Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
The problem with the discussion was that it was constantly derailed by non stop bickering about Musk's latest wisdom and/or "lmao tesla bad". More discussion about actual electric car stuff/new technologies would have fixed it. Please dont be part of the problem (I realize the irony of my statement here).

Here's something to be actually mad about :

Remember this?

Well it's now this.

Enjoy generic suv/crossover #45448972312.

Now if I was to tie this in to tesla chat, I would argue that they at least would have the balls to try and engineer the first car depicted and produce it, even though you'd probably need around 5 years of them ironing the kinks out for it to be actually worth owning.
Goddamn mercedes really dropped the ball there, I was full of hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

The before picture looks just as generic, just "concept render smoothed". For every person that bemoans the bland generic design of many new EVs, there's a reason for it, and it's every person who crowed about "why does a hybrid/EV have to look like a goddamn alien space ship from the future, just make it look like a normal car.

The before pic also looks like a hot hatch and the real production vehicle is a goddamned SUV. Which was my point

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
Well this thread wont last long.

I rented a model 3 to test it a year or so ago and I used the brake once (emergency braking, probably wasn't needed but rental so I didn't want to take any risks).
I liked the one pedal driving, although I'm not sure if it was in that mode or somesuch, but I had turned on regen brake to the max. It slowed down significantly faster than my manual ICE cars (diesel and gasoline VW Golfs).
I'll add that I'm very light on the brakes in my ICE cars and usually slow down most of the way with downshifting/engine braking/coasting and planning for anticipated stops/slowdowns. So it was a pretty easy switch for me to do and felt pleasant.
I was also abusing autopilot/lane keep + auto cruise so I wasn't in any situations where I wanted to have my foot over the brake and the car was slowing down too much.
The only other experience I had with this sort of drivetrain setup was with electrical forklifts/pallet jacks, so it might have helped the transition, but it felt natural and a much better evolution to driving than the traditional gas/brake setup of ice cars.

One thing I can see though is getting complacent with all the automatic driving stuff and loosing a bit of reaction time to shifting your foot on the brake for emergency situations. But thats probably going to be trained into our minds as we shift to cars with those automated systems and actually use them.

I did experience the auto emergency brake in the tesla, I tried autopilot on a country road with only side markers (no dividing line) and oh boy did the car not understand anything, treating the road as a single lane one way strip. Whenever it picked up an incoming car, it would slam your face into the dash. Needless to say I switched to manual driving for that portion of road pretty quickly.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Charles posted:

No just when trying to shut it. Nothing scary like that. I pushed it shut and the window rolled up but then it came back out and the window rolled down. Once you kinda held it it would go. It's intermittent. I suspect the latch needs to be adjusted?

Oh yeah the Autopilot was kind of homidical. If another car came by it would steer toward it. Not sure how far it would go as I would immediately disengage it. I don't know how that one goon taped a can to their wheel, but I suspect people like that are the ones who don't really care about defined lanes anyway. I notice it's in the "advanced" software mode meaning it's basically beta software.

Apparently the creaking suspsension is a super common issue with the control arms.

When I rented a model 3 I initially thought I wouldn't like the autopilot but it turned out to be a great driver aid, with the main caveat being it needs clear lane markings. Whenever the lane markings were missing/hosed, the autopilot seemed to not understand what was going on. Although it never tried to kill me, it did result in the car doing a few emergency brakings because it thought we were going to have a head on collision with the incoming traffic on a two lane country road with no middle lane divider/marker.

It worked superbly on highways though and IMO it was exactly where I wanted it to work (dense traffic, decent speeds with autopilot meant I could relax a little and not constantly adjust speed/distance to front car/etc).

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Godholio posted:

This should not be acceptable.

I'd rather have the car stop than accelerate into an obstacle. The system clearly uses lane markings to work and since there was no middle lane markings and only side lines, it thought it was a one way (a bit wide I guess) road. It did do a good job of hugging the right line marker so it would just barrel down the middle of the road.

In any case it's not an "autopilot" as some people would think but rather like a plane "autopilot" you need to stay alert at the controls and be ready to take over at any time to correct errors that the computer makes.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
gently caress doing yard work with cabled tools, especially for mowers/trimmers. It's a huge hassle and I'd rather use gas powered tools than mess with a wire getting all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Ola posted:

I know we should avoid this, but the cult of Elon is taking weirder turns by the day. Anthropomorphic broccolis now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brocklee replies on a lot of youtubers and assorted personalities' posts. Probably should have checked his profile first lmao