Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Some spoiler-free advice to help you fly: when you have a planet/target selected, the HUD will show a couple of important items: the distance from the target and relative speed, the hud will be red if you are moving away and blue if you are moving towards the target, and lastly there will be arrows surrounding the reticle that indicate whether you are moving more to the left/right/up/down, relative to the course of the target.

For example: in this screenshot you have activated autopilot, which is accelerating because you are moving away from the target (hud is red), you are also moving left, as indicated by the very long, white, left arrow. (you can see what engines are firing by the 'cross' of lamps that are placed at the bottom of the screen, between the autopilot text menu and the damage status menu).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

effectively the autopilot will take you from A to B without considering what might be in the way. In other words, a tesla.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so you use the arrow keys while the signalscope is on to change to different channels. Another behavior to take note of is that if you get close enough to a signal while it is centered on your hud, the game will register the source and give it a descriptor, such as emergency beacon. Same with all the other signals.

edit: rephrased

Also you only read 1 of the 4 messages in the alien ship thingie.

double nine fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 21, 2020

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

you might want to check the journal to see where there is still more to explore.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

pedrovay2003 posted:

Aw, dang, I think it's too late for us. :-\

Remember: a new game doesn't reset anything. The only difference between the endgame and the start is knowledge of the player.

edit: and the launch code. Can't forget those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

that reminds me, I accidentally figured out the ash twin project teleporter. Like everyone I was stumped for a bit, it never seemed to do anything. So I ended up placing a probe on top of it and went off to do other things.

Once I noticed that the probe was no longer on the pad, but also hadn't been sucked towards ember twin, that was the confirmation that the pad had to do something, and it was time to experiment. So I did it again, this time observing the probe from the alcove, where you don't get sucked towards ember twin. After that the 'trick' became obvious pretty quickly.