Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

This past January, we went to Yosemite and Death Valley

On top of Nevada Falls, Yosemite

It had rained not too long before we got to Death Valley, so there was about two inches of water at Badwater Basin.

Last summer we went to Yellowstone, Glacier, and Great Basin

Grand Canyon of Yellowstone

The weather wasn't great the first week of June, but Glacier is very pretty.

Inside Lehman Caves at Great Basin

Wheeler Peak at Great Basin. Road was closed so couldn't get too high up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Every January I like to overnight on Rabbit Peak or Villager Peak, which are on the southern end of the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument, just west of Salton Sea.

These are from going to Villager in 2019.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Checked out a plane monument in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park, about 45 minutes east of San Diego. It's slowly coming back into itself after the Cedar Fire in 2003 destroyed a lot of the park.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 27, 2020

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It is desert season, so started off yesterday by doing the Domelands in the Coyote Mountain Wilderness, about 90 minutes east of San Diego

People like to shoot out here but never pick up their brass.

Did some slot canyons

Halfway

These domes used to be sand dunes that hardened and the winds have carved away at them over time for make the formations

Looking north toward Salton Sea

The top of the mountains used to be a seabed a long time ago so there's some marine fossils if you look.

This morning drove up to Mt. Laguna for sunrise and left my phone on potato mode. Oops.

These are all looking east toward Salton Sea and Anza Borrego Desert State Park.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Saturday I went up to Granite Mountain via Cool Canyon out on the western edge of Anza Borrego Desert State Park, seeing as it'll probably be my last desert hike for the season since babby is coming very soon.

I knew Santa Ana's were blowing in, but wasn't expecting 50-60mph gusts for the stretch that went ~4,500ft to the peak at 5,650ft

Overall it was a fun hike, as once you get out of the canyon there's no real trail and it's just making your way up the ridges with some scrambling along the way.

https://i.imgur.com/Xq1IF5J.mp4

This was at 4,600ft

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It's desert time baby! Took a day off last week, went out to Anza Borrego Desert State Park, and went up Whale Peak from the south.

First bit of the route went by some pictographs

Looking east toward Salton Sea

Looking south to the Carrizo Badlands and Sawtooth Mountains

Route down

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Went out to Bighorn Canyon at Anza Borrego Desert State Park with some goons last weekend

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Anza Borrego posted:

This looks real nice. I think we are going to try and get one more desert weekend in before the season runs out. Temps were manageable?

Oh yeah. A few times it was tempting to take off my light jacket due to the heat around 9-10am but the wind from the storms passing through the county were gusting pretty strong so just kept it on.

Probably going to do one or two more outings if I can.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Some stuff since April.

Whale Peak out in Anza Borrego Desert State Park. Took another goon and it was the last desert hike of the season since it broke 100F while we were out the last weekend of April.

Up to Cuyamaca, Japacha, and Stonewall Peaks in Cuyamaca Rancho State Park.

Noble Canyon, part of the Cleveland National Forest.

And this past weekend did a quick bag of Viejas Mountain before it got hot for the day, also part of Cleveland National Forest.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

There was a slight dip in temperature here this week, so after a last minute check I decided to sneak in desert hike over at Anza Borrego Desert State Park instead of my original plan for Saturday. Just gotta start at 6am :eng101:

Got back to the car and it was ~95F at 11am, so overall a good time.

The Aardvark fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 13, 2023

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Decided to wander up to the Santa Rosa and San Jacinto Mountains National Monument since I've done most of the bigger elevation gain hikes in San Diego. Got a bunch of stuff to do now when I can't do the desert rat stuff.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

More San Jacinto Mountains fun, this time around Red and Grey Tahquitz

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Went out to Elephant benchmark in Anza Borrego Desert State Park last weekend and saw some Elephant trees and lots of rocks

Elephant tree

Salton Sea from the benchmark

Carrizo Badlands from the benchmark

The way down and out

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Did my annual overnight to Villager Peak this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Lovely stroll to Goat Canyon Trestle