Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TSLAQ

Apparently it has a wikipedia article

I didn't know the Q came from stock market shorthand, I honestly just assumed it got picked up from the Qanon conspiracy people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

That’s the thing though. Tesla says that once an upgrade is purchased on the car, it stays on the car. However, they seem to do something different in practice where they strip our software from cars they get possession of to hopefully sell again.

Once you sell it back to them, it's not yours anymore, so who cares if they remove an option to sell it cheaper. (As an aside, I was looking at CPO Models S and it looked like they pretty much all were FSD enabled). If they pulled the upgraded wheels off to put the cheap ones on, would people be all up in arms about how "the rims don't stay with the vehicle!!" ?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Lucid had their event for the Air today. Starts at $80k for mystery specs. $169k gets you 465-503 miles of range, 2.5 second 0-60 and a 9.9 second quarter mile. Targeting first deliveries in spring 2021. https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/9/21429319/lucid-motors-air-electric-sedan-price-specs-range-reveal

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Someone can check my math, but I think that’s about equivalent to 15,000 sticks of dynamite in energy. Even if I’m a couple orders of magnitude off, that might be a hard sell for most homeowners.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Kinda weird they started production without changing the ordering site. I get wanting to avoid any Osborne effect or whatever and nobody is going to be sad about a surprise power lift trunk, but I could see people being upset about the chrome delete/ center console not being what they expected. ( I like the changes and will be ordering soon)

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

I genuinely can't fathom reading all these issues and saying "gently caress it, I'm buying one"

People with issues are going to complain very loudly about it everywhere they can. But if your car is fine, you're not going out of the way to mention all the time that you've had no issues with it. (Although several people on this very forum have said their Teslas are without issues.) I've also got a theory that most of the issues crop up when Elon turns up the heat on workers to push out as many cars as possible at the end of the quarter, and not buying then is the prudent move.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tesla has released the refreshed Model 3, now starts at 263 miles of range standard (up from 250). The long range model has been boosted from 322 to 353 miles, and 0-60 improved to 4.2 seconds. Performance gets an extra 16 miles of range and is a tenth of a second faster, 3.1 seconds now.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Well, I'll be joining the EV crew soon. Test drove a Model 3 this afternoon and enjoyed it despite Chicago traffic. Was a little strange not hearing an engine responding to the pedal, and my wife made herself queasy flooring it (Was in a regular Long Range version, not performance). She keeps describing it as like a roller coaster. Talked to the sales guy afterwards and placed an order.

There was a very soft sell on existing inventory, just a "Hey, there's two options, you can place a custom order and wait, or we have existing inventory available now, and for $1400 off since it doesn't have the new updates." (I think that was the "showroom discount" they listed, I wasn't interested.) Overheard another guy who took a test drive at the same time say he wanted a car right away, so the extra range/features aren't must haves for everyone.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

MrPablo posted:

Congratulations!

Heads up: Eventually you will drive an ICE car, get out, walk away, and forget to turn the car off. This has been a long running joke among Tesla owners, and it happened to me for the first time yesterday.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to install PlugShare on your phone.

I agree that the heat pump in the new model would be helpful for Chicago winters. Whether it's worth $1400 and a delay probably varies depending on the owner's driving pattern and charging habits.

After the test drive we got out and my wife said, "Wait do we need to turn it off?" and I just replied "Nope, just walk away." We've got a Forrester that's push button start/stop, so no key in the ignition, feel like that just makes it more likely I'll end up leaving it running at one point.

I'm working from home for the foreseeable future, so getting it right now isn't necessary, and the range and updates are worth it to me. Plus the quicker 0-60 makes me less likely to purchase the $2000 acceleration boost software unlock, so I'm actually saving $600 by waiting (he tells himself).

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
She was referring to those launched coasters that just shoot off from the station, but the regen braking will take a while to get used to as well. I'm used to a gas->coast->break pattern when stopping, so the regen had me hitting the pedal again to actually stop where I wanted instead of earlier, will just take a bit to adjust to.

SnatchRabbit posted:

This is probably a dumb question but is there such a thing as Tesla jail breaking? If all those features are really just locked away In software is imagine quite a few people are working on cracking open the Tesla’s encryption or whatever like an iPhone.

There's a company selling aftermarket upgrades like a 50 HP boost, they were initially claiming them as "undetectable". That hasn't panned out https://www.thedrive.com/tech/35946/tesla-can-detect-aftermarket-hacks-designed-to-defeat-ev-performance-paywalls

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Nah, just stick an accordion on the top of your car and string caternaries over the track surface.

Big induction coils in the pavement that charge your car like in F-Zero.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
They could repeat the tests in this video https://www.wthr.com/article/news/i...60-3363f0954b3b with like 4 or 5 year olds standing in front of it, and still have similar blind spot distances.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tesla has rolled out a beta of their self-driving feature to a small number of beta testers. There's decent compilation of videos the beta testers have released on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/comments/jftx5l/all_fsd_footage/ Of the videos I've watched the performance of it ranges pretty widely from not great to surprisingly decent.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
So in the last thread I rolled my eyes at this whole thing:

Bum the Sad posted:

Elon give me my Tesla

But I'd like to apologize, because it's only been two weeks since I ordered and I'm starting to understand the sentiment.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
How accurate was Tesla's delivery estimate for others in the thread? They updated mine a couple days ago to a window of now through the 28th. Don't have a VIN yet, and haven't seen anything about payment arrangements. If delivery is Friday do I have to show up at 5am and trample someone to get the car?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Mine changed several times due to multiple unforeseen complications (covid, logistics, human error). But absent the complications when they do nail down the time, an actual appointment date/time will appear on the reservation page (you can tweak/reschedule by contacting your sales advisor). You do not need to show up at 5 AM unless the appointment is at 5 AM.

Final payment info can show up a couple days in advance, but you will have a VIN by then. Have you checked the source code of your reservation page for a VIN? In a desktop browser hit view source, search for "5YJ" and see if one is hidden in the page source.

Don't hesitate to call/text your sales advisor, they will be able to provide you with the most accurate status and you should have their direct cell number by now, just try to keep track of their work schedule so you won't bother them when they are off.

Be aware this is probably one of the more stressful times of the order process, when the car is about to arrive at the delivery center you often have to get a lot of stuff in order in just a couple days. But if you clear all the check boxes, you just show up for the appointment, sign into the app, inspect the car, sign a couple papers then you can drive it home. Although I would suggest pairing your phone and adjusting all the vehicle settings to suit your preferences before leaving the lot.

Well, got my VIN assigned today, but the estimated delivery has changed to December 4th - 10th. Excitement and disappointment all in one!

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Ola posted:

Same is true for bicycles, where velocity squared is much lower, yet they spend huge amounts of resources on streamlining everything.

Apparently a rider in full tuck on a race bike has a coefficient of drag of 0.6: https://canadamotoguide.com/2016/05/04/motorcycle-aerodynamics/

Which is basically a barn door. Maybe it would help to somehow duct air behind the rider's back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvmibwafGXc

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Not the best method of charging, but an interesting video nevertheless.

https://youtu.be/EEIN6-cVLRg

Crazier version is to charge by towing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaGVoB4Zn-Y

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Illinois charges an extra $100 per year for EV registration, which is about 258 gallons worth of state tax. If we drive the Subaru 8000 miles less we’d come out ahead. Plus the state gas tax is going to go up yearly based on inflation, but the registration fees don’t (unless they pass a new law).

In other news, was originally scheduled to pick up the Model 3 yesterday, but got called last week and told the truck wouldn’t be arriving until the 11th, so rescheduled delivery for Saturday, fingers crossed.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Elviscat posted:

Oh man, y'all remember when ultracapacitors with insane energy densities and unlimited charge discharge rates were just around the corner?

What’s going to be the EV version of “They made a car that can run on water, but it’s all being covered up, man!” ?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Got my Model 3 last week, my wife says I’m like a 16 year old that just got a license and is willing to drive anywhere just to be able to drive.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Yup, it's a 2021 with the updated console, heatpump, liftgate.

No issues with the car when delivered, although I have noticed it complaining about the door pillar cameras being blinded a fair amount from the sun, don't know if that's typical.

The delivery itself wasn't quite a smooth as I'd have liked. It's all contact free, which is nice in theory, but also means there's nobody right there if you hit a glitch. I had to sign out and back in to the tesla app on my phone to get the car to show up so we could get in to sign the paperwork. Then after signing the paperwork we dropped it off in their drop box and had to wait for them to make sure everything was ok. So we waited a while and didn't hear anything, so I called and I guess someone had dropped it off on the delivery advisors desk without saying anything. It only took a moment for him to check, and we were done, but still it added 20-30 minutes maybe to the process.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Are there cybertruck prototypes? I don’t think I’ve seen anything since Elon’s smashing demo.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
One of the new horn options is the DJ airhorn sound (https://www.myinstants.com/instant/mlg-air-horn/), so just had to send a clip of it to my wife's boss who is strangely obsessed with it (he'll play it when they get a new account, etc). He was already pretty interested in the car before, so sent along our referral link too.

You can also add custom sounds via usb, so I'm waiting to see what people come up with.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tesla has used a few different onboard charger configs, I think some had up to 80 amps possible. But they've standardized across their line now. Only the "standard range" 3 has a lower power charger (7.7kw/32 amp, which is the max the mobile connector can deliver). Everything else in the Tesla lineup has a 11.5kw/48 amp charger, but you'd need to install a wall connector to deliver it to the car. https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation/onboard-charger

I debated the whole charge speed thing with myself, but settled on just doing some 50 amp plugs (and charging at the 32amps of the mobile connector). We're withing 15-30 miles of a handful of superchargers, with another one supposed to go in pretty close, so even in a worst case scenario with a nearly empty battery, it's not a long time to charge to be able to get to one and really quickly charge.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Above the iPad, the RC monster truck, the various legos and all the other toys he got, my 5 year old says his favorite present is the hot wheels copy of my model 3 he got.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
TikTok idiot films self misusing Tesla autopilot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS5zQKXHdpM

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Westy543 posted:

By the way, goons who have purchased and still currently own a model 3 or Y, how do you like your cars after some time with them? Have they given you any weird issues? You can PM if you're worried about getting poo poo for posting, but I thought I'd ask for some experiences from actual owners on this comedy forum.

I've had my Model 3 for a bit over a month now, not quite 800 miles on it. No issues to report, build quality is good, no janky panel gaps. Teslamate says I've averaged 296 Wh/mi, which I think is a bit high. But I've done a lot of, uh, acceleration demonstrations for friends and family. Also looks like nearly all my trips have been at below 40F, so hopefully I'll see some better numbers once spring comes.

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Our xyz reason for getting a hybrid over a BEV was nothing really having room for double car seats, and even with a phev we didn’t want to deal with plugs and wires in the garage while trying to wrangle toddlers.

So basically as soon as my kids get a bit older we will get a BEV crossover in a blink.

When my son was born my wife and I had a Passat, nice giant backseat, the carseat fit easily. But it was a dieselgate vehicle and we started looking at SUVs for hauling the kid plus the dogs around. We were surprised at how terribly car seats fit into the SUVs we were looking at. The Mazda CX-5 would have required the front seat to be completely forward to fit our carseat in. I think the Honda CR-V wasn't much better. We ended up with a Subaru Forrester, which juuuust fit. We eventually got a Diono carseat that gives us a few extra inches of room, and other than not being able to recline the passenger seat you couldn't tell there's a kid sitting behind you now. It fits well in the Model 3 as well, we've got a 5yo in a booster, and a 2yo in the Diono. I've seen people with 3 across in the back of the Model 3, so there's room in at least one BEV.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Yeep posted:

How are you putting a dog in a model 3? :woof:

I've been really impressed with the space the eNiro has for child seats, much better than my Saab. Shame the boot is either dog or luggage though.

Still got the Subaru if we need to take the dogs around, the Model 3 made us a two car family.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Not to be a Musk apologist, but I think the gear change thing will be fine, even if it’s a little quirky. You get in the car, buckle up hit the break, car sees a wall in front of it, chimes and shows a big R on screen. You back out of the garage onto the street, push the break again to stop, car knows it just reversed and sees open road in front of it, chimes and shows a big D on the screen (phrasing), and you’re on your way.

I don’t get the freakout over the possibility of “taking your eyes off the road!!” to shift gears. You stop moving to switch gears right? Or is everyone just just slamming it into drive while going 15mph in reverse?

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tesla is apparently looking to really expand their charging network. They’ve got a new factory in China that’s supposed to be able to churn out 10,000 stations per year. https://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/3120578/tesla-starts-v3-supercharger-production-new-shanghai-factory

No idea if that’s 10k per year now, or an “eventually, in a few years it’ll be 10k.” They’re at about 24,000 stations right now, so another 10,000 would double their network in just a couple years. Meanwhile Electrify America is planning to have 3500 chargers total by the end of this year.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Wait, greenlots is owned by Shell?! It’s all a conspiracy by big oil to sabotage EV adoption :tinfoil:

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Wireless charging makes a fair amount of sense for small electronics, a couple watts lost due to the lower efficiency is barely worth noting. You'll pick up and put your phone back down numerous times per day, always plugging it in would be annoying. A car uses way more power, so the efficiency losses are more salient, buying an expensive device plus paying an extra 5 to 10% to charge your car vs just plugging it in once or twice a day, seems like a hard sell.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Bolts are still stuck at 50kw “fast” charging which is pretty disappointing.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It's been 33 days since my Model 3 last received an update. The median time between my car's updates is 2 weeks. I wonder what those guys have cooking up if they're delaying updates this much.

I've gotten a couple versions of the 2021.4 software, pretty much just bug fixes so far (speculation I saw was fixes for heat pump issues some people have had). v11 is supposed to still be in the pipeline, people were expecting it to show up back around christmas though.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Looks like the cheapest LR AWD Model 3 on cars.com is a 2018 with 22k miles on it for $32k. I don't think anyone is looking at a 3+ month delay in getting one (unless maybe they're in the EU and just missed a shipment). As a new owner I hope they never depreciate, but I think there's just not a lot of used supply yet.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
https://twitter.com/greentheonly/status/1366806767146008580?s=20

Looks like Tesla is going to be replacing a bunch of sensors for the 3/Y.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Another youtuber reviews and is disappointed by the ID4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EotuxCptcM4

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1368017749851598850?s=20

In true Tesla fashion, how to let them know is left as an exercise to the reader. Is a tweet to papa Elon enough? Should you make a service request? I feel sorry for all the random employees that are going to have to deal with filtering through all the calls and requests that are going to happen because Musk decided to tweet something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1368329387733512193?s=20

Now you can sit and :f5: in your car.