Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

SIGSEGV posted:

Even if they are, mines are also an excellent way of making the player's, and LPer's, brain to collapse into an aneurysm singularity, so perhaps it's best not to venture in that direction.

Yeah you can get very very micromanage heavy with them which is why I only tend to use them on extremely important systems like Sol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Can someone explain why mines are very micro-heavy? I keep hearing folks say that but I don't really understand why. Nor do I really know what mines are, so that doesn't help.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Shoeless posted:

Can someone explain why mines are very micro-heavy? I keep hearing folks say that but I don't really understand why. Nor do I really know what mines are, so that doesn't help.

Mines are stationary explosives that are planted in specific locations as traps for passing enemies, though they're generally frowned upon in the modern age because after a given war is over, nobody tends to go back and clean up all those mines so in certain regions of the world it's not uncommon to hear about innocent people, often children, running afoul of long-forgotten landmines from WWII or the like. In this context, they're basically guided missiles that lay dormant in space until they detect a vessel that isn't using our IFF codes within a certain range (presumably fairly close, otherwise they'd be eliminated by point defense weaponry), at which point they strike. I don't know how Aurora, specifically, handles them but generally space mines are designed to be very hard to detect until they've been set off. I assume the "micro-heavy" part involves having to replace and/or move them frequently.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Mines in Aurora are a kind of missile. One of the things you can do on a missile is put an active sensor on it so it can guide itself without needing a ship or switch targets if what it was going towards gets blown up. Another thing you can do is have multiple stages so that one big slow & fuel efficient rocket craps out a bunch of little fast ones when it gets close.

If you have a missile with an active sensor but no engine, it will just sit there, but once it sees an enemy ship come into the separation range for its 2nd stage, it can split off into missiles that do have engines+sensors+warheads that will go chase down the target.

The micro-heavy thing is that if you drop 1000 mines at one spot, then a single dinky scout comes into range, ever single mine will shoot itself off at it and massively overkill. To make that not happen, you have to move your launching fleet, click through a bunch of interface to drop a few mines, move the fleet, click through interface, move the fleet, ... so that their sensor ranges are staggered into layers.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

The micro-heavy thing is that if you drop 1000 mines at one spot, then a single dinky scout comes into range, ever single mine will shoot itself off at it and massively overkill. To make that not happen, you have to move your launching fleet, click through a bunch of interface to drop a few mines, move the fleet, click through interface, move the fleet, ... so that their sensor ranges are staggered into layers.

Ah okay, that explains it.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
They also have a lmited lifetime so you hae to keep doing it.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Innocent_Bystander posted:

They also have a lmited lifetime so you hae to keep doing it.

If you keep the waypoints, you can probably save the entire awful process as a macro now. Still not fun times though, and why are you playing a game if not fun times?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Shoeless posted:

I know, I am in fact proposing a (relatively small) megastructure to use as an extremely impractical superweapon.

This is a great plan except for the part where they're on opposite sides of us and so would have to go through us to get to one another. Other than that I like it.

But think of the fantastic view of the action as their colossal fleets rampage around SOL!

Think of the HoloNet ratings!

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
With all the retirees and in this scenario, surely a stop/loss needs to be put in place.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Mines really seem like something that should only be used if you're expecting a big ship or fleet to be moving through a point and you have a little while to set some up. Just having a permanent minefield seems kind of mind breaking on top of wasting ordinance.

Relatedly, I can't seem to find a way to load up all of my missile slots at once. So I drag each missile to the slot for every launch. Box launchers if it matters. But hey, now I am just going to build massive 2-stage missiles where the first stage is little more than a launch platform and all the normal missiles just take off from there. Hopefully that's how it'll work. Only dealing with a pair of size 30 launchers would save some headache.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Plek posted:

Mines really seem like something that should only be used if you're expecting a big ship or fleet to be moving through a point and you have a little while to set some up. Just having a permanent minefield seems kind of mind breaking on top of wasting ordinance.

Relatedly, I can't seem to find a way to load up all of my missile slots at once. So I drag each missile to the slot for every launch. Box launchers if it matters. But hey, now I am just going to build massive 2-stage missiles where the first stage is little more than a launch platform and all the normal missiles just take off from there. Hopefully that's how it'll work. Only dealing with a pair of size 30 launchers would save some headache.

If you just have one fire control with the Auto assign function do it for you? Sometimes its finicky though.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

1) Auto assign button will generally do okay
2) If the upper right "Assign All" checkbox is checked, dragging a weapon to a fire control or to unassigned will move all instances of it
3) Once you set up one ship, click the "Assign Fleet / Assign Sub Fleet / Assign System / Assign All (the button, not the checkbox)" will copy it to other ships in that grouping
4) The 2 stage thing should work. If you make the 1st stage empty & no engine + set to separate immediately, it should be no overhead besides spacemastering in the launcher+container missile.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

2) If the upper right "Assign All" checkbox is checked, dragging a weapon to a fire control or to unassigned will move all instances of it

I can't believe I've missed this little checkbox the entire time. This is super helpful!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

++++++++ Bonus Vote Results ++++++++

Do we authorize the Admiralty to conduct operations against the KPPP? Should B and C total more votes than A, but A has still won, we will count the C votes as Bs and conduct an unarmed raid.

B and C tie: Due to the tie, I will be conducting an armed raid into Kooken territory, and will fire upon their vessels, but will not attempt to deal massive amounts of damage. We just want info on their capabilities. Light damage won’t sink our relations with them much, but should they retaliate and enter our space I will not hesitate to hulk one of their vessels.

++++++++ End of Bonus Vote Results ++++++++

Ship contest to follow shortly

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

++++++++ Ship Contest ++++++++

We are refitting the Zeus, Artemis, and Gladius class vessels, so as to save their trained crews. We are desperately short on crew, a situation I will be correcting.

1. What design will we refit our Zeus class Gunboats into?

A. Lando131’s Zeus II – I’m preferring this design of the two Lando131 offered, as it has a bit less boxes to manage, while having the flexibility of offering some PD.

B. OddObserver’s Zeurs MNA Class Missile Destroyer

C. Zurai’s Thunderbolt class Missile Cruiser

2. What design will we refit our Artemis class Corvettes into?

A. OddObserver’s Artemis LE class Corvette

B. Foxfire_’s Hestia class Corvette, which also includes a design that can be produced new.

C. Zurai’s Oracle class Scout Frigate

3. What design will we refit or replace our Gladius class FACs into?

A. OddObserver’s Gladius E class, and Gladius II FACs.

code:

Gladius E class Fast Attack Craft 868 tons 39 Crew 119.7 BP TCS 17 TH 139 EM 0
8022 km/s Armour 1-8 Shields 0-0 HTK 5 Sensors 0/0/0/0 DCR 0 PPV 3
Maint Life 8.51 Years MSP 63 AFR 12% IFR 0.2% 1YR 2 5YR 23 Max Repair 23.2 MSP
Lieutenant Commander Control Rating 1
Intended Deployment Time: 6 days Morale Check Required

Kodo Turbines Nuclear Pulse Fighter Engine EP46.40 (3) Power 139.2 Fuel Use 840.36% Signature 46.4 Explosion 20%
Fuel Capacity 20,000 Litres Range 0.5 billion km (17 hours at full power)

Lazarev Kinetics 10cm Railgun V20/C1 (1x4) Range 16,000km TS: 8,022 km/s Power 3-1 RM 20,000 km ROF 15
Kodo Electronic Division Beam Fire Control R16-TS7000 (1) Max Range: 16,000 km TS: 7,000 km/s 38 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Lee-Park Improved Pressurised Water Reactor R1-PB20 (1) Total Power Output 1 Exp 10%

Lalbhai & Akkiyana Active Search Sensor AS14-R20 (1) GPS 360 Range 14.5m km Resolution 20

This design is classed as a Military Vessel for maintenance purposes

code:

Gladius II class Fast Attack Craft 984 tons 46 Crew 130.7 BP TCS 20 TH 139 EM 0
7076 km/s Armour 1-8 Shields 0-0 HTK 6 Sensors 0/0/0/0 DCR 0 PPV 5
Maint Life 7.17 Years MSP 61 AFR 15% IFR 0.2% 1YR 2 5YR 31 Max Repair 23.2 MSP
Lieutenant Commander Control Rating 1
Intended Deployment Time: 6 days Morale Check Required

Kodo Turbines Nuclear Pulse Fighter Engine EP46.40 (3) Power 139.2 Fuel Use 840.36% Signature 46.4 Explosion 20%
Fuel Capacity 20,000 Litres Range 0.4 billion km (17 hours at full power)

Poseidon-Hyperion 12cm Railgun V20/C2 (1x4) Range 16,000km TS: 7,076 km/s Power 6-2 RM 20,000 km ROF 15
Kodo Electronic Division Beam Fire Control R16-TS7000 (1) Max Range: 16,000 km TS: 7,000 km/s 38 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Lee-Park Improved Pressurised Water Reactor R1-PB20 (2) Total Power Output 2 Exp 10%

Lalbhai & Akkiyana Active Search Sensor AS14-R20 (1) GPS 360 Range 14.5m km Resolution 20

B. Kodos666’s Gladius SEP FAC strike group

code:
Gladius - SEP class Fast Attack Craft      987 tons       33 Crew       114.2 BP       TCS 20    TH 93    EM 0
4705 km/s      Armour 1-8       Shields 0-0       HTK 7      Sensors 6/0/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 6.6
Maint Life 8.52 Years     MSP 56    AFR 16%    IFR 0.2%    1YR 1    5YR 21    Max Repair 23.2 MSP
Magazine 24    
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 6 days    Morale Check Required    

Kodo Turbines Nuclear Pulse Fighter Engine  EP46.40 (2)    Power 92.8    Fuel Use 840.36%    Signature 46.4    Explosion 20%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 2.2 billion km (5 days at full power)

Lazarev Kinetics 10cm Railgun V20/C1 (1x4)    Range 16,000km     TS: 4,705 km/s     Power 3-1     RM 20,000 km    ROF 15       
Fröhlichmann & Mann Beam Fire Control R16-TS4000 (1)     Max Range: 16,000 km   TS: 4,000 km/s     38 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Lee-Park Improved Pressurised Water Reactor R1-PB20 (1)     Total Power Output 1    Exp 10%

Size 4.0 Box Launcher (6)     Missile Size: 4    Hangar Reload 100 minutes    MF Reload 16 hours
Foxfire Electronics Missile Fire Control FC27-R20 (1)     Range 27.1m km    Resolution 20
Macrotis Anti-Ship Missile (5)    Speed: 16,100 km/s    End: 24.9m     Range: 24.1m km    WH: 4    Size: 4    TH: 53/32/16

Commercial Thermal Sensor TH1.0-6.0 (1)     Sensitivity 6     Detect Sig Strength 1000:  19.4m km

Missile to hit chances are vs targets moving at 3000 km/s, 5000 km/s and 10,000 km/s

code:
Gladius - Sensor -SEP class Fast Attack Craft      978 tons       34 Crew       185.7 BP       TCS 20    TH 93    EM 0
4747 km/s      Armour 1-8       Shields 0-0       HTK 5      Sensors 0/0/0/0      DCR 0      PPV 0
Maint Life 1.24 Years     MSP 29    AFR 31%    IFR 0.4%    1YR 20    5YR 294    Max Repair 120 MSP
Lieutenant Commander    Control Rating 1   
Intended Deployment Time: 6 days    Morale Check Required    

Kodo Turbines Nuclear Pulse Fighter Engine  EP46.40 (2)    Power 92.8    Fuel Use 840.36%    Signature 46.4    Explosion 20%
Fuel Capacity 100,000 Litres    Range 2.2 billion km (5 days at full power)

Saleh Warning & Control Active Search Sensor AS50-R50 (1)     GPS 6000     Range 50.9m km    Resolution 50

C. Foxfire_’s Shiv FAC strike group

D. Zurai’s Elan class FAC

++++++++ End of Ship Contest ++++++++

Thanks to everyone for being patient while I sort out real life stuff! I’m really enjoying the LP so far, and I hope you are too. Hopefully we get some exciting battles soon, and hopefully we survive!

Also once the Zeus refits are done I will be putting through the military tanker, unless there are any objections?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Virtual Russian posted:

B and C tie: Due to the tie, I will be conducting an armed raid into Kooken territory, and will fire upon their vessels, but will not attempt to deal massive amounts of damage. We just want info on their capabilities. Light damage won’t sink our relations with them much, but should they retaliate and enter our space I will not hesitate to hulk one of their vessels.

Woo! Hell yeah! Put me on one of the ships! I wanna frag some aliens!

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Thanks for the advice on the missile controls y'all. I haven't had a lot of luck with the auto-assign working but maybe it just doesn't like my tiny missiles. Either way I need to fiddle with it more.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I vote let these outdated ships remain as they are and stay in back-line garrison rolls; do not refit them at all. Spend those resources on new, modern ships instead, or maybe on a new military academy.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Shoeless posted:

I vote let these outdated ships remain as they are and stay in back-line garrison rolls; do not refit them at all. Spend those resources on new, modern ships instead, or maybe on a new military academy.

Wealth and resources aren't really our problem, and I've got academies lined up. If we build new ships they will be below grade as we lack the crew to man them. We'll be building new ships again before you know it.

Refitting is going to happen a lot, especially as our crews get even more experienced.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/FBZPEco.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/QsnTug7.mp4

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
:golfclap:

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

C. Zurai’s Thunderbolt class Missile Cruiser

A. OddObserver’s Artemis LE class Corvette

My votes.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Virtual Russian posted:

A. Lando131’s Zeus II – I’m preferring this design of the two Lando131 offered, as it has a bit less boxes to manage, while having the flexibility of offering some PD.

My votes. I didn't want to vote straight down the board on my designs. The Elan is the only beam FAC that has the armor to fulfill its role and the fleet badly needs a scout vessel with the Oracle being the only choice for that position. That left me abandoning my Thunderbolt, and I liked Lando's Zeus-refit a little better despite it being a little slower. It has a hellacious initial punch and it can provide PD cover to our missile ships. OddObserver's Zeus MNA has too few missile tubes and too many reloads given the reload times of the launchers.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

Wealth and resources aren't really our problem, and I've got academies lined up. If we build new ships they will be below grade as we lack the crew to man them. We'll be building new ships again before you know it.

Refitting is going to happen a lot, especially as our crews get even more experienced.

Well, if you say so. I still think those slipways would be better putting those months of work towards new modern ships instead of refitting old ones but...

A
C
D

Malick23
Sep 10, 2001
I bought all my friends forum accounts and all I got was this lousy custom title
A
C
D

We need the sensors on the scout frigate. Hopefully we can start active patrols near the bug worlds.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Amazing, thanks!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Ship thoughts:

Zeus slot
Zeus II:
-Decent throw weight, modest armor, a bit slow.
- No self-spotting.
-I still think PD turrets are for winning harder instead of winning at all (applies to other ships too)

Zeus MNA:
-This is kind of like both a more and less extreme Bomb Truck. Less extreme in that it has some armor, more extreme in that it goes even harder on trickling out a very large total number of missiles. It has a short fire control range.
-This seems like an anti-beamship ship.

Thunderbolt:
- This is a garrison ship instead of a fleet ship like the other two. 2.5 years deployment time, more reliable than the II and much more reliable than the MNA (don't be fooled by maintenance clocks, look at the IFRs or 1YR/5YR supply consumption). - To get that, it's traded away some speed/ammo but is otherwise middle of the road between them

Artemis Slot
3 completely different fleet roles!

Artemis LE:
- The PD fire control is a tech shrink going from 100 tons to 68 tons. It's still bad because our gauss tech is bad. If we're remaking a PD FC, it should have more range so the accuracy isn't so bad
- It uses the old engine, so it's fuel hungry. Probably limited to system defense
- It's dependent on there not being a major missile threat. If you can throw a few dozen missiles at it, it'll probably die before getting in range

Hestia:
- It's a jump point garrison. It doesn't have the armor to close with a missile ship in open space.
- It uses the old engine, so it's fuel hungry. It's supposed to sit still for its entire tour once positioned
- I haven't been looking at refit costs since they're hard to pull up, but these were cheap

Oracle:
- Scout/Spotter. We are short on both of these. I would like them better if they were different ships though. We can't really make stealthy scouts since we don't have emissions reduction tech, but they can do a little better by cutting all the noisy active sensor mass.
- Also uses the old engine. Cruising around with this will get fuel expensive

Gladius Slot
Gladius E / Gladius II
- I don't think these can actually successfully engage anything armed, but don't have the range I'd want in a freighter raider.

They can't shoot till point-blank, so they would need to (1) dodge all antiship missiles [being small will cut targeting range, but that will reduce things to low millions, not 10000], (2) dodge all antimissile missiles, (3) dodge all long range beam fire, (4) shoot back while dodging all point defense fire. Pretty much any hit will go to internal damage

Gladius SEP
- The railgun has the same problems as the E / II when fighting anything armed. It has missiles though, so would only need the railgun for finishing off crippled or commercial ships.
- With the range/deployment time + our lack of carriers, it's pretty much a single 6-shot missile launcher that can be parked over a colony to shoot at an approaching fleet. I'd prefer to defend further away, 1.1bkm is close.

Shiv
- Like a SEP, except with range/deployment to be a single-shot launcher far away from a colony. Gives up the railgun and needs research to do it.
- You could tanker these to move them around, but they're still thirsty and you'd have to bring a tanker/oiler on long raids

Elan
- Has some armor and doesn't need to sit in the 10000km PD death zone to shoot
- 400mkm round-trip range is really short, so if these see action, we've probably lost a fleet battle and they're sallying forth in a doomed last stand for a colony, which is admittedly pretty elan

My votes

Virtual Russian posted:

C. Foxfire_’s Shiv FAC strike group

Basically going for a offense-is-the-best defense fleet over garrison ships. Also a fleet that hits together as a deathball instead of being strung out across garrison points.

Virtual Russian posted:

Also once the Zeus refits are done I will be putting through the military tanker, unless there are any objections?

Chop the speed on it down to 4000km/s and cut the size to whatever makes that with one of the good engines? Tanker doesn't get much big-ship efficiency to be worth paying the big ship maintenance penalty.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I always forget to add the time frame, I'll let the vote run another 24 hours. Ending it when I get home from my last shift at my crappy job.

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
Zeus
A

There are three Missile-cruisers to choose from. I take the one with the biggest alpha-strike. This might help with softening up a Kook capitalship.

Artemis
C

The Oracle fills a crucial role in our order of battle. We need to know what we are going to shoot/run away from.

Gladius
C

Sorry, the shiv does what my design was supposed to do, but better in basically every way.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
A.
C.
C.

Thanks for all submissons! :)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kodos666 posted:

Zeus
A

There are three Missile-cruisers to choose from. I take the one with the biggest alpha-strike. This might help with softening up a Kook capitalship.

Artemis
C

The Oracle fills a crucial role in our order of battle. We need to know what we are going to shoot/run away from.

Gladius
C

Sorry, the shiv does what my design was supposed to do, but better in basically every way.

I like this too.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Virtual Russian posted:

Ending it when I get home from my last shift at my crappy job.

:comfort:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I got my days mixed up, last shift is tomorrow, then I end the vote.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

A
C
D

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
C
B
D
:weed:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

++++++++ Ship Contest Results ++++++++

We are refitting the Zeus, Artemis, and Gladius class vessels, so as to save their trained crews. We are desperately short on crew, a situation I will be correcting.

A. Lando131’s Zeus II

++++++++ End of Ship Contest Results ++++++++

Those are the winners, I'll get working on the update right away, which will include a raid. I'll do my best to get one last update out before the move, during which I'll be taking a two week hiatus. I'll be starting the job before I have a place for my stuff, including my computer, and won't be able to do much.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
So the size of our fleet is less limited by resources and more by available crews + shipyards? Or is there a hard fleet size limit?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

There's no limit other than what you can afford to produce, maintain, and staff.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

You need maintenance berths to park your ships in, enough fuel and spare parts production to keep them flying, enough resources to build them, enough crew to fly them, and ideally enough officers to command them (not strictly necessary just very helpful) but there's no hard caps. If you can pull together the resources to do all those things, you can have as many ships as you want. You don't even strictly need trained academy crew, you have an infinite pool of conscript crew, they're just dogshit in a fight compared to real spacers.

E: Beaten, but yeah, whatever you can afford you can have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Wait wait wait wait wait. We have a limitless supply of cheap conscripts? Why didn't anyone tell me that?! That solves our problems completely! All we need to do is get a shipyard or spaceport close enough to an enemy homeworld, then we just rapidly pull in conscripts to a ship in that port, offload them into the pool, and hire even more. Once we have enough, we can just crush the enemy in a land battle with sheer numbers. Literally, we won't even need a dropship, just coat the planet entirely with bodies!