Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

dang I have decades of photos to put in this thread

arches nat't park

outside Arches nat'l park

badlands nat'l park

The "bean" sculpture in downtown Chicago, by the river

Dinosaur nat'l monument, "sound of silence" trail

Goblins state park, Utah

Grand canyon nat'l park, north rim

Little Bear Lake, outside Yellowstone

Mendocino, CA

On a trail near Mendocino

Mt. Jefferson (right, background) as seen from nearby nat'l forest land, 1 day before the eclipse

Navajo Nat'l monument

Japanese garden, Portland OR

A little city park near the shoreline, Providence RI

Yellowstone nat'l park

Zion nat'l park

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mayveena posted:

For those of us downloading on a data plan, please use timg instead of img, thanks.

timg resizes on the screen, but you still download the whole image so it uses just as much data.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah TIMG is just using style on the page to set an image display size. The full image is downloaded.

HOWEVER

Imgur has secrets! You can take an Imgur image URL and append a letter to the filename, and it'll download a resized version of the image.

For example:
Here's an image I posted earlier.
code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/tHc2vxz.jpg[/img]
If I append an "m" to the filename, like so:
code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/tHc2vxzm.jpg[/img]
it downloads only a "medium" sized version:

I can also use an l for large, h for huge, etc., and I can combine it with TIMG:

code:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/tHc2vxzh.jpg[/timg]

So you can simulaneously show clickable thumbnails, and limit the maximum size of the image. That's a nice thing to do in normal threads. This is what each one specifically does:

s = Small Square (90px square)
b = Big Square (160px square)
t = Small Thumbnail (160px on one dimension)
m = Medium Thumbnail (320px on one dimension)
l = Large Thumbnail (640px on one dimension)
h = Huge Thumbnail (1024px on one dimension)

Those last four definitely preserve aspect ratio. The first two force a square, like this (s used here):

That said: this is a photo-posting thread specifically for photos, and in my opinion it's reasonable to expect folks want to see the full image size maybe? 1024 is quite small on my monitor, I want to be able to see people's 8k pixel wide photos.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 5, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Grizzly Creek State Park, Humboldt county California.