Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, nice, I've just been thinking about how I'd love to see this game LP'd since I'm playing it myself and currently suspecting I won't quite finish it on account of being horrible at orientation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
If you're bothered by the loading and generally bad performance, try turning down the shadows in graphics. Apparently it's one part of the game that's really badly optimized and quite the resource hog.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, some of those theories you're spinning there are downright magical. :allears: Be careful what you wish for.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think I managed to cover most of the game this weekend. There are still a few areas that I haven't really gone to yet but I am saving those for later. I'm still not great at space navigation but there are a lot of times you can't use the autopilot.
I've beaten the game without using it. Admittedly, that was because the first time I turned it on it flew me into the sun.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Anglerfish! Those things scared me shitless and they're extremely effective at ramping up pressure in the otherwise chill and majestic Dark Bramble - given the line of sight, you can just never know where they're going to pop up from.

There's one thing I really dislike about them but that's gonna have to wait until after you manage to discover that anti-anglerfish technology you mentioned...

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Aw hell, you two figured out the Quantum Moon so much faster than I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So it turns out, I, uh, managed to beat the game without ever realizing you could pass time in it, which made the Quantum Tower a massive exercise in frustration (especially on the first try where I waited for at with my ship at the white hole, got turned around in space and never found the goddamn thing before the sun exploded).

Fedule posted:

I severely dislike Dark Bramble because of the specific constraints around anglerfish evasion; there is an element to the difficulty of it which is largely artificial and completely needless and screams for a somewhat more discrete in-game solution. I'm not wholly sure how it could be optimally done but it's one of the very few cases in this game where a problem is born of interactions between game systems which are themselves fine but turn out to jar when taken together.

Regarding anglerfish evasion, that's one of the very few things I really dislike about this game, and it is related to controls (spoilers just to be sure, I'm not sure if you figured the method yet even if you have the hints): it turns out that if you're playing on a keyboard, you cannot regulate thrust speed and it is always set to maximum. There is absolutely no reason for this, it forces you to play a first-person game on a controller and you won't know about it until you're very late in the game. Thankfully there's a mod now that does the evasion for you but that doesn't change the fact it's a mindbogglingly stupid decision.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Aug 15, 2020