Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
There's a lot of non-poo poo models these days. Please narrow it down for me, I cbf'd doing a dozen test drives.

I'm in NZ so there's odd choices in the $40-60k range. Barely used:
MG 4
Kia Niro, EV6
Hyundai Kona, Ioniq 5
BYD Dolphin, Atto 3
Citroen eC3 / Peugeot 208 / Opel Mokka
Volkswagen eGolf, ID.4

Older models (2019+):
Jaguar i-Pace
Polestar 2
Audi eTron
Lexus UX 300e

Bolts don't exist, and gently caress Tesla.

I'll be keeping my invincible 2009 Honda Fit. I value safety, then a nice interior, and then handling on B road twisties. I'm fine with anything from hatchback to medium SUV. I don't like things that try to drive for me. Winter isn't a factor here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
Even more options! I had no idea about the Cupra, Skoda or Corsa. I agree I've been poo poo at choosing a size, so let's go on the larger end because I miss my Forester.

That ugly Dolphin absolutely missed the point and shouldn't exist, though I'd drive a hot pink one without shame. The MG4 looks good yeah.

I guess that makes my list shorter, thanks folks.
- BYD Atto 3
- Hyundai Ioniq 5
- Polestar 2
- VW ID.4 (ID.5 seems too new, expensive)
- MG4 (small, but those reviews)
- whatever Stellantis model is handy when I'm looking at the others

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
Wife drove an Atto 3 today. "That was the worst thing I've driven since we tested that Equinox a decade ago." I tried it out, it's not nearly that bad but yeah, pretty boatlike. My fault, I was wrong to pine for my Forester. I should have been pining for my Mazda 3 -- she didn't know it but she likes it firm and short.

Which suits me, the MG4 was a blast.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.
I acquired an ex-demo 2023 MG4 LR (77kWh), 9k km, in the correct colour. Relatively cheap for how new and fun it is; made the toddler puke in it by day three. 5 stars

This was $46k NZD after tax, about $24k USD pre tax. No EV incentives at all anymore (gently caress off right wing pissgarglers). It'll do ~250 highway miles at 54F / 79F if you're not blowing it by always doing 0-60 in 6.5s. After ruling out CUVs/SUVs, the Polestar 2 was the only close competition IMO. They would have been 2021s almost out of warranty and 3-5x the mileage, so the value proposition just wasn't there.