Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

prom candy posted:

What's your situation? Do you guys have a lake house or would you be driving around to different bodies of water to put in? With a jon boat you need a trailer and a proper boat ramp whereas with kayaks you can put in anywhere. But loading and unloading four kayaks from a car or truck will also be a pain (and that's where lighter smaller kids kayaks would help.)

We live within walking distance of a pond that we do most of our fishing in because of convenience but we live within 10 minutes of a rather large lake that if we have some sort of water craft I could see us putting in multiple times per week. The transportation and loading/unloading is a definite concern. I have a truck but I'd need to add racks and/or a trailer to use anything we invested in

Syano fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It takes me about 15 minutes to solo-load my fishing my kayak on to my civic. It's less work with a truck but you still have to tie it down really securely. I'm not sure how much work it would be to load and launch a jon boat vs. four kayaks. If the lake is fairly large you might be better off with the jon boat although at the same time you can get places on the lake with a yak that you can't get with a jon boat. gently caress it man the world is ending just buy a bass boat and a bunch of yaks.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

prom candy posted:

gently caress it man the world is ending just buy a bunch of yaks.

The summer heat really gets the musky smell going.

Years and years ago when my grandpa had property in upstate NY, we'd take trips up there and go paddle around in a canoe on some of the lakes/rivers/streams. It was a big old aluminum canoe that would hold my grandpa, uncle, my dad, 8 year old me, and a cooler or two. The property, the canoe, and grandpa are all gone, but they're some of my favorite memories. Since then, I've been in kayaks of a few varieties, some more fun than others, tried stand up paddleboards (definitely not for me), and this weekend was the first time I've been in a canoe in close to two decades and it instantly brought me back. I had a big doofy smile on my face the whole time.

I want a fuckin' canoe.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
So I left my kayak on my car because I plan on going kayaking soon and didn't want to take it off and put it back on again.

We had a thunderstorm last night.

It's probably filled with water. :suicide:

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

prom candy posted:

gently caress it man the world is ending just buy a bass boat and a bunch of yaks.

:( yeah....

Or get rid of some kids

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Syano posted:

:( yeah....

Or get rid of some kids

Surely there’s somewhere that will trade children for kayaks.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Let me ask this... are fishing focused kayaks useful for anything else? Like day paddling or heading down a river?

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Pennywise the Frown posted:

So I left my kayak on my car because I plan on going kayaking soon and didn't want to take it off and put it back on again.

We had a thunderstorm last night.

It's probably filled with water. :suicide:

You don’t put it on cockpit down? Always cockpit down.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

prom candy posted:

It takes me about 15 minutes to solo-load my fishing my kayak on to my civic. It's less work with a truck but you still have to tie it down really securely. I'm not sure how much work it would be to load and launch a jon boat vs. four kayaks. If the lake is fairly large you might be better off with the jon boat although at the same time you can get places on the lake with a yak that you can't get with a jon boat. gently caress it man the world is ending just buy a bass boat and a bunch of yaks.

Loading kayaks into a truck bed takes about 10% of the effort as getting them onto a car. It’s like 1-2 tied downs and you are good plus half the loading height. I’ve spent years with both situations and it’s not bad with a truck.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I poo poo talk trucks all the time but I would really like to have one every time I'm loading my kayak (which isn't often since it mostly lives at the cottage)

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

prom candy posted:

I poo poo talk trucks all the time but I would really like to have one every time I'm loading my kayak (which isn't often since it mostly lives at the cottage)

Loaded mine and my gf's kayak onto the top of a honda pilot all last summer, and it was a real pain in the rear end the entire time.

1) gotta buy the correct crossbars ($100) to attach to the load bars, oh wait there's a model year split from '08 to '09 or whatever that was, we've got the wrong ones
2) gotta buy the dual kayak carrier ($100) ohh cool the fasteners aren't stainless so now there's rust drips all over the roof
3) loading the yaks up over head height one at a time, then getting the straps around the right way, and cool you keep dropping the buckles on the roof so that's scratching the paint up
4) did we really get the straps cinched the right way? better get out and check, oh great one slid sideways, good thing we stopped
5) did you remember to fold the J-hooks down before you drove into the garage? hope you never forget!

Compared to loading into the back of a little Colorado I picked up cheap last year:
1) flip the tailgate down
2) toss the suckers in
3) one strap goes from one side of the box, through the yaks' end handles, to the other side of the box. ratchet it snug and yer done.

Also now that you have a truck, you can haul your bicycles around, pick up and get rid of furniture & appliances, bring home a bunch of stone, sacks of concrete, a mixer, pavers, dimensional lumber, car parts, yard waste... I used to just use a station wagon for everything and thumb my nose at pickups, but this little thing has been well worth the $3.5k I put down. If you can, go get one. Power nothing, 2wd, 5-banger, contractor white, it'll go.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
A truck says that a person is a rugged individual that's open to performing manual labour and I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea about me.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I am ultra new to kayaks (uh, gone twice on sit on top ones) but love the nimbleness vs most canoes I have been in. I had already been planning to buy one this summer, last year, but had some sudden health things go on (not 'rona). Didn't see the point of buying one post abdominal surgery with a 10lb lifting limit.

Now they all seem to be sold out, although 2ndary market has a few. I am planning on shelling out for a 2 hour kayak lesson (group classes all cancelled) at the big paddlesports store in town. My YouTube education makes me think I am not paddling correctly, and if I can do it smarter from the start, good.

What would you look to avoid in second hand yak purchasing? My goal is to get a touring one so I can stuff my small hammock camping set up in the hatch, and do mostly lake or take river stuff. When I am better at it, I want to hit the Apostle Isles. Precision looks to have a good price point. Looking to spend not more than $750.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

prom candy posted:

A truck says that a person is a rugged individual that's open to performing manual labour and I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea about me.

:hmmyes:

Also, no one with a station wagon ever gets asked to help a friend move.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Syano posted:

Let me ask this... are fishing focused kayaks useful for anything else? Like day paddling or heading down a river?

mine is made for fishing and i don't fish, use it multiple times a week for day paddling 9 months out of the year, but i guess it depends on the model too. since i mainly go by myself it's nice to have a very stable and comfortable kayak

as for the other discussion about loading a kayak on my car i place towel on the roof and lean the kayak against the side of my car, then lift the back and pivot the kayak onto my roof front to back, throw some foam pads underneath and two straps and i'm good to go within ~2 or 3 minutes. roof has some scratches from doing it so frequently but i figure its a decent trade off for being able to load up without being too stressed

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Syano posted:

I'll take mine out for a paddle around the lake with my wife, it's fine but I'm sure a boat purpose-built to cover water would be a lot better. She just has an inflatable SUP and they're both fine for a lazy paddle with the dog on a calm day. It depends on what you think you're going to be doing most of the time I think. If you were looking for a mix you can definitely rig a rec kayak for fishing. This is what I was fishing out of before I bought my pescador:

I fished out of it before I had the crate and rod holders too. You only need 2 things for kayak fishing: a kayak and a fishing rod. Everything else is gravy.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

prom candy posted:

I'll take mine out for a paddle around the lake with my wife, it's fine but I'm sure a boat purpose-built to cover water would be a lot better. She just has an inflatable SUP and they're both fine for a lazy paddle with the dog on a calm day. It depends on what you think you're going to be doing most of the time I think. If you were looking for a mix you can definitely rig a rec kayak for fishing. This is what I was fishing out of before I bought my pescador:

I fished out of it before I had the crate and rod holders too. You only need 2 things for kayak fishing: a kayak and a fishing rod. Everything else is gravy.

Yeah makes sense... after talking about it a couple days I think we are going to do 3 yaks... 1 for each of the older boys and then a tandem for me and the younger and then we can just upgrade him when the time comes. We are going to buy a utility trailer and add racks to it for transport (unless I think I can get all 3 on a truck rack). Probably going to start looking in the next month or so to hopefully be able to get them by Christmas

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Syano posted:

I just bought a fishing kayak as my first kayak, and I have no immediate intentions to actually fish on it. For me, it just had a lot of qualities I really wanted in a kayak:

- Sit on top
- It tracks well and is still fairly fast
- Holds a lot of weight and cargo
- Lots of options for accessories and customization
- I can (theoretically) do stand-up paddling
- Nicer seat
- And, personally, I think fishing ones just look cooler.

They can definitely function perfectly fine outside of actually fishing, just compare features and figure out the things you really want out of kayak.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

I am ultra new to kayaks (uh, gone twice on sit on top ones) but love the nimbleness vs most canoes I have been in. I had already been planning to buy one this summer, last year, but had some sudden health things go on (not 'rona). Didn't see the point of buying one post abdominal surgery with a 10lb lifting limit.

Now they all seem to be sold out, although 2ndary market has a few. I am planning on shelling out for a 2 hour kayak lesson (group classes all cancelled) at the big paddlesports store in town. My YouTube education makes me think I am not paddling correctly, and if I can do it smarter from the start, good.

What would you look to avoid in second hand yak purchasing? My goal is to get a touring one so I can stuff my small hammock camping set up in the hatch, and do mostly lake or take river stuff. When I am better at it, I want to hit the Apostle Isles. Precision looks to have a good price point. Looking to spend not more than $750.

Avoid anything that started life at a Walmart or Menards. Even a bargain outdoors store like a Dunhams can get Perception or other mid tier brands. I've had kayaks all the way from a Skerray 17' to my current Perception sit on top. I found that I never needed what the Skerray was capable of, rarely need what my mid-tier Tsunami 140 was capable of, and am very happy with my sit on top Perception Pescador. For your use I'd look at a 12' boat, but when you say touring I think longer skinnier boats. The longer the boat the narrower they can make the whole thing (which reduces drag) so you can paddle it further with less effort. But the initial stability is reduced. A beginner really likes high initial stability, where someone with great paddle control excels in a boat with less initial stability. The longer the boat the better tracking (usually) but it will also maneuver a bit slower.

Something like a Pungo 12 is a pretty chill unit with a decently comfortable seat. You can still buy a skirt for it if you desire. It'll have a single bulkhead for some gear, but you won't be storing much gear in it. My uncle has a few Pungos and virtually anyone can jump right in, paddle, and have fun. There is also a Tsunami 12.5 that is higher performance. (And narrower cockpit) I really liked my Tsunami 140, so I bet the 125 is a good boat too. A friend had an Old Town 14' and it paddled like a milk crate, I could consistently outpace him even though I am in worse shape, the hull form sucked. I've used Wilderness Systems stuff as an example because it's pretty common and you can explore alternatives yourself.

I've never kayak'd the Apostles but Lake Superior is a special kind of animal. I'm near Pictured Rocks and without fail, every year, someone gets in trouble using a totally inadequate Sun Dolphin 8 foot or some dumb Walmart boat. Usually it's August and they are close enough to shore to not die. There is all sorts of signage posted now about it and that has helped. But even in August hypothermia is very real for anything away from shore. Make sure you are very comfortable with self rescue and probably wear a wet suit if you are straying any distance from the cliffs.

PM me if you ever end up in the UP, I can put you on some good kayaking.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
another beautiful day to paddle

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Recommend me a boat post:

Thinking canoe - want to carry my wife and our dog (40lb) plus small cooler and odds-n-ends for river/lake paddles. Priorities would be side to side stability and low weight for hoisting up on top of a Ford Transit Connect (6 foot high roof line). Comfort and maneuverability would be second tier, speed and capability in rough water would be of least concern. Size/type/brand/materials??? Would be a bonus if I could put a little electric motor on it for going upstream and/or days where we just don't want to paddle!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

amenenema posted:

Thinking canoe - want to carry my wife and our dog (40lb) plus small cooler and odds-n-ends for river/lake paddles. Priorities would be side to side stability and low weight for hoisting up on top of a Ford Transit Connect (6 foot high roof line). Comfort and maneuverability would be second tier, speed and capability in rough water would be of least concern. Size/type/brand/materials??? Would be a bonus if I could put a little electric motor on it for going upstream and/or days where we just don't want to paddle!

yes i am a shill for native watercraft but this is a hybrid kayak/canoe that i believe would fit your needs:
https://nativewatercraft.com/product/ultimate-14-5-tandem/

there's other models that have pedals or engines as well

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I know it’s on the heavier side, but a budget option is trawling Craigslist for a big ol aluminum Grumman or Alumicraft canoe, which can be had for $100-200, depending on where you are. They’re indestructible and basically flip-proof; my friend overturned his truck and trailer of 8 such canoes on the freeway and he only needed to patch two. My fiancée and I are capable of hefting them onto said trailer. Also they can hold all of your camping gear and let the pupper walk around a bit.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My buddy just got back from a good little epic. A "5-7 day moderate" canoe trip took him 4 days. You're back early! Ya, it was like max 52 F the whole time, the wind dumped me, I'm dumb and didn't use dry bags, so I paddled non stop and pulled over and paced while it was dark. Haha, good job mate

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Epitope posted:

My buddy just got back from a good little epic. A "5-7 day moderate" canoe trip took him 4 days. You're back early! Ya, it was like max 52 F the whole time, the wind dumped me, I'm dumb and didn't use dry bags, so I paddled non stop and pulled over and paced while it was dark. Haha, good job mate

:cripes: lol

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I got to use my new paddle today, huge improvement even on my big pig fishing kayak. It's just way lighter and less tiring to use. Water was like glass most of today, here's the sun peeking out this morning

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

prom candy posted:

I got to use my new paddle today, huge improvement even on my big pig fishing kayak. It's just way lighter and less tiring to use. Water was like glass most of today, here's the sun peeking out this morning

that is beautiful :love:

more pictures from everyone please

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Water can get muddy as hell after flooding, but you can always find cool stuff.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Had an older hobie that was getting beat up, sold to a buddy a few weeks ago. Already miss it, so going to check out a Predator 13 later today.

Prices are nuts right now. There's one local for sale that is legit beat to poo poo, but has a transom mounted trolling motor (nothing fancy, a 45lb minn kota freshwater) with the head remote mounted and asking 1900. No accessories, nothing but the yak and motor. gently caress that noise.

This one is a few years old but barely used, already has rudder and anchor trolley plus a bunch of other accessories. Asking a grand so we'll see what happens.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I desperately want a pack canoe but I don't live close enough to the adirondacks (not really) for it to be worth it :smith:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Did a thing

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Liquid Communism posted:

Three feet's fine. You can float a kayak in a foot.

Get to it. :v:

Sure, it's enough for the kayak but you also have less room to "share" (aka try not to get run over) with the jet skiers, fishers in jon boats and rec boaters. It gets tiring dodging the drunks on sea doos at low water. :smith:

Good news is that the monsoon season arrived and the rivers are replenished. Now I've just gotta find a little time in between thunderstorms to sneak in some yak time.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I’m still on a loaner kayak right now, but I have been shopping around and I really like the Vibe Shearwater 125 for a future purchase. Anyone got one and have thoughts?

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Is Vibe still doing the cyan and black camo job on their kayaks? Because I almost got a Vibe Skipjack last year solely from how good that looked.:blush:

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Got my first 10ft kayak this summer, I'm so happy to be a lake person now.

WTF kind of boat is this??

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Colonel J posted:

WTF kind of boat is this??

The best kind.

nerox
May 20, 2001

MrYenko posted:

The best kind.

To answer this question seriously though, its a pontoon boat.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Got out for a little time on the water after work yesterday and finally it was windy enough to actually use the sail. It worked well enough for us to paddle around upwind and sail back to the dock when we were done. Not bad

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

amenenema posted:

Budget is a pretty important marker. I have a Souris River Quetico 16' and that would check all of your boxes but being a Kevlar ultralight canoe they aren't particularly cheap new.

42lbs, can carry a week's worth of supplies for 2 people, is stable for fishing or stowing a restless passenger and tracks very well.

Edit: I'm not sure I would necessarily want to mount a motor to a Kevlar canoe... You might want to do your own research on that.

Math You fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

My 2 cents is that if weight is only a concern for loading/unloading the canoe... don't really make it a big concern. If you're always going with your wife unless she is disabled two adults can easily lift a canoe the way the weight is distributed. Thats paying a lot of up front and the lighter the canoe the more fragile it is in general, and more expensive to repair (often).

Canoe shopping is extremely regional so if you post your area or whatever im happy to look on CL/FB marketplace too. I'm not like ~an expert~ on every market but it really sounds like you'd do good with A Canoe, your needs are pretty chill.

Just going for something lightweight usually puts you into the enthusiast market.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 6, 2020