Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh sure, just ignore the boat thread i made <:mad:>
Anyway-

Packraft supremacy. No need to learn how to actually navigate rapids and other swift water hazards, just get an overpriced pool toy and bumper boat through it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Na just joshin ya. I hope more people post about boating. Boating boating boating.

I haven't taken a lazy river ride like that since moving away from Indiana. Lots of good ones in IN, and warm water so no stress if you tip over.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My buddy just got back from a good little epic. A "5-7 day moderate" canoe trip took him 4 days. You're back early! Ya, it was like max 52 F the whole time, the wind dumped me, I'm dumb and didn't use dry bags, so I paddled non stop and pulled over and paced while it was dark. Haha, good job mate

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Patagooch pimping some sweet water and working to rally us for conservation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR_69AnAg1Y

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Casual Encountess posted:

spent all weekend on a lake in new hampshire on a bunch of toys so now im trying to decide how to make it happen where i live. i dont have a car but i live a quarter mile from a river.

im pretty new to all this water stuff having done it maybe once or twice a year since i became an adult but never regularly but i got to use a pedal kayak this weekend and im super into it as a professional cyclist. id be fine with a non pedal version too since it seems expensive.

theres a kayak/canoe rental place directly at the closest point of the river to me, which rules. im not at all ready to buy yet, but i can at least try a bunch of models out. i dont see myself hauling it far or throwing it in the ocean, its almost entirely going to be a vehicle for hanging out with a large dog, a friend, or maybe my partner on a pretty calm river.

i have a trailer for one of my bicycles to launch from more adventurous spots, but it will almost entirely live its life being carried/dragged less than a mile. is it going to suck complete rear end always lugging a two person boat even if im riding solo?

Maybe look at an inflatable? There will be compromises vs a rigid boat, but way more transportable without an automobile.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Inflatables are rad but there's no question there are trade offs. If you don't care about the packability and stowability advantages, rigid is probably what you want.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Trying the collapsible buddy found in his new garage. Dry suits year round up here

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I tried to start boating up here (Alaska) without a drysuit, and quickly realized I was going to die. It's an investment, but then you're in.

Haven't gotten many photos of this thing yet. Still deciding if we're going to hold on to it. We probably should, it's a nice companion to the pack raft fleet. We've already got all the accessories. Maybe it gets us on a sea kayaking trip. I did that once, Petersburg to Kake. That was an amazing and terrifying week.
Here's some discussion
https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/5017/
This one smells pretty ok, and seems water tight from the one time we've had it out.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Doing it in plastic boats terrified me.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hey now, I may have thousands of dollars in boating gear, but my pfd is dirtbag

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Rafters be like

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My canoer buddy and I did the local urban float, tight 2- meandering along a bike path. We went packrafts so he could try it out. I offered him a beer and he said no I want to be 100% for boating (he doesn't know how easy rafts make this). He said "about an hour" float time, which I thought sounded like an underestimate. Oh, because you paddle non stop! We blasted by Margarita Eddy like we're in a race. He cracked his beer at the take out, and kept sipping it while driving back to get the bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I also prefer nothing between my hand and the shaft