMFamylaDQ

Speaking of charging networks, are there CCS adapters to Teslas in the US? In Europe, since the S/X can get adapters and the 3/Y comes with CCS stock, they can charge on just about any fast charger. Hell, an S/X with a CHAdeMO adapter as well can charge absolutely everywhere, including getting 16.5 kW out of the 43 kW special snowflake Type 2s built for Renault Zoes.

Ola fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 23, 2020

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yuns posted:

The fact that Audi was clearing out 2019 e-trons last month by leasing new unsold models with an MSRP of $75,795 for a capitalized cost of $55,121 indicates to me that they didn't sell well. Not sure if it was dealer neglect or low demand as the cause.

Might be very few Americans that even know it exists.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

In the case of those, I can kind of see it from the salesmen's point of view. You've got a customer on the hook that wants to spend some money, but you haven't got any of what they want on the lot, and you can't give them an accurate estimate of when they'll get any... Losing... Sale... But! You can Drive Away Today! in whatever we've got in stock, special price, just for you! (and Ol' Gil gets to eat this week!). Audi has e-trons on the lot.

Sounds more like a toxic corporate culture of rewarding top performance and punishing everything else which leads to a bad experience for everyone but the ones highest up in the hierarchy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Two good reviews of two good cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbWJO66JIYg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxAeMBtoSg

VW needs to change the mirror and steering wheel controls to conventional ones though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo the id3 comes with 20" wheels, that's nuts. I mean it's also possible to get 18" on some models but still.

And they saved a few euros by only having two window swtiches on the driver's door lol.

I played a bit with the configurator at https://www.volkswagen.de/ , seems like 19" is standard on some trims as well. Which is still pretty big for a compact car. But yes, the window switches need to go, asap.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Darchangel posted:

Capacitive touch switches in a vehicle? No thank you. I have enough trouble using my phone in the car as a passenger. Trying to adjust that poo poo while driving would be a nightmare.

I saw in one test a guy having problems selecting +1 or +10 on the cruise control, since it depended where on the capacitive surface you touched. Also accidental touches galore and the dumb "haptic feedback", a concept which never addressed or even properly understood the problem it tried to solve. It would be a better car if they took the buttons from the e-Golf, or just ripped off the Model 3. The small display attached to the steering column is great though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Are there regulations on how big an AC unit you can install in the US? Aren't huge central units pretty ubiquitous? Big ones must be multi-kW for sure. And in the peak hours of the late afternoon, people arrive home, open doors, let in hot air, the AC whirrs away no problem, the grid doesn't explode.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

It peaks in California in the summer around 6pm, when everyone gets home from work and turns on their AC (and other devices/lights). It makes for an interesting problem with solar because of what's known as the duck curve - solar power drops off right as power usage spikes, so you need to rapidly bring on natural gas power.

Here is California's power usage from yesterday, along with the net demand (total demand minus renewables). You can see 10,000MW of power has to ramp up in 3 hours,

That is indeed a big fat duck. Sounds like a job for liquid air: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/jun/18/worlds-biggest-liquid-air-battery-starts-construction-in-uk

I wonder how many of that it would take to slay the California duck.

I'll do integration by squinting and say that the natural gas ramp is linear in both directions from 8 GW to 22 GW over 13 hours.(22-8) * 13 / 2 = 91 GWh of stored solar power required, with a maximum power potential of 22-8 = 14 GW also required.

The plant being built in Manchester has 250 MWh. I couldn't find the power rating, but another plant on their website has 350kW/2.5MWh. I'll assume the same ratio, so that the plant in Manchester has 350 kW * 100 = 35 MW. It cost £85M.

We needed 91 GWh, so that's 91000/250 = 364 times the Manchester one to kill the California duck. That gives us 35 MW * 364 = 12.74 GW of power which is a bit short. 14 GW / 35 MW then, for 400 Manchesters and a nice even 100 GWh of stored energy.

Total cost? £85M * 400 = you'll get change back from $45 billion. That's peanuts. MacKenzie Scott could have paid for 84% of that with the divorce settlement from Jeff Bezos. In terms of tech billionaires it's 1/4 Bezos or 2/3 Musk. Over 10 years, $9.50 per Californian. Should be easily doable. The gas plants are already there, so I guess they can start replacing them one by one.

We'll need a lot more solar or other renewables to charge it up during the trough of course and this was just the peak of the gas, not the base.

But it was fun to see the numbers at a big scale. The price will probably come down a lot at such a scale, that was just a single demo site. And it's not like the gas plants were free either, if you expand grids somewhere you can go straight to this. The beauty is there's no new tech, no magic breakthrough needed, not a rare earth pebble in sight. Just pumps, tanks and plumbing. Topography doesn't matter, it just needs access to the grid and the atmosphere. Perhaps a bit noisy though and a bit of an eyesore. Some amusing paint on the cryotanks and an energy capturing muffler and we're good to go.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah there's definitely a lot more to it than just that, it was just for perspective. Then there's the round trip efficiency, so we need even more solar, etc. But it wasn't an infeasible sum to do just that. I wonder what building that many natural gas plants would cost. For another comparison, Tesla's big battery in Australia was $161 million for 193 MWh, $830k per MWh. The Manchester liquid air plant is 250 MWh for $111 million, $444k per MWh.

Storing compressed air is not even close. If you've tried a duster can which you pump up vs one which comes with liquid in it, you know what I mean. The stored energy is tiny vs the huge volume you need, it's entirely dependent on special geographic resources , it's probably not entirely air tight etc. Storing liquefied air gives orders of magnitude more potential energy per unit of stored volume, it's entirely independent of special geographic resources and the act of actually storing liquified air is entirely trivial, it's just an insulated steel tank and it's done all over the world every day, they're even hauled by trucks.

I've posted this before, check if out if you haven't. I really think this is the best way to store energy at grid scale, nothing else will come close in the sum total of cost, ease of use, low tech level, universality, scalability etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMLu9Dtw9yI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

But also you have to figure out a lot of these plants have already been built so it's not like they're going to phase them out early and just waste all that money.

This is 'round about where "stop releasing CO2 FFS" comes in.... I'm not trying to pump liquid air purely to beat natural gas on simple market terms, I want there to be an easy next step so we can start killing them off.