Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think our species interacts with time in a way a bit different from humans. Our day-trip into space involves enough time to not just see significant changes in a planet's geology, but to see significant progress in the stellar cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes you do have to keep an eye on it because it does not account for objects between you and the place you are going to

I thought Elon Musk was specifically prohibited from having anything to do with the design of spacecraft?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HerStuddMuffin posted:

• The Nomai created the ash twin project specifically to generate a 22 minute time loop. (it’s in one of the conversations) Why 22 minutes? Also, curious as they were, how did they manage to resist doing that thing that is mentioned in spoilers? It was my first thought and I’m not even that inquisitive.
  • Why does the shuttle cannon fire at the beginning of the game? Is it simply because the sun is about to go nova? Is it possible to catch it and get on board?
  • what was that probe, armored to withstand a nova, supposed to accomplish? What would have happened if they had succeeded?
  • what is that probe ship pointed at? What was it intended to fire at? And why? Were the Nomai still trying to get off this system?
  • Are projections current images of what goes on in other places? Can you get a scout to show up in one by dropping it at a scene and activating a projection of that place?

Some answers if you want:
The Nomai really, really wanted to find the Eye of the Universe. But there was just too much space to search.
Experimenting with the White Hole they found it was possible to travel backwards in time. Or at least, to send information back in time. But the amount of energy required increases exponentially as the span increases. To travel a useful amount backwards would require a whole looot of energy. Like, a supernova worth of energy. A supernova's worth of energy could send information back a whole 22 minutes.
So, the plan:
1) Blast the probe out into space, searching for the Eye of the Universe
2) blank
3) Blow up the sun
4) If the probe finds the Eye of the Universe, send the co-ordinates back to step 2 along with a command to not blow up the sun
5) Rewind, try again

If everything works the loop runs and runs and runs and runs until the probe stumbles across the location of the eye of the universe, meaning they got to brute-force search the entire universe with a single probe. And without even blowing up the sun, since they'll tell themselves not to!

Step 3 didn't work. They couldn't blow up the sun. Then everyone died due to the Interloper.
(many, many years pass)
The sun blows up just as part of the perfectly normal stellar sequence progression. This activates the Project. However everythings a bit misconfigured and scattered around by now, so it instead sends your memories 22 minutes into the past.

Please, feel free to correct the things I undoubtedly got wrong.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Yeah, I can accept that as a storytelling shortcut. It would have been more rigorous to have the loop start from the beginning, but it makes more gameplay sense to not make the player redo the tutorial from scratch until they can get through it in less than 22 minutes. There’s a lot of it and it takes a while apparently, between the hide and seek game to learn to use the transmitter, the drone landing training, and the zero g caverns, talking to everyone... wouldn’t want to end it with “you died” half a dozen times before the player gets frustrated and quits, not understanding why those crazy designers put a hard deadline on the tutorial level like that.

Up until the first supernova, the game looks so classic, complete with the starting village where everyone’s purpose in life is to explain game mechanics to you, it would have spoiled things to blow it up early.

I guess they could have had the statue not have reached the museum yet and be sitting on a pallet near your ship, activating when you walk past it on your way to launch?