Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

It also depends a bit on what you like in particular and what direction you'd like to go when it comes to your normal tastes:

Something heavier? Murder of the Universe is a pretty good pick.
Full blown 80s thrash? Infest the Rats Nest
Proggier? Polygondwanaland
Mellow? Paper Mache Dream Balloon or Fishing for Fishies
Weirder? Any of the microtonal records might just be your thing (KG/LW/Microtonal Banana)
Jazzier? Sketches of Brunswick East
Little bit of everything? Gumboot or Omnium Gatherum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Vegastar posted:

Jazzier? Sketches of Brunswick East

This album is one of my favorites for sure. Rolling Stoned, Tezeta, A Journey to (S)Hell... good poo poo

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

What would the weirdest genre Gizz could make an album in the style of?

My vote goes to... 60s crooner ballads

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

JohnnyQPublic posted:

So I finally took the plunge into King Grizzard's MASSIVE discography. Someone recomended I'm In Your Mind Fuzz as a starting point. I dug it and followed it up with Nonagon Infinity. Good stuff, where would you lot suggest I go next?
just keep going in sequential order imo. flying microtonal banana is next and my favorite album of theirs, and the the first half retains that dense jammy style of NI, and after that is murder of the universe, which is said by the band to be a spirtual successor to NI (except it's an audiobook.) and then... yeah, keep going. they like to mix things up and there's no "lull period" except for maybe KG & LW.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

JohnnyQPublic posted:

So I finally took the plunge into King Grizzard's MASSIVE discography. Someone recomended I'm In Your Mind Fuzz as a starting point. I dug it and followed it up with Nonagon Infinity. Good stuff, where would you lot suggest I go next?

Their stuff before I'm In Your Mind Fuzz is fantastic:

Oddments
Float Along - Fill Your Lungs (One of their best of all time)
Eyes Like the Sky
12 Bar Bruise
Willoughby's Beach
Anglesea

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Automata 10 Pack posted:

they like to mix things up and there's no "lull period" except for maybe KG & LW.

wtf

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
O.N.E. might be their best individual song

fucker scorches im actually listening to it right now in honor of LW

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

i am a moron posted:

O.N.E. might be their best individual song

fucker scorches im actually listening to it right now in honor of LW

I think Static Electricity is my favorite off LW. All the instrumentation in that track is so weird in the best possible way.

Now you've got me thinking about a single favorite track all-time and man is that a tough one.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Yea I guess I meant my favorite not best before anyone thinks I don't realize a band with eighty billion songs will generate a lot of subjective opinions :) probably some recency bias for me too

Seeing them live this weekend and my company randomly has an account at the venue and gifted me four free box seats so I can resell the ones we bought. I feel like a kid waiting for christmas

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

Seeing King Gizzard live was a loving experience, holy poo poo. The energy in the crowd was nuts, and they just tore the loving roof off this place. Metaphorically anyways since it was outdoors. Just incredible, what a loving band

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

King Gizz and NIN are both at Boston Calling this year and it just had to be in the middle of a pandemic :negative:

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Pollyanna posted:

King Gizz and NIN are both at Boston Calling this year and it just had to be in the middle of a pandemic :negative:

i had already bought tickets to see them at forest hills stadium before they announced that they'd be at boston calling. hopefully we will be less pandemic-y in october but who the gently caress knows at this point

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I got a ticket anyway. I’ll die a horrible death but at least it’ll be rad

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pollyanna posted:

I got a ticket anyway. I’ll die a horrible death but at least it’ll be rad

https://twitter.com/kinggizzard/status/1530655303401881605?s=21&t=UU3ENwga2efXycN2VDhM_Q

https://youtu.be/NIgfiSzCy1o

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Lmao. Some time-traveller had to stop you from going to that show and getting covid. What do you have planned for the future? Must be something important.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh no I went anyway cause NIN were playing both nights :haw:

Pity about KG. Maybe I’ll make a trip out of one of their next concerts.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Oh no!/Lmao.

(If you're not a guitar-person, Gibsons break really easily right there. No, they cant change the design. Boomers won't like it.)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Dang that's rough. Rough tour for them, first losing Cavs for some shows, and now this.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Oh no! Not the holy Explorer!

Hopefully it's repairable.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Ironically, they say the neck is stronger after a repair.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Vegastar posted:

It also depends a bit on what you like in particular and what direction you'd like to go when it comes to your normal tastes:
Full blown 80s thrash? Infest the Rats Nest

except for the part where it doesn't actually sound like 80s thrash i guess

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Pondex posted:

Oh no!/Lmao.

(If you're not a guitar-person, Gibsons break really easily right there. No, they cant change the design. Boomers won't like it.)

Funny story, I used to own that Flying V. I bought it as a senior in high school and, while it was cool, it mostly gathered dust because it was a pain in the rear end to play (the form factor is surprisingly annoying if you're sitting down). I eventually sold it on commission through Main Drag Music in Brooklyn, and when I visited the store later they told me that King Gizzard was the band who picked it up! Sad to see it busted, but happy that it actually got played by a real band rather than just sitting in my apartment lol

edit: was able to dig up an old pic (from 2008!). Please don't mock my Peavey amp

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 6, 2022

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Polo-Rican posted:

Funny story, I used to own that Flying V. I bought it as a senior in high school and, while it was cool, it mostly gathered dust because it was a pain in the rear end to play (the form factor is surprisingly annoying if you're sitting down). I eventually sold it on commission through Main Drag Music in Brooklyn, and when I visited the store later they told me that King Gizzard was the band who picked it up! Sad to see it busted, but happy that it actually got played by a real band rather than just sitting in my apartment lol

edit: was able to dig up an old pic (from 2008!). Please don't mock my Peavey amp

:eyepop:

That’s awesome!

My first guitar was a Gibson V2, and I liked playing it sitting down because the v fit around my leg well, classical style I guess

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Holy Explorer/Flying V got caught in a freight lift. Stu says neither are reparable. Stu is now rocking a Dimebag Darrell model with the price tag still on it:

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I caught the Millvale (Philly) & two Burlington shows last month, truly incredible experiences. I caught them twice in 2019 but have only fallen further down the Gizz rabbit hole since then, and these were really small venues comparatively (both venues in 2019 were 5,000 capacity, these ones were around 750). Such an incredible band live, gotta see 'em if you have the chance. The October shows are generally larger but I'm still planning to hit up a number of them.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/kinggizzard/status/1537843296910852096

loving madmen I tell you.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Good lord.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

hahaha

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Light year this year it looks like. Bummer

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:laffo: I’m listening to Intrasport for the first time and somehow I did not expect this kind of music out of KG.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Two more Demo Albums just released!

https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/demos-vol-3-vol-4

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Mad lads.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

I want finished versions of Flying Fishie and Uncolonize ASAP, hot drat. I hope those end up getting used somewhere.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

so i saw these fuckers live and now i haven't listened to anything but the gizz for like three months. i also bought three shirts off their merch store (i listen to colorful records, the one with the lizard wizard looking like a koopa troopa, and the sketches of brunswick shirt with red rings on the arms/neck). it was like a religious experience. i've run through their entire catalog multiple times and eyes like the sky is being blasted constantly. is something wrong with me?

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

i am a moron posted:

so i saw these fuckers live and now i haven't listened to anything but the gizz for like three months. i also bought three shirts off their merch store (i listen to colorful records, the one with the lizard wizard looking like a koopa troopa, and the sketches of brunswick shirt with red rings on the arms/neck). it was like a religious experience. i've run through their entire catalog multiple times and eyes like the sky is being blasted constantly. is something wrong with me?

This is just the natural post-gig experience for Gizz, to be honest.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Any of you seen that latest instgram-post? Are they doing an album called Black Midi or is it a Black Midi-collab? Coz that could be interesting.

e: Nah, I'm a dumbass. It's just a gig-poster

Pondex fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 27, 2022

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Pondex posted:

Any of you seen that latest instgram-post? Are they doing an album called Black Midi or is it a Black Midi-collab? Coz that could be interesting.

e: Nah, I'm a dumbass. It's just a gig-poster

Yeah Black Midi are opening for them. Should be a pretty crazy show.

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Harminoff posted:

Yeah Black Midi are opening for them. Should be a pretty crazy show.

i saw them a couple of weeks ago and they fuckin killed it. it's hard to imagine them opening for anyone else because they're already so good, but drat i'm glad i'll get to see them again (knock on wood)

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cg5T08cv5A6/?hl=en

get well Stuun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

It's amazing he hasn't had a flare-up earlier, with that insane work-ethic of his.