Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
My trip out on the Selway Bitterroots a few years ago

Short distance from Big Fog Mtn Trailhead (Canteen basin i think)

Still snow along the crags in early July

We hiked off trail through boulder fields, following the spine of the crags. We went around the back peak in the center of the image below and scaled down a steep draw into this bog (the draw is obscured by the foreground mountain on right). This is the lowest of Lower Three Links lake. We hiked a longass way back up the opposite side of the bog to get to the more pristine Upper Three Links Lakes, but it was completely snowed in so we turned back and had to set up camp in the dark in a bog, exhausted.

Much cleaner, much nicer uppermost lake in Lower Three Links.

Apparently this is a pretty good area to do amaeture rock climbing, we ran into a group with an instructor on top of Jesse Pass

On top of Jesse Pass, about to say goodbye to Lower Three Links Lakes. Apparently if you hike down far enough there is a hotspring (Stuart Springs) that eventually meets up with the trail that runs along the upper Selway River. Maybe an adventure for another time.

From off of Jesse pass we set out for Cove Lakes, I didn't take many pictures here because the forest service clearly had not cleared the trail in a number of years. We lost the trail and spent a lot of time cutting through dense brush, hugging the treeline and generally being miserable. Remember when the Forest Service used to maintain their trails? Guess if you want to preserve the forest you got to keep people from enjoying it. On a side note they have still Fog Mountain Road gated (was there last weekend) for some reason so you can't even get to the trailhead (end rant). We found the last mile of the trail and made it to Cove, but I didn't take any pictures as again we were loving exhausted. I snapped this at dawn as we left Cove, for some reason I never pictured the two lakes. Ah well.

The last day was pretty uneventful. I hiked into Cove lakes from this path a few years ago and I named it "Forever Hill" because it was basically a full day of hiking up one large hill to get to Cove. A bit easier to head down Forever Hill than up. I snapped this photo still near the top, looking out towards the Elk City.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

Probably more that they don't have the money and man power to do as much as they used to.
I grew up right near there but we never went to the Bitterroots much that I remember...did more of what's Salmon-Challis and Frank Church now

Yeah i probably should have left that part out. I grew up in Lowell and returned to live in the area 6 years ago and it's pretty sucky when you can't get to the places you did as a kid. I just remember being excited to get out the first year I moved back and running into gate, after gate, after gate.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Not the greatest quality but I love the picture and the memory of it.
Taken rafting last year, on a beach deep in the canyon of the salmon river accessible only by raft/boat. We watched the the moonlight creep down the mountain behind us before it shone down on the beach. It was a very bright, surreal and cold light. I was also stoned out of my gourd

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Verman posted:

San Juans

Looks like an awesome trip! My uncle has a bungalow on Decatur Island, the San Juans are pretty badass, lots of memories ocean kayaking to Center & Trump island

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mayveena posted:

Even if you don't click on the image? I don't see how that can be. If they put the image as timg, then I see a thumbnail. You're saying the entire picture downloads when the thumbnail is shown? If you click on the image, absolutely, but people should have a choice about that without downloading the whole thing.

Notice how clicking a timg instantly embiggens in without any download time? Timg is a client-side resizing. Pretty sure of this because my rural download speed is rear end and the thumbnails take a while to generate. Also, not to be a dick but, it's a SA frickin photo thread of outdoorsy stuff better believe we got high res up in here