Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stooge
Aug 27, 2018

Twitch orders US Army to stop tricking viewers into recruitment with fake giveaways

Interested to see the other wacky harebrained recruitment ideas the Army rejected before settling on this one.

Maybe a playstation left as bait under a box propped up with a stick would have been more effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

its almost like if you have to trick people into doing it, its not good.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I was thinking the other day that a cool movie idea would be that the US army releases a video game and people think it's just a game but really these kids are guiding drones to bomb targets in Pakistan because AI still can't reliably differentiate between a wedding and a training camp. That's already a movie isn't it?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I was thinking the other day that a cool movie idea would be that the US army releases a video game and people think it's just a game but really these kids are guiding drones to bomb targets in Pakistan because AI still can't reliably differentiate between a wedding and a training camp. That's already a movie isn't it?

Of course that would ignore trolls who'd teamkill US soldiers and random civilians and hackers who would fly the drones through the planet and delete all the NPCs.

Include that and the creeping dread as the military realizes many people are actually assholes in games and I would watch that movie.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I read an article this morning about the ACLU maybe suing the army e sports team for banning people from their twitch stream (for talking about war crimes lol) under first amendment protections

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

That's just Ender's Game, but without the weird bugs.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
This isn't that new. A Marine recruiter talked my mom into forging my name onto a form so they could give her a free shirt.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Remember America's Army - the videogame? That whole thing was a loving trip.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I've been re-reading a lot of comic books from the early 2000s and it's insane how many Army ads are in there. And they're all like "You want to be a REAL SUPERHERO? Sign up for the ARMY today!"

Didn't they also try to promote the Army as a good way to catch everything in Pokémon Go? Or did I get tricked by a fake ad?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Yvan eht nioj!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The army should recruit from the ranks of the most brain damaged MMO raiders

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
does this mean the us army has an onlyfans???

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

You mean the tax payers

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Jeza posted:

Yeah I remember this. I was like 12 when it came out and I was scared to play it because I thought that by downloading it you were contractually obligated to join the army

Stooge
Aug 27, 2018

Chrs posted:

Yeah I remember this. I was like 12 when it came out and I was scared to play it because I thought that by downloading it you were contractually obligated to join the army

The digital equivalent of taking the Queen's shilling.

Supposedly, tankards had glass bottoms so people could see if recruiters had dropped a coin in their beer. By accepting and drinking from the coin beer, you were agreeing to join the royal navy.

According to a reputable academic source (Wikipedia) this is bollocks because recruiters could force you to sign up without deception. I hope you had as much fun reading this myth as I did typing it out.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Jeza posted:

It was a really good game, at least up until patch 2.8.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Stooge posted:

The digital equivalent of taking the Queen's shilling.

Supposedly, tankards had glass bottoms so people could see if recruiters had dropped a coin in their beer. By accepting and drinking from the coin beer, you were agreeing to join the royal navy.

According to a reputable academic source (Wikipedia) this is bollocks because recruiters could force you to sign up without deception. I hope you had as much fun reading this myth as I did typing it out.

Yeah they'd just beat the poo poo out of you until you "joined"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

What happened to the time honored tradition of shanghaiing sailors

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Just get em drunk and they wake up on a ship 20 miles from shore lmao

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Aren't fake giveaways insanely illegal? Like aren't they bound by strict game show laws? Hell even giveaways from cereal boxes always had to have an option where you could apply even without buying the product. Like cereal boxes always had some address you could write to to enter without buying anything ; that's how strict the laws are. How do they get away with this poo poo?

Also

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
If you have nothing to hide why worry about it? Don’t you want to be an FBI SPECIAL AGENT?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Gotta give them those free controllers so they're used to them before joining Drone Force Alpha and immediately blow up weddings in countries with GDP's smaller than Dr. Disrespect's donations last month.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Slotducks posted:

Gotta give them those free controllers so they're used to them before joining Drone Force Alpha and immediately blow up weddings in countries with GDP's smaller than Dr. Disrespect's donations last month.

Oh they were actually giving out prizes?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Never before has someone's K:D ratio been so important to their stream's success.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
my favorite thing in America's Army was shooting the drill instructor right in the dick and then i think itd play a sweet harmonica solo and show you chillin at Leavenworth

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

20 Blunts posted:

my favorite thing in America's Army was shooting the drill instructor right in the dick and then i think itd play a sweet harmonica solo and show you chillin at Leavenworth

lmao, i remember that

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Sarge I can't get the hang of this Drone Controller - I'm a Playstation only kind of guy - you've handed me a shitbox360 controller I can't do it.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

At least when the gamers sign up they won't immediately blow their sign up bonus on a 2020 Camaro with 24.99% APR financing

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Nah it'll be anime body pillows and gamer chairs

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

US Army: Where the 7 killstreak reward is PTSD

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Slotducks posted:

At least when the gamers sign up they won't immediately blow their sign up bonus on a 2020 Camaro with 24.99% APR financing

No stripper girlfriend though, which may help or hurt with cash.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Can you use gamer words after losing every conflict you initiate after you are enlisted?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

*tbags a corpse*
*rocketjumps to 2nd floor*

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

God this movie sucked

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Aren't fake giveaways insanely illegal? Like aren't they bound by strict game show laws? Hell even giveaways from cereal boxes always had to have an option where you could apply even without buying the product. Like cereal boxes always had some address you could write to to enter without buying anything ; that's how strict the laws are. How do they get away with this poo poo?

Also

is it possible to install a virus on your phone that "activates" when its cloned to another computer?

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

It's also pretty much the plot of Toys starring Robin Williams

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Shinjobi posted:

God this movie sucked

It's the worst rated movie of 2019 lol

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

I wonder if any really stupid people have filled out the recruitment form thinking it's a contest entry, and if they'll be thrown into a military prison if they refuse to serve.

Deki posted:

This isn't that new. A Marine recruiter talked my mom into forging my name onto a form so they could give her a free shirt.

So for how many years were you in the Marines?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

BigBadSteve posted:

I wonder if any really stupid people have filled out the recruitment form thinking it's a contest entry, and if they'll be thrown into a military prison if they refuse to serve.

So for how many years were you in the Marines?

oh theres a sweepstakes? ive never won anything before but i did guess the correct amount of jellybeans in a jar (568) when i was 9 at a halloween party. wish me luck goons