Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

Following up on this. There's a reddit post from yesterday essentially saying the same thing I am: brain is telling me ID4 and heart is saying Mach-E. My wife liked the ID4 more but she didn't drive it. She thinks I should get the Mach-E.

As someone who hasn't really cared about drivability in the past, will I care in 5 years when the excitement dies down? Probably not, so score one for the ID4.

In 5 years will I care that I spent $10k+ extra on the car over the life of the loan? Hopefully not, so score one for the Mach E.

In 5 years will the lag in the ID4's infotainment screen still bother me? I bet it really will, so I'm pretty close to putting in the Mach E deposit.

edit: also when it comes to financing, I've heard credit unions offer the best rates? I assume no dealer is negotiating on price? I did hear from one that they won't go over MSRP and they'll sign off on that with the pre-order.

I've got one year left on my BMW i3 battery warranty, so I'm starting to move on my next car, I had my eye on either an XC40 Recharge (Last choice, seems overpriced), a Ioniq 5 (Dealership said good luck, not this year probably, we literarily don't know anything) and a Mach-E, call the Ford dealership and was like I'm approved for $80K from my CU and they were just like gently caress off, we have one, you can not test drive it, sign up on ford.com, also gently caress off. Great experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

:thumbsup: Sounds like you just got Forded!(tm) :thumbsup:

(sell me your i3)

It was the preemptive "you can't drive it". What? Maybe if I was like some random 20 year old I could see their concern, I'm a middle aged married professional with a flawless driving record with a $80k loan approval in hand, what do you mean I can't drive it, it's not a Ferrari.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

maybe they’d already sold it? :shrug:

Nope, said it was the only one that they had that wasn't spoken for.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Well, I was really leaning towards the Mach-E Premium, but that doesn't look like a chance in hell in the next couple of months and if so, not at anywhere near MSRP.

I'm pretty firm at $50k being my absolute top end budget before the tax credit, besides the Polestar 2 which is right above my budget well equipped, is there anything that I am missing or do I just need to reevaluate in 6-8 months?

edit: Obviously left off the ID.4, same price point as the Mach-E, I just get the real sense that it feels a lot cheaper in over all fit/finish/features..

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 25, 2022

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Checked a Mach-E, they wanted 10% over MSRP, lol no but said I could order it and they would honor MSRP.

28 weeks+ , looks like Ford hits 200,000 3rd quarter 2022. Do I remember correctly that when they hit 200,000, am I missing something on Ford having at least two more calendar quarters to delivery my Mach-E for me to get the full tax credit? With the Lighting deliveries started, $7,500 is fairly significant in my decision.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
So still on my car journey and I want to loving scream, already have a sole $80k loan approved, every Ford dealer I spoke to has said Ford financing or cashiers check only. So I went to fill out a Ford loan application, first of all, my surname has a hyphen, literally would not allow me to enter it. Tried to fill out a loan just in my name, there is literally no way to honestly answer the application as a married person in a community property state. Do I rent or own, or live with friends or relatives? I mean, the title is in my husband's name, but I don't just live with him, this is our martial homestead. What is my income? Defined how? Again, community property state, only half of my salary belongs to me, what are you asking? So finally just filled out a joint, it was approved, but it doesn't tell you the interest rate!

This is just all so loving stupid.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Welp, prepared to be incredibly disappointed by the delivery schedule, but maybe I will luck out...

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I love that this happens right after like two straight pages of people making GBS threads on Ford and the MachE

Not a GT, Premium.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah for people that aren't as into the performance aspect I think the regular Mach is a pretty great Tesla alternative. I was really happy with almost all other aspects of the car. If/when Ford gets their OTA poo poo straightened out it'll be even better, that was really my only other major complaint.

Are you keeping the BMW or getting rid of it?

Yeah, Tesla is out for me given their quality issues and Musk being a dipshit in general. $50k is really at the very top end of my budget since my work commute is 15 miles round trip and is almost all of my driving, so the other options I was really considering were the Volvo Recharge and Polestar 2 which are priced closer to $55-60k. Not a huge fan of the Kia/Hyundai.

I'm still not sure I'm going to follow through on the Mach-E, talked to the dealership today, they aren't marketing it up too much but with the delays I am really counting on the tax credit and socking some extra money away over the next 6 months to make this week, just seeing taxes and the dealer markup pushes it up over $56k, but I'm thinking with interest rates/expiring tax credits/used car prices, actually spending more money is a better overall financial decision.

BMW is going, actually, the reason I am leaning towards this is I have a year left on my battery warranty, and a out of warranty exotic BMW with a battery pack without a warranty seems like a ticking time bomb, I think the value of the car is probably higher if it still has some battery warranty left on it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

I sat in a 2019 (iirc?) i3 at Carmax the other day when I was getting an appraisal, what a great funky interior.

Yeah, I really love my i3, it just seems really financially imprudent to keep it. Also did an online appraisal for Carmax, they offered me $16,000 for my 2014 i3 (2015 delivery) which is significantly over bluebook value. I need to do some more research on value though considering I am counting on selling the i3 to make the Mach-E make financial sense. Given their construction and general rarity, I strongly suspect they might have more value parted out than as straight used cars.

And just to be clear, when I say cost considerations, I can very much afford a $56k car, but there is the money opportunity cost that I need to consider with a 15 mile commute. If I had an hour+ 60 mile commute I might look at the cost very differently.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Can anyone confirm if the Ford dealer was blowing smoke up my rear end, or probably, how much?

Basically what I said is 6 months is a long time to wait on a car, and a lot can change between then and now and I don't want to be stuck with a $45k car loan if some circumstances change. He said that it sucks for dealerships right now because they are basically prioritizing Lightening and Mach-Es over everything right now and they are giving dealerships little to no way to mark them up nor order them for themselves, that they are completely prioritizing pre-orders made by direct consumers and very fixed on the profit that they are allowed to make on them.

Basically, don't worry, we would be LOVE to be "stuck" with you car and sell it at a markup to someone else instead of you, our B2B truck business is in the trash right now because all Ford wants to do is prioritize consumer sales over our bread and butter.

Which seems to check out, but sounds, un-Ford like.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 10, 2022

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If you order the car and don’t want it later they will happily sell it to someone else, probably with a markup. That is how we got ours. You’re under no obligation to buy the car when it comes in.

Did you have any consideration on specs? I live in Texas and not a zoom zoomie driver so I really don't see the need for AWD, never had it, and don't plan on taking to car on road trips. $6,000 for 53 extra miles of range seems like a shockingly bad deal and 5.8 0-60 seems MORE than enough, all my driving is urban and a both love the acceleration of my i3 and everyone remarks about how shocked about how zippy it is, and it's slower than the Mach-E.

Husband really liked the white with the black interior, white just struck me as very soccer mom and I was worried about interior heat from the glass roof in Texas, especially with non-ventilated pleather seats (Never thought I would ever consider pleather). I went with the red exterior because that basically seems to be Ford's marketing color.

My plan is to keep this at least 7 years, so went with Premium so I didn't feel any regret in that on getting a feature, if I had it all to do over again I would have gotten the HK sound in my otherwise completely maxed out i3.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

We would have taken either an AWD or RWD with the extended range battery and premium package. We ended up with a RWD which was the preference due to the better range and no real need for AWD or better acceleration. Personally I think the big battery will hold its value better and it gives more margin during winter when the range is already lower, so that’s what we went with. It’s also our only vehicle so the extra range for longer drives was highly desirable.

It’s been a really good car so far and we are happy with the choice. Wife preferred it over the ID.4 after the test drive and we plan to keep it for a long time so the extra 10k wasn’t a deal breaker.

We ended up paying a 2.5k markup but I wanted to get it before the end of 2021 to get the tax credit, and the value I got from selling my old car to Vroom more than covered the markup.

Yeah, from what I can tell, Ford isn't going to hit the end of the $7,500 tax credit until 1st quarter 2023 at the earliest and I'm not in a rush to buy a car and not going to hit our savings to buy an expensive car, so a long wait, if anything, gives me more time to sock money away specifically for the down payment. And my husband has an ICE car and live in a pretty urban area, so the range on my i3 has never been an issue.

I guess my only remaining qualm is the touchscreen. In my test drive it seemed slightly awkwardly placed, I kind of wanted to tilt it up a little bit as far as clarity and button access, but that may be just me coming from the BMW high mounted screen with their iDrive controller.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

not that it matters/should matter to you but the i3 is going to be a classic one day probably

Probably, but I don't have the interest in storing or maintaining it for 20 years and I live in a 1940s house with a one car garage and a carport, so I'm going to hope that with it discontinued it will just add a seller premium in 6-8 months.

And dear lord I just sent the paperwork off on a $56,000 car that I'm going to drive 15 miles a day.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Sorry to steal the idiot crown here but I’m currently at $51k to drive 6mi :downs:

It looks like the majority of the worst part of my commute is BlueCruise enabled and urban highway congestion clogged so I am hoping there is a chance I will just be able to drink my morning coffee and curse at people, it may be worth it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Welp, dealership placed my ordered today for a Mach-E Premium, Rapid Red with Space Gray interior, waiting game begins!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

It’s a shame that BMW has probably been scared off from ever making another car like that again.

A properly quick EV successor to the i8 would be a sweet car

I think BMW pretty much gave up for good on their carbon fiber process but there will almost certainly me an iM8 at some point.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Rapid red is good, second best Mach color.

Yeah, I waffled a lot on it, probably wouldn't have done it if I hadn't test drove that combo. I live in Texas and don't have covered parking at work, so I didn't want the glass roof turning the interior a million degrees, especially without ventilated seats. It was that or white, the grays looked drab, black was out, Texas, I liked white, just couldn't see myself in it, looks a little Lexus driving soccer mom to me.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Given that the $7500 tax rebate presumably won't be available for these, it would have to be a pretty hefty discount.

Price is almost certainly be close to MSRP or higher without the discount because you don't have to wait. However, there could be a chunk of people that have the money but aren't eligible for tax credits that this might be appealing to.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

priznat posted:

I don't think any of the high end BMWs have been really pure performance, the 6 and 8 series were not setting the world on fire in that way. But they definitely looked great making an entrance like you say. I loved those ones but the i8, phewwwww no thanks. Performance doesn't even enter into it, I just think it looks bad.

It's great about making an entrance until you have to get in or out of the car. Have you ever seen anyone do that? Roof is low, the carbon fiber rocker panel is approximately 1ft tall and 1ft wide and there is not much clearance with the scissor doors. It's actually kind of hilarious watching someone realize how absolutely not cool they look getting out of the car as they thought they were going to make an impressive entrance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO_WANvvEFg

With Style!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Why not install a rotisserie in it, then.

https://twitter.com/drift0r/status/1410009684807872512

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Indiana_Krom posted:

Going back to the 12v discussion earlier today. You can run almost any vehicle without a 12v battery, you just can't ever turn it off. EVs are less obvious about it than an ICE vehicle, but they still do "turn off".

Also the 12v battery is a safety item, if the vehicle is hit in such a way that the HV battery is damaged and the pyrotechnic fuse blows, the 12v battery keeps all the windows, doors, power steering, power brakes, etc operational. Which could be very useful if HV battery is in the process of violently exploding, you would still very much like to be able to unlock and open the doors or roll down the windows to escape the vehicle.

This is why I keep a glass break hammer in my front door pocket after I heard that it's actually horrifically common that people get into survivable car accidents and burn to death as people desperately try and free them because they can't break the window out and get you out of the seatbelt.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They were likely cancelled reservations. It took so long coming out that many people, myself included, cancelled their reservation but by then it was already allocated in the production system. Hyundai, Ford and VW are basically just trying to get reservations out the door before they start providing dealer stock. Doesn’t mean the cars are impossible to find, I managed to get a Mach-E after a few weeks of looking, but they generally aren’t sitting unsold for very long at all, at least in the US.

Yeah, when I ordered my Mach-E I asked what would happen if I had to back out for some reason before taking delivery (A lot can happen in 6 months) and the guy basically laughed and said we would love nothing more for you not to complete the sale because we can sell it to someone else for more money.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
OK, this is more of a finance question than an EV question, except this finance option only applies to the Mach-E and F-150 Lighting, so I guess kind of an EV question?

Just looking at the "Ford Option" program, apparently I can finance 45% of the car into a balloon payment at a 10,500 mile limit, paying the other 55% as a standard loan at 2.49%, but retain ownership of the car, so I get to claim the full tax credit without owning interest on the financed portion of the tax credit, put the tax credit in savings and then either dump it into the $20k~ ballon, or if I don't want to keep the car or those numbers don't make sense, dump the car to Ford Credit with a guarantee that they will cover the balloon?

I'm going to have to look at the numbers more closely, but that seems like a potentially fabulous deal financially if you aren't worried about the millage limit? Basically a lease but you get to pocket the tax credit. And I get to pay the balloon in 2025 dollars denominated in 2022 dollars? My work commute is <3,900 miles a year, there is absolutely no danger of me running into the millage limit.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 16, 2022

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

hostile apostle posted:

I didn't think there was a residual guarantee on Ford Options?

One upside of going the Options route is that they used to offer rebates of as much as $2,500 depending on where you're located, not sure if this still active.

Apparently there is with the Mach-E and Lighting only:

Ford posted:

Balloon Financing Made Simple
With balloon financing, you’ll make lower monthly payments (when compared with traditional retail financing) with a one-time "balloon" payment at the end of your contract term. If you choose to retain your vehicle, you’ll simply make this final payment and the vehicle is yours! If you choose to return the vehicle, an amount equal to your originally scheduled balloon payment will be applied to your account.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Sonic Dude posted:

It’s a lease, they just call it a balloon payment loan so that you get the tax credit (in a traditional lease the credit would go to the leasing trust). Assuming the “balloon” (lease residual) doesn’t change based on down payment, then the typical advice of putting minimal money down on a lease probably applies. Save the tax money for when you buy something else in a few years, or use it to make the payments, or whatever.

I’ve also always been told to go into a lease expecting to give the car back at the end, whether that’s via a straight return or a buyout/immediate resale. Otherwise, you’ll nearly always pay a lot more interest (and usually get a worse APR at every turn) doing a lease and then buying it out via a loan. If you’re planning to just pay the balloon/buyout cash then you’re better putting that down at the start of a traditional loan.

Make sure you have GAP insurance (or that the options thing comes with it, if the dealership doesn’t force it on you in the back office), because with the balloon, you’re paying down the principal more slowly. You could find yourself upside-down whenever the car market becomes less batshit crazy. Being underwater isn’t a problem at the end of the 3 years because you have a guaranteed option to hand over the keys and walk away, but if the vehicle is totaled then you could be boned.

I will have to look at the numbers more closely. The only reason I am getting rid of my BMW i3 is my extended warranty and factory battery warranty are ending after 8 years. Short of any major defects, I don't see my Mach-E being any different, it's going to go at 7 years as the battery warranty ends. I'm really not a car person and my current work commute is 15 miles round trip.

The Mach-E is pretty much about anticipating my needs changing in the next 4-7 years and not wanting to be exposed to an out of warranty carbon fiber BMW. At least one of my logical career moves opening up in the next few years would take me just out of the i3 being practical and the used market is so hosed I might as well buy new.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 16, 2022

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Kirios posted:

I was comparing it to a Dodge Caravan right next to it and they were very similar in size. The Caravan was bigger, but the Mach-E wasn't that far off. I guess I just expected a smaller vehicle for something with the Mustang name on it. I wouldn't have thought twice about the size if it was called the Ford Electron or whatever.

I really do not understand this gripping about the Mustang name, crossovers are what everyone wants right now, Ford had a lot of brand equity in the Mustang independent the Ford brand and was trying to get away from the Ford brand (The Mach-E is barely labeled as a Ford).

No one in the market for a ICE Mustang is going to be dissuaded by the Mach-E existing and the Mach-E is bringing new buyers in a new market to an already established brand.

In a world where this exists as the brand's most profitable car in their line up:

Ford would have been crazy to come up with a new brand for new car.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'm sure they thought they had a good reason to do that but why should "Brand Equity" have anything to do with anyone's opinion on whether or not it's dumb to redefine the Mustang as an SUV

Because as a boring middle-aged liberal married man who has driven BMWs and a Lexus his entire life, I ordered a Ford Mustang and other people in my demographic seem to love it as the old Mustang's characteristics are starting to seem gross?

I just want a hatch for my backpack, groceries and buying plants sometimes, I would have never have considered a "Mustang" otherwise.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

I don't have data to back this up but I think this is heavily skewed by manufacturers saying that people want crossovers

When I was shopping EVs there was a conspicuous lack of sedans, pretty much just Tesla and Polestar (who are barely getting off the ground as far as production goes). Tesla sells a gazillion sedans but manufacturers don't want to make sedans, so they make EV crossovers instead and we wind up with people concluding that people actually really want crossovers because that's what the manufacturers are saying

Tiny Timbs posted:

The last time I saw a "sedans are dead" article they didn't even list EV sedans as sedans.

I mean, the overall car market says people want crossovers. If we are talking about EVs in general, obviously, Tesla dominates that market, but their only mass market EV is a sedan and it should be fairly obvious that they don't have the resources to develop a crossover.

And no, the Y is not a crossover, it's a smushed Model 3 that rides 1 inch higher with less than 8 inches of height resulting in a whole extra .7 inches of front headroom for an extra $9,000. If the 3 didn't exist it would be considered a particularly ugly hatchback and not a "crossover".

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The model Y is a crossover.

I mean, in overall context, the Lexus RX350 is clearly a crossover even though it is based on the Camry, no one is going to confuse the market segment. Maybe it is just me, but whenever I see a Y I just see a Model 3 with worse body proportions clearly dictated by the Model 3 platform at an extremely premium price.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Sedan supremacy, it’s only been a month but I in no way regret picking a 3 over a Y

You absolutely shouldn't, unless you were considering an even less overpriced car.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I cross shopped the Mach-e and the Hyundai/Kia twins

OK, then definitely order FSD before the price goes up.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Consumer Reports replaced the Model 3 with the Mach-E as the best electric vehicle for 2022 today.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Sonic Dude posted:

The criticism that covering the camera basically disables driver monitoring is a fair one. From what I can tell, it just shortens the “do something with the wheel” time (to as low as “too late, turn the wheel right now”) based on what it sees. Phone usage makes it mad, which I’d be fine with if the drat thing had CarPlay and I didn’t need to fumble with my phone to change podcasts.

I think the core concern is one typical of Tesla, the major auto makers are using systems designed to accurately detect eye gaze and Tesla put a webcam in the rearview mirror and was just like, well, it can do this too, except it sucks at it.

See: Everything from rain sensing windshield wipers to Mobileye Autopilot.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

"The 7500 tax credit will help offset the 10k market adjustment though!" Jesus gently caress off with that garbo logic. I'm sad for the number of folks that must work on though.

Yeah, Ford dealer tried to play all that bullshit with me. "It's only 5k, other dealerships are marking it up 10k!" "I'm not paying 10% markup on a car" "It's not 10%, it's only 5k" "Dude, seriously, I can do the mental math on 5k on a $50k car, this isn't differential algebra."

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Finger's crossed, there is a rumor that existing orders that don't have production dates are being pushed back late 2022, which I fully expected, delivered as 2023 models, which makes sense.

Still terrified, I feel like my dealership has dicked around with getting me a signed sales price agreement that is actually signed by the manager where it says this agreement is only accepted when signed by the sales manager, but we have an email chain from the manager saying this is my signed sales agreement, so I think it is close enough that intent is clear if they try and screw me.

The most disappointing thing in all of this is Ford charged my credit card and was just like, sorry, not sorry, everything is between you and your Independently Owned and Operated Ford Dealership. Really impressive how Tesla managed to make eliminating the dealership worse for consumers somehow.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

2023, intriguing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Carmax near me has a Mach-E GT (non- Performance Edition, so 64,000 MSRP at most) and they're asking $72,000 for it.

Based off what they offered me for my GTPE that means they've probably got 15,000 or 16,000 dollars of markup on it.

It's one thing if they're charging a shitload but also paying a shitload for trades, but this is not that, their trade in offer was $8,000 less than what Lithia/Driveway offered me.

Now that Ford has cut off Premium and extended range orders, those are probably about to go through roof. I finally managed to get my dealership to send me a fully signed purchase agreement that was actually signed where it says this is an accepted order. $1,500 over MSRP, but I figure if I didn't have that in hand $6-7k would be likely, I was already seeing $5k+ markups before they announced you could no longer order.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

blk posted:

Can anyone tell me if any EVs have a feature that can detach the charger from inside the car? Or is the coupling just magnetic and you can drive away without it pulling on anything, like a MagSafe connector?

Also, what typically happens when you try to drive with the charging door left open?

Sorry if these sound like stupid questions, they’re for a brainstorming project and I’ve never charged an EV before.

Thanks!

Pretty sure an EV won't arm the drivetrain with a power source plugged in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

this

you literally can’t drive away with the thing plugged in unless you deliberately gently caress with the car/charger to let you do it

Just double checked because I was pretty sure this is true, the EV plug has a resister in it to tell the car the power spec of the cable and that it is plugged in. The power systems of EVs are pretty universally extremely intolerant of any faults whatsoever and do not put kill you voltages into the car unless it is extremely clear that it is safe to do so.