Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

There's a blink and you'll miss it moment at 21:01 in that video - sometimes quantum can be a little spooky.

As for navigating the cave, are the stalacgtmites quantum? That would explain the difficulty navigating, since they rarely went back to check dead ends again.

This game has so much stuff to find and really good signposting (sometimes literally) for a lot of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

resurgam40 posted:

Die really awfully too... for a game that technically isn't horror, they ticked a lot of boxes that are discomforting.

There's the planet where you can get crushed by sand, the planet where the slightest misstep will send you into a black hole (albeit a less lethal than usual one), the planet where you will occasionally be sent into space from ground level by tornadoes (also less lethal than usual), and pretty much everything about dark bramble. Plus air and the existential threat to your species. Oh, and that leap on the sun station. Definitely a lot of horror elements.

At least Ash Twin seems pretty safe (if you avoid the giant sand siphon). And Timber Hearth is lovely, though I died from fall damage there a surprising number of times, including during the tutorial. The Hearthians at least mostly have railings, while the Nomai just kind of expected you to walk around on the ceiling where jumping too high will make gravity remember you exist.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I was so excited when I met Schrodinger's Nomai - I did it a little accidentally, since I didn't know about the north pole thing but I knew about the rest and just kind of went to variations til it worked. It's a heck of a thing after reading so much about them and seeing so many bodies. It makes me wish this game had more ability to talk to people - you can tell someone about it and that's cool, but really it should be interesting to a whole lot of different Hearthians. And Solanum should actually be able to ask you questions but I suppose working that out from one-sided understanding would take a bit more than 22 minutes.

And that sure is a lot of probes launched.

Also, it doesn't let you select planets to pilot to while you're not, y'know, piloting. I think the only actual glitch you've run into is the translation one. And the ones with OBS, but that's hardly the fault of Outer Wilds.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 15, 2020

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Oh, cool, it still tells you what killed the Nomai even if you don't find out by going to the Interloper. They're not so generous with Solanum - if you don't solve the quantum moon, I don't think she shows up at the end.

I think you were generally pretty thorough on this game - you only missed a few things that I'd think of as main game. You didn't quite finish the Interloper, and you never went to the Black Hole Foundry but it just has some information that you figured out yourself (I had no idea how to warp to the Ash Twin Project until I got there because of course the Ash Twin teleporter will never line up with Ash Twin). And there were a few conversations with your buddies you could have had - Chert in particular has a character arc over 22 minutes because they, unlike everyone else, are actually paying attention to stars. And there's some Nomai stuff on Timber Hearth that you never saw.

There are also some hard to find but cool easter eggs around that legioN7 mentioned.

I very much enjoyed this game - it can be difficult to design a game where information is your only persistent resource, but they pulled it off, both with the stuff the main computer tracks and with little things like the shortcuts into the Sunless City and Hanging City.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

It makes perfect sense that the loops start at the campfire, and not at the mask. You have to reach the mask to pair, but after that you're part of the overall loop they have set up, and the loop definitely begins when you wake up because the probe fires at that time.

As for the probe not following the same trajectory every time, the probe launcher is getting information from the future. It could either use that to decide where not to send the probe, or just use it as part of its random number generator seed so that there's a different result each time.

And the total number of probes launched will always be probe number that found the eye + number of times you've reset the loop (and been aware of it). It's a little odd that it keeps launching probes after its found its target, but I guess the Nomai didn't automate turning it off, or from a Doylist perspective it's a cool visual to start every loop with that also gives you an obvious thing to investigate.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Reveilled posted:

The logic of the first loop breaks down if you think about it too much, the sun explodes 22 minutes after you reach the statue for the first time, but the probe cannon fires when you wake up, and it shouldn't be possible for both things to be true. You can spend as long as you like in the village, but the sun can't explode until you are paired with the statue.

Oh, the first loop is kind of goofy because they really didn't want the gameplay experience of "surprise supernova during the tutorial or like a minute after you start flying". But the timing shenanigans there must not be canon, there just wasn't a great way to handle it without potentially annoying first time players.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Reveilled posted:

Here's a link to the current shipless WR if anyone wants to see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp6rUF31Y30

That's really awesome, I hadn't thought about it but if the probe launcher obeys conservation of momentum and the recall doesn't then of course that's a way to gain speed without using fuel.

I'm kind of curious why they pause run time while resting at campfires - is it because that part of the game is dependent on cpu speed or something? It seems like it really incentivizes resting until you have the perfect planetary alignment.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Nice!

FYI, the third mask is for the Probe Tracking Module, so it can send the command to fire and the info about probes it's already fired back in time.

And Bitter Hollow was also my least favorite planet. It's so easy to lose so much time there by falling into the black hole. Really cool visually, but I got real tired of taking the portal from White Hole Station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

So there are a few other conversations you can have with your fellow astronauts. You can tell Gabbro about the Ash Twin Project - they realize that removing the core will end the time loop, but they're pretty chill about it, because they're pretty chill about everything. You can tell Riebeck that you talked to a living Nomai, and they're incredibly excited about it, but also even if the sun didn't explode they'd probably never follow in your footsteps because, y'know, space travel phobia.

And you can talk to Chert, who will have very different dialogue depending on when in the loop you talk to them. You talked to them early in the loop, when they notice that a lot of stars are going supernova. If you talk to them in the middle, they're very concerned. If you talk to them near the end, they're utterly terrified and mostly ignore your questions. And if you talk to them while End Times is playing, they've moved on to acceptance and they just want to hang out with you before everyone dies.

"How unlucky to have been born at the end of the universe."

Also, there's a shortcut to the Sunless City that I guess you forgot about. It doesn't really matter since you had no trouble with the escape pod maze and had to wait for sand anyway, but you can get into it from right behind the gravity cannon in a pile of rocks.