Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
FMB is loving incredible and some of their consistently best live songs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I come back weekly to that one live-version of Nuclear Fusion on yt with Joey in the thumbnail.

Nuuuuuclear Fusioioioioioiooion-ah!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Cached Money posted:

The best album is flying microtonal banana don't @ me
That or Ice Death Planets.

Love it’s “swing for the fences on a $200 budget” vibe. Love that it’s tracklist weirdly mirrors Remain In Light (Side A are three dense polyrhythmic tracks, Side B are traditional radio friendly tracks), love that the first song basically gatekeeps the listener from the rest of the album. You gotta dig the snake before you discover how fuckin’ good Melting and Sleep Drifter are.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

heard Theia on the local college radio, which reminded me that their new album is out this Friday let's gooooooo

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

My favorite is Polygondwanaland. Was hoping silver chord would be in that vein, but b3k style is cool too.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

:siren: Silver Cord is live on Bootcamp right now! :siren:

e: this poo poo slaps hard

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 26, 2023

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Yep just finished the standard edition. Back half is stronger. Got halfway through extended Theia earlier… not what I expected but in a good way. This tickles the part of my brain that loves music when I’m stoned. Could see it getting into my rotation at the same clip as Sketches (which is a ton)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I am so excited for what I am about to hear.

edit: standard album was very good. I'm coming up on the end of extended Theia and I'm pretty sure this is where the good poo poo is.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 26, 2023

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

So fuckin' Gilgamesh, eh?

Just getting ready to crack in to the extended cuts, curious to see where a lot of these end up going when they're given that much more room to breathe.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
not sure how much I wanna get into this band exactly but yea I like what I'm hearing

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
The extended version is my definitive version.

This is so good.

JAMOOOL posted:

not sure how much I wanna get into this band exactly but yea I like what I'm hearing
:getin:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Finally getting some free time today to dig into the extended version. Holy poo poo this rules.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

They made the extended version and then another version I may never listen to again.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

i am a moron posted:

They made the extended version and then another version I may never listen to again.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Holy poo poo the Motor Spirit reference in the Theia extended version caught me by surprise and owns so much

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

There a bunch of PDA references

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

The extended cut is definitely hanging out at home doing other things music. The edit is probably what I’ll play in the car, feels like good driving music.

The extended cut is by and far the superior version though, Jesus Christ.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Loving the two version format

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This album is getting better each time I listen to it. Just like so many of their other albums.

Imagine being like “let’s try some electronic music” and then releasing an album that stands triumphant in the genre.

God drat I love it. Also the at-home / in-the-car take is awesome and I wouldn’t have thought of that! Gonna revisit the short versions while I run errands in the morning.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

I dunno if it stands triumphant cause I’m not familiar with any genres they’re aping here. It’s loving pure Gizz though and feeling like a top five album for me. My top three are Mind Fuzz/Nonagon/Ice Death so I’m definitely into their psych rock/jammy sounds. Would not have guessed this is how it turned out after Made in Timeland and BF3k. Even looking back at another fave of mine in Sketches there was a lot of synth if I recall and still… this is something incredibly new for them and a huge departure. Hope the metal heads who are poo pooing it on Reddit give it a chance!

Interested to see if we hear any of it live next year, they have enough of a catalog of this kinda stuff now where maybe it would make more sense to have stretches of more synth? Noticed at Caverns N3 last year they played all the microtonal stuff together

Weedle
May 31, 2006

happy silver cord/1989 taylor's version day. i am being synthesized

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Decided to listen to FAYFL as a palette cleanser before I listen to this again for the third time. It’s bonkers what this band has done in ten years. It’s all their sound somehow but entirely different depending on what they’re trying to do. When they are cohering around a strong theme it’s just… my favorite music. I’m seeing the marathon set in Chicago next year and going to as many shows as I can. I’ve spent an ungodly amount on them. Compared to other artists who were lucky if I bought a CD at some point. Extremely glad Gizz exists, not sure I would’ve experienced true musical fandom at any point if they weren’t doing their thing

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

i am a moron posted:

There a bunch of PDA references

Finally got around to listening to the rest of the extendo versions and hell yeah, this version of the album is a great companion to PDA. I think it conceptually and musically works a lot better in its extended format, but the shorter versions are nice to have for a quick fix while driving or whatever. Extended is the definitive version for me.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

I’m only halfway through the extended tracks and have only listened to the regular back half once so far but I think these extended versions will be all I’m bumping for a minute. They’re interesting as hell.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Good band!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Extended Gilgamesh might be one of their best songs ever

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

i am a moron posted:

Extended Gilgamesh might be one of their best songs ever

I’m listening to that right now and have been having similar thoughts. Though to be fair I’ve had thoughts like that about every one of the extended cuts today

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
What some fan needs to do is make a megamix that has each PetroDragonic song segueing into it’s respective extended Silver Cord counterpart.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllllgamesh!

This album gets better every listen. I'm still trying to figure out the "plot" of it, and how it ties into PDA.

The first bit deals with Theia crashing into Earth, and severing the connection with the divine (Theia, The Silver Cord). Then there are several songs about ancient mythology (Set, Chang'e, Gilgamesh). But I'm still figuring out how Swan Song and Extinction fit in, and how these are all connected to each other, and to PDA.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

e: whoops, thought I was in the vinyl thread

Supposed to get my copies today, can't wait to check out that locked groove / hidden track.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
Tour announcement tomorrow. Kinda figured this out last week but I'm happy to once again be right about some random thing

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Please do another Cleveland/Columbus/Pittsburgh/Detroit swing please oh please oh please Chicago won’t be enough and I don’t think I can swing Asheville

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Please Red Rocks so I can see the show from reasonably close without getting destroyed

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm in the middle of a 27-hour series of flights... If I miss out because I didn't pay for the in-flight wifi I'm gonna lose it

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Pre-sale starts tomorrow, haven't seen any codes yet. Def getting tix for Omaha at least. I really want to do the run from Chicago through Red Rocks, but I think my wife would kill me.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Welp looks like Detroit/The Cleve/Newport one weekend and Chicago the next for me. Gonna be the best summer ever

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Did the pre-sale end? I'm not seeing a place to enter the code for Asheville, and Atlanta is not giving me a purchase option after I enter the code.

E: I think... maybe it hasn't actually started

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 8, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Can someone PM me the code? Dunno why but Gizzymail has stopped coming my way, last one I got was June 2022 :cry:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The code is spacesick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The code is spacesick

:cheers: