Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Thanks for the playthrough! I have never played this game, and watching you two stumble through it was hilarious most of the time, and frustrating at times. Especially when you were making up crazy theories based primarily on pointedly ignoring just about all the information the game was not only throwing at you but also organizing neatly for you in a little diagram you basically treated as a checklist. I think you would have understood a lot more of the plot had you actually taken the time to read this info. I had to pause and rewind several times in order to read the helpful summaries you passed so quickly.

But hey, the Sammy and Scooby method of solving mysteries by bumbling forward paid off, so who am I to judge. Congratulations.

I still have questions about the story, but I think I’ll buy and play the game myself to get the answers unless someone answers them in the thread, since you never even bothered asking them.

• The Nomai created the ash twin project specifically to generate a 22 minute time loop. (it’s in one of the conversations) Why 22 minutes? Also, curious as they were, how did they manage to resist doing that thing that is mentioned in spoilers? It was my first thought and I’m not even that inquisitive.
  • Why does the shuttle cannon fire at the beginning of the game? Is it simply because the sun is about to go nova? Is it possible to catch it and get on board?
  • what was that probe, armored to withstand a nova, supposed to accomplish? What would have happened if they had succeeded?
  • what is that probe ship pointed at? What was it intended to fire at? And why? Were the Nomai still trying to get off this system?
  • Are projections current images of what goes on in other places? Can you get a scout to show up in one by dropping it at a scene and activating a projection of that place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Ok, this makes a lot of sense, and at the same time raises more questions.

The diagram of probe searches at the end that I couldn’t make sense of mentions more than a hundred thousand searches. Our intrepid adventurers didn’t lose quite that many lives. How did the other loops happen?

Since the project was abandoned hundreds of thousands of years before the events of the game and the probe was supposed to be manned, who is sending back the probe results?

With time rolling backwards to the same initial conditions every time, how did the probe not sample the same small chunk of space a hundred thousand times? Who pointed it at something else every time? edit: answered while I was typing.

Does this have anything to do with the third active mask? We know our protagonist and hammock meditator are aware of the loop, but who is time traveler number 3?

Also, if I’m understanding this correctly, the probe didn’t have to, and couldn’t, sample the entire universe in the time allotted. Just a small sphere around the solar system of radius 22 light minutes, at most. Which is fine anyway since the Nomai knew the eye was very close.

HerStuddMuffin fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 20, 2020

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Qrr posted:

Oh, the first loop is kind of goofy because they really didn't want the gameplay experience of "surprise supernova during the tutorial or like a minute after you start flying". But the timing shenanigans there must not be canon, there just wasn't a great way to handle it without potentially annoying first time players.

Yeah, I can accept that as a storytelling shortcut. It would have been more rigorous to have the loop start from the beginning, but it makes more gameplay sense to not make the player redo the tutorial from scratch until they can get through it in less than 22 minutes. There’s a lot of it and it takes a while apparently, between the hide and seek game to learn to use the transmitter, the drone landing training, and the zero g caverns, talking to everyone... wouldn’t want to end it with “you died” half a dozen times before the player gets frustrated and quits, not understanding why those crazy designers put a hard deadline on the tutorial level like that.

Up until the first supernova, the game looks so classic, complete with the starting village where everyone’s purpose in life is to explain game mechanics to you, it would have spoiled things to blow it up early.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Request: on your last video, could you showcase what happens when you end the loop on the quantum moon around the eye, having taken out the ashtwin core? You did it once but without the core and didn’t get blown up, but your consciousness faded as the ashtwin project triggered, id like to know what ending you get if you let the system get blown up without you. Presumably you could get back to the system after the shockwave has passed and get your ship back even, although there may not be planets for the moon to get back to.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Nice conclusion, too bad you never went back to the core of the interloper to show part to the end.