Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

jesus I'm out of the EV loop and just found out about this car last night.

I just watched that and the race against the Zx14r and busa. Thats crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh god, begining the very initial stages of new vehicle shopping (looking PHEV) and I'm already seeing dealers trying to force you to bundle totally unnecessary and stupid things like a "Canadian accessory package" in the out the door price for $3K which includes a 20% "discount" on dealer accessories and remote car starter....... on a PHEV which includes an app anyhow. :smithicide:

Why on earth are we still using this archaic, shifty as gently caress dealer model in TYOOL 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Anyone have any inside info on Toyota, specifically Rav4 Prime production? I was told by someone they are 4 years behind, dealer guy told me yesterday "probably 1 or 2" years.

Is production rate increasing on them anytime soon enough to maybe just get something off the lot or should someone just place a deposit and hope to get something ~eventually~

The only thing the dealer has in stock for immediate delivery are Tacos and 4Runners.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

loving dealers.

I'm starting the process right now of looking at a a PEHV. Even considering a Mitsu Outlander PEHV of all things, which are in stock.

Why do they do everything they possibly can to make it as painful as possible, including blatant rip off "care packages"

I mean, I'd potentially be willing to pay full MSRP, taxes, even a bullshit dealer "documentation fee" but a multi-$K$ "care package" that includes such awesome things as "POST DELIVERY INSPECTION and PRIORITY SHUTTLE SERVICE"

Are you loving kidding me?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Big Taint posted:

Somehow my dumb gen 1 Bolt has all that stuff but no active cruise, which is why I had to get the open source poo poo. Because once you use it, regular cruise just doesn’t cut it.
FWIW neither does my work Silverado.

So closure on my dealers suck rant.

Communicating by email asking for out the door cash pricing on the Outlander PHEV they have on their lot (they have 4).

Comes back with a $$ but no breakdown of it whatsoever. Fair enough, I didn't ask for it. So I ask for a breakdown of the price and remind him I am not interested in any dealer add-ons.

So he replies with a breakdown including $3000 for a DIAMOND MAINTENANCE PACKAGE... which is basically prepaid oil changes and wiper blades. Oh yeah "Battery" optimization and inspection on a PHEV.

Um, yeah no.

So I reply and say "Hey, I'm not going to ask you to waste more of your or my time. If you can't sell it without some sort of add-on dealer package I'm not interested. Thanks."

His reply "Sorry, I don't set the prices on these. I would if I could. Management does. Have a good weekend."

I can't wait for some sort of normalcy to supply. loving blatant pocket lining. Look, I'm probably willing to stroke a check for a car, probably the most expensive car on the Mitsu lot, even with bullshit fees like "documentation". But I draw the line at poo poo like that. Just glad I don't *need* a car now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As much as dealerships are a pain in the rear end, they are a necessary evil. Between inventory (HAH!), logistics, servicing, they really are needed and something resembling the dealer network would end up being needed.

The experience of being charged over MSRP because ~reasons~ or forced dealer add-ons is not a pleasant experience. Kickbacks happen in addition to outright profit from cost versus MSRP everywhere on the transaction. From the finance company, warranty company (if applicable), factory/corporate, everywhere. Getting it right at the top line so the consumer feels and knows they were hosed over is just a lovely, unethical thing to do. Trying to talk the customer into something is one thing, forcing them is another.

Yet here we are.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Going to admit, after reading your posts I did some searching. I like it too. We're quasi in the market for a PHEV and it's a little more than I was planing on spending, but it sure seems like a nice ride. No volvo dealers anywhere near us though which makes Mrs. Slidebite nervous in case anything goes wrong.

Stupid question: Does it come with a spare tire/donut or just a patch kit?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Wizard of the Deep posted:

How convenient that it's already so close to coffin-shaped.

lol

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

mattfl posted:

One of these showed up in the doctors parking lot today

I have no idea what I'm looking at there

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If we went EV we'd probably just do 110V charging at home, and it's super rare but I'd be lying if I said we never had a time that we had to get up and go somewhere unexpected in an emergency at 1AM. No problem with an IC but would be a problem if the car only had enough charge to make it 20 miles and you needed to go 40.

A plug in hybrid still appeals to me for quasi irrational fears like that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Any news or takes on that Toyota press release a week or so ago on crazy new batteries with super high ranges, fast charging and less weight?

I realize press releases, prototypes, hype =/ production, but curious if there has been any follow up on more concrete answers since then?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DoLittle posted:

Another Stellantis EV arrived today to serve as a dog transport that can occasionally tow a light car trailer. After multiple delays, over 18 months since it was ordered. It is a Peugeot 308 PHEV station wagon.

Wireless cellphone charging left out at the factory is still to be installed later, though.

Good thing about the wait is that when ordered interest rate was 1.6% APR, price ~7 k€ less than current MSRP and the value of the previous car they took in exchange was fixed 18 months ago. :)

Neat. So out of curiosity what's the electric only range?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Honest question as someone who really knows nothing about EVs, why is Chademo going to be relegated to the dumpster heap of tech in the near future? Why are people still making cars that utilize it?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

cruft posted:

It's just old, basically. Newer, better technologies exist, including CHAdeMO v3, which looks suspiciously like NACS with a 3rd high-voltage terminal.

Like, same reason you don't see many of those square USB connectors these days.

I don't think anybody ITT knows, although a few have sort of hinted that maybe Nissan is not the most forward-looking of the Japanese automakers.

So using your USB analogy, it's physically limiting things like potential charge rate and needs to move forward to be able to charge batteries faster now and in the near future?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

RE: Charging and walking away convenience.

Anyone ever run into a problem of some rear end in a top hat unplugging your car while charging?

I was talking to someone who worked at a hotel that had one and said that is an issue.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So locking the plug to the vehicle when charging is a thing? I didn't know that. How does that work?

I just assumed it's like a gas pump or wall socket in that it's just pushed in and can be pulled out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Technology Connections guy released his take on the Tesla/NACS plug situation. As a non EV owner I found it interesting as he discussed several things I had no idea of.

https://youtu.be/ZJOfyMCEzjQ

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Genuinely shocked that the local Honda dealer has multiple Hybrid CRVs in stock, while Hybrid Ravs are still 6-12 month deliveries and Primes are supposedly still approx 2x that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

Disappointed there wasn't a mention of the volvo trip when I ordered mine! I doubt I would be able to go but sweden sounds pretty neat.
You still have many, many months right? Why don't you call your salesperson and ask them?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

WhiteHowler posted:

Oh. Neat. How long did you wait?

I'm about to enter the 9th month of waiting for Chevy to build my Bolt EUV.

I don't really care that much; I don't have a deposit down anymore and have been enjoying the Ioniq 6 for (most of) the last several months. I'll still take delivery of the Bolt if/when it shows up, because it's a good car for cheap and we need to replace my wife's aging Fusion. But it seems more like an academic exercise at this point.
Are Bolt EUVs tough to get or are you just looking for a special color/option package?

My local dealer shows 2x in inventory and several more within 1-2 hour drive.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As a non-ev haver, what do you guys mean by reboot? Just turning the car off and on? Or is there more to this?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

I am looking at the local dealership now and they have an $8k discount listed for an iX xDrive50, and they have *47* iX's in stock, I'm kind of shocked.

e: oh it is a demo vehicle, but still that's a pretty good discount (almost 900km on it so far)

Maybe I should go test drive..

Didn't you just order a volvo?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Question about the ability to retain charge.

How long can an EV not appreciably lose charge if it's parked? Scenario is lets say you are parking a car at an airport or whatever for 3 weeks/month in "normal" weather conditions (not super hot or super cold) but in a non serviced long term parking spot so you can't just leave it attached to 110.

Is it reasonable to say the range will not majorly change from when you parked? Or is it totally reasonable to expect a fairly significant loss?

Honest question as I have zero clue but curious.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

lostleaf posted:

I just left the model 3 for 20 days in an uncovered airport parking lot with overheat protection on but no sentry mode. It dropped 2%. This car is a little over 5 years old with 80k miles. I remember the first time I left for a trip, I obsessively checked it twice a day for a week and it dropped 6-8%. Lol, It was even in the same SFO parking lot. So don't check the Tesla app and it'll be fine.

Thanks for the info medium/long term parking folks, sounds like it's not really much of a concern.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What's the thoughts for PHEVs as a middle ground for people that have range anxiety? With a periodic (but not often) need to do long, 6-900KM road trips at any time of the year including cold (-30) weather?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the PHEV discussion. I never really even considered the added complexity. I just "assumed" a PHEV=Hybrid for general complexity and those seem pretty darn reliable, lemons excepted as with anything else of course... and didn't think much of BEV>Hybrid for reliability, but due to having an ICE and associated baggage that entails, that does make sense

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Squibbles posted:

Ironic because I remember one of my teachers in highschool complaining that the phone company made him get rid of the big old cell phone he had and replace it with whatever the newer ones were at that time (1996 or so). He said the battery life and reception of the new smaller phone was absolute garbage compared to his old phone. I mean the new one probably had to be charged at least once a week! I think his old one could make it 1-2 weeks between charges.
I'm old enough to remember cells being carried in bags that probably weighed darn near 25lbs, mostly due to the massive lead acid battery. I was too young to have one, but I remember seeing them in the wild for real.

First phone I actually used was our company phone, a micro-tac and it was awesome because it was so small.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

https://i.imgur.com/pv0LPoL.mp4

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Moonroofs and sunroofs are stupid and I hate them

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That Works posted:

You can see the hand and fingerprints all over that cybertruck even in the smaller img previews lol.
Is that paint or SS like my fridge?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Was Will.I.Am the chief designer?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Cockmaster posted:

I didn't know anyone made a car with lane keep assist but no adaptive cruise.

Chev/GM does too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Nisan STILL makes their Leafs with CHAdeMO to this day!
The Mitsu PHEV is too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Drove by the Subaru dealer and they had 4x Solterra's on the lot.
At $62K each, including $5K :canada: rebate

:v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

What does that mean?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Triggerhappypilot posted:

It means it either got completely wrecked or is some kind of lemon, typically.

Oh, so like a salvage title?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

darnon posted:

Depends on the brand. Ford usually has a few dealers that sign up to be the dumping ground for reselling buyback vehicles once they get repaired.

By definition wouldn't a dealer have tried to repair a car returned via a lemon law several times already?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

priznat posted:

There has got to be just a ton of problems getting the QA to an acceptable level with the cybertruck body panels alone. It's such a goofy way to handicap yourself by making the design incredibly hard to mass produce. Being able to stamp out massive shaped body panels for regular cars and attach them seamlessly is huge. If they have to weld all the flat panels together jfc what a nightmare.

Tesla has body QA?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Doom Rooster posted:

Absolutely. At the end, there’s a guy who pats each car and gives it a Quick, “Attaboy!” as it rolls off the line.

Reminds me of this and the bricklin:

quote:

Malcom Bricklin’s dad helped by coming up with the idea to whack body panels with a hammer to make sure they wouldn’t fall off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It looks too good. Not a chance it will get made, or if it does it will be boiled down to something generic and boring as hell.

e: The Mazda I mean